Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doscore

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
Some would argue (myself included) that the very benefit of retro platforms is the lack of social media platforms.
oh I agree and thats why it never got finished but I frequent the old net for example but I wish it had a few more features.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Some would argue (myself included) that the very benefit of retro platforms is the lack of social media platforms.
I don't need a retro platform to not use social media. When I did use them I was actually using G4s and G5s anyway, so this doesn't really hold water. Now maybe, but not 2010 to 2017 when I was on Facebook/Twitter.

That said, I have been chasing online interaction since I was 14 in 1985. Bulletin Board Systems then and online forums starting in the 00s. As a teen it was a way to go beyond my rural non-existence and connect.

As an adult and a member of Gen-X I am fully able to tune out when I don't wish to engage.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
there's nothing wrong with clasilla and current applications on os9, if you want to make something for the old systems might I suggest a new (old world) platform?a few years ago I was toying around with a video alternative website for any old system that can support embedded videos (flv, mp4, avi etc). (vediio.com kinda not working now)

the plan was to have a retro social web platform that would allow users to upload videos, mp3's, comment, irc and share content based on technology of that time and/or era.
There is Cornica but that is curated, so you can spend a colossal amount of time editing, transcoding and uploading videos for them never to be seen.

I agree - a low-end, low resource social media site would be great - there have been recent attempts but they are simple in design/approach but inaccessible to old computers.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I mean like I kinda started but it got messy and I gave up lol. it played videos and mp3's perfect on my old g4's and g5's.. even did some on windows 3.1 lol.
I guess the AOL Rebirth project is kind of one the same level. I want to try it out.

doscore

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
as a kid who grew up in the irc, msn messenger, aol kind of era the internet in terms of social media wasn't anything like today so I wouldn't want to "demake" fb as such for older computers that wouldn't be the intention.

my idea for "vediio.com" originally was a bit more like YouTube in 2005 (very basic design) with videos, images, sound, chat/forums and flash games.

the whole site was going to be html, php and sql which I had done some testing and worked in win 3.1 and in os9 quite well. embedded players worked great for older platforms of the era.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
as a kid who grew up in the irc, msn messenger, aol kind of era the internet in terms of social media wasn't anything like today so I wouldn't want to "demake" fb as such for older computers that wouldn't be the intention.

my idea for "vediio.com" originally was a bit more like YouTube in 2005 (very basic design) with videos, images, sound, chat/forums and flash games.

the whole site was going to be html, php and sql which I had done some testing and worked in win 3.1 and in os9 quite well. embedded players worked great for older platforms of the era.
The extent of my website building skills stops with WordPress so excuse me if this sounds stupid.
In theory, could you build off of an old version of Facebook? Use the HTML from the old pages archived on the Internet Archive.

doscore

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
so this is my plan... its kinda up now but not fully functional it needs work but the first attachment is YouTube 2006 which is a very basic layout but its fine we're looking for functionality and performance over bling.

Vediio retro social platform. (until a better name is available?? ideas?)

### ABOUT ################################################################################################################################

Olde world is a very basic HTML & PHP based social platform for retro computers. the website will use a SQL database to manage users and content. Olde world will allow users to upload videos, images, make comments and be moderated by an admin group of users. all content is shared on the main "news feed" in random order. users can also search for content based on the descriptions of the uploaded content.

bascially like youtube without channels or paid advertising.

### DEVELOPMENT ################################################################################################################################

the website needs to appear basic in appearence, functional in operation on the supported systems. it doesnt need to look modern just function well on old systems is the priority.

home, upload, login/profile [search bar]

#TESTING:
you will need a working copy of win 3.x and win9x to test the website out via virtual machine. i will conduct testing of this on os9. (maybe if anyone has the net on other systems they can contribute?)

#TESTING 1.1 support the following browsers & operating systems:

internet explorer 4.x (win 3.x +) & OS9
clasilla x.xx (os9+)
Dillo (old linux 2.x+)

## MEDIA support ##########################################################################################################################################
depending on the file type being played the website will have to dynamically load the "player" defined by the format, ie FLV files will require a flash based video player to play a file but MP4 files can be played nativly via quicktime for example on OS9 while WMV files would need windows media player embedded.

all files have a randomly generated file name once uploaded on the server.

