Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berek

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Very disappointed in not only how they're handling this, but lack of new movies being available that we know have a 3D version to it.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Weird - I've been buying Movies via iTunes for 15 years years (holy **** I'm old) and I have like 30 films in my purchased library that all automatically updated to 3D versions for viewing on my Vision Pro. I hope you guys get this resolved - that was a big element of my decision to not return this.

Last edited:

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
I still buy hard copies of some movies, and the majority of those don't have the 3D option for me. Not having Avatar 2 in 3D is a bummer as the Apple TV app is much better than the Disney+ app due to the larger screen size.

Reactions: rwmson

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
What the hell Apple? I checked my 3D library and saw Godzilla vs Kong was there on Wednesday and tonight it’s not available in 3D. I bought it ONE MONTH AGO and now I can’t watch it in 3D.

• Wow
Reactions: Torty

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
So I FINALLY called Apple Support and spoke to a senior advisor and explained everything to him and he said there have been multiple cases about the AVP missing 3D movies. I shared my screen with him and showed how I’m (newly) missing Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse from my library even though it shows that I do in fact own it and how if I search for it it should be in 3D. I even showed him my note about the movies I’m missing and he took notes because I had noted on a few of the movies how I purchased it and on what date. He put me on hold and spoke to another department that dealt with media and then he told me he’d call me back cause he needed more time. When he called back he said he talked with someone there but it would take a few days before they would get back to me so they’ll get back to me on Thursday.

And yes I was on the most up to date released software and I’m still missing movies. I did a full reset and it did fix my Godzilla vs Kong issue but missing Spider-Man: ITS is a new issue for me. I also explained that Jackass 3 is playing in 2D no matter which option I choose.

Reactions: geauxmac

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
So I’m on the phone with Apple Support again and they are telling me that in their system the movies I’ve mentioned to them are showing up as being purchased through Movies Anywhere and that’s why they aren’t available to me in 3D, but I have email receipts from the iTunes Store about a few of the movies. In the Movies Anywhere app it does show that some of the movies I’m missing were bought through them so if I want them in 3D I’ll have to purchase them again and gift them to myself, but the weird thing is that I’m 99.99% sure that I had Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse in my 3D collection and I watched the first 10 minutes of it a few weeks ago but that’s not there anymore and the MA app does say it was bought through them so I don’t know what is going on. What I may do is disconnect my iTunes account from Movies Anywhere, reset my AVP and see if the movies I’m missing show up for me or not.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
So I’m on the phone with Apple Support again and they are telling me that in their system the movies I’ve mentioned to them are showing up as being purchased through Movies Anywhere and that’s why they aren’t available to me in 3D, but I have email receipts from the iTunes Store about a few of the movies. In the Movies Anywhere app it does show that some of the movies I’m missing were bought through them so if I want them in 3D I’ll have to purchase them again and gift them to myself, but the weird thing is that I’m 99.99% sure that I had Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse in my 3D collection and I watched the first 10 minutes of it a few weeks ago but that’s not there anymore and the MA app does say it was bought through them so I don’t know what is going on. What I may do is disconnect my iTunes account from Movies Anywhere, reset my AVP and see if the movies I’m missing show up for me or not.

I’m going to call them again because I’d never even heard of Movies Anywhere until I ran into this issue and started researching users who were having similar problems let alone associated my iTunes account with it nor redeemed any codes for movies. I quit buying movies on disc well over a decade ago and have bought every digital movie I own from Apple. One of these days I’ll keep telling myself I’ ll go back and rip all of my old DVD’s but if I like the movie enough I just wind up buying it digitally from Apple anyway since the digital versions have better resolutions than those old DVD’s now anyway. It’s still only Dr. Strange for me but I’m not buying the “it was probably mislabeled” explanation I was given early on in this. I’m hoping it’s been long enough I’ll speak with somebody who knows more about this now than they did when I called the first time.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
It’s still only Dr. Strange for me but I’m not buying the “it was probably mislabeled” explanation I was given early on in this. I’m hoping it’s been long enough I’ll speak with somebody who knows more about this now than they did when I called the first time.

Honestly I’m not sure if the person I’ve been speaking is being honest with me or just BS’ing me; according to him on Apple’s computers the movies that I have ACTUAL iTunes email receipts for (Dr. Strange, Coco, The Suicide Squad (2021)) are coming up as being bought from Movies Anywhere but the MA app and the phone support both say I bought the movies from iTunes. I tried removing my iTunes account from Movies Anywhere but that didn’t fix anything (I’ll leave it that way for a few days in case something takes longer to acknowledge) but at this point I just have the movies on my CheapCharts wishlist and setup alerts for when they go below certain price points I’ll just get them again cause I’m just tired of all this crap.

