Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Yes, picture #3 and #5 shows the sizing and apple/nike+ marking. On the side of the 44mm marking of the loop the connector does have some characters - too difficult to see.
Oops! Neglected to actually click on the thumbnails and look at the full pictures. That’s a genuine band. Most likely the “Assembled in China“ marking is just not visible in that picture (the lighting is not great and the lug is so close to the camera that it is actually out of focus).

bigbucksnowhammies

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
Southern California
All listings I have come across have shown the "assembled in China" mark clearly. All bands have the marking in a contrasting color. There is no mark on the band. That is what prompted me to ask my question and seek opinions on it. I do believe that it is a genuine band, but it is just odd that the marking was not printed on it. Maybe, the markings were dissolved by cleaning the band with an abrasive cleaning agent. Possible?

Thank you to all for taking the time in reviewing the pictures and voicing their opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacDevil7334

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I’m still fairly certain there’s no widespread fake sport loops (multiple colors) with the 40/44mm marking, is this correct?
That is my belief as well. Honestly, the one @kryptticAZ posted a few months back is the only example I have seen of a fake loop with a size marking. They are definitely much more the exception than the rule.

All listings I have come across have shown the "assembled in China" mark clearly. All bands have the marking in a contrasting color. There is no mark on the band. That is what prompted me to ask my question and seek opinions on it. I do believe that is a genuine band, but it is just odd that the marking was not printed on it. Maybe, the markings were dissolved by cleaning the band with an abrasive cleaning agent. Possible?

Thank you to all for taking the time in reviewing the pictures and voicing their opinion.
Yeah it is definitely possible that the marking was removed through improper cleaning. It’s only stamped on, not laser engraved or anything.

Last edited:

MrJandali

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2013
Hi there. Could anyone here talk about the color difference? What about the color brillance, intensity etc... are same colors by name really identical? I can just say that I had a white Apple and fake at the same time. The fake white was brighter. No I got some fake ones but I´m not quiet sure about the color quality. Thank you.

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Hi there. Could anyone here talk about the color difference? What about the color brillance, intensity etc... are same colors by name really identical? I can just say that I had a white Apple and fake at the same time. The fake white was brighter. No I got some fake ones but I´m not quiet sure about the color quality. Thank you.
Apple has done so many colors (in certain hues) and quite a few whites, so I don’t think color is something to go by. Especially if you have a white OEM band of your own that has some mileage on it. Even if you take good care of it, I would bet just light exposure tints the bands slightly.

To wit:
2D9104B4-F251-4435-AA8C-AD742236B4B5.jpeg

MrJandali

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2013
Sure, sure. But it was a new one. I don´t want to say that brighter is better. The fake one was brighter but the brightness did not seem to be something better qualitywise. Maybe even not so good, I liked the Apple White better. I assume that the fake colors are less intensive generally but it is just an assumption. If that´s true, I´d prefer the Apple ones.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Question regarding terminology here in this group, and what's considered a "fake" band. I am an authenticator for Coach bags, so I'm very familiar with the whole counterfeit market and the nasty things involved. When people refer to fake bands here, are they talking about the $5.99 bands you can get on Amazon that look and feel a lot like Apple sport bands, but don't claim in any way to be made by Apple? Or are we only talking about bands that are NOT made by Apple but the seller claims they are, or have markings and other things on them to make them look like they are? I consider the Amazon type bands to be "third party", but not fakes, but it seems that some might consider them fakes or knock offs. Interested to see what others think.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Question regarding terminology here in this group, and what's considered a "fake" band. I am an authenticator for Coach bags, so I'm very familiar with the whole counterfeit market and the nasty things involved. When people refer to fake bands here, are they talking about the $5.99 bands you can get on Amazon that look and feel a lot like Apple sport bands, but don't claim in any way to be made by Apple? Or are we only talking about bands that are NOT made by Apple but the seller claims they are, or have markings and other things on them to make them look like they are? I consider the Amazon type bands to be "third party", but not fakes, but it seems that some might consider them fakes or knock offs. Interested to see what others think.
Yes when we say “fake” in the first post, we are referring to bands sold on places like eBay and Mercari that are advertised as OEM Apple but are not. Bands sold places like Amazon are pretty clearly labeled as what they are and I don’t think most buyers are confused there. But there have been a few instances in the last few months of fake bands with marking to make them appear genuine popping up on Mercari, which is what prompted the creation of this thread.

ryuworks

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Singapore
Though really, the design of the Apple Sport Band is largely from Marc Newson (who was employed by Apple during the Watch's creation), and with many third party sport bands cloning the design and then proceeding to use the exact same color names as the Apple bands I don't consider them to be anything other than "fake". A random leather band with Apple watch lugs is definitely third party, a third party "Sport Band" is more counterfeit than "third party".

Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Question regarding terminology here in this group, and what's considered a "fake" band. I am an authenticator for Coach bags, so I'm very familiar with the whole counterfeit market and the nasty things involved.
"How to detect fake versus genuine authentic OEM Apple bands"

Fake would be something labelled as an Apple band but is not made by Apple. (It's counterfeit).

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
"How to detect fake versus genuine authentic OEM Apple bands"

Fake would be something labelled as an Apple band but is not made by Apple. (It's counterfeit).
Yes, that would be my assumption as well, but it seemed some were referring to bands I'd consider "third party" as "fakes", and I wanted to see if that was the general consensus here or not.

ryuworks

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Singapore
Yes, that would be my assumption as well, but it seemed some were referring to bands I'd consider "third party" as "fakes", and I wanted to see if that was the general consensus here or not.
That’s also likely because those “third party” bands are usually the exact ones used to fool people who don’t know any better by the scammers.

Reactions: SisterBlue22

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
The original Apple white band was brilliant white, and it was softened after fall 2018. Perhaps the fake was emulating the original Apple one? I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure all the brilliant white Apple bands would be sized 38 or 42mm and the softer white from Fall 2018 would be sized 40 / 44mm.

Reactions: athousandbands

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Only the space black link bracelet has polished sides FWIW.

rwintheiser

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2003
There is a "Stainless steel" engraving on the lug that moves freely.

Applicable for sizes 42/44mm. For sizes 38/40mm on the edge of the S/M strap.
I just purchased a Milanese loop, the seller assured me it is original. It has the 44mm and Stainless steel stamped on it but I cannot find 'Made in China' anywhere. Also the magnet end does pass through the lug. Were there ever loops that were made without the 'made in china'?

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
I just purchased a Milanese loop, the seller assured me it is original. It has the 44mm and Stainless steel stamped on it but I cannot find 'Made in China' anywhere. Also the magnet end does pass through the lug. Were there ever loops that were made without the 'made in china'?
All my Milanese, including my gold s4 which passes through for AirPower (lol), have “Assembled in China” lasered on the lug with the hole in it. Quick iPad pic:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: twanj

Jim barlow

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
This thread contains guidelines and pictures for helping people determine if a band is a genuine OEM Apple band or a fake. Early on in the run of the Apple Watch, it was really easy to tell these two apart. However, better fakes have been popping up in recent years, making it harder to spot them. This guide is organized by band type and also has a few tips for spotting eBay/Mercari listings that try to pass off a fake band as genuine.

General Buying Advice for eBay/Mercari/etc.
While buying directly from Apple or reputable resellers like Best Buy and Amazon are obviously the best way to ensure you get a genuine band, you can find genuine bands at a huge discount on sites like eBay if you are patient. Unfortunately, these sites are rife with scammers trying to pass off cheap fakes as genuine bands. While you should check the sections below to evaluate the band itself, here are a few guidelines for evaluating the listing.

Signs the listing is for a Genuine Apple BandSigns the listing is for a Fake Band
  • The seller posts pictures of the actual band being sold from multiple angles that clearly show all the markings.
    • If the band is new, the seller posts pictures of the actual box, both front and back.
  • Seller writes a real description of the band and its condition rather than using the generic pre-populated eBay wording.
  • Seller responds to questions when asked and is not evasive.
  • Seller has established feedback and seems to be a real person or someone who consistently resells genuine Apple items.
  • The seller only uses Apple’s marketing pictures in the listing and refuses to post real pictures if asked.
    • NOTE: Stock images in the listing is not a big deal on its own. But, the seller refusing to post real images after being asked is a big red flag.
  • Seller does not include a description, the description is just the generic eBay language, or the description is deceptively worded to try and confuse the reader.
  • The listing contains the words “replacement band”.
  • Seller does not respond to questions or responds by restating information in the listing rather than answering the question asked.
  • Seller has little or no feedback, or the feedback is very recent and all from a single user.