# FLASH PLAYER Support:
some video content can support FLV files so we will need some kind of flash player support. I know a lot of people are not keen on flash and security issues but were not really worried about this on older systems are we? lol

# VIDEO support:
all videos will have a link address associated to the file.
Embedded players will mostly only work on newer win9x and os9 platforms.
Avi, mp4, mpeg

# AUDIO support:
mp3, m3u support.

# IMAGE support:
jpeg, jpg, gif and png.

### USER SUPPORT ################################################################################################################################

users can sign up via their email address and the only option they have in their user space or "profile" they can edit the following fields

change email
delete account
add/del/edit files based on title & description

*upload video
title:
file name:
description:
thumbnail:

*upload mp3
title:
file name:
description:

*upload image
title:
file name:
description:

#

# IRC chat support:
the website could use a generic irc chat channel hosted on the server

# COMMENT support:
all comments can be rated + up - down and ? for support if a comment is an issue.

# FORUMS support:
this will need to be a basic forum that can aid as support for users and discussions etc.

### ADMIN SUPPORT #############################################################################################################################
admin can do anything from delete files to change comments or remove content.

### summary & conclusion ###
basically I can do a bunch of the work and ill get some help when needed. if people use it well thats great if people don't well it doesn't matter lol.

any add on ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• youtube-2006.png
    youtube-2006.png
    786.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 10.31.51 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 10.31.51 am.png
    409.6 KB · Views: 64

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Throwing out some name ideas....
RetroSocial
RetroSpace
RetroVision
BifocalVideo

Neat idea. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: B S Magnet
Skill level + ambition ≠ to difficulty + time required.

Once people realize that they do not have the skillset required to match the difficulty and time required of the project, their ambition departs them. Having made bold, public statements they rarely have the desire to return and face the humiliation of their overreach.

So they disappear and as @ww2_1943 stated, their project becomes Vaporware.

It's never smart to make declarative statements when you don't know anything.

I admit the sticking point with, say, me setting up an installer-updater with all the fixes to the SL-PPC project has been (a lack of) time to throw my undivided attention into it. It’s still a thing-to-do, already partly prepared, for which — touch wood — I’ll have a little time freed up come wintertime locally (amazing what being stuck inside will help accomplish).

In addition to other folks on MR who’ve produced stuff voluntarily, one could also add @Wowfunhappy to the above list by @Dronecatcher (though on the Early Intel Macs side of things).

As for the original poster, it’s more likely they quickly realized they bit off far, far more that they could chew — far beyond their technical capabilities — and abandoned it. It’d be not unlike a certain, perma-suspended user making a vow that they’d try to update Classilla themselves with the TLS 1.3 SSL libraries — when pretty much everyone here knows they wouldn’t understand the first thing to go about trying (then again, most of us wouldn’t know, either, but we wouldn’t be so foolhardy to claim we did).

Reactions: eyoungren

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
so this is my plan...
Great idea but I think you should have it fully working before going live - I registered an account this morning and uploaded a video but the whole process was a minefield - sorry, just too many errors to report - however, I was using Safari 4 not Classilla as recommended.

doscore

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
Great idea but I think you should have it fully working before going live - I registered an account this morning and uploaded a video but the whole process was a minefield - sorry, just too many errors to report - however, I was using Safari 4 not Classilla as recommended.
im literally working on it now, should be done in a few hours

Reactions: Dronecatcher

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I admit the sticking point with, say, me setting up an installer-updater with all the fixes to the SL-PPC project has been (a lack of) time to throw my undivided attention into it. It’s still a thing-to-do, already partly prepared, for which — touch wood — I’ll have a little time freed up come wintertime locally (amazing what being stuck inside will help accomplish).

In addition to other folks on MR who’ve produced stuff voluntarily, one could also add @Wowfunhappy to the above list by @Dronecatcher (though on the Early Intel Macs side of things).

As for the original poster, it’s more likely they quickly realized they bit off far, far more that they could chew — far beyond their technical capabilities — and abandoned it. It’d be not unlike a certain, perma-suspended user making a vow that they’d try to update Classilla themselves with the TLS 1.3 SSL libraries — when pretty much everyone here knows they wouldn’t understand the first thing to go about trying (then again, most of us wouldn’t know, either, but we wouldn’t be so foolhardy to claim we did).
You have the skillset to do this stuff though (I do not). So, because of your skillset, even though the time required can be lengthy, the project is entirely within the realm of possibility. A lack of time becomes the reason something isn't done, not "I can't do it."

