Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
What exactly is the “normal” amount of HomePods? You do know that not all houses are built exactly the same. Some have more rooms than others. Some have more levels than others. Some have a garage and some don’t, etc… and I’m way below the allotted amount of clients for my multi node, hardwired network.

I have 17 HomePods in total. Where is the documentation from Apple that says what a normal amount is for my home? Did they place an imaginary or undocumented cap on the number of HomePods I can have? Because if there is a cap, I’d be really pissed if Apple let me continue to purchase HomePods without documentation informing me that I may have too many. By the way, the new architecture, which I’m on, has brought its own slew of issues which weren’t present before.

Please explain to me again why HomePods are the only devices that are causing problems on my network. Thanks.

Just from reading your posts, I would bet you have no experience with this stuff and are here as an Apple apologist just to stir the pot. Yes, I will call the Apple HomePod team stupid. With every update comes a variety of new bugs including breaking stuff that used to work. This is the only Apple device out of 14 (this total includes 1/8 AppleTVs and 1/17 HomePods) devices that causes me grief daily. I paid a lot of money for this stuff so I can criticize when it doesn’t work as advertised. I don’t give a crap what they do in the engineering lab or how they do it. I’m a consumer. My only concern is if the product I paid a high premium for works the way it’s being marketed. Well, it’s not… They produce, I pay. End of story.
17 HomePods is normal, and couldn't possibly be a factor? Things are always optimized around the norm, and there is nothing normal, common, typical, or any other synonym about having 17 HomePods in a single home on a single network. Is it a factor with your inexplicable issues that people without 17 HomePods don't have? Can't say. It is a variable? Absolutely. To pretend otherwise is it simply denial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
17 HomePods is normal, and couldn't possibly be a factor? Things are always optimized around the norm, and there is nothing normal, common, typical, or any other synonym about having 17 HomePods in a single home on a single network. Is it a factor with your inexplicable issues that people without 17 HomePods don't have? Can't say. It is a variable? Absolutely. To pretend otherwise is it simply denial.
Again, What the hell is normal? I have over 150 clients on my network behaving smooth as silk but 17 HomePods is not normal? Where is the documentation from Apple saying 17 is too many?

Ya know, maybe if Apple would just stop being stubborn and let us disable or select hubs as we see fit, something many of us have pleaded with them to just let us control, then I wouldn’t have 17 HomePod hubs on my network. They would just be 17 smart speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
How did you run the latency test? If you don’t mind me asking?

I ask as you have UniFi AP, I run UniFi SW for my aps
Within The UniFi Network Controller app, if you go to the Client Devices screen you can select any device shown in the list and run a latency test against it.

Reactions: Neil Harrison

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Again, What the hell is normal?
You're being intentionally dense. What do you think the average number of HomePods owned by HomePod owners is? 2? 1.5? Surely it isn't more than 3, on average.

A home with 5-6 HomePods is probably what Apple tests with and benchmarks performance against. Not 17. Don't pretend like 17 is normal. This isn't to say the 17 is even a factor. But it is absolutely a VARIABLE that has to be considered. Shut off 10 of them for a week and see if performance improves.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You're being intentionally dense. What do you think the average number of HomePods owned by HomePod owners is? 2? 1.5? Surely it isn't more than 3, on average.

A home with 5-6 HomePods is probably what Apple tests with and benchmarks performance against. Not 17. Don't pretend like 17 is normal. This isn't to say the 17 is even a factor. But it is absolutely a VARIABLE that has to be considered. Shut off 10 of them for a week and see if performance improves.
Yeah, I would love to shut off all 17 but ya see, Apple doesn’t allow us to do that. Are you not following along?

It’s funny how there is always a ratio of 10:1 people having issues to people claim to not have issues on here and Reddit.

You still haven’t given a reason why 17 is too many. You’re being intentionally untruthful.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

Anyways, I’m done with you. The mods edited my posts and completely changed the context to make you seem smarter so there’s no point anymore. Enjoy your fake HomeKit experience.

Good job reporting my posts, hero.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
A home with 5-6 HomePods is probably what Apple tests with and benchmarks performance against. Not 17. Don't pretend like 17 is normal.

Don't pretend like you know how Apple conducts testing. None of us here would have absolutely any idea what Apple defines as "normal".

As an engineer, I would test against the worst case, but this too is only an opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Yeah, I would love to shut off all 17 but ya see, Apple doesn’t allow us to do that. Are you not following along?

It’s funny how there is always a ratio of 10:1 people having issues to people claim to not have issues on here and Reddit.

You still haven’t given a reason why 17 is too many. You’re being intentionally untruthful.
You still haven't unplugged them to see if the problem goes away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.