Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many are Prime members?

• Me!

Votes: 153 82.7%
  • Not me..

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Thinking about it..

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

phibe1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Having a child and definitely during COVID season this has become a must, despite what I feel about the company in general.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Since the Covid19 issue, I have had three “lost” deliveries.
All were USPS.
Amazon, UPS, and Fedex have been very good.

A side note; since Covid19 I have had several delayed deliveries. I am assuming this was due to prioritizing deliveries and the lockdowns. and let’s not talk about deliveries that originate in China. Oof.

Yikes. The thing is, I’ve never had this happen to me in awhile. I don’t think I’ve ever had a package go missing, and if I did, it was found. USPS was pretty spot for me in my area, but they really dropped the ball this time. Quite annoying to have your case escalated just for them to tell you that they are experiencing delays. It’s like yes, I’m fine with that, but for tracking to not be scanned in over a week, it has to be lost.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Yikes. The thing is, I’ve never had this happen to me in awhile. I don’t think I’ve ever had a package go missing, and if I did, it was found. USPS was pretty spot for me in my area, but they really dropped the ball this time. Quite annoying to have your case escalated just for them to tell you that they are experiencing delays. It’s like yes, I’m fine with that, but for tracking to not be scanned in over a week, it has to be lost.

Love the ones that say “Out for Delivery” and then later they have reverted to “In transit”.
Amazon has been great about handling these either via a refund or a reship.

Reactions: shadow puppet

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yea we had like two USPS stuck in transit. They both eventually came, but USPS didn't even respond until at least a week after delivery. This is why I love that Amazon is nearly all first party delivery with the rate UPS. They can get delayed a day or two sometimes, but not a week or more.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Yea we had like two USPS stuck in transit. They both eventually came, but USPS didn't even respond until at least a week after delivery. This is why I love that Amazon is nearly all first party delivery with the rate UPS. They can get delayed a day or two sometimes, but not a week or more.

Yep, my package finally came yesterday.. took two weeks to get here. The one thing about Amazon is there are a lot of distribution centers in my state so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue getting here. Love them for that.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yep, my package finally came yesterday.. took two weeks to get here. The one thing about Amazon is there are a lot of distribution centers in my state so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue getting here. Love them for that.
Yea I've already seen notifications at like 1AM that something shipped, and it made it that day. Other plus for Amazon is even when stuff takes longer to ship out, it still beats most anywhere else. We freaking ordered shoes over a week ago from shoes.com because Amazon didn't have them, and they are still in process. And this is why I will never over from anyone else if Amazon has the item even if it costs more on Amazon. You get what you pay for.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Yea I've already seen notifications at like 1AM that something shipped, and it made it that day. Other plus for Amazon is even when stuff takes longer to ship out, it still beats most anywhere else. We freaking ordered shoes over a week ago from shoes.com because Amazon didn't have them, and they are still in process. And this is why I will never over from anyone else if Amazon has the item even if it costs more on Amazon. You get what you pay for.

I agree. And a lot of places are experiencing shipping delays due to COVID too. I’m glad Amazon got theirs sorted out already.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I agree. And a lot of places are experiencing shipping delays due to COVID too. I’m glad Amazon got theirs sorted out already.
Me too. Delays are one thing, but it was over a week yesterday since we ordered from shoes.com so my wife tweeted them, and they said the warehouse are closed. Then why even let people order at all?!? Or at least explain that exactly in the delays message and make it clear it will be an extreme delay. A delay to me might be a week, not a month+ or more due to the entire warehouse network closed.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Before I re-upped Prime a week or so ago, I was concerned about the delays, but with several orders (new Prime glee ordering!), they’re all coming on time and most via USPS.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Prime member here ever since it started! Will probably be a member until Amazon goes bankrupt, which is probably never.

