Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovalking

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2021
Good luck with the project.
Any Classilla speed-ups and bug-fixes would be much appreciated here....

Mohamed Said

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
I am one of the users still working exclusively with a Mac OS 9. So a new webbrowser is highly appreciated. What is missing most at the moment are new certificates, so that ssl is working again, which is the biggest showstopper recently.

Also, if I may ask, Classilla is already a open source project, so why not simply starting committing code and perhaps working together with Cameron Kaiser?
Thanks for idea, the source code is coming soon.
There's problem in github branches, I still working on fix it

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I am one of the users still working exclusively with a Mac OS 9. So a new webbrowser is highly appreciated. What is missing most at the moment are new certificates, so that ssl is working again, which is the biggest showstopper recently.

Also, if I may ask, Classilla is already a open source project, so why not simply starting committing code and perhaps working together with Cameron Kaiser?
ATTENTION !!!! ACHTUNG, UVAHA ! Cameron Kaiser and I had a virtual discussion tonight pertaining to the future of Classila. I have very good news to report - He explained to me that he has no intensions of abandoning Classia and it currently looking for anyone who can program and add to the classila web browser with the surge in interest with OS 9. Steve Jobs made a mistake by calling too soon for the death of OS 9. So, this is great news for those out there who want to contribute to classila's updates. Though, i CAN'T program myself, I have been given charge to suggest improvements to classila to make it a wonderful browser again and to make OS 9 GREAT AGAIN.

We need new certificates and the implementation of new security TLS, so we all can view wikipedia and other sites that poorly render. With OS 9 being a light OS, there is a greater potential to possibly even produce an OS 9.2.3 update to make it even better and refined. So, to all those who say classila is dead - its not, just that many currently use 104FOX and that is what Kaiser is concentrating on, but according to the 104fox developer, he stated that classila can be made to work and render the modern web, given OS 9's non-bloat compared to os x.

Reactions: MysticCow

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Good news, but this doesn't mean that I will stop developing my internet suite.

Not at all! We need MORE choice for 10.4, 10.5, and OS 9. But I would suggest asking Cameron what could be better refined in Classilla. If you release it separately from Classilla, fine. You're releasing the source code, so it'll be easy to graft your changes into Classilla proper.

Mat MacOS9

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
Very good news! I really would suggest to think about joining forces as far as possible. Working together at a project always is motivating, and helping each other is often a push, even for coding tasks. As well reinventing the wheel is often not necessary or thinking about problems is often more easy if you can share thought with others. Of course it is fine if you do whatever you plan to do, but perhaps there is now a real chance, with two coders, to catch up with a recent webbrowser! Our hardware would be able to render every – even bloated and modern – webpage. It's the software, and there just the "coding manpower" that is missing!

Mohamed Said

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
Very good news! I really would suggest to think about joining forces as far as possible. Working together at a project always is motivating, and helping each other is often a push, even for coding tasks. As well reinventing the wheel is often not necessary or thinking about problems is often more easy if you can share thought with others. Of course it is fine if you do whatever you plan to do, but perhaps there is now a real chance, with two coders, to catch up with a recent webbrowser! Our hardware would be able to render every – even bloated and modern – webpage. It's the software, and there just the "coding manpower" that is missing!
Iam not reinventing the wheel, Iam working on develop my internet suite on the latest version of classilla.

Mat MacOS9

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
I just meant that collaboration always lowers the need of reinventing the wheel (in future), not that you are reinvent the wheel right now! ;)
No problem at all, like MysticCow already pointed out.
Looking foreward to see your work, and ready for extensive testing! :)

Reactions: Mohamed Said

Riku7

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
I don't even have a Mac OS 9 (I do have another oldie not quite as old), but this makes me very happy anyway: I don't feel great about the current direction of computers, and it brings me a sense of calm to see that there are still people out there keeping old systems alive and relevant. I've passively flirted with the idea of looking up a Mac that runs 9 one day, and seeing an active community helps.

Good luck!

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I don't even have a Mac OS 9 (I do have another oldie not quite as old), but this makes me very happy anyway: I don't feel great about the current direction of computers, and it brings me a sense of calm to see that there are still people out there keeping old systems alive and relevant. I've passively flirted with the idea of looking up a Mac that runs 9 one day, and seeing an active community helps.

Good luck!
Anything is possible.. while i don't program much, I can suggest what can be done to help OS 9 become usable once again. We need to get OS 9 able to run all websites.. Youtube ? Maybe under mobile agent.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
Anything is possible.. while i don't program much, I can suggest what can be done to help OS 9 become usable once again. We need to get OS 9 able to run all websites.. Youtube ? Maybe under mobile agent.
Oh I would love a browser that knew how to ban all the Google Analytics and other heavy stuff that works in the background, while also replacing all the interactive modern trash with static placeholders; What wouldn't I give, to never see another infinite scroll or video background or content that appears out of nowhere with a bouncy animation. Ahh, the internet would be peaceful and so lightweight again.

