Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
Bought the 12 mini 11/24/2020.
Currently battery health is sitting at 89% maximum capacity and can never get a full day out of it. It's brutal! The battery is the only reason I won't buy a mini again!
I wonder if a mini is suitable for your uses at all. But consider trading it in for a 13 mini or just trade it in for a 13.

I will be buying the 13 mini next year at the first sign of production being cut or ended and selling my 12 mini to my stepdad who is light use but needs a bigger screen than his SE 1st gen and prefers compact phones as well. My iPad Pro 11" removes the need for anything more than a mini and the size and weight of the mini are just right.

Edit: by the way my 12 mini from 11/13/2020 is down to 94% battery health. I used it heavily before I bought the iPad.

Last edited:

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
As I do love/hate relationship with 12 mini (mostly because of the battery and sometimes typos with 2 hands) I ordered this week regular 13. At least I have 14 full days for trying the bigger one in my daily usage and if doesn’t fit at least I will go for a 13 mini. 12 mini was a really bad experience for me with it’s usage - I didn’t got more than 3,5hours. ?

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Not a mini owner but wanted to chime in. I was waiting in front of a 12 and 13 Mini at the apple store today while waiting for my AirPods pro to be tested (they failed and will be replaced) and MAN is it ADORABLE! Totally gives me an old-school 4S or 5S vibe, in all the best ways.

What a cool looking, and feeling, little phone.

Phineasgage1848

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2016
Recently upgraded from a launch day 12 Mini to 13 Mini and I’ve gotta say: I’m loving the improvements. Battery life is much better. The extra 1.5hr makes a substantial difference, especially coming from the 89% battery health of my 12 mini. Camera is a noticeable improvement to me and photographic styles are great options to have. The smaller notch also feels more noticeable on the mini than when I use my wife’s 13 Pro. All in all this feels like the no compromise Mini phone we wanted the 12 to be!

Stefi*lite

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
Originally bought the 12 mini after launch, then bought the 13 mini right at launch. I really, REALLY wish more companies would release as close to flagship spec'd phones in as small of sizes as possible. It's the perfect size for my hands. I do prefer the 13 Pro's high refresh rate screen and additional camera, but they seem like a relatively minor trade-off for greater comfort.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I was a long time X user and that failed on me in June, I considered the Mini but ultimately went for the Pro because I need the telephoto zoom lens for a very specific use case. Which I haven't ended up using as much as I thought!

I recently set up a friends 13 mini for them and must say I loved it! A very nice size to use and for the price compared to the Pro, I wish I had gone Mini back in June!

So no I am not a mini user but I am a Mini admirer!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Actively working - 1. Mac Mini M1.
Not hooked up but can work - Mac Mini quad 2012.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I love my 12 Mini, wouldn't trade it as my main device for anything.

Now I bought the 13 Mini on sale, not as much savings as I would have hoped with between 90-130€, but because of chip shortage etc it is even a wonder to get it on sale at all. Now I got two 13 Mini because I bought one a long time ago on sale not in stock and it shipped the day my newly ordered iPhone 13 Mini shipped too. :-(

The one is a pink 13 Mini 512GB, the other a 256GB white 13 Mini. And I chose the pink one even thought I don't need that much storage. Because of display quality. It is still crazy how different it is inside a line up. My 13 Mini 512GB has a way better display quality. Especially when comparing it to my other 12 Mini and 13 Mini when shifting the device you see the difference. It has more contrast but most of all is way cooler, a little reddish tint but just a little. The other 256GB 13 Mini is WAY more yellow and has this infamous yellow tint. You see it in normal handling but more than that when shifting it to the right or left. It is a night and day difference. My old 12 Mini has the worst display compared as it seems of low quality in general when compared. It has less contrast, yellowish tint like the 256GB 13 Mini and in general you can see that it has a worth quality than both 13 Mini displays. And I tried 5 12 Minis back then in several months before getting this device which had betterd isplay than the others.
So display quality difference is still there. I really was shocked how different those displays are. Thought they would have worked on it. So happy with the 512GB display. Is it a coincidence that the most expensive model with 512GB has the best display? It costs me 260€ more than the 256GB device but the display is what I look at all day so I chose the 512GB, also because I wanted a new color...

