Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They are banned for quite a few reasons. I do agree that censorship is one of them. The one I mentioned is also true
They have banned several IT companies and social media companies in China for not agreeing to be censored.

Now when Huawei is banned they act like a victim.....

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
They have banned several IT companies and social media companies in China for not agreeing to be censored.

Now when Huawei is banned they act like a victim.....
The US is not that much different or better, banks that don't abide by US censorship (aka regulations) are also subject to bring banned ;) Those that come to the US from abroad who don't hand over their smartphones for censorship (aka inspection) are also often banned from entering the country in the US. No country is perfect my friend ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The US is not that much different or better, banks that don't abide by US censorship (aka regulations) are also subject to bring banned ;) Those that come to the US from abroad who don't hand over their smartphones for censorship (aka inspection) are also often banned from entering the country in the US. No country is perfect my friend ;)
agreed...no country is perfect...but the blatant censorship and outright lying from China is not comparable to what you listed. Then I can back up what I say with facts and have done so numerous times in this thread and others.
Given the climate in China there is little doubt in my mind that Huawei is controlled indirectly/directly by the government.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
agreed...no country is perfect...but the blatant censorship and outright lying from China is not comparable to what you listed. Then I can back up what I say with facts and have done so numerous times in this thread and others.
Given the climate in China there is little doubt in my mind that Huawei is controlled indirectly/directly by the government.
What smartphone/s do you own and use?

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
My other half has just picked up a P30 Pro, early signs are that it's an absolute stunning piece of kit. I don't care how many times I used to hear, iPhone doesn't need much ram as it's so optimised!! Well try 8 gig under the hood and then try and suggest it's some problem. It is so buttery smooth, I am well impressed! And we haven't even got onto the camera....

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I rotate between 3 phones right now. An iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 4 XL and Galaxy S20 Plus.
So you don’t own a Huawei Smartphone (neither P30 or P30 PRO) but post here (and other threads related to Huawei products) to troll about Huawei and China then, right..?
There is a difference between where owners/users post to ask a question about it or features about it and those that only post to bash company and country it was manufactured in. You also do realize that the same company in China (Foxconn) that made your iPhone 11 PRO MAX makes many smartphones for Huawei as well don’t you?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So you don’t own a Huawei Smartphone (neither P30 or P30 PRO) but post here (and other threads related to Huawei products) to troll about Huawei and China then, right..?
There is a difference between where owners/users post to ask a question about it or features about it and those that only post to bash company and country it was manufactured in. You also do realize that the same company in China (Foxconn) that made your iPhone 11 PRO MAX makes many smartphones for Huawei as well don’t you?
Not trolling at all...the other thread is not just about phones but a general security threat thread. You started that thread.

I work in cyber security for a fortune 500 investment firm and have been in infosec for 20 years. There are so many things out there that all point to Huawei being tied to a very suppressive communist government. From their past to the very present...they can't be trusted.

Phones are a big hobby of mine. I go through at least 10 phones a year. That number is small now because I used to get EVERY phone that was released. In the past I would buy 18-20 phones a year.
I have had numerous Huawei phones and consider them to be awesome phones. Build quality and performance is top notch imho. They last Huawei phones were the Mate 10 and P10 Pro great phones. Not a fan of the EMUI Android skin they use. But maybe it has evolved since then.

Then I don't care where my phones are made to be honest. I am well aware that iPhones are made in China.
I have nothing against China or its people. No prejudice or bias against them or I would not buy iPhones knowing they are assembled and manufactured in China by different companies. I have friends and work colleagues of Chinese and Asian decent. No issue there...they would be amused to hear someone thought I was biased against them to say the least! LOL Also those work colleagues i speak of all share they same opinion of Huawei I do :)

Then to be honest I would gladly buy the P30 Pro and upcoming Mate 40. They lead the industry in smartphone cameras.
But i don't trust the company.

Last edited:
Reactions: servenvolley

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Not trolling at all...the other thread is not just about phones but a general security threat thread. You started that thread.

I work in cyber security for a fortune 500 investment firm and have been in infosec for 20 years. There are so many things out there that all point to Huawei being tied to a very suppressive communist government. From their past to the very present...they can't be trusted.

