Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
I have to stop looking at P30Pro videos and read forums, so close to ordering one... Just got my S10+. Might have to order and see which one to keep.

edit: Also free watch GT Active if bought before April 7.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I was waiting until I decide if I'm getting one before buying the nano SD. Typical it's gone from £40 this morning to £53. No doubt Amazon will increase the price further knowing a new phone is out soon.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I read that the screen isn't amazing compared to the S10?
It hasn't been described as a bad screen or anything, just not up to snuff compared to Samsung panels.

I love the screen on my S10. I am crazy tempted by this P30 though... Send help.
Yeah screen wise doesn't seem as strong but that camera is impressive. People talk pixel but this is the standard now

Might be why Samsung are working on better camera for the note 10

Reactions: Aneres11

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Wow, that zoom! You don't even realise what you are zooming in on until you see it.

I'm so tempted. But I have just bought my S10 Plus ceramic!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Wow, that zoom! You don't even realise what you are zooming in on until you see it.

I'm so tempted. But I have just bought my S10 Plus ceramic!
That's the crazy part, it's like Digital Binoculars , by the time you hit 10x Hybrid Zoom you are now seeing things that would be difficult to identify with the naked eye, at 50x zoom you are then seeing things you probably should not be seeing at all

It's pure insanity. On a regular day, I'll be perfectly fine with 5x Optical zoo.

I am loving how versatile this camera is.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Pre ordered the 128gb Pro in breathing crystal. I haven’t looked at them in person yet, so might change it to the aurora blue when I go for a look tomorrow/Tuesday. Although the place I bought it from is out of stock of the blue and it was a one time £50 off code.

Reactions: Tsepz and Geert76

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Pre ordered the 128gb Pro in breathing crystal. I haven’t looked at them in person yet, so might change it to the aurora blue when I go for a look tomorrow/Tuesday. Although the place I bought it from is out of stock of the blue and it was a one time £50 off code.

I think the crystal looks better anyway.
I'm toying with the idea myself, just not sure as I do like my S10. I think the only thing I dislike about the S10 is the curved screen as even with Edge Touch, I'm getting lots of false touches.

With the P30 Pro being curved too I wonder if it'll be the same issue given they're both a similar size. Curved screens are not my preference really.

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
I'm toying with the idea myself, just not sure as I do like my S10. I think the only thing I dislike about the S10 is the curved screen as even with Edge Touch, I'm getting lots of false touches.

With the P30 Pro being curved too I wonder if it'll be the same issue given they're both a similar size. Curved screens are not my preference really.
since you just got your S10 you could just wait for the mate30 pro. the mate series is usually better device than the pro series.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

I’m still unsure about it to be honest, I do really like my S10+. I wanted to get my order in before they sold out at Very, can always change my mind or return. The Amber sunrise in 512gb would have been my preferred option. But being impatient and having Friday off work anyway....

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
my mate 20 pro took an update today and oh my god the fingerprint scanner works instantly now. i don't see it getting any faster, i also have a S10 and it's no were as fast as my mate 20 pro anyone eles?

Reactions: Tsepz and MarkX

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
since you just got your S10 you could just wait for the mate30 pro. the mate series is usually better device than the pro series.

Mate series comes out around the same time as Pixel 4 / new iPhone, so any phone other than them 2 rarely gets a look in then.

I also didn't think the Mate 20 camera was a massive improvement over the P20, whereas this P30 seems to be much better with that zoom function.

Think I'm going to put my pre-order in today.

Reactions: phoneme and Geert76

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
my mate 20 pro took an update today and oh my god the fingerprint scanner works instantly now. i don't see it getting any faster, i also have a S10 and it's no were as fast as my mate 20 pro anyone eles?
This must be the same software they did in the P30 Pro, because it's Fingerprint reader is also ludicrously fast.

Reactions: phoneme

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
@michael9891 I received a reply from Wonda that they will provide a 12 month warranty if I order a P30 Pro from them. This is good news! They'll have them in stock for international shipping mid-April apparently.

You mentioned they provide Asian variants of the phone. Does anyone know the difference between an Asian variant and an EU variant?

@Tsepz Thanks for the awesome information! Very comprehensive.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
@noobinator It's usually just different configurations (no 256gb in the UK with the P30 Pro) or they work on slightly different bands tailored to that region. But I think I'm right in saying that as long as as a phone covers one of the several LTE bands your network has, it'll work. And phones from all regions cover so many now it's rarely a problem.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
The night time capabilities of this phone really is a step above other smartphones.
Indeed, it is absolutely insane how the phone finds light where we don't see it.

The challenge of low-light photography is dead, and Huawei killed it
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/1/18290215/huawei-p30-pro-camera-night-low-light-mode-photos
6b57326ffe8765133425ae63bfd702a9.jpg

Reactions: Klyster

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
The camera on this phone gets more impressive everyday!

I'm still going to wait to see what the Note 10 brings, and maybe the Mate series too but at least I'll be spoiled for choice.
This is a great year for android phones.
The only downside for me if I choose a Huawei phone will be losing my Frontier watch, which I really like, or maybe it will work still, I dont know.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Aaaaand it's ordered.
These damn YouTube videos teasing me.

I love my S10, but I loved my P20 last year so I know I'll like this. Camera looks much better than the S10, and I can set it up to run just like my S10 does with the launcher I use, so all should be good.

Thta free Sonos speaker is a great freebie.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So what's their main flagship? P30 or the mate?

Camera makes this tempting to try out but I'm happy with my S10 plus and I plan to get note 10 but camera on this is incredible

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Camera makes this tempting to try out but I'm happy with my S10 plus and I plan to get note 10 but camera on this is incredible

I'd class them more like the S and Note lines. Minus the stylus, obviously.

The Mate comes later and often adds bits to the mix that the P series doesnt have.
Really, it's like they have two flagships in the year rather than one being the main over the other.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013

As Aneres said, it's a lot like the S and Note series, but there is a little bit more to it.

The Pseries are generally all about Camera, they always set the tone for Huawei's Cameras each year, and also bring the features from the previous years Mate phone.

The Mate series is all about the new SoC, Display and the latest stuff from their R&D (e.g. Wireless Reverse Charge and 40W/55W Supercharging), hence their first Foldable also falls under the Mate series.

The P30 Pro has set quite the tone this year even more so than the P20 Pro did last year, so I am truly excited about the Mate 30 Pro, because it will bring the P30 Pro Camera with a whole lot of other brand new stuff.

I cannot believe how much has been packed in this P30 Pro, it feels more like a Mate series, I have actually packed away my Mate 20 Pro, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.