Reactions: dk001

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
ugh USPS is annoying me. Ordered some stuff that was supposed to be here today with 1 day shipping.. Well it’s not even out for delivery and tracking not updated. So I guess I have to wait till tomorrow and hope that it makes it

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
ugh USPS is annoying me. Ordered some stuff that was supposed to be here today with 1 day shipping.. Well it’s not even out for delivery and tracking not updated. So I guess I have to wait till tomorrow and hope that it makes it
I know when Amazon used them before they went nearly full first party delivery, it was pretty much always Amazon's fault. They would even offer free overnight, and then they would take the package themselves to our local PO, but they wouldn't get it there until close to noon, so of course the PO won't deliver that until the next day.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Love the ones that say “Out for Delivery” and then later they have reverted to “In transit”.
The ones that make me postal (pun intended) are when the USPS "Out for Delivery" notice changes to "an attempt was made but couldn't gain access due to security or some such".

I have lived in this house for 22 years. There is no security guard, no gate to get through, just a front porch with one step to climb. This to me is when someone was lazy, at the end of their day and simply didn't want to make one more delivery. I can't prove it but I can't help thinking it. ?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The ones that make me postal (pun intended) are when the USPS "Out for Delivery" notice changes to "an attempt was made but couldn't gain access due to security or some such".

I have lived in this house for 22 years. There is no security guard, no gate to get through, just a front porch with one step to climb. This to me is when someone was lazy, at the end of their day and simply didn't want to make one more delivery. I can't prove it but I can't help thinking it. ?

Those do irritate. I live in a townhouse with roving security but no gates and a nice big accessible front patio.
Go figure ? ? ?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

We live in building S, and last week there were two Building U and a building N by our mailboxes. Finally took them over after a few days.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I know when Amazon used them before they went nearly full first party delivery, it was pretty much always Amazon's fault. They would even offer free overnight, and then they would take the package themselves to our local PO, but they wouldn't get it there until close to noon, so of course the PO won't deliver that until the next day.

Thing that annoys me most is the facility it’s coming from is about 2 1/2 hours away from me.. can’t imagine that there would be delays going from city to city due to the limited transport... but I could be wrong

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I just realized.. did we not get an Amazon Prime Day this year?
Per Amazon, it hasn't been announced yet: "Prime Day is an annual deal event exclusively for Prime members, delivering two days of special savings on tons of items. Prime Day 2020 dates for the United States have not been announced yet."

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You know what, I just now realized that yeah we haven't gotten a prime day event this year. Isn't it usually june/july time frame?

It’s completely obvious. If you do some simple research, you’ll find your answer. Amazon commented on a podcast that due to C/19, they still are prioritizing medical/sanitizer supplies throughout all their major facilities, That’s pushing the place of Prime Day mainly selling unsold overstock.

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
I've been a paying Prime member for a couple years now. Solid service. I buy a lot of random stuff on Amazon and it's nice to not have to worry about shipping costs and get things the next day. Plus Prime Video easily rivals Netflix in content these days - in terms of UX they're still very far behind, the app is awful on every platform, but they have some good content.

I also use Amazon Smile so a small percentage of my purchases goes to a charity of my choice. And that comes out of Amazon's pocket not mine. Brilliant.

My views on the actual company are pretty mixed since they have an awful privacy record especially with those Ring doorbells but I can't deny their service is great.

Also use AWS both professionally and personally. Some things seem like they're more complicated than they need to be, but man do they let you do a lot of stuff very cheaply!

Oh regarding USPS, I am in the UK but ordered something from the US last month. I paid extra for priority shipping too. But I still don't have it. The tracking said it went from LA to London then back to New York. Apparently it has departed from New York but that was on the 2nd. No update since. No idea where my item is or if I'll ever get it.

The seller told me they went to the post office and were informed USPS international deliveries are screwed at the moment. I used this seller before and my item came just fine (slowly, but it was the standard service, not priority, and the tracking got updated normally). No idea what to do here. I'm thinking wait until it's been exactly a month since dispatch then straight up ask for a refund.

If any Americans can give me an idea of how to handle this that'd be great. I have no real reference point with what's "normal" at USPS. But my item bouncing from the US to the UK and back again before tracking stops updating for weeks doesn't seem like the expected level of service...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.