Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Here in high tech-land Germany an excavator did cut the cable that provided our allegedly 700MBit Internet.
I could have a look in it's construction: a post-WW2 cable with tar-paper isolated copper wires !
The repaired the damage and we still use this museum-ripe cable...for 2014's Internet.

This is just my speculation, but perhaps what you saw was just the metal cover and extra protection for the very thin fiber cable at the very center of it. Or maybe those are multi-purpose cables, and the metal wires serve some other purposes as well.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
This is just my speculation, but perhaps what you saw was just the metal cover and extra protection for the very thin fiber cable at the very center of it. Or maybe those are multi-purpose cables, and the metal wires serve some other purposes as well.
No, no. I have seen the old cable as it was repaired wire by wire. You may not be able to figure, but living in an old developed country has its drawbacks.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I pay for 1GB fibre, up and down.
When I do a speed test its around 980MBps up and down consistently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.