Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
My S4 Hermes is still my daily along with numerous Hermes band. But seeing my other half wearing the S5, I'm more and more intended to upgrade. Originally wanted the ceramic, but due to pricing, am thinking on settling with a Titanium since it also pairs more with my bands and my daily formal outfit. I'm thinking of not getting AppleCare+ since the $199 for Titanium doesn't really justify in comparison to my Hermes AppleCare+ (same price) and I also intend to possibly upgrade to S6 if there are sufficient changes. What are your thoughts on upgrading to TI S5 with no AppleCare+ from a Hermes S4?

GRT89521

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2018
My S4 Hermes is still my daily along with numerous Hermes band. But seeing my other half wearing the S5, I'm more and more intended to upgrade. Originally wanted the ceramic, but due to pricing, am thinking on settling with a Titanium since it also pairs more with my bands and my daily formal outfit. I'm thinking of not getting AppleCare+ since the $199 for Titanium doesn't really justify in comparison to my Hermes AppleCare+ (same price) and I also intend to possibly upgrade to S6 if there are sufficient changes. What are your thoughts on upgrading to TI S5 with no AppleCare+ from a Hermes S4?

I've had S0, S2, S3 all in Aluminum, S2 Ceramic, and S4 Hermes. I love the S4 Hermes but I still believe the Ceramic is my favorite apple watch I've owned. Pairing it with the Space Black Link bracelet looked so good. I'm really struggling not buying the S5 Ceramic but I really don't need it for any purpose. The Titanium is an eye-catcher for sure. At this point, I would wait on the S5, and see what S6 looks like. Plus, as I did, you can buy the S5 Ceramic used in October for 60% of what they are new.

Last edited:

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
I've had Alu

I've had S0, S2, S3 all in Aluminum, S2 Ceramic, and S4 Hermes. I love the S4 Hermes but I still believe the Ceramic is my favorite apple watch I've owned. Pairing it with the Space Black Link bracelet looked so good. I'm really struggling not buying the S5 Ceramic but I really don't need it for any purpose. The Titanium is an eye-catcher for sure. At this point, I would wait on the S5, and see what S6 looks like. Plus, as I did, you can buy the S5 Ceramic used in October for 60% of what they are new.

Yeah, I've been on eBay the past month looking at people throwing out S5 Ceramic as well and for now since it's still the current version, ain't justifying the price for a S4 vs S5 upgrade to me now. The AOD seems like more and more of a huge deal to me and the TI is kind of a price in between to upgrade (excuse to upgrade since new material as well? haha). Still on the edge, just hope I can know whether TI will be a continuous offer (if it's S5 only, I may upgrade now). Also heard from the Apple store rep that there hasn't been too many people trying on the TI demos in store so really makes me think it may possibly only be offered for one year.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

I'd wait. In 3 weeks we'll be 1/2 way to S6. After not upgrading the processor in the S5 I'm fairly certain Apple will for S6. And who knows what other benefits it'll bring?

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand

My S4 Hermes is my sleep tracker and a S5 SS is my daily. That’s how much difference the AOD makes to me.

I should offer some background however. I’m in New Zealand and we only got an LTE carrier in December. That meant when I replaced my S0 SS with an S3 it had to be aluminium. I’m a wheelchair user and the Al watch glass isnt tough enough for the eating it can get, so the second Apple offered LTE here I bought the SS S5 (we still don’t get Edition or Hermes here). I wanted to import an SS previously but they couldn’t be services here if they develop a fault.

Not long after getting the SS S5 an S4 Hermes came up on a local auction site and I ended up getting it for NZ$800 (about US$500). I bought it for the bands and while I’d love to wear it I like the AOD too much.

I’m personally waiting for the S6 to decide what to do next, but I am importing an S5 Hermes as a birthday gift for my wife as she is using an S4 Al currently.

None of that is to offer you any advice, but to underline how much of a game changer AOD is for me.
[automerge]1583436682[/automerge]
Actually there is more to the above. I’m sort of in the same position wondering if I should buy a SBSS Hermes S5 rather than wait for S6. For now I don’t want to diminish my wife’s gift by buying myself a Hermes also, and I don’t know if I want a black daily having only has silver Al or SS until now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swenyly

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
My S4 Hermes is my sleep tracker and a S5 SS is my daily. That’s how much difference the AOD makes to me.

I should offer some background however. I’m in New Zealand and we only got an LTE carrier in December. That meant when I replaced my S0 SS with an S3 it had to be aluminium. I’m a wheelchair user and the Al watch glass isnt tough enough for the eating it can get, so the second Apple offered LTE here I bought the SS S5 (we still don’t get Edition or Hermes here). I wanted to import an SS previously but they couldn’t be services here if they develop a fault.

Not long after getting the SS S5 an S4 Hermes came up on a local auction site and I ended up getting it for NZ$800 (about US$500). I bought it for the bands and while I’d love to wear it I like the AOD too much.

I’m personally waiting for the S6 to decide what to do next, but I am importing an S5 Hermes as a birthday gift for my wife as she is using an S4 Al currently.

