Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mohamed Said

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
I am working on a new Internet suite for mac os 9, Based on (Classilla).
features I will add + Classilla features
1- taps bar on the top (as default).
2- make noscript work only on (http) pages.
3- built in flash.
4 - make browser more lite on cpu

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
3- built in flash.

Like putting a man on the moon using only surviving rockets and technology from the 1960s. Good luck, you will need it.

Reactions: alex_free

Applicator

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2021
Germany
sounds great, but why would you integrate flash?
I can only speak for myself, but I can't remember the last time I needed flash, plus it's been officially discontinued in December '20

Reactions: alex_free

Mohamed Said

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
sounds great, but why would you integrate flash?
I can only speak for myself, but I can't remember the last time I needed flash, plus it's been officially discontinued in December '20
There's alot of people like me want play old flash games.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
3- built in flash.

Looking forward to your progress!

I feel like work toward increased security protocol support (and certificate updates) would be the most beneficial as many sites no longer load at all.

Another thought; I wonder how much work would be required to Carbonize Classilla to make it run natively on both OS 9 and OS X (obviously pre-Tiger).

I was not involved in Carbon development, it was a bit over my head in terms of Mac dev.

Is there anyone out there who was involved in the OS 9 > Carbon > OS X migration back in the day who could contribute?

Mohamed Said

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
Looking forward to your progress!

I feel like work toward increased security protocol support (and certificate updates) would be the most beneficial as many sites no longer load at all.

Another thought; I wonder how much work would be required to Carbonize Classilla to make it run natively on both OS 9 and OS X (obviously pre-Tiger).

I was not involved in Carbon development, it was a bit over my head in terms of Mac dev.

Is there anyone out there who was involved in the OS 9 > Carbon > OS X migration back in the day who could contribute?
Classilla work on early mac osX verisons 10.1.5 to 10.3.9 (under classic mode)

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
3- built in flash.
Make sure it will accept the new standards of TLS - I will support this if this can be done.. OS 9 should be able to render Wikipedia but so far it doesn’t !

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
For https, it would probably be best to set up a proxy on another machine. As I've been doing here for somewhat-less-old OS's, except with the proxy running on a router or a Raspberry Pi instead of on the same computer.

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020
Man this would be awesome! Currently I use web rendering proxy for os9 browsing, but it'd be sweet to directly browse sites on os9. What are your target platforms out of curiosity? Are you mainly focusing on the G3,G4, etc cpus or should it work just as well on old world macs with the 603/4 cpus?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Man this would be awesome! Currently I use web rendering proxy for os9 browsing, but it'd be sweet to directly browse sites on os9. What are your target platforms out of curiosity? Are you mainly focusing on the G3,G4, etc cpus or should it work just as well on old world macs with the 603/4 cpus?
How did you do this ? What app to do this with ?

Mat MacOS9

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
I am one of the users still working exclusively with a Mac OS 9. So a new webbrowser is highly appreciated. What is missing most at the moment are new certificates, so that ssl is working again, which is the biggest showstopper recently.

Also, if I may ask, Classilla is already a open source project, so why not simply starting committing code and perhaps working together with Cameron Kaiser?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.