Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many are Prime members?

• Me!

Votes: 153 82.7%
  • Not me..

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Thinking about it..

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I agree that this is annoying. I found something on pantry the other day I wanted and couldn't order it because I didn't need any other "pantry" type items.

Yah the only remotely similar equivalent to that in a regular supermarket is when you can't get the sale price on something unless you buy four of them or something... and you look at four gigantic boxes of cereal and think well either buy them for the price and give 3 to the food pantry, or... pay an insane price for the one box.

I'm doing without a car over winter (at least... and I may not even get another car considering my age, I have not quite decided) but otherwise some of my shopping issues online in re-stocking pantry items would be resolved in a fit of impatience: disconnect from the web and go hit up whichever of three or four supermarkets within reasonable driving distance had the better sales on the items I was trying to put in one cart at Amazon.

Only one cart in real life too during any given one of my supermarket experiences, but at least I can get around the entire store with that cart. Only real hassle there relates to how much stuff I think I'll feel like unloading from the vehicle when getting back home.

Well I'm fortunate as can rely on kin for a shop-and-ride excursion... and also in a pinch, Instacart does deliver here from a warehouse type store (BJ's) over in Oneonta. They have great fresh produce except for some strange omissions, e.g. fresh red or green cabbage are not on their menu... so that becomes an excuse to shop and have lunch out with a friend or relative who's got shopping in mind in one of the towns as well. It's at those moments I enjoy thumbing my nose at Amazon and Walmart as well, but the rest of the time I'm usually grateful that those online options do exist.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I live in the Catskills and have routinely used Amazon Prime and Prime Pantry and Walmart for delivery of pantry staple items. Walmart is giving Amazon's efforts a run for the money in some rural areas now, I think.

Amazon's Prime Pantry has reduced the minimum order value for avoiding a delivery charge to pantry members, and often put multiple discounts of 5% if you "order five!", i.e. for an order of 15 items can actually get 3x5% discounts off the total... but their delivery dates are still longer in the boondocks than for their delivery of regular Prime shipments.

I'm also annoyed sometimes in having to make separate orders for Prime and Prime Pantry items: even "save for later" doesn't allow for saving items into Prime and Prime Pantry categories... there's just one cart and one "save" slot, and an order cannot contain both types. I end up cursing when a "simple" shopping list I had prepared in advance can take me 20 minutes to figure out whether to carve it up at Amazon or try to shop the whole thing out at Walmart.

Also, and related to that mess, Amazon's latest gig of "pick a Prime delivery day" has botched some orders where I already had a Prime order promised for next day by their default when I had purchased that item, but then I happened to make a Prime Pantry order and suddenly both items were scheduled for three days out even if still coming in separate boxes. I'd ditch Prime Pantry now in a heartbeat if it weren't for fact I then can't sometimes even order a plain Prime delivery of some food staple or household item.

Those things all add up lately to making me look just to Walmart when I'm only doing a re-stock of food staples.

Walmart requires a minimum of $35 on the order for free delivery but often makes a next day delivery now from a hub in Pennsylvania or New Jersey to here overnight instead of two-day. They're not going to do that for this shopper's satisfaction alone, so I figure things are picking up and there are more online Walmart grocery staple consumers in my area now. I find a one or two-day window convenient during winter when I dislike making a pantry re-up due to turn-on-a-dime mountain weather considerations. I like to order when I figure I'm not going to have to go out there first thing in the morning and shovel a path for the guy from the back door to a plowed driveway... at least I can count on a weather forecast for a one-day window, and usually for two... so Walmart does tend to get my winter orders now.

Of course Walmart's going to be looking at its margins, so over time things could eventually go back to my seeing four-day deliveries from someplace in Kansas... right now they're probably willing to take some losses trying to catch up with Amazon on delivery times in this particular segment of their operations. I've noticed more orders coming in one box from Walmart and sooner, versus in the past multiple boxes from multiple locations. Their experience is helping them stock their hubs better...

I've also had better luck with the condition of canned items with Walmart, and sometimes wonder if Amazon cuts deals with distributors about dented cans. On a non-pantry order from Amazon Prime once, I got a 12-can case of 7.5oz cans of salmon, nicely shrink-wrapped into its interior protection (a shallow corrugated cardboard tray) but a number of the cans were dented, including the two in the interior. I looked at those for awhile and wondered how you get a can in the middle of the pack dented by someone loading a courier truck when some adjoining cans aren't dented and the answer was "not". I didn't return the order and just used the dented cans soon... but my next order of salmon went to Walmart and fetched me cylinders of brown-paper-wrapped cans, no dents. I use the brown paper at my kitchen entrance to keep snow and salt from my boots off my floor in winter so that's a win too.

No food ordering for me yet online. My annoyance is at the Kroger’s offering a dollar off half gallon ice cream if I buy 6 of them ($6 off total). We no longer have a chest freezer so I simply don’t have the space, nor do I want to by that much at a time. Some things they want you to buy 10! ?

