Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Definitely overpriced at $99, I feel like over time Apple is going to try to make that the new price for all watch bands. I won’t be collecting anymore if that’s what it comes to.

Then again, the knockoffs always lose a lot of quality. They feel inadequate to me.

As others have suggested, I suspect the reason Ultra bands are $99 are because they use titanium for the metal pieces on the Ultra bands vs something else. Still, like most anything Apple, it is overpriced only because that is what the market allows. Apple knows that when they put out something, the price can be polarizing; yet people will buy it.

I don't believe Apple will make that the price for all bands. Sport bands have been $49 for over 7 years now, and Apple could have at any point bumped them up $10 or so. I do believe that Ultra bands will never be lower than $99; but you have to hand it to Apple. They introduced a band between the Sport band and leather/metal/Hermes pricing that people will buy to use with their non-Ultra watches. Besides, that $49 dollar price for a sport band looks downright affordable when you compare it to a Ocean band that is twice the price. With one move, Apple made their sport bands appear more affordable than they were previously despite being the same price, and created a new profit segment with the Ultra bands. We could argue that Apple could have priced the Ultra bands at $49, and lowered sport bands to $29, but remember, this is Apple 😆

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
As others have suggested, I suspect the reason Ultra bands are $99 are because they use titanium for the metal pieces on the Ultra bands vs something else. Still, like most anything Apple, it is overpriced only because that is what the market allows. Apple knows that when they put out something, the price can be polarizing; yet people will buy it.

I don't believe Apple will make that the price for all bands. Sport bands have been $49 for over 7 years now, and Apple could have at any point bumped them up $10 or so. I do believe that Ultra bands will never be lower than $99; but you have to hand it to Apple. They introduced a band between the Sport band and leather/metal/Hermes pricing that people will buy to use with their non-Ultra watches. Besides, that $49 dollar price for a sport band looks downright affordable when you compare it to an Ocean band that is twice the price. With one move, Apple made their sport bands appear more affordable than they were previously despite being the same price, and created a new profit segment with the Ultra bands. We could argue that Apple could have priced the Ultra bands at $49, and lowered sport bands to $29, but remember, this is Apple 😆
With the proviso that accessories is where they return profit from selling hardware a tad too cheap (remember the thousand bucks we were expecting to drop on iPad 1 or the AW Ultra?) and is of course just maximum what the market will bear gouging etc etc, I think if Apple had to give a rational explanation on the $99 non-leather bands, it’s that they do more of a job than your basic “sport”/silicone model.

The Ultras offer their activity-specific features and durability, the BSL has the comfort/versatility/workout ability of a “sport”/silicone with the dress-up of grandparent’s golf sweater. Add in a dash of “this takes longer to make” et voila you get to a Benji.

Reactions: mikedop

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
I'm looking for an older "Fog" sport band and perusing ebay has me seeing a ton of listings with stock photos which I don't totally trust.

Any place I can go to get a new set that I can trust? Or is it mostly try your luck with ebay?

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
S/M. I have small wrists :D
Ok assuming 38mm, here are your options:

Chargerstore is a seller we all know and trust and have spent a ton of money with but you’ll pay retail and wait awhile for arrival

Mike was dissatisfied with this seller but I had a fine experience ordering a band for my friend and it’s $9 and you’re always covered by the eBay money back guarantee if it’s fake or the partial refund exists if there’s a disagreement about condition.

If you’re not happy with this order they prob won’t bother asking for the band back because shipping costs them. Unfortunately they don’t have pics of the back of the band on their listings.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Ok assuming 38mm, here are your options:

Chargerstore is a seller we all know and trust and have spent a ton of money with but you’ll pay retail and wait awhile for arrival

Mike was dissatisfied with this seller but I had a fine experience ordering a band for my friend and it’s $9 and you’re always covered by the eBay money back guarantee if it’s fake or the partial refund exists if there’s a disagreement about condition.

If you’re not happy with this order they prob won’t bother asking for the band back because shipping costs them. Unfortunately they don’t have pics of the back of the band on their listings.
Super helpful - thanks!

