Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many are Prime members?

• Me!

Votes: 153 82.7%
  • Not me..

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Thinking about it..

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Prime delivery, Video and music has been well worth it for me over the past several years. We pretty much order from Amazon daily and have the Fire Cube on our TV which is awesome.

My old Fire stick was driving me nuts (slow and clunky). I have to say the newer version is great. Using voice search is so much faster for browsing to what I want to view.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I used to have Prime, but I think until 2-day free shipping returns to normal, I'll wait. Now and then I'll get a month of Prime Video, which IMO is definitely worth a large part of the annual fee.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
For me the Prime video is worth it alone, there's tons of great ad-free programming and most of the shipping still gets here within a couple of days but I don't fault them if/when it's a bit late right now. For the most part their services are a bang for your buck IMO.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have definitely made use of my prime subscription, especially with all that’s going on in the world now. It is being renewed in October. Hopefully Amazon doesn’t raise the prcies

Awesome to hear you've been making use of the subscription. I agree, I've definitely received the better end of the deal for the asking price with everything that's going on in the world. I think when I started it was $79 or $99 if memory serves me correct. They definitely have a tendency to increase the subscription price but I'll continue to make sure I get my money's worth :)

Reactions: max2

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Having owned almost all type of streaming devices I’d say the fire stick is provides the most value for money.

Indeed, it was supposed to be £110 and I got it for £62 in the end. It’s not so much value for money for me though, more that it does exactly what I need it to do. The fact I saved a lot of money over the Apple TV box was just a pleasant bonus.

Reactions: max2 and akash.nu

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Awesome to hear you've been making use of the subscription. I agree, I've definitely received the better end of the deal for the asking price with everything that's going on in the world. I think when I started it was $79 or $99 if memory serves me correct. They definitely have a tendency to increase the subscription price but I'll continue to make sure I get my money's worth :)

Yep, I love that you also get Prime Music and Video with it. Along with photos too. probably the best deal out there

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I was originally one of those curmudgeons who thought, “I don’t care if it takes me 10-14 days to get something!”

But then I tried it. Don’t even remember why. I think it was to get Christmas gifts delivered fast. And like a dummy, I kept on paying monthly instead of annually until just recently. ?

Like others, I like it not just for the delivery but for the streaming content. I’m pretty much hooked now.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Particularly during the stay-at-home and the whole Pandemic thing I have really appreciated being able to go on the Amazon site, look at various items, make a decision, simply click on something and voila, a day or two later the item is delivered right to my doorstep. Very frequently (depending upon what time I placed the order) it will arrive the very next day, which is pretty cool. I will not hesitate to renew my subscription when it needs to be done -- I think it's in November -- because this service really is valuable to me, has been for a long time and certainly has more than proven its worth to me over the past several months.

I haven't bothered with the other goodies that come along with my Prime account, but one of these days I'll get around to that.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Particularly during the stay-at-home and the whole Pandemic thing I have really appreciated being able to go on the Amazon site, look at various items, make a decision, simply click on something and voila, a day or two later the item is delivered right to my doorstep. Very frequently (depending upon what time I placed the order) it will arrive the very next day, which is pretty cool. I will not hesitate to renew my subscription when it needs to be done -- I think it's in November -- because this service really is valuable to me, has been for a long time and certainly has more than proven its worth to me over the past several months.

I haven't bothered with the other goodies that come along with my Prime account, but one of these days I'll get around to that.

Yeah but didn't things take like 3 or 4 days instead during that time or sometimes even a week ? Mainly because Amazon was focusing on shipping household products first ?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Yeah but didn't things take like 3 or 4 days instead during that time or sometimes even a week ? Mainly because Amazon was focusing on shipping household products first ?