In general not much difference to my 12 Mini. A little more stable 5G connection, also faster. I feel like reception/signal is better in general as I travel a lot through low signal areas too. You feel it has a better modem in it, very important to me as a traveller and as it is the last Mini device for longer time. I get more constant connection. I also do feel like call quality seems a bit better and clearer. Besides that and the better display quality and the better battery and a bit faster UI, I haven't seen any difference yet. Haven't used the camera really in the last days I received it. But I still would recommend everyone to buy the 13 Mini instead of the 12 Mini as it is the last Mini and everything seems a little faster and better, esp modem and battery. But PLEASE check display quality before keeping a phone.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I love my 12 Mini, wouldn't trade it as my main device for anything.

Now I bought the 13 Mini on sale, not as much savings as I would have hoped with between 90-130€, but because of chip shortage etc it is even a wonder to get it on sale at all. Now I got two 13 Mini because I bought one a long time ago on sale not in stock and it shipped the day my newly ordered iPhone 13 Mini shipped too. :-(

The one is a pink 13 Mini 512GB, the other a 256GB white 13 Mini. And I chose the pink one even thought I don't need that much storage. Because of display quality. It is still crazy how different it is inside a line up. My 13 Mini 512GB has a way better display quality. Especially when comparing it to my other 12 Mini and 13 Mini when shifting the device you see the difference. It has more contrast but most of all is way cooler, a little reddish tint but just a little. The other 256GB 13 Mini is WAY more yellow and has this infamous yellow tint. You see it in normal handling but more than that when shifting it to the right or left. It is a night and day difference. My old 12 Mini has the worst display compared as it seems of low quality in general when compared. It has less contrast, yellowish tint like the 256GB 13 Mini and in general you can see that it has a worth quality than both 13 Mini displays. And I tried 5 12 Minis back then in several months before getting this device which had betterd isplay than the others.
So display quality difference is still there. I really was shocked how different those displays are. Thought they would have worked on it. So happy with the 512GB display. Is it a coincidence that the most expensive model with 512GB has the best display? It costs me 260€ more than the 256GB device but the display is what I look at all day so I chose the 512GB, also because I wanted a new color...

In general not much difference to my 12 Mini. A little more stable 5G connection, also faster. I feel like reception/signal is better in general as I travel a lot through low signal areas too. You feel it has a better modem in it, very important to me as a traveller and as it is the last Mini device for longer time. I get more constant connection. I also do feel like call quality seems a bit better and clearer. Besides that and the better display quality and the better battery and a bit faster UI, I haven't seen any difference yet. Haven't used the camera really in the last days I received it. But I still would recommend everyone to buy the 13 Mini instead of the 12 Mini as it is the last Mini and everything seems a little faster and better, esp modem and battery. But PLEASE check display quality before keeping a phone.

Good job. Curious how are you ... measuring displays? you currently have 2 to compare, but not all of us can do that.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Good job. Curious how are you ... measuring displays? you currently have 2 to compare, but not all of us can do that.
I’m also curious about that info about battery. Everyone is telling about better battery, but how exactly better it is?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
iPhone 13 mini 512GB in Starlight arrived 2 days ago ... until now box remained sealed. Unboxed, currently migrating iCloud backup to this from my 'KrewlBlue' iPhone 12 mini 256GB. This starlight really looks good, surprisingly. Haven't had a white iPhone since the 4S and that was a temporary use.

I'll fully migrate to this tomorrow before putting up my 12 mini for sale. HUP treated me well with my carrier. AC+ goes on tomorrow with screen protector and my 2nd favourite case of choice.

note: I will be purchasing the 13 mini 512GB at full retail before end of year as a backup unit. Gotta prove to Apple metrics its a worthwhile phone - even if an SE 4 uses this design/size/screen with TouchID, don't care.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
iPhone 13 mini 512GB in Starlight arrived 2 days ago ... until now box remained sealed. Unboxed, currently migrating iCloud backup to this from my 'KrewlBlue' iPhone 12 mini 256GB. This starlight really looks good, surprisingly. Haven't had a white iPhone since the 4S and that was a temporary use.