But people come in and make these claims without having the skillset. They arrogantly think that because they 'believe' or have some small skill they can just crank this thing out in a short amount of time.

I've seen it in this subforum many times, I've seen it IRL all my life. Some people think their skillsets are better than they actually are.

But if we've been around this subforum long enough, we all know who the REAL users are who DO have the ability. Things would have have been done by you guys by now if it was possible - or at least started.

doscore

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
Nothing that has “retro” in it please, I’m so sick of this pseudo-buzzword being thrown around and plastered everywhere! ;)
yeah I can second this. ive always felt strong about things called "beds R us" or "Computers 4 u" kinda things always came off sleazy lol. So NO sorry "Retro" will not be included.

HOWEVER..

I do need some people to create accounts and test our some of the upload features on your systems and let me know if the files upload fine etc. just lemme know what systems you are using.

you won't be able to view them just yet this is just a DB test.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Nothing that has “retro” in it please, I’m so sick of this pseudo-buzzword being thrown around and plastered everywhere! ;)

It’s been the “extreme” of qualifiers since “extreme” fell from favour in the late aughts — namely, as a descriptor whose repetitive re-use nudges the word to lose its meaning. And “retro” nearly always gets it wrong — though I’d say, as computers go, the 8-bit Guy on YT does the descriptor a rare proper service.

Here’s me stuffing the ballot box with votes for BiFocalVideo – which made me spray my morning coffee all over the desk. It’s amazing.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I do need some people to create accounts and test our some of the upload features on your systems and let me know if the files upload fine etc. just lemme know what systems you are using.
This morning on G4 Powerbook with Tiger/Safari 4:

Home page - bad formatting, slow to load, scrolling the page chokes trying to load all the elements.

Login asks for email when it requires username.

Logging in takes you to a confusing file upload page with 2 requesters - one asking for zip only but giving a maximum image size.

To actually upload a video you have to click My Videos.
The requesters ask for a video thumbnail too - ideally this should be done automatically from the uploaded video.
Page froze when I attempted to upload a video.

Clicking on My Account/Account details froze.

The video I successfully uploaded yesterday is no longer in My Videos but is listed in the correct home page video category.
If clicked on a page with 2 oversized Flash video placeholders appears - playing buffers endlessly with no video, only sound.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
But people come in and make these claims without having the skillset. They arrogantly think that because they 'believe' or have some small skill they can just crank this thing out in a short amount of time.
Maybe it’s more naivety than arrogance. When I was like 10, I naively believed I was soon going to be a coding wizard … just because I knew more about computers than the other kids did. Truth is, when I actually started coding I quickly realised it’s not my cup of tea. So much for that. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe it’s more naivety than arrogance. When I was like 10, I naively believed I was soon going to be a coding wizard … just because I knew more about computers than the other kids did. Truth is, when I actually started coding I quickly realised it’s not my cup of tea. So much for that. :)
That is entirely possible.

When I was five I decided I liked the Subaru Brat and that I was going to build one. My dad had some spare tires with rims in the backyard from something so I lined them up. But I quickly realized what I had looked nothing like the Subaru Brat. Later, I opened up a 'restaurant' in our garage using food from the pantry. I figured since I could feed myself I could make some money off it. My mother was extremely unhappy and I only ended up 'serving' my sister.

By the time I was a teen I'd figured out I didn't know anything and so some things became play-acting with friends. My parents smartly rejected funding or supplying anything for the schemes that popped into my head.

By the time I was an adult it became grossly evident that I needed experience at whatever it was I was going to do. I chose graphic design and quite honestly for the first few years my skills sucked. Even now, I'm aware that in comparison to some in my field I lack - although I do believe I have some skills they lack. You talk tech and certain other subjects to most designers and it goes over their head because they are not interested in, nor do they deal with the hardware or production aspects of the tools they use.

But, I think we can recognize (generally) where someone is (age, experience, etc) as they spend time here. I don't say much when I know its young kids eager to help because I don't want to rain on the parade or discourage them. But older people (adults) should know better.

I'd also add that those who have the skillset aren't running around advertising that fact. They don't have to. It generally just becomes apparent. Look at yourself…you've never advertised the fact that you're very good at getting graphical hardware to function in ways you want it to. But I know that if I have a question or concern on that, you'd be one of the first persons I'd ask - because it's evident.

That isn't to say that there aren't new people who come in and show what they are capable of. But where's OP?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.