Phones are a big hobby of mine. I go through at least 10 phones a year. That number is small now because I used to get EVERY phone that was released. In the past I would buy 18-20 phones a year.
I have had numerous Huawei phones and consider them to be awesome phones. Build quality and performance is top notch imho. They last Huawei phones were the Mate 10 and P10 Pro great phones. Not a fan of the EMUI Android skin they use. But maybe it has evolved since then.

Then I don't care where my phones are made to be honest. I am well aware that iPhones are made in China.
I have nothing against China or its people. No prejudice or bias against them or I would not buy iPhones knowing they are assembled and manufactured in China by different companies. I have friends and work colleagues of Chinese and Asian decent. No issue there...they would be amused to hear someone thought I was biased against them to say the least! LOL Also those work colleagues i speak of all share they same opinion of Huawei I do :)

Then to be honest I would gladly buy the P30 Pro and upcoming Mate 40. They lead the industry in smartphone cameras.
But i don't trust the company.

This is what I think as I had mentioned before.. It is well known that the local government in China spies on its people via smartphones although they are not the only ones that do this around the world. I don't think though that the Huawei smartphones sold overseas in particular markets spy on people. It takes two parties for this to happen and it also happens with Apple in China as well.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is what I think as I had mentioned before.. It is well known that the local government in China spies on its people via smartphones although they are not the only ones that do this around the world. I don't think though that the Huawei smartphones sold overseas in particular markets spy on people. It takes two parties for this to happen and it also happens with Apple in China as well.
What phone do you use? Why so defensive of Huawei? You defend them in every thread. Why? Do you have ties with the company? Do you get paid to promote them?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My other half has just picked up a P30 Pro, early signs are that it's an absolute stunning piece of kit. I don't care how many times I used to hear, iPhone doesn't need much ram as it's so optimised!! Well try 8 gig under the hood and then try and suggest it's some problem. It is so buttery smooth, I am well impressed! And we haven't even got onto the camera....
Seems that Huawei is the most "mature" OEM amongst all the Chinese ones. Their phones have really well build quality, and their software features are as rich as Samsung, albeit still being cluttered (seems like a Chinese thing). I really love how Huawei pushed the camera quality on Android. Samsung was really getting a run for its money with Huawei on its tail.

I have a Honor View 10 (Honor is Huawei's sub-brand). It's super smooth and its fingerprint sensor is probably the best I have experienced on Android. The OS issue is definitely unfortunate.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
More good stuff coming in EMUI 10.1. Far advance of its competitors. No wonder it is getting its legs pulled.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Who would you think a smartphone manufacturers competitors are? What a weird thing to say?

I'm trying to get him to elaborate on what I think hes saying. Does he really think EMUI is "far advanced" of the other android skins? If so, that's an odd statement and I am curious as to what he thinks makes it so far ahead of Oxygen OS, or stock android, or OneUI.

Unless you know exactly what he was trying to say, how about you let him be the one to reply and explain it.

Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I do like EMUI, but it's certainly not "far advanced" than the competition. Merely a case of personal preference. But I get that certain posters on this thread make strange statements and leave.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
In this internet era, people can search web to look for how good a software or product can be. I do not work for a living with Huawei or promote its product. All I am trying to emphasize is as a consumer of a product with the coming software. It is better than its competitors. I have been using their competitor products and know the difference. I have been using Huawei products, I know they are good. I have tried the new software. Is that a crime? Enough said.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Wow. Just wow. I dont even know what else to say. That literally explained nothing, did nothing to support the previous post, and basically just amounted to...its better because I think it is and I know what's good.

Cool.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
I'm trying to get him to elaborate on what I think hes saying. Does he really think EMUI is "far advanced" of the other android skins? If so, that's an odd statement and I am curious as to what he thinks makes it so far ahead of Oxygen OS, or stock android, or OneUI.

Unless you know exactly what he was trying to say, how about you let him be the one to reply and explain it.
So you have completely flown by what I have wrote and gone onto the 2nd part of your silly comment. He mentioned competitors and being more advanced than others.

You then ask who the competitors are?

I Ask who do you think the competitors are to an OEM?

You then state that he should answer what the advanced section are of EMUI..

Brilliant, so can we agree we all know who the competitors are of HUAWEI, or are we still playing little games?

Reactions: ramram55

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
So you have completely flown by what I have wrote and gone onto the 2nd part of your silly comment. He mentioned competitors and being more advanced than others.