Btw, the difficulty to browse the internet, the lack of online multimedia or social media platforms is one of the main reasons why I still use a PowerPC: Peace is a feature in itself.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Oh I would love a browser that knew how to ban all the Google Analytics and other heavy stuff that works in the background, while also replacing all the interactive modern trash with static placeholders; What wouldn't I give, to never see another infinite scroll or video background or content that appears out of nowhere with a bouncy animation. Ahh, the internet would be peaceful and so lightweight again.

Btw, the difficulty to browse the internet, the lack of online multimedia or social media platforms is one of the main reasons why I still use a PowerPC: Peace is a feature in itself.
I agree. Well, in my discussion w/ Kaiser he told me Classila is not abandoned, but he suggests that it should be reworked, so that the correct TLS's are in place with up to date certs. He would love to work on it, but 104fox is his main concern, as there are many PPC users who now use Leopard than os 9. But, I am a realist and believe OS 9 can be made great again !

Reactions: Riku7

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC

Modern web is pretty much malware, I don't see Facebook, Google, or Youtube offering me anything it didn't 10 years ago, now it just takes 10x my system resources to run a simple web page.

What pisses me off is, they don't seem to care when they are serving you fraudulent ads that anyone looking at them know are too good to be true. Mostly Facebook, no matter how many times I report the ads as scam or misleading, but I've also had them show up in Google search results marked as "ads".

Reactions: Slix

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Modern web is pretty much malware, I don't see Facebook, Google, or Youtube offering me anything it didn't 10 years ago, now it just takes 10x my system resources to run a simple web page.

What pisses me off is, they don't seem to care when they are serving you fraudulent ads that anyone looking at them know are too good to be true. Mostly Facebook, no matter how many times I report the ads as scam or misleading, but I've also had them show up in Google search results marked as "ads".
Yeah, unfortunately ublock origin is pretty much a requirement for browsing these days. The amount of crap when I use a computer without it is amazing.

Reactions: MysticCow

JohnAJ

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2021
Sweden

I've personally found that the archive.is archiving service does precisely this. It takes a minute or two to save a page, but when it's done, it's a completely static version. I always use it for Medium articles... I just wish the source code was available for it.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
I've personally found that the archive.is archiving service does precisely this. It takes a minute or two to save a page, but when it's done, it's a completely static version. I always use it for Medium articles... I just wish the source code was available for it.
Interesting page, haven't seen this one before. I wonder what that's like from the point of view of copyright holders!
Also, does it save pages that are public at the time or also pages that aren't? The fact that you can search for archived snapshots is also strange: If you can save pages that aren't public, and if you can search for any snapshots you like, doesn't that mean that people can basically save and share quite private information too? Like content that was only meant for a specific limited audience.

They're graphical copies without any clickable links (or files) like archive.org does? And even on archive.org of course it's a random chance whether those links still lead somewhere. On archive.org pages, many images are also missing, and now that I think about it, it might be because they were linked from an external site that wasn't archived.

Exactly. I hate how heavy everything is, and all this heaviness comes from things that don't serve a functional purpose but do contribute to sensory overload. I was excited to upgrade Safari when they came up with things like "reduce motion" and "never autoplay" but it's all still coming through pretty efficiently...
Honestly, infinite scroll was one of the biggest cancers of this era because you can't go back to anything, and if you keep scrolling, you'll have a mammoth sized dynamic page open, eventually causing a memory crash. Pages that have stuff at the bottom are the funniest because you want to read what's in there and click a link there but the bastard keeps auto-loading more content whenever you scroll down and catch a glimpse of the bottom bar!
So, if big tech is taken out, we can decide how the web should look.
By now it won't be enough: Now we also have this new generation of graphic designers who are doing design gimmicks first, function last (or ignored). It's insane because accessible design is a rather well documented area, but accessibility and function aren't trendy right now. All of that autoplay stuff and dynamic effects are just plain hostile especially to users with abnormal cognitive function or sensory processing.

Last edited:
Reactions: repairedCheese

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018

None of them offer anything good - I hate Facebook and it’s CEO for ideological reasons.

JohnAJ

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2021
Sweden
Interesting page, haven't seen this one before. I wonder what that's like from the point of view of copyright holders!
Also, does it save pages that are public at the time or also pages that aren't? The fact that you can search for archived snapshots is also strange: If you can save pages that aren't public, and if you can search for any snapshots you like, doesn't that mean that people can basically save and share quite private information too? Like content that was only meant for a specific limited audience.

Well, the same thing goes for archive.org. But if it's not public content, why put it on a public web server?

They're graphical copies without any clickable links (or files) like archive.org does? And even on archive.org of course it's a random chance whether those links still lead somewhere. On archive.org pages, many images are also missing, and now that I think about it, it might be because they were linked from an external site that wasn't archived.

No, as far as I can tell, they're real HTML pages with clickable links and selectable text. At least if I remember correctly. I suspect that external images are saved as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.