Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Prior to tvOS 16.2, you could disable the hub function separately in the tvOS settings. With 16.3 you have to remove from HomeKit altogether.

I have:
2 ATV 4Kg1 - Gb Ethernet, no thread
2 ATV 4Kg2 - Gb Ethernet, thread
1 HomePod mini - WiFi 4, thread

Not sure what algorithm Apple uses to decide which one to use, but seems to prefer the least used and older ATV 4Kg1

0668a5a4556236c1493e43df6357a7bb.jpg

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
LOL it's all good. I've been messing around as I do and as I restarted the Apple TV I wanted as the hub, I restarted it. I also, restarted the HomePod Mini and somehow that fixed my issue. Now I only have 5 devices that are "No Responses" as opposed to the 35 I had before posting. Thank you.
iOS 16 has been a friggen nightmare for HomeKit.

leicaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
Ironically, I added a new HomePod just today to my network (Love it by the way!) and my most ancient AppleTV took over as the connected Hub. My Apple TV 4k (gen 2) is right by my router, and so is the new HomePod. So I'd rather one of those become my Home Hub. Actually, I'd prefer the HomePod simply because it is always on, while the AppleTV reboots occasionally for reasons.

What's bad about that is the old AppleTV doesn't support Matter, let alone Thread. Whereas the other two support both.

DaniMol

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2023
In my experience HomeKit automatically selects the ‘connected’ hub based on local IP address: The one with the lowest IP address will become the ‘connected’ one. If that one switches off, the one with the then lowest IP address will become the new ‘connected’ one until the other one switches back on.
So if you want to have a certain device to be the dominant hub, manually set its IP address to the lowest number you can give it (192.168.1.2 or something similar).
In the other case, if you want a certain device not to become the ‘connected’ hub, manually give it the highest IP address you can give it, say 192.168.1.254
You can do this both in the devices themselves or in your router.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
In my experience HomeKit automatically selects the ‘connected’ hub based on local IP address: The one with the lowest IP address will become the ‘connected’ one. If that one switches off, the one with the then lowest IP address will become the new ‘connected’ one until the other one switches back on.
So if you want to have a certain device to be the dominant hub, manually set its IP address to the lowest number you can give it (192.168.1.2 or something similar).
In the other case, if you want a certain device not to become the ‘connected’ hub, manually give it the highest IP address you can give it, say 192.168.1.254
You can do this both in the devices themselves or in your router.
If this works, you Sir, are a genius.

Random switching of the Hub is the bane of my HomeKit setup.

Last edited:

bilbo84

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
If this works, you Sir, are a genius.

Random switching of the Hub is the bane of my HomeKit setup.
Has this worked for you? Similar issue here where my primary hub defaults to an older HomePod or AppleTV then all my Thread devices go offline or searching. Would make this so much easier if we could just disable or mark priority order similar to how you can on MacOS with network priority in settings.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Has this worked for you? Similar issue here where my primary hub defaults to an older HomePod or AppleTV then all my Thread devices go offline or searching. Would make this so much easier if we could just disable or mark priority order similar to how you can on MacOS with network priority in settings.
So far so good 👍🏻. It’s been since Monday and my Hub hasn’t randomly switched. HomeKit has been stable the whole time. Out of all the Hubs in my house, this particular one does not have the lowest IP number but it’s still sticking when I gave it a static address.

bilbo84

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
So far so good 👍🏻. It’s been since Monday and my Hub hasn’t randomly switched. HomeKit has been stable the whole time. Out of all the Hubs in my house, this particular one does not have the lowest IP number but it’s still sticking when I gave it a static address.
Did you adjust it within the AppleTV settings or router? I don’t see an option to adjust my HomePod mini IP at all in home app settings.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Did you adjust it within the AppleTV settings or router? I don’t see an option to adjust my HomePod mini IP at all in home app settings.
Router settings. Force the hub you want to be connected by powering off the others then select the hub you want in router settings to have a static IP

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok just an update. My hub switched itself sometime in the past couple hours. Noticed my hardwired AppleTV (the one that was actually the connected hub of choice) was lagging a lot. Checked the Home settings and it is no longer the connected hub.

bilbo84

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
Ok just an update. My hub switched itself sometime in the past couple hours. Noticed my hardwired AppleTV (the one that was actually the connected hub of choice) was lagging a lot. Checked the Home settings and it is no longer the connected hub.
I just set mine static will see how it works over next few days. Really seems wild that we can just set a priority rank or disable on older non thread devices.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I tried the static IP trick, but it didn't work for me. HomeKit continues to pick the oldest device available as a hub, to be the hub. In my case, that's a Gen1 ATV 4K, which is one of 2 out of my 6 hubs that does not have Thread capability. Prior to that, it seemed to default to whichever ATV was not connected via ethernet.

