Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I live in a rural area where fiber was deployed throughout spring & summer of 2021. Service utilizing that fiber has been available through a local co-op, and I finally switched over (from DSL) in July 2023.

I get 100 mbps down/20 mbps up for $60 + change (my total out of pocket) per month. I realize that to people in metro areas, this is hardly significant, but 'round these parts, to get *reliable* (I have yet to experience any kind of outage) service at these speeds, which is never throttled, is really nice. I bought my own router, and no longer have to pay my DSL provider's monthly modem/router rental. Thus far, it's been zero headaches, and actually cheaper than the ~60 mbps down/10 mbps up DSL I had.

magphotos

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2023
Turin, Italy
I live in Italy, I have Iliad Fiber with FTTH EPON for 20€ / month. I can reach 300/250 Mbits using WiFi and easily reach 900/800 with cable. We have Fiber mostly everywhere in our country and more areas are getting covered.

A different story if you live in rural areas. In that case it is better to get a router that supports a SIM card, and you can benefit of 4G speed or even 5G sometimes.

Reactions: iHorseHead

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I live in a rural area where fiber was deployed throughout spring & summer of 2021. Service utilizing that fiber has been available through a local co-op, and I finally switched over (from DSL) in July 2023.

I get 100 mbps down/20 mbps up for $60 + change (my total out of pocket) per month. I realize that to people in metro areas, this is hardly significant, but 'round these parts, to get *reliable* (I have yet to experience any kind of outage) service at these speeds, which is never throttled, is really nice. I bought my own router, and no longer have to pay my DSL provider's monthly modem/router rental. Thus far, it's been zero headaches, and actually cheaper than the ~60 mbps down/10 mbps up DSL I had.
Yeah, when I lived in rural PA, the speeds were expensive atrocious and unreliable.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 19.03.43.png

I pay $10 / month + includes TV and phone.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 19.06.45.png

On a phone. Includes 300 minutes of free calls in the EU, unlimited calls + text messages in my own country.

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
We have 500 mbps up and down, fiber internet and fiber tv. Its more than enough speed for us, even if our son is gaming, we're watching a movie, streaming music and much more. I'm not sure of the price, we pay one price for both the tv and the internet.

Reactions: max2

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I've been thinking it would be good to have a backup. Like get Starlink or something, or just have two different Wifi networks, two companies.
I work from home & our internet went out for extended periods twice last year. In the end, I bought a cellular iPad & hooked it up with T Mobile's 5GB of data for 150 days for $10 plan. That way, if I don't need it, it only costs me about $20/year, but if I do need it, it can easily get me through a day or so. I was just using my phone prior to that, but we get a weak signal & I had to have it in the middle of my bed, unplugged, to get a usable data connection both up & down. The iPad gets better reception, I"m guessing due to the larger antennae.

Having an entirely separate monthly subscription seems kind of expensive for me for something that I'd only use a few times a year at most.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Having an entirely separate monthly subscription seems kind of expensive for me for something that I'd only use a few times a year at most.
I have a nice neighbour, who lets me tap his guest WiFi from time to time.
Unfortunately from the same provider.
Which lets me verify: if my Internet is crooked (which happens frequently), his one is it too.
But calling the hotline is wasted time, they will never admit having a provider's problem.

