Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
My Grandfather: If you buy a diamond ring for ten cents then it's probably not worth a dime.
You get what you pay for. Always true.

I expect I will get both types - authentic (Black Pride, maybe Nike sport) and third party (similar to Nike sport band to see if I like that style before paying $50).

However, I have no expectation that the third party will be as good as Apple/Nike in the long run.

zinterz

macrumors member
May 11, 2015
Drayton Bassett, UK
Could I get some of your thoughts on the authenticity of this strap, and the others the seller is selling please? This one is in its packaging which looks legit to me, but it would be good to get other opinions to be sure. I’m after this colour as it’s a discontinued one and I really like it. Thanks! Link to eBay auction.

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Could I get some of your thoughts on the authenticity of this strap, and the others the seller is selling please? This one is in its packaging which looks legit to me, but it would be good to get other opinions to be sure. I’m after this colour as it’s a discontinued one and I really like it. Thanks! Link to eBay auction.
Seller seems legit, all the box-less bands look good and Peacock you’re after appears to be sealed/authentic. I don’t want to live in a world where some third party is making fake boxes with the green seal tape haha.

luapre

macrumors member
May 29, 2021
Any ideas on whether or not this UK Ebay shop is legit? Interested in the sport loops in particular, thankful for any inputs! (Link to eBay seller)

Also, any input for this listing of a Milanese band (Listing) would be appreciated!!

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Any ideas on whether or not this UK Ebay shop is legit? Interested in the sport loops in particular, thankful for any inputs! (Link to eBay seller)

Also, any input for this listing of a Milanese band (Listing) would be appreciated!!
Just based on their join date and profile reputation and eBay’s money back guarantee, looks great. I generally trust wholesalers without actual pics of the items, but they even have that.

Reactions: luapre

Sam94

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Could this be genuine? There is no 38/42 mark on the short band with the clasp

Attachments

• 5F7EDC31-4014-4DED-9E05-31E30F9756F8.jpeg
    5F7EDC31-4014-4DED-9E05-31E30F9756F8.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 125
  • E735DB3A-431C-4ED7-8E85-9F0CCB3FFB1F.jpeg
    E735DB3A-431C-4ED7-8E85-9F0CCB3FFB1F.jpeg
    628.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 3EC3ECFE-0516-4E1D-BA50-8C7BD0C52346.jpeg
    3EC3ECFE-0516-4E1D-BA50-8C7BD0C52346.jpeg
    665.2 KB · Views: 135

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Could this be genuine? There is no 38/42 mark on the short band with the clasp
Ah I was wondering why that post was in the discount thread! It’s fake, though one of the better ones I have seen. The buckle attaching through the leather is the biggest giveaway. On the genuine band, you can see the complete oval of the clasp because the spring bar that connects it to the leather is cleverly hidden inside the clasp.

Reactions: geekiemac

Sam94

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Ah I was wondering why that post was in the discount thread! It’s fake, though one of the better ones I have seen. The buckle attaching through the leather is the biggest giveaway. On the genuine band, you can see the complete oval of the clasp because the spring bar that connects it to the leather is cleverly hidden inside the clasp.
Thanks! I’ll pass on this one then :)

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I dont think anyone would be fooled by this but a good reminder that people like to employ real boxes in the sale of fugazi items:
View attachment 1949439
As a corollary to this, always check bands bought Open Box from legitimate retailers like Best Buy and Amazon carefully. Scammers will buy a new band, swap it out with a fake and return the fake in the genuine box back to the retailer. The average Best Buy employee doesn’t have a clue how to tell a fake from a genuine band and accepts the return. The fake band is then unwittingly resold as an Open Box item.

Not super common but definitely does happen.

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
As a corollary to this, always check bands bought Open Box from legitimate retailers like Best Buy and Amazon carefully. Scammers will buy a new band, swap it out with a fake and return the fake in the genuine box back to the retailer. The average Best Buy employee doesn’t have a clue how to tell a fake from a genuine band and accepts the return. The fake band is then unwittingly resold as an Open Box item.

Not super common but definitely does happen.
I think this one was from Best Buy, he had a bunch of others that were fine.

