Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Frontier Fiber to The Home: 500/500 ~$70/month
Netgear RAX75 Router [Just Say no to the cheap junk any/most* ISP's give you]

Been a very good Socal ISP for me. No issues, no switch-a-roo's either (shockingly). They offer gigbit+ but I don't have any equipment that can handle gig+...

Speedtest & Packetstat results:

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3465.jpeg
    IMG_3465.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: rin67630

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Hotwire Communications’ Fision product with fiber to the home. For $50/month 300mbps up and down. I see slightly better than that on Ethernet-connected devices like my iMac. My eight-device eeroPro mesh network yields wireless speeds anywhere from 30mbps in my detached garage 50 feet from the house to about 175mbps reasonably close to the gateway router. We’ve experienced less than a handful of Fision outages and those only for short periods of time over the last 10 years. Happy camper, no need for a higher speed tier and costs, even could lower the tier but the savings are minimal as that is a grandfathered rate/cost.

Reactions: zapmymac

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
FIOS here. 1GB down and up. We get about 900mbps wired, and 600 WiFi upstairs near the router. We’ve only had one outage in 6 years, and that was when the power was out for a week. 60 bucks a month and I use my own Asus routers in a mesh with Ethernet backbone. Love FIOS internet.

We have a rental property where there’s no FIOS, we’re using a Verizon 5G box. 25 dollars per month, and it’s always around 100 mbps. Not great not terrible. Only other options were CenturyLink and Comcast. CL was terrible, expensive and 25 mbps. Comcast was also terrible, best they could do was 300 down and 10 up, it was super-pricey and unreliable. The 5G box is actually faster and cheaper than the other options.

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I'm a rural part of the UK paying £25/$30 per month for 40 Mbps. That's the best connection on offer here (there's no mobile signal). It's absolutely fine for my needs though.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I had Gigabit for two years through Xfinity for only $85 and felt that was a pretty good deal. I wanted the tier mostly for faster upload.

Upon renewal they offered less speed (800/80 mbps) for more money so I cancelled and took advantage of the 6-months Verizon 5G Home Internet promo for $45/month (free Xbox X, $200 Amazon gc, $100 Verizon gc).

Verizon 5G Home Internet download was decent at 250mbps but I would experience occasional lag, the upload was noticeably slower, and their gateway limits you to 20 or so connected devices. I have upwards of 45 connected devices and went back to Xfinity for now. At the time I cancelled their retention department wouldn't budge on price so it is what it is. I am patiently waiting for completion of our city's Gigabit fiber rollout to provide another option for residents.

Reactions: Beck Show

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Currently, 800/100 with Comcast Xfinity ~$60/month with autopay, but you have to sign at least a 1 yr contract then negotiate hard on renewal as Comcast keeps increasing its rates.
Had to upgrade my router/modem to get that higher speed.
Comcast changed the data plans. It actually costs More to go Down to a lower speed!
Unfortunately, Comcast is the Only major internet provider in NH in New England.
I get better rates/speed at home than my business, which has less speed and higher cost. :mad:
The small handful of smaller internet providers charge more for less bandwidth and some still use the outdated DSL.
Comcast has a data cap in some states...
"The 1.2 TB data plan is currently not applicable in our Northeast markets, including CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, VA, VT, WV, the District of Columbia, and parts of NC and OH."

It really depends on your needs and finances.
Not everyone needs the Gig plan or can afford it, as 500 is more than sufficient for most people.
If you can get a deal for slightly higher speed at a relatively affordable amount, then that's a consideration.
Do note that many cable providers are removing the lower tier, older internet speeds and increasing it while keeping the price down, at least temporarily with a signed ~1~2 yr agreement. Then you'll have to negotiate hard upon renewal to keep the rates low, but have to watch out if the speed package was changed. This is what Comcast does every year.

Anyone living in places that has multiple cable providers available are lucky since you have competition so can switch from one provider to another. Unfortunately, in may states, like NH, there's literally Only 1 provider, so it has a monopoly and can charge whatever it basically wants and it knows it.