Sport Band
Sport Bands are the most commonly faked bands because they are so popular. Luckily, they are also the easiest to tell apart from the genuine bands because the fakes are often made of a completely different material.

Signs the band is Genuine AppleSigns the band is a Fake
  • The color of the connectors (the 3 indenting parts that click into the watch on the lugs) matches the color of the band itself. This is the quickest way to spot a fake.
  • The underside of the strap with the pin is marked with the watch case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) in a circle near the lugs.
  • The underside of the straps with the holes are marked "S/M" or "M/L" in a circle.
  • The words “Assembled in China” are marked on the edge of the M/L strap for 42/44mm bands and on the edge of the S/M strap for 38/40mm bands.
  • Made of fluoroelastomer and have a different feel from non-OEM silicone bands.
  • There is no Apple logo anywhere on the band
  • Some newer ones have serial numbers inscribed in one of the connectors (see thread), but the oldest ones (2015-early 2016) don't.
  • The connectors are black instead of matching the color of the band.
  • The middle connector is made of metal instead of plastic.
  • The band is made of silicone (will feel different and collect lint) instead of fluoroelastomer.
  • There are no markings for case size or band size (i.e. S/M or M/L).
  • No markings for "Assembled in China" and no S/N in one of the pins.
    • NOTE: If your band does not have a serial number but has all the other signs of a genuine band, it is probably genuine.

Nike Sport Band
Nike Sport Bands get their own section because, while they share mostly the same characteristics as the regular sport bands, there are a few key differences to be aware of when trying to figure out if a band is genuine.

• The color of the connectors (the 3 indenting parts that click into the watch on the lugs) is black, with only a few exceptions. This means you can't use the connector color to spot fakes for Nike bands.
  • The underside of the strap with the pin is marked with ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding.
    • Older bands will have a "+" after the Nike Swoosh
    • The color of this marking often does not match the colors of the band.
  • The edge of the lug on the strap with the pin is marked with the watch case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) with no circle.
  • The underside of the straps with the holes are marked "S/M" or "M/L" in a circle.
  • The words “Assembled in China” are marked on the edge of the M/L strap for 42/44mm bands and on the edge of the S/M strap for 38/40mm bands.
  • Made of fluoroelastomer and have a different feel from non-OEM silicone bands.
  • Some newer ones have serial numbers inscribed in one of the connectors (see thread), but the oldest ones don't.
  • The band is made of silicone (will feel different and collect lint) instead of fluoroelastomer.
  • There is no ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding.
    • NOTE: If your band does not have a serial number but has all the other signs of a genuine band, it is probably genuine.
  • The band is in a funky color scheme that was never actually released.

Sport Loop
Sport Loops are among the easiest to fake. The genuine Apple bands do not have many identifying marks and the nylon weaves are easy to reproduce. Still, it is possible spot a fake if you look carefully.

• The color of the connectors (the 3 indenting parts that click into the watch on the lugs) is black, with a few exceptions.
  • The velcro patches are aligned, evenly spaced, and run most of the width of the band.
  • The loop where the band folds over is just wide enough to allow the band to pass through. There is not a lot of extra room to allow the band to wiggle left and right.
  • The underside of the strap on the end of the loop opposite of the velcro is marked with the watch case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) in a circle near the lugs.
    • WARNING: Newer fakes also have this marking. Look for other signs before deciding your band is genuine.
  • The words “Assembled in China” are marked on the edge of the lug opposite the velcro.
  • Some newer ones have serial numbers inscribed in one of the connectors (see thread), but the oldest ones don't.
  • The velcro patches are sloppy (unevenly spaced), off center, and/or smaller.
  • The loop where the band folds over is too big and the band has room to wiggle. Also the plastic of the loop might be really thin.
  • There are no markings for case size (though some fakes have them).

Nike Sport Loop
Nike Sport Loops have a few extra identifiers that make it easier to tell them apart from the knockoff bands.