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
For fun - SPOT THE FAKE

17 total
=====
a = authentic
f = fake
1643847291016.png

SBML is prob fake but it looks fine. SSML might just be a weird photo. Nikes look fine but the colors are weird, and they wouldn’t be dumping a Celestial like this, right?

Almost got fooled not looking closely at one! That dark sport band’s buttons could go either way. No wait, change my vote to fake on that one.

Also I mean fakes with colored buttons do exist, right?

Reactions: brecode and mikedop

brecode

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
Good eye :) First six on first row authentic. The rest are fakes.

Bought the fakes for a total of 30$ in 3 batches (#1 all the sport loops - including the new nikes which are all really good knockoffs, although black has no vibrant greys while white is fantastic #2 the two MLs black looks identical to the genuine, silver not so much indeed and #3 nike sport which I think are the worst as colors are a bit off and not heavy enough)

I didn't mind spending the extra $$ as I wanted to see which ones I really liked before I start spending on the genuines which are definitely going to be -> SBML, Desert Sand and Celestial Teal, Flash, Tornado and the White Swoosh

Reactions: twanj

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Good eye :) First six on first row authentic. The rest are fakes.

Bought the fakes for a total of 30$ in 3 batches (#1 all the sport loops - including the new nikes which are all really good knockoffs, although black has no vibrant greys while white is fantastic #2 the two MLs black looks identical to the genuine, silver not so much indeed and #3 nike sport which I think are the worst as colors are a bit off and not heavy enough)

I didn't mind spending the extra $$ as I wanted to see which ones I really liked before I start spending on the genuines which are definitely going to be -> SBML, Desert Sand and Celestial Teal, Flash, Tornado and the White Swoosh
Wow they got the terminator nice and round on Summit 2. I’d love to see it next to the real thing, compare the swoosh and the density of the weave.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Mods - move to another thread if needed.

If a band is described as lightly used (almost new), but it arrives and can tell the difference between the color shade of which strap was used if not seen the tell-tale sheen on the strap with the pin....

I see some ads saying Magic Eraser not *used* as well. Riddle me on the bands listed as *like new* but it's more a attempt to make a look like new...

For those that don't know, ME is abrasive, even though it may be appear to be. Once can call it a micro-abrasive...

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Mods - move to another thread if needed.

If a band is described as lightly used (almost new), but it arrives and can tell the difference between the color shade of which strap was used if not seen the tell-tale sheen on the strap with the pin....

I see some ads saying Magic Eraser not *used* as well. Riddle me on the bands listed as *like new* but it's more a attempt to make a look like new...

For those that don't know, ME is abrasive, even though it may be appear to be. Once can call it a micro-abrasive...
There’s legitimate dishonest sellers and then a slightly more forgivable discrepancy where we have to accept people don’t have our eagle eyes for pin shine etc.

And yeah I would never use anything beyond dish soap. I’d rather have blemishes than compromising overall color.

Reactions: geekiemac

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
🤦‍♂️ Did not read the fine print and =assumed= it was like me previous orders from chargerstore...

Band appears new and genuine. Both SML straps included. Threw me for a curveball that is was just in a baggie...
Upon checking the listing, it clearly states no box.

I'm always a bit weary when ordering these things overseas....and knock offs. No clue where he is getting the colors or qty and stock replenishes. Mine had qty 1 left. When I bought it....he updated the same listing and added a qty of 1 left. I suppose to make it feel like it's a Hard to Find band...

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Does this seems authentic to you? Looking for a saddle brown leather loop, but price and the fact that is available seems too good to be true

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Does this seems authentic to you? Looking for a saddle brown leather loop, but price and the fact that is available seems too good to be true

Nah very normal prices for Leather Loops/Links. I trust all these wholesalers with massive feedback records. And as ever, eBay will refund your money every time.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Nah very normal prices for Leather Loops/Links. I trust all these wholesalers with massive feedback records. And as ever, eBay will refund your money every time.
Thanks, just ordered a Saddle Brown. Yeah, the feedback was promising, but it is my first time buying a band or loop from a third party, wanted to check with those more knowledgeable here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.