Last edited:

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
800/25, Comcast, $60 a month total.

Comcast absolutely will negotiate on price. When your contract is up, call them and demand a lower price (always nicely, but firmly). Ask for any and all deals. If the person you're talking to won't budge, hang up and call back. Keep doing it. They can and will give you discounts, but you have to be firm and persistent, and be willing to lock yourself in to a 1, 2 or 3 year term.

Elektronenhirn

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2018
I get 1 Gbit/s up and down for about $5 per month (yes, really) in Sweden. I used to pay four times that amount for 70 Mbit/s. For most use cases the difference is negligible as long as latencies are low and the network is stable.
How? Connection type and ISP? I am only aware of fiber 500mbit for $40 in Sweden.

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
I currently have Spectrum Internet at ~350Mbs up/~12Mbs down for $80/month. These speeds are a bit faster than they advertise. It's super-reliable, though the price has increased $10/month over the past two years. In general I am happy with the service but would like a faster option since I work online from home.

A municipal fiber service is being rolled-out into my neighborhood which offers synchronous (same upload and download speed) 120Mbs/1Gbs/5Gbs service. I beleive the 1Gb service will be $65/month and the 5Gb service approximately $115/month. I am super eager to sign up.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have Xfinity home internet, 400mbps, for 65$ a month. I've been with them 12 years. They have another plan for $80 a month with autopay, that would double that speed. I also have an offer from T Mobile, 60/ month. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I might upgrade, switch... etc.
Im on £50 a month for gigabit (900 down 100 up)

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
T-Mobile is using its 5G wireless network to provide the connection. There's nothing inherently wrong with that or similar services provided by VZW and ATT but you may want to try it before you cancel your cable internet.
I use T-Mobile home internet and it is great at $50/month. I easily get 600-700 mbps download and 100 mbps upload. But the caveat is that I have line of site to a T-Mobile cell tower from a home office window and in my town, T-Mobile is 5G ultra-capacity.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Seattle Washington Quantum Fiber -
currently 'up to' 1Gbps/1Gps - usually around that speed when wired, 1/2 - 2/3 of that speed over wifi
for $60/mo

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
How do they do that?
In your router?
A repeater should be able to masquerade your devices...
True, connecting a router would get you around that limitation. The limit is just for their gateway, but I also feel the 250mbps bandwidth can feel restrictive if you have a lot of devices, especially the upload speed. I didn't tell my family about switching Internet service providers to see if they'd notice the difference in speed and service and the comments/questions/complaints started flowing the first night, and I could really feel it when working from home the next day.

This isn't to say Verizon 5G Home Internet is bad. I actually think it's an affordable alternative that could work well for many households, but it's not a good match for our usage pattern.

Reactions: Christopher11

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
For just one person, you are completely killing it. Next time you have to renew, I'd be working it down and save some money. There are not many uses of that speed for 1 person.

Unless you have like a 20 TV/monitor (simultaneous) setup or have to download huge files over and over through the month, typical broadband uses would suggest maybe 50-70mbps as plenty fast for one person. Nationally, many are at only 25mbps.

You might find this interesting reading.
I'm sure you are right, but I've gotten to love my fast speed. : ) I tend to ADHD it a lot with open windows, downloads, youtube... plus work. However, you guys have
I get 1 Gbit/s up and down for about $5 per month (yes, really) in Sweden. I used to pay four times that amount for 70 Mbit/s. For most use cases the difference is negligible as long as latencies are low and the network is stable.
Oh my!! Another example of northern Europe that reveals you guys to be sane, humanized, sensible, and living good lives. That is crazy good.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
200/200 here at my university, back home I have 300/10 with Comcast (good download but terrible upload). Fiber isn't available residentially back home.

Reactions: Christopher11

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Yeah, it's as if they want it to be able to talk to you, but you can hardly say anything back. ;

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.