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
No food ordering for me yet online. My annoyance is at the Kroger’s offering a dollar off half gallon ice cream if I buy 6 of them ($6 off total). We no longer have a chest freezer so I simply don’t have the space, nor do I want to by that much at a time. Some things they want you to buy 10! ?

I have just an above-fridge freezer now too, and it's a running challenge to keep room for just one or two of whatever I like to have on hand in that space. I do keep a deep pantry for nonperishable items so don't mind ordering online a case lot of certain canned goods, or if in a supermarket I see one of those 10/$X sales on stuff I use frequently.

But when I order from Instacart now and have the order shopped out at a BJ's warehouse (because their lower prices to begin with do help make the markup less annoying) their family-oriented quantity thing does bug me sometimes. Even though I'm a huge fan of mustard, I am not going to go through two 13-oz containers of the stuff in a reasonable time, and I don't feel like allocating cupboard space for unopened "backup" bottles and jars of most condiments anyway.

This is why I initially liked Prime Pantry when I was without a vehicle for awhile... could include "just one" of this and that -- things like anchovies, capers, mayo, mustard-- to help make up a pantry box. But over time the aggravation of having to determine which items Amazon doesn't even carry in their Pantry section "right now" (since it varies), and having to split a potential Amazon staple foods order into two orders, yada yada... often causes me just to revert to the offer of a neighbor to take me along on a planned supermarket trip.

Bottom line, if I saw a beater car for sale that I liked and my mechanic liked too,,,, I'd be in the thing right now heading to the store for a short list of stuff and Amazon could whistle Dixie. But I know that I'm not going to want to be driving a car that much longer. That doesn't mean I'll be a patsy for however Amazon feels like running its Prime and Prime Pantry business. They do still have and I think should expect to have competition for the grocery side of their operations.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I agree that this is annoying. I found something on pantry the other day I wanted and couldn't order it because I didn't need any other "pantry" type items.

I wish pantry was free for prime members. Sometimes I don’t need $35 worth of stuff.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I don't "need" to be a Prime member. I still get FREE shipping, the standard slower shipping, for purchases over $25. Like over 95% of the items on Amazon have this FREE Shipping over $25 designation (for non Prime accounts).

freeship.png

And sure, I shop at Amazon almost every other week. But the point is, I don't need to pay for a Prime subscription. Because..... I have patience, and I can wait a few days. And I also have strategic planning. IF I know I will need an item by a certain day (for example, I need to have it ready as a bday present), then I will simply order well ahead of time. Amazon will keep raising the price of your Prime subscription, very likely increasing faster than the annual rate of inflation. At what point do you people say it's too much?
[automerge]1579257842[/automerge]
I have it but mostly for the video. I occasionally order small stuff I can't get locally. I just got a case for my AirPods case on it. Yea I know a case for a case :p
And then get another case for the case for the case. Eventually you end up with a Russian matryoshka AirPods doll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meuti

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I don't "need" to be a Prime member. I still get FREE shipping, the standard slower shipping, for purchases over $25. Like over 95% of the items on Amazon have this FREE Shipping over $25 designation (for non Prime accounts).

View attachment 889125

And sure, I shop at Amazon almost every other week. But the point is, I don't need to pay for a Prime subscription. Because..... I have patience, and I can wait a few days. And I also have strategic planning. IF I know I will need an item by a certain day (for example, I need to have it ready as a bday present), then I will simply order well ahead of time. Amazon will keep raising the price of your Prime subscription, very likely increasing faster than the annual rate of inflation. At what point do you people say it's too much?
[automerge]1579257842[/automerge]

Super saver shipping was available way before I signed up for Prime. I don't miss those days at all. Having to try and think of extra items you didn't need to make a particular order over $25 was annoying. And sometimes you need items fast. Plus I enjoy Prime music and video. The monthly fee is more than worth it to me.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
@MisterSavage I agree completely. I actually find myself watching and listening to both the prime stations quite a bit. One of my favorite shows is only on prime, so for me it is worth it. I have also found and liked several other prime shows along the way. The music is spot on! I listen to it quite a bit, so much so that I dropped my pandora account and just listen to the free version of prime music.

Reactions: MisterSavage

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I have it but mostly for the video. I occasionally order small stuff I can't get locally. I just got a case for my AirPods case on it. Yea I know a case for a case :p

I end up with alternate cases having different purposes or positional options, which is even a bigger pain in the neck, but yep I usually get them from Amazon and it may have been why I signed up for Prime, wanted some case and got tired of trying to accumulate a list of stuff that would add up to free shipping. Also I like it that you can find stuff there after Apple quit selling cases for some model of gear, even though they may support the related hardware itself for years later.. Amazon and then eBay is the case-hunting turf at that point.

And then get another case for the case for the case. Eventually you end up with a Russian kachina AirPods doll.

Well yep I know that drill! But I think you mean matryoshka dolls, the Russian dolls nested in successively larger hollow dolls that come apart to reveal the next smaller one inside.

