Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I get 1 Gbit/s up and down for about $5 per month (yes, really) in Sweden. I used to pay four times that amount for 70 Mbit/s. For most use cases the difference is negligible as long as latencies are low and the network is stable.
Is this a recent development in all of Sweden? Dane here with ~40$ monthly for 400Mbps both ways (low latency stable fiber with public IP)

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Is this a recent development in all of Sweden? Dane here with ~40$ monthly for 400Mbps both ways (low latency stable fiber with public IP)
No, unfortunately not. It’s a very good deal here too. But it’s a proper fiber connection.

We got this price by having 90 homes make a shared purchase. Each unit gets their own 1 Gbps connection and is billed individually though.

nmart1214

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
I regularly delete and download large games so I prefer to have a connection be as fast as possible now that many modern AAA games are around or above 100GB. This is very specific though and if I didn't play games I likely could deal with sub 100mbps since that's what I'm generally used to.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Didn't read the second page of this thread, although I did read the first & skimmed the third where I'm posting this.

I had the same question when COVID hit. We worked remote, and there were 4 of us here, working/going to school. I'm on the base Spectrum plan, which was 100 down/ 10 up at the time (IIRC). I upgraded to the next tier to see if I noticed any difference in my days to day usage (particularly work-wise) and there was zero difference, so I moved back to the basic plan. They've since upgraded it twice & it's now at 300 down/ 10 up & it's fast enough for my needs.

I think of it this way. If you're currently paying $65, and the next tier is $80. It's almost like you're getting the fourth month free on the lower plan (relative to what you'd pay on the upgrade). Is the extra speed worth paying for an additional 23% for internet vs what you pay now? For me the answer is no, but for others it's different.

And a quick point on T Mo. I have nothing against them. I actually have them for my cell phone & have had good luck with that, but one guy at work uses Verizon Home internet (wireless) and he has by far the worst connection of everyone on the team. He's convinced it's our company network, but it's hard to believe it's the company when it's only impacting him.

I do think that the cellular home Internet providers fill a gap, espedially where high speed isn't available, but from my experience, I'd prefer an actual fiber connection. I agree with the poster who said that if you move to T Mo, don't cancel your current plan until you've tested the network to make sure it works for you.

Last edited:

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I've been thinking it would be good to have a backup. Like get Starlink or something, or just have two different Wifi networks, two companies.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Didn't read the second page of this thread, although I did read the first & skimmed the third where I'm posting this.

I had the same question when COVID hit. We worked remote, and there were 4 of us here, working/going to school. I'm on the base Spectrum plan, which was 100 down/ 10 up at the time (IIRC). I upgraded to the next tier to see if I noticed any difference in my days to day usage (particularly work-wise) and there was zero difference, so I moved back to the basic plan. They've since upgraded it twice & it's now at 300 down/ 10 up & it's fast enough for my needs.

I think of it this way. If you're currently paying $65, and the next tier is $80. It's almost like you're getting the fourth month free on the lower plan (relative to what you'd pay on the upgrade). Is the extra speed worth paying for an additional 23% for internet vs what you pay now? For me the answer is no, but for others it's different.

And a quick point on T Mo. I have nothing against them. I actually have them for my cell phone & have had good luck with that, but one guy at work uses Verizon Home internet (wireless) and he has by far the worst connection of everyone on the team. He's convinced it's our company network, but it's hard to believe it's the company when it's only impacting him.

I do think that the cellular home Internet providers fill a gap, espedially where high speed isn't available, but from my experience, I'd prefer an actual fiber connection. I agree with the poster who said that if you move to T Mo, don't cancel your current plan until you've tested the network to make sure it works for you.
Really good points, thank you. Yeah, it's like the 4th week of the month is free, good point.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
10Gbps Down/Up (Fiber)
<$50 / month

Now if only there were good, reasonably priced, consumer oriented options for >2.5Gbps networking gear...
That would be such blistering speed, I think it would scare me at first! (but then i'd get used to it and not want any less... sigh...)

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
3BB Fiber in Thailand. I'm paying 500 MBPs UP/ Down, but getting about 750 MBPs. Cost is about $20 USD a month.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
We have gigabit. Probably overkill, but we have a lot of devices connected so we need a lot of bandwidth. We can’t actually reach those speeds over wifi though, it maxes out at 300 mbps because we have a Wifi 5 setup. But it’s plenty fast. If I really want to download something very large very quickly, I just plug into ethernet and get full speed.

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I have Xfinity home internet, 400mbps, for 65$ a month. I've been with them 12 years. They have another plan for $80 a month with autopay, that would double that speed. I also have an offer from T Mobile, 60/ month. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I might upgrade, switch... etc.

I have 80mbps at 8$ a month, 5 members of my family has no complaints about the Internet speed, even streaming video to 4 devices at the same time. What kind of use you are thinking of with 800mpbs?

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I have 80mbps at 8$ a month, 5 members of my family has no complaints about the Internet speed, even streaming video to 4 devices at the same time. What kind of use you are thinking of with 800mpbs?
Same thing as your family basically, except it's just me. I'm glad to get some context / comparison from all you guys to see I by no means have slow internet.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
We currently pay about £27 for our broadband package and get 57 MB/s. The infrastructure for gigabit speeds is being laid on our street, and will probably opt for 400MB/s when it becomes available, and that will cost about the same as an introductory offer.

We stream a lot of 4K Atmos content, and while we don't really have any buffering on our current service, everything slows if more than one device is doing some heavy lifting, download wise, so I'm pretty desperate for the upgrade.

Reactions: Christopher11

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
We currently pay about £27 for our broadband package and get 57 MB/s. The infrastructure for gigabit speeds is being laid on our street, and will probably opt for 400MB/s when it becomes available, and that will cost about the same as an introductory offer.

We stream a lot of 4K Atmos content, and while we don't really have any buffering on our current service, everything slows if more than one device is doing some heavy lifting, download wise, so I'm pretty desperate for the upgrade.
That upgrade is going to change your world. : )

urbanman2004

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2013
Anybody hear a/b a recent promo Comcast is running where they're selling their 400mbps plan for $55/month?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.