• The color of the connectors (the 3 indenting parts that click into the watch on the lugs) is black, with a few exceptions.
  • All bands made from Spring 2019 on have reflective threads that are clearly visible in sunlight or under bright directional lighting (like a flashlight). A few of the 2018 bands also have reflective threads.
  • The velcro patches are aligned, evenly spaced, and run most of the width of the band.
  • The band is marked with ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding right below the velcro patches.
  • The loop where the band folds over is just wide enough to allow the band to pass through. There is not a lot of extra room to allow the band to wiggle left and right.
  • The underside of the strap on the end of the loop opposite of the velcro is marked with the watch case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) in a circle near the lugs.
    • WARNING: Newer fakes also have this marking. Look for other signs before deciding your band is genuine.
  • The words “Assembled in China” are marked on the edge of the lug opposite the velcro.
  • There are no reflective threads on a band that should have them.
  • No ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding below the velcro patches.
  • The loop where the band folds over is too big and the band has room to wiggle. Also the plastic of the loop might be really thin.

Woven Nylon
The Woven Nylon line was discontinued back in late 2018. However, they were heavily copied and there are still plenty floating around on eBay.

• The side of the band with the holes has "WOVEN NYLON" stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • The side of the band with the buckle has the watch case size (either 38 or 42mm) stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • Lugs are color-matched plastic.
  • Clasp is stainless steel (or black SS) and matches the buckle of the 1st-3rd gen classic buckles.
  • Band is glued into the lugs and into the buckle. No stitching is visible at either end.
  • Some woven bands have serial numbers inscribed in one of the connectors (see thread).
  • Markings are missing.
  • Band is attached via bar-style lugs similar to those found on the Modern and Classic buckle lines.
  • Different clasp style and/or the clasp is sewn rather than glued on
  • Band material feels rough to the touch

Solo Loop
Solo loops are a new addition to Apple's lineup and there has not been much time for fakes to be made yet. They are also made of silicone, which makes them harder to tell apart from the fakes.

• 40mm or 44mm is stamped on the lug edge.
  • Band Size (1-12) in is stamped a circle on the end of the lug.
  • Stretchy. Made of silicone and feel different from Sport Bands which are made of fluoroelastomer.
  • Only available in a few sizes (e.g. S, M, L) rather than the numbered sizes used by Apple.

Braided Solo Loop
The Braided Solo Loops are another new addition. The woven yarn weave is easily reproduced, which makes them harder to tell apart from the fakes.

• 40mm or 44mm on the lug edge.
  • Band Size (1-12) in a circle on the end of the lug.
  • The weave pattern looks different from the Apple band.
  • Only available in a few sizes (e.g. S, M, L) rather than the numbered sizes used by Apple.

Leather Loops
Leather Loops have been around since the beginning and are very popular. The band seems to be challenging to make, which means there aren't a ton of fakes out there. Genuine Leather Loops only fit the 42/44

• The long piece of the band has the following markings stamped on the underside near the lug:
    • The band size (either M or L) inscribed in a circle.
    • The words “NATURAL LEATHER” and the leather symbol below the band size marking
  • The short piece of the band has the watch case size (either 42 or 44mm) stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • The words "Assembled in China" are stamped on the edge of the metal connector on the long piece of the band.
  • The official Leather Loop is only available in 42/44mm sizes.
  • Leather feels soft.
  • Markings are not present.
  • The leather feels stiff or cheap.
  • Sized to fit a 38/40mm watch

Leather Modern Buckle
Like the Leather Loop, the leather Modern Buckle is one of the oldest bands in Apple's lineup. The design is not as complicated, which makes it easier to fake.

• The adjustable piece of the band with the bottom portion of the clasp has the following markings stamped on the underside near the lug:
    • The band size (either S, M or L) inscribed in a circle.
    • The words “NATURAL LEATHER” and the leather symbol below the band size marking
  • The piece of the band with the top portion of the buckle has the watch case size (either 38 or 40mm) stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • The words "Assembled in China" are stamped on the edge of one of the lugs.
  • The inside of the top portion of the clasp is engraved with the words “316L STAINLESS STEEL”.
  • The clasp is attached to the leather using pentalobe screws.
  • The official Modern Buckle is only available in 38/40mm sizes.
  • Leather feels soft.
  • Designed to fit a 42/44mm watch

Leather Link
Another new addition, most people don't have these in hand yet. Details coming soon.

