Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
If you try to replace your AirTag battery with one of Duracell’s premium coated “Child Secure” 2032 batteries, good luck. Because I couldn’t get them to work. I tried 2 different batteries and neither would work. I popped the old battery back in and it immediately sprang to life. The old battery is just low, not dead yet.

Anyway, if it works for you, let me know. But I don’t think these AirTags like whatever coating is applied.

88393979-ED62-475F-8AEC-BE8DB2CE4188.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: seggy and KaliYoni

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I have also had this problem. As I had bought the batteries on the internet I suspected dodgy batteries and bought some others. Thanks for the post.

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
If you try to replace your AirTag battery with one of Duracell’s premium coated “Child Secure” 2032 batteries, good luck. Because I couldn’t get them to work. I tried 2 different batteries and neither would work. I popped the old battery back in and it immediately sprang to life. The old battery is just low, not dead yet.

Anyway, if it works for you, let me know. But I don’t think these AirTags like whatever coating is applied.

View attachment 2035583
You did peel off the adhesive insulator that's on the opposite side to the side shown in the photo you posted?
IMG_3108.JPG

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Lithium coin batteries like the Duracell 2032 can loose quite some voltage charge over time, especially in "higher" temperatures - stored for a year at 25°C will bring it down to 80%. I suggest to measure wether they deliver the required voltage using e.g. a multi/voltmeter (sadly the simple drop test like for AA or AAA to check the charge doesn’t work). The coating has no impact.

EDIT: maybe you got fakes?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I guess if that’s all you have available. I can buy Energizer brand here without the coating so that’s what I get
well, we can get Energizer, Varta, etc. here too... in the old world 🥹 - I actually buy coated batteries because of my little nieces and nephews tend to "explore" my house when on visit. I care of course only about avoiding any discussion with their parents - my sisters and brothers - about »Dear brother, why EXACTLY are you with (insert niece/nephew name here) at the emergency department of our local hospital?!?!!!« … so there is that. 🤓

Reactions: russell_314

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
You did peel off the adhesive insulator that's on the opposite side to the side shown in the photo you posted? View attachment 2035621
Ha! Yeah, I’m sure. However, the Duracell coated batteries don’t have that covering.

The bitter taste comes from an almost invisible clear adhesive that is applied on that side. I had a hard time even getting a photo where it could be seen.

I tried to remove the bitter adhesive with a razor blade and tweezers but I had no luck. It’s almost impossible to get off.

Here’s a closeup photo of the bitter adhesive. It’s not meant to come off and even if you try, you can’t.
C0A23050-5788-47E5-89D8-2D8081252068.jpeg

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
well, we can get Energizer, Varta, etc. here too... in the old world 🥹 - I actually buy coated batteries because of my little nieces and nephews tend to "explore" my house when on visit. I care of course only about avoiding any discussion with their parents - my sisters and brothers - about »Dear brother, why EXACTLY are you with (insert niece/nephew name here) at the emergency department of our local hospital?!?!!!« … so there is that. 🤓
Yeah I understand that. I would just lock them up somewhere safe out of their reach. Most homes have stuff far more dangerous than batteries like prescription medicine. If you can get it to work though then it’s good. I wonder if it could be cleaned off with alcohol or something before you put the battery in?

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
Yeah, that would probably work with about 15 minutes of effort. But I preferred to just spend the $5.50 on another set that was compatible. I bought these off of Amazon and they worked just fine.

Was about to ask if these would work and got my answer. ordering now.

Reactions: lostPod

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
Ha! Yeah, I’m sure. However, the Duracell coated batteries don’t have that covering.

The bitter taste comes from an almost invisible clear adhesive that is applied on that side. I had a hard time even getting a photo where it could be seen.

I tried to remove the bitter adhesive with a razor blade and tweezers but I had no luck. It’s almost impossible to get off.

Here’s a closeup photo of the bitter adhesive. It’s not meant to come off and even if you try, you can’t. View attachment 2035726
Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't aware of those. 👍

Sype10

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
Glad I found this post I too was having no luck with the Duracell. I had a rotary tool at hand with a carbide burr in it. Scuffed the batteries up a bit and now they work fine.

• Love
Reactions: lostPod

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Glad I found this post I too was having no luck with the Duracell. I had a rotary tool at hand with a carbide burr in it. Scuffed the batteries up a bit and now they work fine.
Ah, good to know. I was kinda wondering what I was gonna do with these premium Duracell 2032’s that cost me $12 at Lowes Hardware. The more I think about how expensive they were, the more motivated i am to make them work. I’m gonna get my Dremel out and use a steel wool attachment to rub off that coating.

Reactions: Tenkaykev

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wonder what it is about the AirTags. One worked fine in my car fob, except for the fact I put it in the wrong way the first time :)

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Wonder what it is about the AirTags. One worked fine in my car fob, except for the fact I put it in the wrong way the first time :)
It has to do with where Apple put the metal contact for the negative side of the battery in the AirTag, near the edge. That happens to be where Duracell is putting the bitter coating, and leaving the center open. (You can see the bitter coating ring in one of the OP's pics.) Most other devices have the negative contact in the center of the battery, not off towards the side like Apple did.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I bought some of these today, went to about 4 different places until i found the 2032's, but i'd forgot about this thread.

When i got the battery out my heart sunk a little as the packaging was not as in your face as the OP's, a tiny little baby head in the corner. Anyway i peeled the sticker off the back and put it in and it didn't work at first. Took it out and tried again and it worked....and yes..i did lick it...disqusting 😄

• Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I bought some of these today, went to about 4 different places until i found the 2032's, but i'd forgot about this thread.

When i got the battery out my heart sunk a little as the packaging was not as in your face as the OP's, a tiny little baby head in the corner. Anyway i peeled the sticker off the back and put it in and it didn't work at first. Took it out and tried again and it worked....and yes..i did lick it...disqusting 😄
I keep thinking of that part in Coneheads where Beldar cleaned the spark plug by swishing it in his mouth, but with an AirTag, and then it works perfectly.

• Haha
Reactions: Grayburn

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts

View attachment 2035583
Regardless of what type of battery it is, Duracell’s batteries have become infamous for leaking. They went to crap after Berkshire Hathaway acquired them in November 2014.

Energizer is much more superior in just about every single way.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Just get a wet wipe or damp cloth and roughly (apply pressure) wipe the surface where the coating is, works every time to remove the coating. I bought a load of these Duracell 2032, not realising they had this coating. Replaced 4 AirTag batteries so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.