Kachina dolls are of the Pueblo people in southwestern US and they are individual dolls, of one or another of several hundred types, usually given to children as educational representations of the culture's kachina dancers. Those dancers are adults whose performances impersonate the spirits who are said to mediate between humans and the gods.​

I do sometimes end up with cases and cases inside cases when I'm going to be traveling... a little case for adapter and charging cables, another one for peripheral cables for laptop, all tucked into some larger gear case that has an iPad keyboard case I don't favor most of the time plus some mobile gear like small iPods or iPod touch with some audiobook I'm listening to at night at that particular time and a backup drive and yada yada yada... thing ends up weiging 15 pounds sometimes with a couple iPads thrown in there for good measure.

Super saver shipping was available way before I signed up for Prime. I don't miss those days at all. Having to try and think of extra items you didn't need to make a particular order over $25 was annoying. And sometimes you need items fast. Plus I enjoy Prime music and video. The monthly fee is more than worth it to me.

Same here. Can't give up Prime yet... even though I'm much less of a general goods consumer than I used to be. I replace things now and then and like being able to do it on short notice, but it's ages now since I was constantly deciding to buy a duplicate of some kitchen item for upstate use after getting tired of having to tote the original back and forth from the city on weekends. And I'm mildly hooked into stuff like Kindle Unlimited (at discounts for extended subscription bc I refuse to see that stupid thing ding me on a monthly basis but occasionally like what I find in there) and Prime Video options which I do like as alternative to Netflix and iTunes.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Amazon prime is convenient for me since I decide to buy things at random times, and I am usually impatient just after ordering items. It also comes with Twitch prime, so that's a bonus for me.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Super saver was beyond horrid. Even before we did Prime, I would still purposely PAY for regular standard because Super would take OVER A WEEK just to ship, not even including delivery time.

Reactions: MisterSavage

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Super saver was beyond horrid. Even before we did Prime, I would still purposely PAY for regular standard because Super would take OVER A WEEK just to ship, not even including delivery time.

For it being 2020, I’m surprised that is still an option.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
For it being 2020, I’m surprised that is still an option.

It's funny because after we discussed this here I got a message that if I added more items to my order so that it exceeded $35 I would get same day shipping for free. I ended up doing it. :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Been Prime for too long and spent too much money with them.

I do like those occasional same day deliveries though.

They also have some interesting delivery patterns.
My home can get same day and 1 day.
I have 2 business locations, 4 miles from my house. The businesses are 1/2 a mile apart. 1 of them can get next day, the other 2 day or later.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Walmart must be trying harder lately... staple groceries I order get promised as 2-day delivery but have been showing up the next day. Amazon lately going in the other direction for me and saying order in next 10 hours, get it tomorrow, I finish the order in ten minutes and it comes two days later.

All good I guess --consumer is supposed to win in presence of competition even between behmoths?-- except they're both probably taking it out on the employees packing and dispatching the orders.

markstyles

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
I order a fair amount of things, so Prime makes sense. They are pretty generous with returns, sometimes just getting the Fedex return #, they'll credit you. They do go out of their way to make you satisfied. and of course 'The Expanse (all 4 seasons) for free makes it worth it. They have some decent video programming, and an amount of crap. but most of the streaming service are like that.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That is one service I really have not taken advantage of, the whole Prime streaming/viewing of movies, TV, whatever..... I really need to check it out one of these evenings! I've seen mention of a couple of shows I'd like to see, just haven't gotten around to actually doing anything about it. Most of my music I obtain and enjoy through iTunes so have not really looked at that closely at what Prime offers there with streaming, either. I really just like having the ability to order something and have it on my doorstep the next day or at the very latest the day after that.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Haha, I feel this. I do the same thing.
It's actually allowed by Amazon. I believe that anyone who has an Amazon Prime membership can allow "account sharing" with one other adult, and 4 children (minors, they cannot be adult children). If I recall, they must all be in the same "household" which means they have the same address, same default shipping/billing address, etc.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I have definitely made use of my prime subscription, especially with all that’s going on in the world now. It is being renewed in October. Hopefully Amazon doesn’t raise the prcies

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Amazon Prime is, IMO, an absolute masterclass in how to do subscriptions.

For less than the cost of Netflix, you get prime video, music, photo storage, twitch prime, free ebooks on the lending library, try-before-you-buy on clothes. Most of which can be shared with others in your household. The free next day delivery is just a bonus really when you think about it.

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
I became a Prime member about 2 years ago an I don't regret it one bit. I mainly use it for the free delivery but Prime Video is a bonus to me. Also the fact they've now got Premier League football on there is excellent albeit they don't show too many games due to Sky's dominance.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I have definitely made use of my prime subscription, especially with all that’s going on in the world now. It is being renewed in October. Hopefully Amazon doesn’t raise the prcies

Upload on Prime Video was really entertaining if you haven't watched it yet.

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.