Signs the band is Genuine AppleSigns the Band is a Fake
  • Band has dyed leather on the outside and tan leather on the underside.
  • Has a case size (40 or 44mm) marking stamped on the underside of one piece of the band.
  • Has "Natural Leather" and the leather symbol on the underside of the other piece.
  • Band is only a single color on both the outside and underside.
  • Markings are missing from the underside of the band.

Leather Classic Buckle
This style was discontinued in late 2018, likely to remove competition with the Hermes leather bands. However, there are still quite a few in circulation on eBay and other platforms. Also, the Classic Buckle went through 4 different designs, making spotting fakes harder.
  • Identifying which band generation you have:
    • Gen 1: Band is a single color on both front and back and there is no stitching. Oval shaped buckle is attached to the band with a spring bar that is hidden inside the clasp itself. The end of the piece with the holes is squared off. Markings are stamped on rather than embossed. Only ever available in Black (and Midnight Blue with Edition watches).
    • Gen 2: Band has colored leather on the outside and tan leather on the underside. The band has a filleted line that runs parallel to the edge of the band but there is no stitching. Oval shaped buckle is attached to the band with a spring bar that is hidden inside the clasp itself. The end of the piece with the holes is rounded. Markings are embossed rather than stamped. Only ever sold in Black and Saddle Brown.
    • Gen 3: Exactly the same as Gen 2 except color-matched stitching has been added running around the edge of the band. Available in multiple colors that changed seasonally.
    • Gen 4: Band styling is the same as Gen 3. However, the oval clasp has been replaced by a larger square clasp. The new clasp features a spring action.
  • The long piece of the band with the adjustment holes has the words “NATURAL LEATHER” and the leather symbol on the underside near the lug.
    • On gen 1 bands, this marking is stamped on in white.
    • On gen 2-4, the marking is embossed into the leather
  • The short piece of the band with the clasp has the watch case size (either 42 or 44mm) stamped (gen 1) or embossed (gen 2-4) on the underside near the lug.
  • Leather is soft.
  • The buckle style is one of the biggest giveaways. Fake bands will usually use a buckle that looks like it came from a mechanical watch. Very few will try to match the buckle on the genuine band.
  • Band lacks the size and leather markings.
  • Looks like a 2nd-4th gen band but is missing the stitching or the leather is the same color on both the outside and underside.

Milanese Loop
One of the most popular styles of band for the Apple Watch, the Milanese Loop is also routinely copied. Pay close attention if buying one second hand.

• The case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) is engraved on the underside of the non-loop lug.
  • "Stainless Steel" is engraved on the underside of the loop that the band passes through.
  • "Assembled in China" is stamped on the edge of the lug opposite the case marking.
  • The edge of the magnetic clasp has a small indentation for your fingernail to make the band easier to take off.
  • On most genuine Milanese Loops, the magnetic clasp cannot be pulled through the loop lug.
    • However, there was a period in 2018-2019 where the Milanese Loop was made so that the magnet could be pulled through the loop and the band would come apart so the watch could be used with AirPower.
  • Engraved/stamped markings are not present.
  • The magnetic clasp can be pulled through the looped lug.
    • Again, this is not a sure sign the band is a fake. It may just be from the 2018-2019 run.
  • The coating wears off easily if it is a black or gold band.
  • The band is offered in funky colors like bright blue, red, or even metallic rainbow.

Link Bracelet
There are quite a few knockoff link bracelets floating around out there because Apple's version is so, so expensive. It is pretty easy to spot the fakes though.

• The links are removed with buttons on the inside of the band. No tools are needed.
    • NOTE: Some third party link bracelets use this button mechanism. Look for other markings as well before deciding your band is genuine.
  • The face of the links is brushed. The sides of the links are polished like the stainless steel watches.
  • "316L Stainless Steel" is engraved on the inside of the clasp.
  • 38mm or 42mm is engraved in a circle on the inside of the clasp.
  • "Assembled in China" is stamped on one lug edge.
  • Newer link bracelets have a serial number in the lug but older ones do not.
  • Only offered in Silver and Space Black
  • Links must be removed with a tool.
  • The sides of the links are matte/brushed rather than polished.
  • No markings on the band.
  • Offered in other colors like gold.

