Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Maybe the low light performance of this will spur Apple to fix it's $hitty cameras that can't even take decent pics in moderate lighting, much less low lighting. I can't count the number of pics of my kids that I have taken on Apple phones that are all grainy and crappy, yes I'm bitter. I've lately taken to having both my XL3 and my XS max on me and take comparison pics and the XL3 just blows it away when the lighting is medium to dark. I can't even imagine Huawei blowing away even the XL3, which from what I understand is exactly the case.

Reactions: Tsepz and jamezr

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Maybe the low light performance of this will spur Apple to fix it's $hitty cameras that can't even take decent pics in moderate lighting, much less low lighting. I can't count the number of pics of my kids that I have taken on Apple phones that are all grainy and crappy, yes I'm bitter. I've lately taken to having both my XL3 and my XS max on me and take comparison pics and the XL3 just blows it away when the lighting is medium to dark. I can't even imagine Huawei blowing away even the XL3, which from what I understand is exactly the case.
Yep. The P30 Pro gathers any bit of light, and uses it to its advantage and the best part is that it does it in a much shorter space of time vs. The 3XL. I never thiught Phone Cameras would make it this far in terms of low-light photography, at least not without a Xenon Flash.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Having used it for about 24 hours, I'm undecided between this and my S10+. The S10 feels more polished and smooth. The P30 P Isn't as smooth when scrolling through web pages and also feels slower in the UI overall. The P30 has more "soul" though doesn't feel as sterile.

As for now I'm keeping them both but to be totally honest in the long run I'll probably be keeping the S10+

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yep. The P30 Pro gathers any bit of light, and uses it to its advantage and the best part is that it does it in a much shorter space of time vs. The 3XL. I never thiught Phone Cameras would make it this far in terms of low-light photography, at least not without a Xenon Flash.

Yeah I had read that the exposure needed is almost instant, versus a few seconds of holding the XL3 without moving. That's huge when you are dealing with kids.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Underrated part of this phone seems to be battery life

Do they get updates quicker as well?
Yep, I am getting +9hours SOT consistently with 24 hours off charge. This is between yesterday and this morning:

Take note I have my Display Brightness set at 70%.
881d0f5b352653247af4f69afc961c99.jpg
e21091fa71eeac55cfdbde4590cde511.jpg
a1036142da77ebecb85b5b69c7735030.jpg
dec8a6760436edb63b11aa60e08acc33.jpg

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Obviously the Huawei is going to be better at zooming and night shots, but overall I'd say the Samsung takes a better picture. And while the difference might not be massive, I prefer the wider angle of the Samsung.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Obviously the Huawei is going to be better at zooming and night shots, but overall I'd say the Samsung takes a better picture. And while the difference might not be massive, I prefer the wider angle of the Samsung.

From all the videos I’ve seen I have felt the opposite. The Huawei takes truer to life photos in terms of colour, whereas Samsung still notches up the saturation too much.
Great for social media, but for true to life colours I found Huawei was a lot stronger.

I used my S10 to snap some photos at my sisters birthday meal and we were in a fairly low lit restaurant and I really wasn’t impressed with how the photos turned out. This is where the P30 should be much better.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
From all the videos I’ve seen I have felt the opposite. The Huawei takes truer to life photos in terms of colour, whereas Samsung still notches up the saturation too much.
Great for social media, but for true to life colours I found Huawei was a lot stronger.

I used my S10 to snap some photos at my sisters birthday meal and we were in a fairly low lit restaurant and I really wasn’t impressed with how the photos turned out. This is where the P30 should be much better.
One thing I know I should keep in mind is that while I preferred the Samsung in this particular set of comparisons, I’m sure I’d feel the opposite in different situations. The Huawei’s portrait mode (front or back) did definitely blow out the background too much in this video.