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I just tested T-Mobile 5g on my iPhone at home. I get over 450 Download and 21 upload on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I wonder how the speed is if I get that Home Internet package they are offering in my location. Which is available. We all have COX here and the price gouging is ridiculous. For 150 Download and 10 upload Unlimited package, its about $130 - $150.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I just tested T-Mobile 5g on my iPhone at home. I get over 450 Download and 21 upload on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I wonder how the speed is if I get that Home Internet package they are offering in my location. Which is available. We all have COX here and the price gouging is ridiculous. For 150 Download and 10 upload Unlimited package, its about $130 - $150.
You may want to test it with an unbiased tool:
Packetstats
Ookla (== speedtest.com) gives you only the speed of your connection to a specialized Telekom server, that always deliver 100%, Telekom (and many others) have a bottleneck behind the last mile, in there very server infrastructure.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
You may want to test it with an unbiased tool:
Packetstats
Ookla (== speedtest.com) gives you only the speed of your connection to a specialized Telekom server, that always deliver 100%, Telekom (and many others) have a bottleneck behind the last mile, in there very server infrastructure.
Ok. I still ordered the T-Mobile Home Internet Device. I'm going to hook up my Velop Mesh on the ethernet port, but I'm not really technically inclined. I read that the WiFi radios are always on with the T-Mobile Modem, which I don't need, since the Velop Mesh is doing that part. So there is no way to turn those radios off the T-Mobile Modem right? At least that's what I read and I'm not going to plug in my Windows Machine and hack it with this link I read to GitHub. I will most likely screw it up! LOL

Ha both COX WiFi Cable Modem and T-Mobile 5G UW said poor! So either way they suck with this report, but hey 50 bucks vs $130-$150 the winner here so far is T-Mobile.

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Gigabit Fiber (both download and upload) (ACT) for $30 per month inclusive of taxes
Very nice! We really have only two kinds of choices here where I live, which we never had for over 20 years. It was just COX Cable and they had a monopoly. Finally we can get at least T-Mobile, Verizon or ATT 5G Home Internet. Maybe Centurylink.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Very nice! We really have only two kinds of choices here where I live, which we never had for over 20 years. It was just COX Cable and they had a monopoly. Finally we can get at least T-Mobile, Verizon or ATT 5G Home Internet. Maybe Centurylink.
In India, the biggest players are Jio Fiber and Airtel Xstreme Fiber, together they have close to 80% market share

The flagship plan for both is like $45 per month exclusive of taxes, same plan as me, but they offer a tonne of perks like free family Netflix 4K, other OTT, online TV and a lot more

I don’t get all that but ACT is better with ping and jitter and has a better quality internet experience, for exactly half the money

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Every single Fiber company in India has symmetrical download and upload

Apart from Airtel, all providers only provide fiber

Airtel has been upgrading all their lines to Fiber as well

Even providers who didn’t provide Fiber in the past provided symmetrical upload and download speeds

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
In India, the biggest players are Jio Fiber and Airtel Xstreme Fiber, together they have close to 80% market share

The flagship plan for both is like $45 per month exclusive of taxes, same plan as me, but they offer a tonne of perks like free family Netflix 4K, other OTT, online TV and a lot more

I don’t get all that but ACT is better with ping and jitter and has a better quality internet experience, for exactly half the money
Wow in the US it sucks! LOL!!! What you have is very nice indeed.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Got it set up. 253mbps download 22mbps upload. Unlimited and $50. Way cheaper than COX and all my stuff works as before only a bit faster now. Finally free from COX!

Reactions: mk313

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Here in high tech-land Germany an excavator did cut the cable that provided our allegedly 700MBit Internet.
I could have a look in it's construction: a post-WW2 cable with tar-paper isolated copper wires !
The repaired the damage and we still use this museum-ripe cable...for 2014's Internet.

• Haha
Reactions: kagharaht

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Here in high tech-land Germany an excavator did cut the cable that provided our allegedly 700MBit Internet.
I could have a look in it's construction: a post-WW2 cable with tar-paper isolated copper wires !
The repaired the damage and we still use this museum-ripe cable...for 2014's Internet.
So even with the Post WW2 cable do you still get the 700mbps speeds? I'll be shocked and it would be cool if that can provide that speeds with that old cable.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
So even with the Post WW2 cable do you still get the 700mbps speeds? I'll be shocked and it would be cool if that can provide that speeds with that old cable.
Using the biased Speedtest from Ookla, yes, the 700MBps are reported.
But upon using the independent Packetstats, the latency and stability on an European server are really bad.
I suspect, that old cable has tremendous cross-talks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.