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Pretty elaborate fake Hermes:
BD69A8E1-D647-41AF-A8A4-56574FBF6BC2.jpeg
69FA827D-15FD-4BDA-8BF3-CC91CBA13152.jpeg
86B38490-83BA-4206-A6AB-CD96658C0402.png

Reactions: paulchiu and twanj

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Geez that is a pretty good fake. It even has the Stainless Steel marking on the underside of the clasp. Really have to look closely to see it’s a fake. There are a few indicators: embossing is too deep and wrong font, year code is wrong, the lugs look like they are 3rd party. But I’m not sure I would have noticed any of that if I were just casually browsing the listing.

Reactions: athousandbands

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I bought the Apple Trail Loop and then a £15 off Amazon. Sent the Apple one back as you can hardly tell the difference. Can you spot the Apple one?

Attachments

• IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 227

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I bought the Apple Trail Loop and then a £15 off Amazon. Sent the Apple one back as you can hardly tell the difference. Can you spot the Apple one?
The one on the right is the genuine band. I can spot several differences, but whether that makes the Apple version worth the premium is down to personal preference. I have always felt the difference between an Apple band and a knockoff is smallest for woven bands (sport loop, woven nylon, etc.) and that seems true here too.

Reactions: mikedop and twanj

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
The one on the right is the genuine band. I can spot several differences, but whether that makes the Apple version worth the premium is down to personal preference. I have always felt the difference between an Apple band and a knockoff is smallest for woven bands (sport loop, woven nylon, etc.) and that seems true here too.
It's the one on the left (but now you've got me thinking?) Has anyone got the genuine trail loop? If so you can see a "M/L" on the titanium "lug". I thought that was the cheap Amazon one? Maybe I sent the cheap one back to Apple by mistake? Oops!

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
It's the one on the left (but now you've got me thinking?) Has anyone got the genuine trail loop? If so you can see a "M/L" on the titanium "lug". I thought that was the cheap Amazon one? Maybe I sent the cheap one back to Apple by mistake? Oops!
Wait you’re saying the one on the left is the Apple band? That looks like the fake to me. The band doesn’t fill the loop lug, the loop lug looks flimsier, the sewing on the other lug is much poorer quality, and the piping on the edges of the band doesn’t go all the way to the orange pull tab. The lugs especially are signs of fakes on the sport loop line so I figured that would be true here too. I don’t own an ultra or any of the ultra bands though so I’m not an expert.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I really think I’ve sent the wrong one back now! This is the one I have now. Only way to tell if it’s the Apple one is if someone here who has one has these marks;

d26f39e4ced1e6faaaba4e2e7d99887a.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: twanj

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I just spent more time than I care to admit examining this pic versus official Apple ones, and I can’t tell you which is genuine because *neither* appear to be. That’s not an opinion—there are several notable differences between these and the photos Apple uses. And to be clear, I’m not saying they’re both fake. Rather, for whatever reason(s) the Apple marketing photos don’t match the final product. I’m guessing the images of the bands on the Apple Store are just renders? And for the record, the band on the right looks higher quality to me. But perhaps in person that’s not the case.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
frankly speaking, there is a big difference left one uses 2 colors velcro is a noticeable sign. Apple will not allow this return to go. If indeed you returned wrong.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I just spent more time than I care to admit examining this pic versus official Apple ones, and I can’t tell you which is genuine because *neither* appear to be. That’s not an opinion—there are several notable differences between these and the photos Apple uses. And to be clear, I’m not saying they’re both fake. Rather, for whatever reason(s) the Apple marketing photos don’t match the final product. I’m guessing the images of the bands on the Apple Store are just renders? And for the record, the band on the right looks higher quality to me. But perhaps in person that’s not the case.
Yeah all "photos" on Apple's website are renders. It's actually impossible to get some of the shots they do with real cameras.

I'd say easiest way to tell the real from fake in these pictures is the velcro. Fake one uses cheap velcro with a sloppy cut, where the real one uses quality velcro that's smaller and a tighter density, and has the border of plain plastic around the velcro on the ends to frame it. So much detail on the side of the band you'll never even look at.

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 1.38.33 PM.png

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Yeah all "photos" on Apple's website are renders. It's actually impossible to get some of the shots they do with real cameras.

I'd say easiest way to tell the real from fake in these pictures is the velcro. Fake one uses cheap velcro with a sloppy cut, where the real one uses quality velcro that's smaller and a tighter density, and has the border of plain plastic around the velcro on the ends to frame it. So much detail on the side of the band you'll never even look at.

View attachment 2124956
Also this is a black/gray trail loop, not blue/gray

Reactions: mikedop
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.