Please reply and I'll update this or edit the wiki yourself. :)
I recently purchased a used space black link bracelet that does not have the “316 L stainless steel” engraved under the clasp. But it does have the “Assembled in China” engraved on the lug edge. I asked the seller about the authenticity of the band and she told me her husband was an Apple employee and received this band as a gift from his work mates years ago. Have you ever encountered or heard of a link bracelet such as this?

Jim barlow

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
This thread contains guidelines and pictures for helping people determine if a band is a genuine OEM Apple band or a fake. Early on in the run of the Apple Watch, it was really easy to tell these two apart. However, better fakes have been popping up in recent years, making it harder to spot them. This guide is organized by band type and also has a few tips for spotting eBay/Mercari listings that try to pass off a fake band as genuine.

General Buying Advice for eBay/Mercari/etc.
While buying directly from Apple or reputable resellers like Best Buy and Amazon are obviously the best way to ensure you get a genuine band, you can find genuine bands at a huge discount on sites like eBay if you are patient. Unfortunately, these sites are rife with scammers trying to pass off cheap fakes as genuine bands. While you should check the sections below to evaluate the band itself, here are a few guidelines for evaluating the listing.

Signs the listing is for a Genuine Apple BandSigns the listing is for a Fake Band
  • The seller posts pictures of the actual band being sold from multiple angles that clearly show all the markings.
    • If the band is new, the seller posts pictures of the actual box, both front and back.
  • Seller writes a real description of the band and its condition rather than using the generic pre-populated eBay wording.
  • Seller responds to questions when asked and is not evasive.
  • Seller has established feedback and seems to be a real person or someone who consistently resells genuine Apple items.
  • The seller only uses Apple’s marketing pictures in the listing and refuses to post real pictures if asked.
    • NOTE: Stock images in the listing is not a big deal on its own. But, the seller refusing to post real images after being asked is a big red flag.
  • Seller does not include a description, the description is just the generic eBay language, or the description is deceptively worded to try and confuse the reader.
  • The listing contains the words “replacement band”.
  • Seller does not respond to questions or responds by restating information in the listing rather than answering the question asked.
  • Seller has little or no feedback, or the feedback is very recent and all from a single user.

Sport Band
Sport Bands are the most commonly faked bands because they are so popular. Luckily, they are also the easiest to tell apart from the genuine bands because the fakes are often made of a completely different material.

• The color of the connectors (the 3 indenting parts that click into the watch on the lugs) matches the color of the band itself. This is the quickest way to spot a fake.
  • The underside of the strap with the pin is marked with the watch case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) in a circle near the lugs.
  • Some newer ones have serial numbers inscribed in one of the connectors (see thread), but the oldest ones (2015-early 2016) don't.
  • The connectors are black instead of matching the color of the band.

Nike Sport Band
Nike Sport Bands get their own section because, while they share mostly the same characteristics as the regular sport bands, there are a few key differences to be aware of when trying to figure out if a band is genuine.

• The color of the connectors (the 3 indenting parts that click into the watch on the lugs) is black, with only a few exceptions. This means you can't use the connector color to spot fakes for Nike bands.
  • The underside of the strap with the pin is marked with ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding.
  • The edge of the lug on the strap with the pin is marked with the watch case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) with no circle.
  • There is no ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding.
  • The band is in a funky color scheme that was never actually released.

Sport Loop
Sport Loops are among the easiest to fake. The genuine Apple bands do not have many identifying marks and the nylon weaves are easy to reproduce. Still, it is possible spot a fake if you look carefully.

Nike Sport Loop
Nike Sport Loops have a few extra identifiers that make it easier to tell them apart from the knockoff bands.

• All bands made from Spring 2019 on have reflective threads that are clearly visible in sunlight or under bright directional lighting (like a flashlight). A few of the 2018 bands also have reflective threads.
  • The band is marked with ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding right below the velcro patches.
  • There are no reflective threads on a band that should have them.
  • No ":apple:WATCH|Nike Swoosh" branding below the velcro patches.

Woven Nylon
The Woven Nylon line was discontinued back in late 2018. However, they were heavily copied and there are still plenty floating around on eBay.