Apple support told me to tell MA that they had to remove them from my library but MA support told me that iTunes has to send a refund request (or something like that) and they’ll remove them. I’m just tired of all of this.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
I have a few movies that are supposedly available in 3D but I obtained them in someplace other than iTunes so only 2D for me…
However since I already own them iTunes won’t let me buy them again. I was told I can buy and gift to myself but don’t seem to find a way to do that.
Anyone know how to gift themselves a movie?

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I have a few movies that are supposedly available in 3D but I obtained them in someplace other than iTunes so only 2D for me…
However since I already own them iTunes won’t let me buy them again. I was told I can buy and gift to myself but don’t seem to find a way to do that.
Anyone know how to gift themselves a movie?
Yup.

Go in the iTunes Store, search for Beyoncé, pick an album, tap on her name, scroll to the bottom and you’ll see her movies like Austin Powers, then all you do is tap actors names until you can get to the movie you’re looking for, then do the share thing and gift it to yourself.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Honestly I’m not sure if the person I’ve been speaking is being honest with me or just BS’ing me; according to him on Apple’s computers the movies that I have ACTUAL iTunes email receipts for (Dr. Strange, Coco, The Suicide Squad (2021)) are coming up as being bought from Movies Anywhere but the MA app and the phone support both say I bought the movies from iTunes. I tried removing my iTunes account from Movies Anywhere but that didn’t fix anything (I’ll leave it that way for a few days in case something takes longer to acknowledge) but at this point I just have the movies on my CheapCharts wishlist and setup alerts for when they go below certain price points I’ll just get them again cause I’m just tired of all this crap.

Apple support told me to tell MA that they had to remove them from my library but MA support told me that iTunes has to send a refund request (or something like that) and they’ll remove them. I’m just tired of all of this.

Yeah that sucks but there is more than just the Movies Anywhere thing going on here. I went all digital more than a decade ago and haven’t bought a disc with a digital redemption code ever. All of my purchases have come directly from Apple via their store. Granted for me it’s only Dr. Strange that I’m having this issue with, all of the other films I own that have 3D versions work without problems and I can stream it in 3D on Disney+ so it’s not the huge PITA that it is for you but I’ll keep calling until they fix it because once they acknowledge it and fix it for one of us it’s going to hopefully get resolved for everybody.

I called last night and got a really good technician on the phone who knew about the Movies Anywhere issue and since I knew the exact date when I bought the film from calling previously he had no trouble looking it up and seeing it was a legitimate purchase direct from Apple, he confirmed that it wasn’t a media labeling issue like the first rep I called weeks ago had said and this rep said there is no doubt I should be seeing the 3D option.

There was just one gotcha. Since I’m running a beta he can’t forward it on to engineering yet but he told me if I took it to the Apple Store they’d downgrade it to a non-beta for free and then he could get it right over to engineering. I thanked him but told him I’ll wait for the release version to see if it’s still an issue. The Apple Store is a 35 minute drive there and another 35 minutes drive back for me and since everything else works and I can still stream Dr. Strange in 3D via Disney+ it’s not worth it but I have confidence he’ll take it as far as he can when 1.2 is released if it’s not fixed.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I called last night and got a really good technician on the phone who knew about the Movies Anywhere issue and since I knew the exact date when I bought the film from calling previously he had no trouble looking it up and seeing it was a legitimate purchase direct from Apple, he confirmed that it wasn’t a media labeling issue like the first rep I called weeks ago had said and this rep said there is no doubt I should be seeing the 3D option.

There was just one gotcha. Since I’m running a beta he can’t forward it on to engineering yet but he told me if I took it to the Apple Store they’d downgrade it to a non-beta for free and then he could get it right over to engineering. I thanked him but told him I’ll wait for the release version to see if it’s still an issue. The Apple Store is a 35 minute drive there and another 35 minutes drive back for me and since everything else works and I can still stream Dr. Strange in 3D via Disney+ it’s not worth it but I have confidence he’ll take it as far as he can when 1.2 is released if it’s not fixed.
Could you have your technician get in touch with me cause I’m on the current official release software and I’m still having that issue and my technician told me I had to get in touch with Movies Anywhere and tell them to disconnect the movies I’m having issues with and MA told me they need something from Apple to remove the movie.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Could you have your technician get in touch with me cause I’m on the current official release software and I’m still having that issue and my technician told me I had to get in touch with Movies Anywhere and tell them to disconnect the movies I’m having issues with and MA told me they need something from Apple to remove the movie.