None of that is to offer you any advice, but to underline how much of a game changer AOD is for me.
[automerge]1583436682[/automerge]
Actually there is more to the above. I’m sort of in the same position wondering if I should buy a SBSS Hermes S5 rather than wait for S6. For now I don’t want to diminish my wife’s gift by buying myself a Hermes also, and I don’t know if I want a black daily having only has silver Al or SS until now.

That's a LOT of Apple Watches. I came from a S0 SS to S4 Hermes because of the battery and finally cosmetic change. Main reason to wanting to upgrade S5 is TI and also AOD of course (cosmetic differences to me, a lot of elegant having the screen on all the time).

I tried on the Hermes SBSS previously and just didn't like it at all personally. It doesn't match with any of my bands I have and I'm just not a big fan of the black Hermes faces. Having said that, the black Hermes leather band is beautiful but I wouldn't buy a watch to match a band. Would only do the vice versa.

Reactions: FenC

oarx

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
So!

I'm trying to get into the Hermes club this coming September but would love to buy a noir band before then. If anyone has a single tour noir band with the black hardware that they've never worn and would like to part with....let me know!

Reactions: rosegoldoli

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
That's a LOT of Apple Watches. I came from a S0 SS to S4 Hermes because of the battery and finally cosmetic change. Main reason to wanting to upgrade S5 is TI and also AOD of course (cosmetic differences to me, a lot of elegant having the screen on all the time).

I tried on the Hermes SBSS previously and just didn't like it at all personally. It doesn't match with any of my bands I have and I'm just not a big fan of the black Hermes faces. Having said that, the black Hermes leather band is beautiful but I wouldn't buy a watch to match a band. Would only do the vice versa.

LOL there's a couple more I didn't mention - I upgraded the S3 when the S4 came out, and then I had an S5 Nike after I saw a colleague with the S5 AOD. I've sold all of mine other than the S4 Hermes and S5 SS, and the S0 SS which is worthless (the battery has swollen and the screen popped off). My wife had an S3 but sold it and she still has her S0 Al and her S4 Al - she doesn't know she has a Hermes S5 coming, and I imagine she'll relegate her S0 to a drawer rather than look to sell it.

I really like the black Hermes faces, and I like the look of the black casing except with stainless lugs. My S4 Hermes came with the Indigo/Craie/Orange band with SS lugs and I also have a Saddle classic buckle and the SS link bracelet that wouldn't match. Otherwise I have a couple of leather loops and around 40 sport bands / Nike sport bands, and I think they'd all be OK with SB.

Looking at it that way the only one that would look bad that I'd really care about is the Hermes, and I could keep my S5 SS and switch between them as dailies. I'm not keen to pay the LTE charge for two watches, but I hardly ever use the current one without my phone anyway.

Maybe if there are 44mm SBSS Hermes still available in a couple of months I'l go for it after all...

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
Interesting. I’m not sure if I’d like that as a 44mm single tour band (assuming there is one) or not, but it shows the SB version might be staying around and more black lug bands with it.

nerotony

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
The Hermès — 44-mm Noir Swift Leather Single Tour band is not longer available on Apple's website. Limited edition? :p

View attachment 893079
[automerge]1581115919[/automerge]
By the way, has this happened to anyone? I don't believe this is "normal wear and tear". I will ring Apple and hopefully they will replace it as I love this band. I am very careful with my Apple Watch and my bands...
Some Hermès locations still have the noir single band. I just picked up it in SoCal. Such a beautiful band. I’m rocking it for the day and then going back to my space black link.

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
So I just gave my wife a Hermes 40mm S5 as a birthday gift, relegating her S4 Alu GPS to sleep tracking and retiring her S0 Sport entirely.

She’s had it maybe 3 hours and I’m already fighting the urge to buy a SB S5 for myself. Originally I was happy with the California face with AOD when I wanted my Watch to look like a watch, but I was a little less pleased with it when I got my S4 Hermes, and now I’ve seen the S5 Hermes AOD, California isn’t cutting it at all for me.

They have a 44mm S5 SB in the Aus Hermes on-line store. Please somebody else buy it before my resolve breaks...

• Haha
Reactions: rosegoldoli

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I like the Noir/Blanc/Gold Swift Leather Single Tour and am pleased they released a new band with black lugs ( Noir Gala Leather Single Tour Rallye ).

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I see that the orange bands you either buy separately or with the watch are now swift instead of epsom. Wonder why the change. Consolidating production resources perhaps?

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
I see that the orange bands you either buy separately or with the watch are now swift instead of epsom. Wonder why the change. Consolidating production resources perhaps?
Whatever the reason that works for me - it's probably the Hermes band I'm most likely to purchase next and personally I like the smooth Switft leather of my Indigo/Craie/Orange better than the textured Epsom looks in photos.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002

It‘s not the same colour, though. The new one is also called simply „Orange“ and seems to be a lighter shade than the old „Feu“.

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
It‘s not the same colour, though. The new one is also called simply „Orange“ and seems to be a lighter shade than the old „Feu“.
I guess that makes sense now you point it out. Again though, I think it's fine for me - if the colours are really different, and the new one is called "orange", then I would expect the new one to be the Hermes orange that (I assume) is trademarked, and that matches the orange sport band. That works for me. I have never seen a "Feu" band in real life, and if that colour is different then I'd probably prefer Hermes orange which I know is an orange I really like.

Reactions: the future
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.