• The side of the band with the holes has "WOVEN NYLON" stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • The side of the band with the buckle has the watch case size (either 38 or 42mm) stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • Lugs are color-matched plastic.
  • Clasp is stainless steel (or black SS) and matches the buckle of the 1st-3rd gen classic buckles.
  • Band is glued into the lugs and into the buckle. No stitching is visible at either end.
  • Some woven bands have serial numbers inscribed in one of the connectors (see thread).
  • Markings are missing.
  • Band is attached via bar-style lugs similar to those found on the Modern and Classic buckle lines.
  • Different clasp style and/or the clasp is sewn rather than glued on
  • Band material feels rough to the touch

Solo Loop
Solo loops are a new addition to Apple's lineup and there has not been much time for fakes to be made yet. They are also made of silicone, which makes them harder to tell apart from the fakes.

• 40mm or 44mm is stamped on the lug edge.
  • Band Size (1-12) in is stamped a circle on the end of the lug.
  • Stretchy. Made of silicone and feel different from Sport Bands which are made of fluoroelastomer.

Braided Solo Loop
The Braided Solo Loops are another new addition. The woven yarn weave is easily reproduced, which makes them harder to tell apart from the fakes.

• 40mm or 44mm on the lug edge.
  • Band Size (1-12) in a circle on the end of the lug.
  • The weave pattern looks different from the Apple band.

Leather Loops
Leather Loops have been around since the beginning and are very popular. The band seems to be challenging to make, which means there aren't a ton of fakes out there. Genuine Leather Loops only fit the 42/44

• The long piece of the band has the following markings stamped on the underside near the lug:
    • The band size (either M or L) inscribed in a circle.
  • The short piece of the band has the watch case size (either 42 or 44mm) stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • The words "Assembled in China" are stamped on the edge of the metal connector on the long piece of the band.
  • The official Leather Loop is only available in 42/44mm sizes.
  • Leather feels soft.
  • Sized to fit a 38/40mm watch

Leather Modern Buckle
Like the Leather Loop, the leather Modern Buckle is one of the oldest bands in Apple's lineup. The design is not as complicated, which makes it easier to fake.

• The adjustable piece of the band with the bottom portion of the clasp has the following markings stamped on the underside near the lug:
    • The band size (either S, M or L) inscribed in a circle.
  • The piece of the band with the top portion of the buckle has the watch case size (either 38 or 40mm) stamped on the underside near the lug.
  • The inside of the top portion of the clasp is engraved with the words “316L STAINLESS STEEL”.
  • The clasp is attached to the leather using pentalobe screws.
  • The official Modern Buckle is only available in 38/40mm sizes.
  • Leather feels soft.
  • Designed to fit a 42/44mm watch

Leather Link
Another new addition, most people don't have these in hand yet. Details coming soon.

Signs the band is Genuine AppleSigns the Band is a Fake
  • Band has dyed leather on the outside and tan leather on the underside.
  • Has a case size (40 or 44mm) marking stamped on the underside of one piece of the band.
  • Has "Natural Leather" and the leather symbol on the underside of the other piece.
  • Band is only a single color on both the outside and underside.
  • Markings are missing from the underside of the band.

Leather Classic Buckle
This style was discontinued in late 2018, likely to remove competition with the Hermes leather bands. However, there are still quite a few in circulation on eBay and other platforms. Also, the Classic Buckle went through 4 different designs, making spotting fakes harder.
  • Identifying which band generation you have:
    • Gen 1: Band is a single color on both front and back and there is no stitching. Oval shaped buckle is attached to the band with a spring bar that is hidden inside the clasp itself. The end of the piece with the holes is squared off. Markings are stamped on rather than embossed. Only ever available in Black (and Midnight Blue with Edition watches).
    • Gen 2: Band has colored leather on the outside and tan leather on the underside. The band has a filleted line that runs parallel to the edge of the band but there is no stitching. Oval shaped buckle is attached to the band with a spring bar that is hidden inside the clasp itself. The end of the piece with the holes is rounded. Markings are embossed rather than stamped. Only ever sold in Black and Saddle Brown.
    • Gen 3: Exactly the same as Gen 2 except color-matched stitching has been added running around the edge of the band. Available in multiple colors that changed seasonally.
    • Gen 4: Band styling is the same as Gen 3. However, the oval clasp has been replaced by a larger square clasp. The new clasp features a spring action.
  • The long piece of the band with the adjustment holes has the words “NATURAL LEATHER” and the leather symbol on the underside near the lug.
    • On gen 1 bands, this marking is stamped on in white.
    • On gen 2-4, the marking is embossed into the leather
  • The short piece of the band with the clasp has the watch case size (either 42 or 44mm) stamped (gen 1) or embossed (gen 2-4) on the underside near the lug.
  • Leather is soft.
  • The buckle style is one of the biggest giveaways. Fake bands will usually use a buckle that looks like it came from a mechanical watch. Very few will try to match the buckle on the genuine band.
  • Band lacks the size and leather markings.
  • Looks like a 2nd-4th gen band but is missing the stitching or the leather is the same color on both the outside and underside.