Someone in the comments said the Huawei would be getting an update to the camera on launch. Does anyone know if this is true? Or maybe those on here who’ve got there’s already got an update when they set it up?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
One thing I know I should keep in mind is that while I preferred the Samsung in this particular set of comparisons, I’m sure I’d feel the opposite in different situations. The Huawei’s portrait mode (front or back) did definitely blow out the background too much in this video.

Someone in the comments said the Huawei would be getting an update to the camera on launch. Does anyone know if this is true? Or maybe those on here who’ve got there’s already got an update when they set it up?
The Huawei is indeed getting an update to the Camera, it will bring Dual Video amongst other things.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My P30 Pro just got dispatched.
Still not sure on whether to just stick with the XR, but the camera capabilities of the P30 Pro is such a draw.

I guess I want to see how the curved screen is on this as I am not a lover of a curved screen and that was the most annoying thing on my S10+

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah, going by that video, the S10 has better stability and much better video quality.

The Zoom on the P30 is crazy good.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ

Great comparison. Just goes to show much more important the processing and aperture is vs pixel game. The video quality and stability is clearly much better on the Samsung. Colors are more natural in most cases too. I'm impressed how well the S10+ performs. I would agree that it is the better camera.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It arrived.

I'm in work now but managed to take delivery before heading into the office.

Phone feels fantastic in hand. Prefer the feel to the S10 as it is thicker, which I think was needed.

One huge issue straight away - Lawnchair Launcher keeps crashing on it.
I downloaded it as soon as I turned it on and it gave me errors 3 times in the space of 15 minutes recommending I uninstall.

I will try Lean Launcher when I get in and if that doesn't work, may have to try a Pixel Launcher APK.
I literally will not tolerate anything other than a Pixel look with Android these days.

The 'curve' of the screen is different to Samsung as the actual screen doesn't curve round, it just looks like it does.
This is a great thing for me as it means no more false touches! (Hopefully).

The breathing crystal colour is absolutely gorgeous - makes the S10 Prism White look a bit boring in comparisson.

Early hands on though, the S10 is easily the more polished device. Does underline how far Samsung have come since their early days.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
@Aneres11 Did yours come with the soft case? Just took delivery of mine and disappointed not to get one like some have.

I actually didn't check as I forgot and then had to dash to work.

I remember my P20 Pro never got one in the box last year, but when I picked a regular P20 up shortly after, that did.

I'm expecting to not get one, but it is not good if some are getting it and others are not.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
What a joke.
I say this, but then I'd have it on for all of 10 minutes and then miss that naked feel.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I wanted to use the case becaue I don't know if I'll be keeping it yet. I never bought one as I was expecting one in the box.

Straight away I can see the S10+ display is better and that's with the S10+ being on the same FHD+ setting. Seems much more crisp.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I picked one up 1st thing this morning after getting a hands on in my local Carphone Warehouse.

Initial impressions are excellent. I much prefer the gestures on the P30 Pro to the S10 ones. The Huawei gestures have definitely improved since I first used them on my Mate 20 pro, they're definitely smoother and more IOS like which is a good thing.

The screen, while not as sharp as the S10 Plus is definitely not a deal breaker, not for me any way. Its a Samsung panel if I recall and imo its better than the higher resolution one in the Mate 20 Pro.

Lastly, the notch! I like it, as far as notches go it's pretty unobtrusive and imo it is miles better than the hole punch.

The only negative I can think of so far is the lack of stereo speakers, however, I don't think there is a phone yet that has it all.

Will report back later after a little time with it.

Reactions: Geert76

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I wanted to use the case becaue I don't know if I'll be keeping it yet. I never bought one as I was expecting one in the box.

Straight away I can see the S10+ display is better and that's with the S10+ being on the same FHD+ setting. Seems much more crisp.

The screen not being as good was pretty much a given. I think every tech YouTube review I watched and read all compared it directly with the S10+ and said that it wasn't as good.

For me, their display is easier to calibrate to my tastes. Huawei's 'vivid' screen is also much nicer on the eyes. Samsung's is horrendous to me and I kept it on natural for the whole time I had it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.