Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I got the Genuine Huawei Silicon one, it's pretty decent. Like that it covers the bottom of the phone and isn't open like previous cases.

Oh nice.
Do they offer coloured options?
What did you go for?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Only had a quick play but I’ve just packed up my S10+ and put my sim in the P30 Pro. Going to stick with this for a while and if I find it’s not as good as I hoped, there’s always the Note 10. lol

When I put my sim in, like an idiot I put the sim ejection tool in the hole next to the sim tray holder. I felt some resistance at first so I hope I’ve not caused any damage to what I assume is the microphone. Did a quick voice memo and seems ok.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Only had a quick play but I’ve just packed up my S10+ and put my sim in the P30 Pro. Going to stick with this for a while and if I find it’s not as good as I hoped, there’s always the Note 10. lol

When I put my sim in, like an idiot I put the sim ejection tool in the hole next to the sim tray holder. I felt some resistance at first so I hope I’ve not caused any damage to what I assume is the microphone. Did a quick voice memo and seems ok.

What colour P30 did you get?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Breathing crystal. Not sure if I would have preferred Aurora (not seen it in person) but I'm more than happy with this colour.

Nice - same here.

In videos, the Aurora looks stunning, but I think I'd get more fatigued with a blue phone and I really like the effect of this Crystal one.
Shame there's no Twilight this time.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I prefer having an app drawer to all apps on the home screen. But it's a shame you have to have the app drawer button in the middle of the dock.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I picked one up 1st thing this morning after getting a hands on in my local Carphone Warehouse.

Initial impressions are excellent. I much prefer the gestures on the P30 Pro to the S10 ones. The Huawei gestures have definitely improved since I first used them on my Mate 20 pro, they're definitely smoother and more IOS like which is a good thing.

The screen, while not as sharp as the S10 Plus is definitely not a deal breaker, not for me any way. Its a Samsung panel if I recall and imo its better than the higher resolution one in the Mate 20 Pro.

Lastly, the notch! I like it, as far as notches go it's pretty unobtrusive and imo it is miles better than the hole punch.

The only negative I can think of so far is the lack of stereo speakers, however, I don't think there is a phone yet that has it all.

Will report back later after a little time with it.

Haha! This is interesting. I still find my Mate 20 Pro's screen better than my P30 Pro's, I am actually on my Mate 20 Pro right now (left the P30 Pro downstairs and I am simply too lazy to go back to the TV room for now, after a long day of work)

Honestly prefer the Mate 20 Pro display quality.

The Notch I completely agree, the P30 Pro takes it, far less intrusive and noticeable, it's such a pleasure to see all my notifications vs. On the Mate 20 Pro.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Couple of things after an hour or so messing around with it.

Scrolling is iPhone like. This is a great thing. Samsung scrolling is janky and too fast. Nice to see that Huawei has it nailed.

Lock button in a much better place compared to S10. S10's way too high in comparison.

Fingerprint scanner so much better. Like night and day. I don't think it has failed on me once so far.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The camera!!!

This is my XR at full zoom.

CQLTb6h.jpg

And the P30 Pro at 10x

Bt77ejW.jpg

Cannot wait to get to the zoo with this on Wednesday!!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Battery Life continues to be epic on this device, I am getting 9-10hours SOT consistently on the P30 Pro which is absolutely insane, the Mate 20 Pro was not far off, with about 8-9hours, but that had a higher resolution display.

Between yesterday and this morning this thing is not just a camera king but a road warrior of a device. The 256GB internal memory and 8GB RAM are just icing on the cake for a power user.
5633ffdd92101b4d0483743181723287.jpg
615e06ec6475c35a9c1b01f1985fcd4b.jpg
54a0a952ba368034ffe2aa5076a6fbc6.jpg
760e5fb5a0aab396d50f77e3b1a694c9.jpg

Reactions: Geert76 and JPack

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Couple of things after an hour or so messing around with it.

Scrolling is iPhone like. This is a great thing. Samsung scrolling is janky and too fast. Nice to see that Huawei has it nailed.

Lock button in a much better place compared to S10. S10's way too high in comparison.

