Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
The night time capabilities of this phone really is a step above other smartphones.

I completely fail to see what's so special of so called night mode that completely ruins night time photography. If you want daylight picture than shoot during the day and if you want night time picture you should shoot in Default mode and P30 is very good in Default mode. Night mode is complete travesty for outdoor photography.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I completely fail to see what's so special of so called night mode that completely ruins night time photography. If you want daylight picture than shoot during the day and if you want night time picture you should shoot in Default mode and P30 is very good in Default mode. Night mode is complete travesty for outdoor photography.

What if you're only able to visit a certain place when it's dark and you just want to get a decent picture without it coming out terrible? I'd rather have the option than not. Surely you can appreciate it's pretty clever what it can achieve?

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I have read a lot of problems with (very!) aggressive app management and notifications not coming through with EMUI until you actually wake or unlock the phone.

Can anyone confirm this who had previous a Huawei phone?

Last edited:

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I have read a lot of problems with (very!) aggressive app management and notifications not coming through with EMUI until you actually wake or unlock the phone.

The app management out of the box is indeed aggressive but you can manage apps individually in settings so there is no delay in receiving emails etc.

I have no issues receiving notifications on my Mate 20 Pro.

Reactions: Geert76

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
@Aneres11 what color did you order? I think I’m going to go with Aurora.

I went with the crystal one.
I love the Prism White on my S10+ and the crystal looks like it only more enhanced.

I was tempted by black too but thought it would be too much of a fingerprint magnet.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

As MarkX said, you can tweak this to your preferences. Both Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro have so much RAM that you never really worry about apps dropping, especially when you setup the ones you want to keep in RAM no matter what.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
As MarkX said, you can tweak this to your preferences. Both Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro have so much RAM that you never really worry about apps dropping, especially when you setup the ones you want to keep in RAM no matter what.

thanks!

what about push notifications? I have read on several message boards and forums that EMUI has a very hard time with pushing notifications when the phone is asleep.

Reactions: Tsepz

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
thanks!

what about push notifications? I have read on several message boards and forums that EMUI has a very hard time with pushing notifications when the phone is asleep.
Emails/messages are the only things I have set up to push and don't have any issues receiving the them when the phone has been idle for a period of time.

Reactions: Tsepz and Geert76

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm supposed to be going to the zoo next Wednesday (weather dependant) so the P30 Pro will be a nice phone to have with me to test out that zoom function on all the animals!

Hope I like the phone as I am enjoying my S10+.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
What if you're only able to visit a certain place when it's dark and you just want to get a decent picture without it coming out terrible? I'd rather have the option than not. Surely you can appreciate it's pretty clever what it can achieve?
This...
Was in Northern Norway during Christmas - dark most of the time outdoor - Pictures with flash on the iphone were not convincing enough IMHO
[doublepost=1554204111][/doublepost]
That's one travesty I'd really like.
At least as an 'option' for those who want it!

Reactions: michael9891

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I went with the crystal one.
I love the Prism White on my S10+ and the crystal looks like it only more enhanced.

I was tempted by black too but thought it would be too much of a fingerprint magnet.

I'm supposed to be going to the zoo next Wednesday (weather dependant) so the P30 Pro will be a nice phone to have with me to test out that zoom function on all the animals!

Hope I like the phone as I am enjoying my S10+.
Congratulations!!!! :D

You lucky SOD! I wanted that Crystal, but they only had Aurora, which I still like but I prefer the Crystal.

You will thoroughly enjoy this beast, the Camera is such a pleasure to use and the new File System seems to to have sped up a lot of things from the Mate 20 Pro which was already fast.

I think you will love it. The device is a tad taller and heavier than the S10+, while being a bit more narrow. Very well balanced in hand, I am loving it's more blocky feel, a tad reminiscent of Galaxy Note devices.
721da3066dac3ad47f6b405b073a0320.jpg

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

They clme through just 4-5 mins after... Its better than it was

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
thanks!

WhatsApp
Texts
Emails
SofaScore

They come through straight away

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Congratulations!

When are you getting the phone?
Friday and I already had the day booked off.
[doublepost=1554207586][/doublepost]
This...
Was in Northern Norway during Christmas - dark most of the time outdoor - Pictures with flash on the iphone were not convincing enough IMHO
[doublepost=1554204111][/doublepost]
At least as an 'option' for those who want it!
Thinking about it more, taking pics of pets indoors. I never use a flash with pets because I don't want to hurt their eyes.

Reactions: Tsepz and Geert76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.