Apple Support says that the Home app is optimized to select the most appropriate hub. I disagree...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I tried the static IP trick, but it didn't work for me. HomeKit continues to pick the oldest device available as a hub, to be the hub. In my case, that's a Gen1 ATV 4K, which is one of 2 out of my 6 hubs that does not have Thread capability. Prior to that, it seemed to default to whichever ATV was not connected via ethernet.

Apple Support says that the Home app is optimized to select the most appropriate hub. I disagree...
I also disagree…

Pretty difficult to agree when HomeKit was running perfectly fine until the Hub switches for no reason and destroys everything.

Reactions: rayward

bilbo84

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015

Same thing here it keeps defaulting to a stereo pair of HomePod gen 1 and all my thread devices go into searching.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
By way of update, I think the Home app was defaulting to the specific Apple TV on which I first set up my smart home a couple of years ago. For reasons not relevant here, this weekend I deleted my original home and started from scratch using a HomePod mini to start the new home set-up.

As of now, the Home app is using one of the 2nd gen Apple TVs as the hub, which makes me happy.

Last edited:

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I run reserved IPs on all my HomePods and one of them gets switched off overnight. That one happened to be the lowest IP and I really don't want it to be my controller.

I've just reconfigured them all with my preferred HomePod on the lowest IP and working my way through them. They're on six hour leases so hopefully they'll all sort themselves out overnight. We'll see.

If this works, it's a great tip, thanks.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Thanks.
Worked.
For now, until the next power outage, unplugging, or network issue, or the Apple TV updates, or is under load, or a million other things.

Home hub management is not meant to be manual. It is meant to be handled the way database promotion is handled. The device best suited to be primary is elected to primary. "Best suited" is based on factors that you may not even be aware of at the time. Of course people SWEAR that ethernet connected Apple TV's perform infinitely better than HomePod minis as Home Hub, but that's of course nonsense. In optimal circumstances, there would be a negligible difference at best. If it was always optimal for the plugged in Apple TV to be the Home hub, then it would already work that way. It's a little ridiculous the way people think they have it figured out, and Apple doesn't.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sparky672

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
For now, until the next power outage, unplugging, or network issue.

Home hub management is not meant to be manual. It is meant to be handled the way database promotion is handled. The device best suited to be primary is elected to primary. "Best suited" is based on factors that you may not even be aware of at the time. Of course people SWEAR that ethernet connected Apple TV's perform infinitely better than HomePod minis as Home Hub, but that's of course nonsense. In optimal circumstances, there would be a negligible difference at best. If it was always optimal for the plugged in Apple TV to be the Home hub, then it would already work that way. It's a little ridiculous the way people think they have it figured out, and Apple doesn't.
I guess 100 people can be wrong…

This complaint is all over the internet. Certain hubs just perform way better than others. Not saying a hardwired ATV is the way to go but it’s no coincidence that when a HomePod Mini at the very ends of my house takes over as the hub and then suddenly multiple cameras and accessories go offline and stay offline. Funny because it was working perfectly fine before the hub decided to switch itself for no apparent reason.

Sure, because HomeKit has been a rock solid platform for all since it was released and Apple is just pure perfection when it comes to HomeKit 🙄. Still can’t get my wife invited back into HomeKit. That new architecture has been a blast!

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
I guess 100 people can be wrong…

This complaint is all over the internet. Certain hubs just perform way better than others. Not saying a hardwired ATV is the way to go but it’s no coincidence that when a HomePod Mini at the very ends of my house takes over as the hub and then suddenly multiple cameras and accessories go offline and stay offline. Funny because it was working perfectly fine before the hub decided to switch itself for no apparent reason.

Sure, because HomeKit has been a rock solid platform for all since it was released and Apple is just pure perfection when it comes to HomeKit 🙄. Still can’t get my wife invited back into HomeKit. That new architecture has been a blast!
That's exactly what a coincidence is. Rather, a red herring. People self diagnosing problems and deciding this is a solution.

Does it even occur to you that: HomePod mini has no ability for Home hub to be turned off, like Apple TV does, and that this might be for a reason? If there was a critical flaw with HomePod mini's ability to serve as a home hub, don't you think Apple would at least allow it to be turned off?

99% of these issues are people's networks. Period. People think that because one thing works a little better than another that means it must be the thing, not their network. Spoiler: it's always your network.