Fingerprint scanner so much better. Like night and day. I don't think it has failed on me once so far.
Haha, indeed. People do not realise just how Fast and Fluid EMUI is. I think part of what helps is the P30 series is using a new File System.

But even going back devices like the Mate 10 Pro, EMUI has always been incredibly fast and staying at fast overtime. Most people's beef with EMUI is the look of it, the performance is only rivaled by Pixel, OnePlus and iPhone.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Haha, indeed. People do not realise just how Fast and Fluid EMUI is. I think part of what helps is the P30 series is using a new File System.

But even going back devices like the Mate 10 Pro, EMUI has always been incredibly fast and staying at fast overtime. Most people's beef with EMUI is the look of it, the performance is only rivaled by Pixel, OnePlus and iPhone.

My experience of EMUI has always been positive. I had a P20 last year and it was extremely fast and fluid, more so than the Pixel 2 I had owned.

This is no different. The OS though, not so nice. I downloaded Lean Launcher and thankfully that's working fine so far.

Reactions: Tsepz

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Wow those zoom pics really put things into perspective. I am so happy to see Huawei killing it, this will just push the industry ahead for sure.

Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Pretty much got it set up how I want with the default launcher, although at some point I'll be having a go with Nova. Just a few thoughts on the phone so far.

I do prefer One UI but that's not to say EMUI is bad. Just little differences I prefer on One UI. Wish I could change the thumbnail pic in my picture folders being one of them. And it's a few more steps to get to the screen time option, which is a little annoying. And the menus in general are laid out a little better. Which says a lot about how much Samsung have improved lately. But these are minor things.

Can see this being the best phone battery I've used. 2.5 SOT and I have 75% left after my first full charge.

I said yesterday I could notice the display quality difference to my S10+. Which was true but I've quickly got used to it and I'm not nit picking differences. Auto brightness on the P30 Pro can need altering sometimes.

The FPS is a lot quicker and more reliable than the S10+ but I hate the big bright animation when using it!

I really like the swipe back and forth options this phone has. It's similar to iOS (if not as slick) and a feature I always miss on Android.

Need to play around with the camera more. Quick night mode shots indoors look terribly lit and blurry, not sure what's going on with that.

The breathing crystal really does look amazing. Purple, light blue, hint of green or even silver in some light. Huawei have really nailed the colours. A fingerprint magnet like all the rest! I've seen some comments online about this colour being 'too girly'. The only thing I can say to that is those people have issues. lol

I always use cases because accidents happen at one point or another and it's very slippery. Keeps sliding down my sofa when using it. I've gone for a clear gel for now so I can see the back. I just don't like clear sides on cases but the ones I've seen with coloured sides don't look very good.

Initial thoughts tell me the S10+ is a little better overall but never having used a Huawei for more than a day, I want to use and get to grips with this for a few months. I managed to send my S10+ back under the 28 days, so I've actually saved money by switching to a phone £200 cheaper.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Have the P30 now for a day.

First thing I instantly noticed; the fingerprint scanner on this P30 is light years more accurate and most of all, much much faster.

The Samsung S10 series' fingerprint scanner is a real joke and 'early beta', compared to the P30's.

And oh boy the camera of my P30 is making both Samsung S10 and iPhone Xs cameras from the year 1980 :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Have the P30 now for a day.

First thing I instantly noticed; the fingerprint scanner on this P30 is light years more accurate and most of all, much much faster.

The Samsung S10 series' fingerprint scanner is a real joke and 'early beta', compared to the P30's.

And oh boy the camera of my P30 is making both Samsung S10 and iPhone Xs cameras from the year 1980 :D
I think that's going abit too far lol cameras on the S10 and Xs are still great cameras. I think s10 can certainly get better via software updates. Certainly with the night sight mode

Fingerprint scanner on the S10 for me is getting better for me.. Light years better than it was at the start. Works pretty much all the time since the factory reset. P30 Pro does sound quicker for sure but it has been out longer after After all

Last edited:
Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
this phone is a true battery champ so far.

Been downloading and installing a bunch of apps and made a lot of photos and videos.
Of course playing with it almost non stop.

Started about 8 hours ago with a full battery, now it's at 78%, not bad for a first day when the OS is indexing as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.