Milanese Loop
One of the most popular styles of band for the Apple Watch, the Milanese Loop is also routinely copied. Pay close attention if buying one second hand.

• The case size (38/40mm or 42/44mm) is engraved on the underside of the non-loop lug.
  • "Stainless Steel" is engraved on the underside of the loop that the band passes through.
  • "Assembled in China" is stamped on the edge of the lug opposite the case marking.
  • The edge of the magnetic clasp has a small indentation for your fingernail to make the band easier to take off.
  • On most genuine Milanese Loops, the magnetic clasp cannot be pulled through the loop lug.
    • However, there was a period in 2018-2019 where the Milanese Loop was made so that the magnet could be pulled through the loop and the band would come apart so the watch could be used with AirPower.
  • Engraved/stamped markings are not present.
  • The magnetic clasp can be pulled through the looped lug.
    • Again, this is not a sure sign the band is a fake. It may just be from the 2018-2019 run.
  • The coating wears off easily if it is a black or gold band.
  • The band is offered in funky colors like bright blue, red, or even metallic rainbow.

Link Bracelet
There are quite a few knockoff link bracelets floating around out there because Apple's version is so, so expensive. It is pretty easy to spot the fakes though.

• The links are removed with buttons on the inside of the band. No tools are needed.
    • NOTE: Some third party link bracelets use this button mechanism. Look for other markings as well before deciding your band is genuine.
  • The face of the links is brushed. The sides of the links are polished like the stainless steel watches.
  • "316L Stainless Steel" is engraved on the inside of the clasp.
  • 38mm or 42mm is engraved in a circle on the inside of the clasp.
  • "Assembled in China" is stamped on one lug edge.
  • Newer link bracelets have a serial number in the lug but older ones do not.
  • Only offered in Silver and Space Black
  • Links must be removed with a tool.
  • The sides of the links are matte/brushed rather than polished.
  • No markings on the band.
  • Offered in other colors like gold.

Please reply and I'll update this or edit the wiki yourself. :)
I recently purchased a used space black link bracelet that does not have the “316 L stainless steel” engraved under the clasp. But it does have the “Assembled in China” engraved on the lug edge. I asked the seller about the authenticity of the band and she told me her husband was an Apple employee and received this band as a gift from his work mates years ago. Have you ever encountered or heard of a link bracelet such as this?

Attachments

• A8C1D06E-4654-4732-B347-678E4F5AA74A.jpeg
    A8C1D06E-4654-4732-B347-678E4F5AA74A.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 1B0AFDD2-737F-46A5-B01A-6CD3F28024A4.jpeg
    1B0AFDD2-737F-46A5-B01A-6CD3F28024A4.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 180
  • E7F26276-5153-417E-B40E-31C3D043ACFB.jpeg
    E7F26276-5153-417E-B40E-31C3D043ACFB.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 184

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Based on the wide range of unmarked prototypes and misfit bands we the band-obsessed get from ChargerStore on eBay that are nonetheless legit, I’m inclined to trust it.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

Based on the wide range of unmarked prototypes and misfit bands we the band-obsessed get from ChargerStore on eBay that are nonetheless legit, I’m inclined to trust it.
Yeah the only place I have seen a genuine link bracelet without the clasp engraving is Chargerstore. Can you post a picture with the clasp buckled? The fake ones often don’t look as clean as the genuine band when closed. Also, do the links separate with buttons? I am skeptical of the “Apple employee” story you have been given. But, the band might still be genuine and just a factory reject from a place like Chargerstore.

Jim barlow

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
I mostly have the first three generations Classic Buckles and a bunch of leather loops. I saw this advertised for $15 and figured why not. It’s actually pretty nice. It’s clean and well-made, no gaps and the closure snaps nicely. The “Assembled in China” etching throws me though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.