Yeah, back in early April. I mean that was understandable as the whole world was going through our first go around with the pandemic. Of course now the shipping times are somewhat back to normal. I can get a lot of items with 1 day shipping.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Retail is in trouble or at a minimum is being transformed. Stores can’t stock all the things customers want and I will no longer drive around town looking for something I need. I needed a plumbing gasket, went to a local plumbing supply chain. They did not have it. Drove to 3 sports stores looking for suitable swim trunks for a 66 year old man to swim laps. Did not have. Called a retail battery specialty store for replacement batteries to my cordless house phones. They could get them in 6 days. Ended up buying all three on Amazon at cheaper than retail pricing.
Hi
What you say is so true and very similar to my own experiences in many cases.
We have DIY stores here that are basically catalogues now. If you want something
they order it for you and it's there in 3 days.
School specified a book for the class and told the local book shop, but even at the end of summer they still didn't have stock, couldn't tell me when it would be in and wouldn't let me reserve a copy so I had to get it off Amazon.
It's really sad. Retailers complain but actually, they often do the job really badly and have only themselves to blame.
[automerge]1595670432[/automerge]
Another aspect of Prime is if you have a problem they are really good at sorting it out and refunds. Been a while since I haven't had it to compare but it isn't the same on Amazon marketplace.
Prime Video has become excellent and is just getting better.
Really enjoyed Good Omens, Upload, Jack Ryan (first season) Sneaky Pete, Picard, The Aeronauts......
They have far more good original content for the same price as Apple TV here, irrespective of music and delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I just caved and renewed an annual Prime membership. Trying to buy some things locally has been frustrating, and Prime Video has been consistently good (opted for the $8.99/month for a couple months). The annual plan is basically $1.01 more than the monthly Prime Video only plan, so to get that and the much faster shipping, I'm in. I just cancelled an order placed last night, and reordered it now with Prime, which was about a 7-day difference in shipping dates.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi
What you say is so true and very similar to my own experiences in many cases.
We have DIY stores here that are basically catalogues now. If you want something
they order it for you and it's there in 3 days.
School specified a book for the class and told the local book shop, but even at the end of summer they still didn't have stock, couldn't tell me when it would be in and wouldn't let me reserve a copy so I had to get it off Amazon.
It's really sad. Retailers complain but actually, they often do the job really badly and have only themselves to blame.
[automerge]1595670432[/automerge]
Another aspect of Prime is if you have a problem they are really good at sorting it out and refunds. Been a while since I haven't had it to compare but it isn't the same on Amazon marketplace.
Prime Video has become excellent and is just getting better.
Really enjoyed Good Omens, Upload, Jack Ryan (first season) Sneaky Pete, Picard, The Aeronauts......
They have far more good original content for the same price as Apple TV here, irrespective of music and delivery.
The way Home Depots and Lowe’s (hardware and building supply) work is they stock what sells regularly, the rest is online. I did order a nail gun from Lowe’s online because for that instance it was the best deal, but I ordered my lawn mower on Amazon.

Amazon is running circles around everyone. If you order a lot of stuff from them, Prime, the free delivery, 1-2 day delivery for prime items, easy returns, in many cases no questions asked returns, Amazon has set a bar so high that no one can compete with them at this point in time. And a huge difference is the lack of brick and mortar overhead which more than offsets delivery costs.

They have such a robust Delivery system that it’s just calculated into their overall expenses without specifically charging the customer for it. Does that mean they make a little less? Possibly, but their overall sales volume more than makes up for it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

I think some of this depends upon the area in which one lives. I'm in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC, and we have Amazon warehouses in fairly close proximity, plus major airports close by. Amazon also has a rather large fleet of their own delivery trucks, too. I only one time during that stay-at-home period did get a delivery on the third day rather than next day or second day, and I think they had to restock, as it was an item in demand. Most of the stuff I was ordering was household goods, though, come to think of it, too.

I didn't attempt to order anything like toilet paper, paper towels or masks, though, since they were clearly out of stock or in very, very high demand. Only later when things had loosened up a bit did I place an order for surgical masks, which came in a few days.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I’ve noted the timeliness of Amazon deliveries has been a bit sloppy. It used to be excellent but now I’d rank it as good.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I’ve noted the timeliness of Amazon deliveries has been a bit sloppy. It used to be excellent but now I’d rank it as good.

Well from what I’ve noticed, they use USPS a lot and USPS is having major delays. I have ordered some masks from Etsy and the last “scan” date from USPS was last Sunday and still no updates. I opened multiple cases and had it escalated and they keep saying they are using trucks to transport and not using planes so it’s taking longer than normal.

When amazon uses another delivery carrier, it seems to arrive with no issue.

Reactions: dk001

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Well from what I’ve noticed, they use USPS a lot and USPS is having major delays. I have ordered some masks from Etsy and the last “scan” date from USPS was last Sunday and still no updates. I opened multiple cases and had it escalated and they keep saying they are using trucks to transport and not using planes so it’s taking longer than normal.

Most deliveries in my area is by Amazon then UPS followed by USPS. Around here USPS lives up to their bad reputation for service and quality.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Since the Covid19 issue, I have had three “lost” deliveries.
All were USPS.
Amazon, UPS, and Fedex have been very good.

A side note; since Covid19 I have had several delayed deliveries. I am assuming this was due to prioritizing deliveries and the lockdowns. and let’s not talk about deliveries that originate in China. Oof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.