You then ask who the competitors are?

I Ask who do you think the competitors are to an OEM?

You then state that he should answer what the advanced section are of EMUI..

Brilliant, so can we agree we all know who the competitors are of HUAWEI, or are we still playing little games?

I'm not playing games. I was just asking him to clarify his comments because at face value they were unsupported and a little ridiculous. My question of who the competitors are were to give him an out and say some of the lower but popular OEMs in that market like RealMe, Vivo, and Oppo. That would have made is comment a little more realistic. Because if we're being honest, Huawei's whole skin and suite of apps is just a worse version of what what Samsung do. If he is talking about something specifically from them like their cameras, again that would make some sense. So thats why I asked him to clarify.

His response to my question was to doubled-down by giving no support to why he thinks Huawei are so far ahead of everyone other than because he knows they are. I'm not asking him to change his mind, I was genuinely curious as to why he thought that.

But none of that matters, because the real question is why do you feel the need to speak for him about a comment he made which you have no clue to his intention or meaning?

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
I'm not playing games. I was just asking him to clarify his comments because at face value they were unsupported and a little ridiculous. My question of who the competitors are were to give him an out and say some of the lower but popular OEMs in that market like RealMe, Vivo, and Oppo. That would have made is comment a little more realistic. Because if we're being honest, Huawei's whole skin and suite of apps is just a worse version of what what Samsung do. If he is talking about something specifically from them like their cameras, again that would make some sense. So thats why I asked him to clarify.

His response to my question was to doubled-down by giving no support to why he thinks Huawei are so far ahead of everyone other than because he knows they are. I'm not asking him to change his mind, I was genuinely curious as to why he thought that.

But none of that matters, because the real question is why do you feel the need to speak for him about a comment he made which you have no clue to his intention or meaning?
And for the 2nd time you have completely bypassed your rediculous comments about who are huawei's competitors. Then go on about me speaking up for this lad and not knowing his intentions. TaLk about speaking in riddles.
It's obvious English.isnt your native tongue, no one would choose to talk in riddles as you are currently doing.
Sorry to bother you, best we just go Bout our business in separate ways.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
And for the 2nd time you have completely bypassed your rediculous comments about who are huawei's competitors. Then go on about me speaking up for this lad and not knowing his intentions. TaLk about speaking in riddles.
It's obvious English.isnt your native tongue, no one would choose to talk in riddles as you are currently doing.
Sorry to bother you, best we just go Bout our business in separate ways.

The problem is clearly me "speaking in riddles" and not your struggle with reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Seems that Huawei is the most "mature" OEM amongst all the Chinese ones. Their phones have really well build quality, and their software features are as rich as Samsung, albeit still being cluttered (seems like a Chinese thing). I really love how Huawei pushed the camera quality on Android. Samsung was really getting a run for its money with Huawei on its tail.

I have a Honor View 10 (Honor is Huawei's sub-brand). It's super smooth and its fingerprint sensor is probably the best I have experienced on Android. The OS issue is definitely unfortunate.

It was indeed fantastic to watch Huawei catchup to Samsung, I remember first laying my eyes on the Huawei Ascend Mate 7, THAT phone is what made me truly take Huawei seriously and I stated many times that this was an OEM to keep an eye on.

When the Mate 10 Pro landed it was clear that Huawei was looking to dominate, using the Mate 10 Pro alongside my Note8 back in 2017 was quite an experience, I would jump between the two constantly.

My main takeaway when using the Mate 10 Pro was that Huawei has 3 very clear focus points in all their phones:
- Battery Life
- Camera Quality
- Strong RF

They CONSISTENTLY knock the ball out the park on all 3 of those fronts with every single mode be it low end or high end, those are 3 fundamentals for them and it never changes. I then had the Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro, again they tick those 3 boxes without a sweat. Samsung themselves don’t have that sort of consistency, a Samsung low end versus a Samsung Hugh end are like day and night often times, you never know what you will get with a Samsung low end, I remember how horrible those J series phones were for example.

I currently have a P40 Lite on review and once again Huawei have stuck to those fundamentals, it’s a low end phone and yet it has a huge 4200mAh battery with 40W fast charger in the box, top RF quality and the camera is pretty damn good for what it is.

If I get the P40 Pro I will post a thread about my thoughts on it and HMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.