I'll fully migrate to this tomorrow before putting up my 12 mini for sale. HUP treated me well with my carrier. AC+ goes on tomorrow with screen protector and my 2nd favourite case of choice.

note: I will be purchasing the 13 mini 512GB at full retail before end of year as a backup unit. Gotta prove to Apple metrics its a worthwhile phone - even if an SE 4 uses this design/size/screen with TouchID, don't care.
thinking about trading in my old 12 mini for another 13 mini to have as a backup.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

Thinking about getting a 13 mini. If I do, that’s the same one (color and storage size) I want! I might also get a second one as backup, but I’ll wait until they’re about to be discontinued.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I was using a 13 Pro Max 1 TB from October 2021 to September 2022. My fiancée bought me a 13 Mini 512 GB in September 2022. I kept the 13 Pro Max in case I missed its size, camera, or ProMotion, but it hasn't been turned on since I made the switch. I absolutely love the Mini. It's my favorite iPhone that I've owned (my favorite iPhone that I haven't owned is the green iPhone 5c). I can see myself holding on to this phone for a very, very long time. One thing that's rarely mentioned is how better most cases look on a Mini.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I was using a 13 Pro Max 1 TB from October 2021 to September 2022. My fiancée bought me a 13 Mini 512 GB in September 2022. I kept the 13 Pro Max in case I missed its size, camera, or ProMotion, but it hasn't been turned on since I made the switch. I absolutely love the Mini. It's my favorite iPhone that I've owned (my favorite iPhone that I haven't owned is the green iPhone 5c). I can see myself holding on to this phone for a very, very long time. One thing that's rarely mentioned is how better most cases look on a Mini.
Same, I absolutely adore my 13 mini. I picked up a green 256GB model back in March after the mid-cycle refresh and I’m still obsessed with it. Even tried a 14 Pro to see what all the fuss was about and decided to return it as my 13 mini is just more comfortable and natural to use in every way—size, weight…even its underrated, high-density display looks far better to my eyes.

And, yes, rocking the mini with a case feels far better/more natural than the larger iPhones that really become bricks once any case is slapped on. I have a MagSafe Clear Case and a few Silicone Cases for my mini and they all fit perfectly and have strong MagSafe magnets whereas the 14 Pro Clear Case I tried feels creaky and loose in comparison. The magnets on that 14 Pro case were also disappointingly weak.

I just wish I’d gone for the 512GB while I was in the market, but I can live with 256; it’s not like I’m recording tons of video or taking tons of photos. But I do like my lossless Apple Music downloads.

Which color did your fiancée cop for you? :)

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Look at this thread with 38 pages on iPhone mini owners! yet the Mini was/is supposed to have poor sales! We are a vocal minority but should be proud. Anyway just chiming in as I've finally brought my 13 Mini in Midnight to go alongside my white 12 Mini. You cannot beat the Mini form factor!

WalterSobchak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Would it be ridiculous to buy a 12 mini for “full retail”

I would love to get one, especially a 12 as it is the smallest and lightest possible (and they make it in purple for the missus)

Easily available new. For the same price as a new 13 mini.

But is that a bad idea?

I totally missed the mini train as I have been out of looking at new phones for several years and am just finding out about them now.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

I would love to get one, especially a 12 as it is the smallest and lightest possible (and they make it in purple for the missus)

But is that a bad idea?

I totally missed the mini train as I have been out of looking at new phones for several years and am just finding out about them now.
I would recommend the 13 mini over the 12 mini due to (most importantly) larger battery, double the storage (128 GB instead of 64 GB base storage) and also better camera and CPU. The 13 mini is a tiny bit heavier (4.4 %) than the 12 mini, but it’s much less of a difference than between the SE (2016) and the 12 mini (19.4 %).

If you like white/silver, the 13 Starlight is also nicer than the 12 Starlight, in my opinion.

Last edited:

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
Same, I absolutely adore my 13 mini. I picked up a green 256GB model back in March after the mid-cycle refresh and I’m still obsessed with it. Even tried a 14 Pro to see what all the fuss was about and decided to return it as my 13 mini is just more comfortable and natural to use in every way—size, weight…even its underrated, high-density display looks far better to my eyes.

And, yes, rocking the mini with a case feels far better/more natural than the larger iPhones that really become bricks once any case is slapped on. I have a MagSafe Clear Case and a few Silicone Cases for my mini and they all fit perfectly and have strong MagSafe magnets whereas the 14 Pro Clear Case I tried feels creaky and loose in comparison. The magnets on that 14 Pro case were also disappointingly weak.

I just wish I’d gone for the 512GB while I was in the market, but I can live with 256; it’s not like I’m recording tons of video or taking tons of photos. But I do like my lossless Apple Music downloads.

Which color did your fiancée cop for you? :)
She got me Midnight (and I'm currently using a Midnight Apple Leather case). I got her a 14 Pro, so we use her camera whenever we want to take pictures or videos.

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas

But is that a bad idea?

Grab a 13 mini instead if you can. Way better battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.