I’d be happy to e-mail him and see if he can help you out though I don’t know if they are allowed to jump into cases that aren’t assigned to them. I’ll e-mail him and find out and if he can then have you DM me a way for him to contact you. Just out of curiosity how did you initiate your support call? Did you pickup the phone and call in or get a session started via the Apple Support app on the device and have them call you?

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
So the senior technician called me earlier and informed me that he saw that the mistake was on Apple’s side about some of the movies (Coco, Dr. Strange, The Suicide Squad (2021)) and not being available in 3D for me (even though I bought them from iTunes directly) and Apple will need to look into it to get the problem fixed and I should hear back from him in a few days.

I’m glad he FINALLY figured it out because originally they said I had to go through Movies Anywhere and MA said it was on Apple to fix it. At this point I was honestly ready to tell them never mind and that I would just rebuy them again. Or I was going to say they should just credit me the price of the movies, and I’ll rebuy them.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
So the senior technician called me earlier and informed me that he saw that the mistake was on Apple’s side about some of the movies (Coco, Dr. Strange, The Suicide Squad (2021)) and not being available in 3D for me (even though I bought them from iTunes directly) and Apple will need to look into it to get the problem fixed and I should hear back from him in a few days.

I’m glad he FINALLY figured it out because originally they said I had to go through Movies Anywhere and MA said it was on Apple to fix it. At this point I was honestly ready to tell them never mind and that I would just rebuy them again. Or I was going to say they should just credit me the price of the movies, and I’ll rebuy them.

Glad to hear they got it fixed! Hopefully if they get it figured out for you it goes into a knowledge base other support reps can use when others call in about it. I’m pretty sure I’m get the same result if it’s not fixed in the forthcoming betas or in the final v1.2 release based my last interaction with support.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Glad to hear they got it fixed! Hopefully if they get it figured out for you it goes into a knowledge base other support reps can use when others call in about it. I’m pretty sure I’m get the same result if it’s not fixed in the forthcoming betas or in the final v1.2 release based my last interaction with support.
It isn’t fixed yet, but it did sound like they do see that there is something wrong that needs to be fixed; now I’m just waiting for them to resolve it somehow.

Reactions: geauxmac

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Today’s call from the technician was a laugh: they tried to tell me that 2 of the movies I was asking about aren’t available in 3D so I had to show them on the device that they are available and apparently The Suicide Squad (2021) isn’t available in 3D though I could’ve sworn it was.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
There is a weird situation where companies will re-list their movies and even though you own it you don’t own the latest version of the movie; many of these you’ll see an option to buy again in the listing - ones that you get through Movies Anywhere I don’t think have this option and sadly don’t provide you the 3D copy currently.

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
There is a weird situation where companies will re-list their movies and even though you own it you don’t own the latest version of the movie; many of these you’ll see an option to buy again in the listing - ones that you get through Movies Anywhere I don’t think have this option and sadly don’t provide you the 3D copy currently.
I’ve definitely purchased the same item multiple times especially music videos. I guess a unique id that persists over time would be too much to ask.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I understand what you’re saying completely and for some of the movies on my list I realized were bought through Movies Anywhere but for the few movies that SHOULD be available in 3D for me I’m going to keep on them until I get the versions that I should have.

And none of the movies are re-listed and I know this because they aren’t available to be purchased again. I’ve gone through that experience before and it’s dumb.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
It's maddening that they have this weird caveat that if you got your iTunes version from redeeming a code (they almost all require you to redeem in Movies Anywhere), you don't get the 3D version. And you also have no way to purchase it again anyway, so if you're a 3D enthusiast who (like me) buys most of your movies on disc, you're kinda SOL huh?

Reactions: fatTribble

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
It's maddening that they have this weird caveat that if you got your iTunes version from redeeming a code (they almost all require you to redeem in Movies Anywhere), you don't get the 3D version. And you also have no way to purchase it again anyway, so if you're a 3D enthusiast who (like me) buys most of your movies on disc, you're kinda SOL huh?
There’s a hoop you can jump through to gift it to yourself. It involves the iTunes Store and Beyoncé and buying the movie to gift it to yourself.

Reactions: jigzaw

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
There’s a hoop you can jump through to gift it to yourself. It involves the iTunes Store and Beyoncé and buying the movie to gift it to yourself.
I used to be able to “gift” myself a title I already owned but I can no longer find the gift option…
Am I missing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.