Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Oh mine works....
It just used to work commercial-free.
Now it works but with commercials.

I will try again tomorrow. The only show I tried was "The River" and it failed about 4 or 5 times so I switched it off. Other than that, I am trying other XBMC addons, plus I just jail broke my other ATV2 today for the bedroom.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Got hulu up and running, but it plays the ad brought to you by hulu plus everytime and then kicks back out to the menu. any thoughts?

Is this the case for many different shows/movies? Or are you only trying one TV series or movie?

I ask because I had this problem before and it seemed to be related to a particular show not being completely "ready" on Hulu yet. Usually with a very recently aired show. Made some sense to me since the ad stream is always ready, but the actual content video file might not be. I just waited a few more days after the show had aired and then tried and it worked fine.

Also, I sometimes get sketchy behavior by XBMC like this somewhat randomly. Usually just requires exiting and re-entering XBMC.

JailbreakNoire

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Thanks a lot! I just jailbroke yesterday and I was able to follow this without having felt confused or over my head. This is whole thing is pretty neat.

flyinthelyceum

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Any ideas on addressing script error?

actually none of the add ons work. I see this message (see attached photo) every time i try to access them.

this tutorial was brilliant. everything works except for the video plug-ins. I am getting the same script error. i updated to hulu 3.4.2 today and have the same issue. any one want to take a crack at why this is?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
this tutorial was brilliant. everything works except for the video plug-ins. I am getting the same script error. i updated to hulu 3.4.2 today and have the same issue. any one want to take a crack at why this is?

Have you quit and restart XBMC? Are the script errors happening for all shows you attempt to stream?

As I wrote above, I get script errors for some shows but not others. Most of the time my Hulu streams work. (I believe you that this is a real error of course, but I'm not sure what to do other than try to narrow down the cause.)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
After doing this to two different ATVs I thought that some Windows specific instuctions might help any fellow Windows users.

I used PuTTY for all of the SSH commands and PSFTP for the SFTP commands.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

The Windows-specific instructions are in Bold.

5. Download both putty.exe and psftp.exe to your Desktop.
Right-click on putty.exe on your desktop and select Run as adminstrator.
Enter the IP address of your specific Apple TV into the Host Name box and leave all other settings as-is.
If this is your first time running PuTTY you will get a security confirmation dialog box from Windows.
You want to click OK to proceed.
Inside PuTTY you will get a login as prompt and you'll want to enter "root"

6. At the password prompt enter "alpine"

7. Update apt sources - type “apt-get update”

8. Install NitoTV - type “apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV”

(NitoTV is a feature that allows you to easily install other programs on your ATV from the ATV’s menu system, so you won’t have to use the command line as much.)

9. Type “killall AppleTV”. This will restart the Apple TV menu system so you can see the new software (NitoTV) you just installed.

10. On your ATV, go to NitoTV and install XBMC, updatebegone, and openSSH. XBMC is the Xbox Media Center software which will allow you to watch Hulu. updatebegone stops the ATV from auto updating or nagging you about updating to the next Apple Firmware update, since you won’t want to update the firmware until the next jailbreak update comes out. (Otherwise you’d lose your jailbreak when updating to the next Apple firmware.) OpenSSH just makes it easier to install the Hulu plugin for XBMC later. (not completely sure that openSSH is necessary, but oh well)

XBMC has now been installed! But it’s not ready to stream Hulu just yet. . .

Now we need to install the bluecop repository, which is just a zip file containing “add-ons” that will augment XBMC and allow it to stream Hulu. You can see a post about this plugin, with instructions on how to install it, here:
http://www.appletvhacks.net/2011/03/...on-apple-tv-2/

11. Download the .zip file for the bluecop repository from the above link to your Desktop.

12. Exit out of the PuTTY SSH session you started earlier with your ATV by typing “exit”.

13. Right-click on the psftp.exe on your desktop and again select run as administrator.
Again, your host name is your specific Apple TV's IP address so inside PSFTP enter "open xxx.xxx.x.xx" (substitute your IP address for the xxx.xxx.x.xx) and hit return.

All other steps from this point are the same as in the original instructions.
All of the downloads don't really need to be to your Desktop but having them and the repository all in the same place will make the whole process easier.
Once you're done, putty.exe, psftp.exe, and the repository can all be deleted from your Desktop.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Sorry the listed syntax didn't work for you. Odd, since it does work for me.
I know this is old but I wanted to point out why it might fail.

In the OP the text is:
“ssh –l root 192.168.0.186”

If that is copy and pasted, with the IP address changed, it won't actually work. It's the dash: it's an en dash not a hyphen so it will always fail. Might want to edit the OP.

That drove me crazy for some reason and I had to figure out what caused it lol.

Michael

flyinthelyceum

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Have you quit and restart XBMC? Are the script errors happening for all shows you attempt to stream?

As I wrote above, I get script errors for some shows but not others. Most of the time my Hulu streams work. (I believe you that this is a real error of course, but I'm not sure what to do other than try to narrow down the cause.)