• Haha

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Right now my new Apple TV is acting as the main hub and when I refresh my sensor status page on Home+ 6 or generally everything in Home App, the status updates are almost instantaneous.

But very very often one of the Kitchen Homepods is selected as the main hub. For no apparent reason to me, as the Kitchen is the room with my weakest Internet coverage which is confirmed by tests I run through my routers. Refreshing the sensor status pages takes then an eternity. 10s, sometimes 20s.

But I am sure it's all coincidence...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
That's exactly what a coincidence is. Rather, a red herring. People self diagnosing problems and deciding this is a solution.

Does it even occur to you that: HomePod mini has no ability for Home hub to be turned off, like Apple TV does, and that this might be for a reason? If there was a critical flaw with HomePod mini's ability to serve as a home hub, don't you think Apple would at least allow it to be turned off?

99% of these issues are people's networks. Period. People think that because one thing works a little better than another that means it must be the thing, not their network. Spoiler: it's always your network.
Happens once or twice, sure we’ll call it a coincidence. But every single time and it becomes a rule. Seems Apple rarely admits to flaws in their software (the new architecture exception… thank goodness they pulled that atrocity). Do you read what’s going on? Many people in many forums having to dance to the devil, going through this whole rigmarole to get their HomeKit to work again, like it did before Apple HomeKit coders got their hands on it in the form of a software update. Unplug all your hubs, then restart your network, then plug in your hubs, then restart your iPhone, then do the Hokey Pokey and turn yourself around. Why is that? Because Apple doesn’t publish any troubleshooting steps to fix their crappy coding and people are having to try to figure it out on their own or wait for the next update. You shouldn’t need to be an MIT graduate with a major in network engineering. If it is my network, then Apple should publish what network settings are needed to make their stuff stable.

When my HomeKit setup is stable on a certain hub for many days, then for no reason, it switches and everything goes down, that’s not a network issue. That’s an Apple algorithm issue. Why they don’t allow us to de-select the HomePod, I have no clue. They don’t allow us to do many things like actually automate a door lock or garage door.

By the way, it’s 100% not my network. Maybe terrible Wi-Fi chip in the HomePod but definitely not my network. I have an eero Pro 6 system with five nodes all with wired back haul. Verizon FiOS Gig up/down. All my eight AppleTVs are hard wired. I have a total of 17 HomePods (OG and Mini mix). When I do speed tests at these HomePod locations, they’re consistent on my iPhone getting expected speeds. Why is the HomePod Mini so awful, I’ve no clue. Maybe outdated Wi-Fi equipment.

So, please, if Apple’s algorithm for switching hubs is flawless, explain to me why HomeKit underperforms when a different hub arbitrarily picks up the duties of active hub. Especially when it was previously working just fine.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Many people in many forums having to dance to the devil, going through this whole rigmarole to get their HomeKit to work again,
And many many more don't. Almost as if there is a variable amongst users. Like...network.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
And many many more don't. Almost as if there is a variable amongst users. Like...network.
Well, not everyone has the same issues with iOS either. For example, on iOS 16.1, when my kids requested a purchase on the App Store, my wife nor I received the notification for it like we used to. I posted a thread about that and apparently not everyone had that same issue. Surely that’s not a network issue. Why are some affected by these bugs and some aren’t?

You haven’t answered my question though. I’m not the only that would like that answered either. Why would the hub auto switch when the previous hub was working just fine and the newly active hub isn’t?

So if the network is the problem, why is Apple’s awful algorithm choosing the inferior performing hub? That makes sense?

Last post on here #122, last paragraph. This is not coincidence. These are real complaints. Now show me a post where the person is happy with their hub auto switching for no apparent reason:

Last edited:

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
This has gotten beyond stupid. I have two hubs now that take over when I don't want or need them to and they mess things up. My OG HomePods and one of my Apple TVs love being the hub and they both suck at it. I don't know or care why, but my HomePod Minis are by far the best as the hub so FFS Apple just let me have them be the default.

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Why would the hub auto switch when the previous hub was working just fine and the newly active hub isn’t?

Following this thread and I agree with what you have written. I have one Apple TV which is not the newest in the house also at the end of the house but it does have a node in there. If that Apple TV is the hub everything works fine (ok one Homeppod mini needs to be restarted every so often to keep them as stereo). If the hub moves to the newest Apple TV I get some Homekit to go offline. If the hub moves to a HomePod min or the Homepod then I lose about 10 HomeKit devices.

Honestly, I don't really care which device is the hub only that it is a hub where everything works. It is a pain having to switch it off to get the correct hub so everything works.

Agree with you if the hub was working correctly why does it need to switch to a hub that is not working correctly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.