Yes I have quit and restarted. Updated Hulu from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2 and quit and restarted.

The script error occurs every time when trying to launch from xbmc, meaning I have never accessed the Hulu gui.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
In the OP the text is:
“ssh –l root 192.168.0.186”

If that is copy and pasted, with the IP address changed, it won't actually work. It's the dash: it's an en dash not a hyphen so it will always fail. Might want to edit the OP.

Fixed. Sorry about that! Thanks for pointing it out.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Yes I have quit and restarted. Updated Hulu from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2 and quit and restarted.

The script error occurs every time when trying to launch from xbmc, meaning I have never accessed the Hulu gui.

Hmm ok. Odd. Mine continues to work but it's possible I have an older version of the Hulu plugin than you do.

People on the bluecop-xbmc-repo forum say the newest version of the Hulu plugin (version 3.4.3) has fixed the script failed problem. See here:
http://code.google.com/p/bluecop-xbmc-repo/updates/list

Here is Bluecop's revision for the Hulu plugin to version 3.4.3.
See here:
http://code.google.com/p/bluecop-xbmc-repo/source/detail?r=372

It seems that you should be able to replace the versions of the files in the installed plugin's /trunk directory with the new versions, and that would be equivalent to upgrading to 3.4.3. Or you could just modify the files directly by ssh'ing into your ATV and using vi to edit the text of the files manually.
But I haven't done this myself (nor will I try, at the moment, since my system is currently working as is). If your system isn't working though, I'd say you have nothing to lose by trying this upgrade.

flyinthelyceum

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Hmm ok. Odd. Mine continues to work but it's possible I have an older version of the Hulu plugin than you do.

People on the bluecop-xbmc-repo forum say the newest version of the Hulu plugin (version 3.4.3) has fixed the script failed problem. See here:
http://code.google.com/p/bluecop-xbmc-repo/updates/list

Here is Bluecop's revision for the Hulu plugin to version 3.4.3.
See here:
http://code.google.com/p/bluecop-xbmc-repo/source/detail?r=372

It seems that you should be able to replace the versions of the files in the installed plugin's /trunk directory with the new versions, and that would be equivalent to upgrading to 3.4.3. Or you could just modify the files directly by ssh'ing into your ATV and using vi to edit the text of the files manually.
But I haven't done this myself (nor will I try, at the moment, since my system is currently working as is). If your system isn't working though, I'd say you have nothing to lose by trying this upgrade.

I went to change the code and realized I have already updated to 3.4.3

I am stumped. Any ideas? freecable works great but streaming add-ons (hulu, espn, etc...) have never initialized. at this point, it was probably an error on my part along the way.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Fixed. Sorry about that! Thanks for pointing it out.

No, thank YOU for starting this thread. It finally got me motivated to jb'ing my ATV. I cannot believe how it transformed the device. I didn't even think the lil ATV had the horsepower to do some of things I am doing with it now.

Michael

Win Mac User

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
ESPN Plug-in

Thanks for the great step by step instructions. I had no problem at all getting my ATV2 jailbroken and getting XBMC installed. Hulu and FreeCable add ons have been working great without any issues for me. The issue I have been having is I continually get a script error when trying to launch the ESPN3 add on. I have AT&T DSL and can access ESPN 3 just fine from my computers. However, it continues to get a script error on the ATV2 and I have not found any help online. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I went to change the code and realized I have already updated to 3.4.3

I am stumped. Any ideas? freecable works great but streaming add-ons (hulu, espn, etc...) have never initialized. at this point, it was probably an error on my part along the way.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to uninstall and re-install bluecop on the ATV. (I think there is actually an "uninstall" option in XBMC for the individual add-ons, isn't there? That would allow you to do it using the XBMC GUI.)

If that doesn't work, re-download and re-install the entire bluecop repository, overwriting the previous version somehow.

If THAT doesn't work, you could try updating or re-installing XBMC.

I highly doubt the problem has anything to do with the jailbreak process. Seems like this is either internal to Bluecop or at least internal to XBMC.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
The issue I have been having is I continually get a script error when trying to launch the ESPN3 add on. I have AT&T DSL and can access ESPN 3 just fine from my computers. However, it continues to get a script error on the ATV2 and I have not found any help online. Does anyone have any advice?

Do you need to have a username/password to watch espn3? If so, you can input those in the same part of the XBMC settings where you install the individual add-ons.

rrmoore73

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Help

I knew this would be a pain in the butt...:rolleyes:

I downloaded Season pass and when I plug in the micro to my ATV, the lighta dont come on.
I eventually assumed they wouldnt (even though the instructions say they will) and held the 'menu' and 'play' buttons for 7 seconds. I get some lights flickering then but Nothing happens.
Ii still says "waiting for device to enter DFU mode'.

Ideas?

Ive tried restarting the computer and the process again, with the same results.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
You have to put it in DFU mode. Season pass should have instructions on screen. I think it's hold play and menu for 7 seconds.

I knew this would be a pain in the butt...:rolleyes:

I downloaded Season pass and when I plug in the micro to my ATV, the lighta dont come on.
I eventually assumed they wouldnt (even though the instructions say they will) and held the 'menu' and 'play' buttons for 7 seconds. I get some lights flickering then but Nothing happens.
Ii still says "waiting for device to enter DFU mode'.

Ideas?

Ive tried restarting the computer and the process again, with the same results.

rrmoore73

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
help!

I did that....see thread.

No luck.

You have to put it in DFU mode. Season pass should have instructions on screen. I think it's hold play and menu for 7 seconds.

----------

The insructions say,"Once the light on the front of the AppleTV begins to flash rapidly, point the remote at the AppleTV and hold both the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons for 7 seven seconds."

The light on the front never came on or blinked rapidly after plugging it in"

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Question about Hulu if I'm only using Hulu on the atv2 is there a reason to get Hulu plus? does it offer more shows are are they the same content just allowing you to view it on other devices?

Last edited:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
You don't have the power cord plugged in too do you?

I did that....see thread
No luck.

----------

The insructions say,"Once the light on the front of the AppleTV begins to flash rapidly, point the remote at the AppleTV and hold both the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons for 7 seven seconds."

The light on the front never came on or blinked rapidly after plugging it in"

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Question about Hulu if I'm only using Hulu on the atv2 is there a reason to get Hulu plus? does it offer more shows are are they the same content just allowing you to view it on other devices?

From Hulu's FAQ: http://www.hulu.com/plus-?src=topnav
What's the difference between Hulu and Hulu plus:

Device access. Hulu.com is a free option for users who want to watch TV shows on their computers. Hulu is limited to the PC environment. Hulu Plus enables users to watch Hulu content instantly in HD (720p) to internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, set-top boxes, iPads, iPhones, and many other devices. (To see a full list of Hulu Plus enabled devices, please visit: Hulu Plus Device page)

This is not really an issue for you since you're watching free Hulu on your device: the jailbroken ATV, despite Hulu's intentions that free Hulu only be available on your computer.

Content. Generally, Hulu.com offers up to the last five episodes that aired on TV, while Hulu Plus generally offers all current-season episodes from popular shows such as Glee, 30 Rock, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, House, and Modern Family, and full series runs (all episodes from every season), including The X-Files, Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, Battlestar Galactica, Monk, Psych, Saturday Night Live, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Ugly Betty, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and dozens more. Hulu Plus is also the exclusive source for the most comprehensive library of the Criterion Collection archive with hundreds of acclaimed films.

This is probably the main difference that might matter to you. (It doesn't really matter to me since I have Netflix so that covers most of my needs for previously run episodes of TV shows.)

Video Quality. Hulu.com streams in standard definition while Hulu Plus streams in HD when available.

Again, up to you whether this matters or not. I'd say most of the shows I watch on free Hulu on the ATV are DVD-quality, which is 480p. And that's fine by me. I don't need the Daily Show to be in High Def.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
From Hulu's FAQ: http://www.hulu.com/plus-?src=topnav

This is not really an issue for you since you're watching free Hulu on your device: the jailbroken ATV, despite Hulu's intentions that free Hulu only be available on your computer.

This is probably the main difference that might matter to you. (It doesn't really matter to me since I have Netflix so that covers most of my needs for previously run episodes of TV shows.)

Again, up to you whether this matters or not. I'd say most of the shows I watch on free Hulu on the ATV are DVD-quality, which is 480p. And that's fine by me. I don't need the Daily Show to be in High Def.

Well after I setup everything on hulu via ATV2, I decided to trial Hulu Plus. I have to say it's amazing. I got so I see zero commercial and half the shows are so clear you can't tell they are being streamed. My wife is from Japan, and I found some Japanese shows (mostly anime so far) and she's happy about that. I am think I am damn near ready to turn off cable.

I also found zatoichi, a 1960's TV series from Japan that's really cool. Not as good as the movie, but a good storyline.

rrmoore73

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
try again

ok.
I finally jailbroke my ATV. Ill try to insall hulu tonight. Its from a pc and I just saw the window instructions a few quotes above.
It is possible to do without purchasing Playnow, correct?

Well after I setup everything on hulu via ATV2, I decided to trial Hulu Plus. I have to say it's amazing. I got so I see zero commercial and half the shows are so clear you can't tell they are being streamed. My wife is from Japan, and I found some Japanese shows (mostly anime so far) and she's happy about that. I am think I am damn near ready to turn off cable.

I also found zatoichi, a 1960's TV series from Japan that's really cool. Not as good as the movie, but a good storyline.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
ok.
I finally jailbroke my ATV. Ill try to insall hulu tonight. Its from a pc and I just saw the window instructions a few quotes above.
It is possible to do without purchasing Playnow, correct?

Yes, you don't have to purchase anything. Now that it's jailbroken you need to install XBMC first, then you use a terminal, (I used Filezilla client) and follow instructions. Once you put the zip file in the folder you just install with your remote in the xmbc client on the TV.

Filezilla http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.