Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I have had no problem(s) with these batteries with the coating on the cells. In fact, I using them now. I used china types cheap and Japanese makers with the same coating.:rolleyes:

From what I read you can remove the coating with a cloth until it comes off.

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
Yes we all understand the reason behind it, we just think it’s a stupid idea not backed up by science.

Seriously if you have small children in the home batteries, medication, cleaning supplies, Tide pods, and the like should be kept away. I also understand children can be ‘crafty’, keep an eye on them.

Give me a choice. Same thing which prescription medication. Has child safe bottles actually saved a life ? What is the danger of swallowing a button cell ? Does coating it with bitters really help if I just shove it in and swallow ? Is this an inconvenient solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?

My kids are grown up, so there are no children in my home, yet if I get a prescription filled, the law requires a child safety cap. Imagine your 90 year old grandma trying to open her arthritis medication. Mine lived to be 98.

Don’t get me started on the shutters inside electrical outlets.

Sorry if this thread has been derailed, bit the bitters on the battery appear to be a ‘feel good’ solution to a problem that may not exist. Show me the data.
Button cell batteries will perforate the esophagus if you swallow them

SB1500

Suspended
Dec 31, 2021
Not everyone's kids swallow batteries, you know.

(Some of them swallow magnets. lol)
Problem is, you don't even know if yours do or don't until they do.... then you tend to take it a bit more, seriously..

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
While on vacation, I needed to replace the batteries in 2 of my airtags. I bought a set of batteries, took them back to the hotel, and was perplexed that I could not get either airtag to work with the new batteries. After retrying the old batteries, i concluded the batteries must have been old and depleted.

So I went to a little further towards civilization to a CVS. Two more batteries. Same result.

Some searching here, lead me to learn that some brands of coin cell batteries have a bitterant added to them that insulates the battery where the airtags make their connection. I went to check, and sure enough. There is a small ring of something on the outer edge of the negative side.

I’m now $30 in on these tourist priced batteries, so I am determined to find a way to make them work. I saw some mention sanding or scratching the coating off. I tried using some scissors to scrape along the edge, but no dice.

Then I realized, its most likely water soluble, right? You need to the bitterant to dissolve on the tongue to be effective. Sure enough, if you take a damp paper towel and rub the negative side for 15 seconds or so, it comes right off. Popped them into the airtags and they worked perfectly.

Hopefully this helps someone else.
When I first read your subject title about battery "bitterants".... I was secretly hoping this was about you LICKING the battery like the toddlers do (hence the reason for bitterants a a deterrent).

Boy I was sadly disappointed.

• Haha
Reactions: dyaka

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
While on vacation, I needed to replace the batteries in 2 of my airtags. I bought a set of batteries, took them back to the hotel, and was perplexed that I could not get either airtag to work with the new batteries. After retrying the old batteries, i concluded the batteries must have been old and depleted.

So I went to a little further towards civilization to a CVS. Two more batteries. Same result.

Some searching here, lead me to learn that some brands of coin cell batteries have a bitterant added to them that insulates the battery where the airtags make their connection. I went to check, and sure enough. There is a small ring of something on the outer edge of the negative side.

I’m now $30 in on these tourist priced batteries, so I am determined to find a way to make them work. I saw some mention sanding or scratching the coating off. I tried using some scissors to scrape along the edge, but no dice.

Then I realized, its most likely water soluble, right? You need to the bitterant to dissolve on the tongue to be effective. Sure enough, if you take a damp paper towel and rub the negative side for 15 seconds or so, it comes right off. Popped them into the airtags and they worked perfectly.

Thanks a lot! After trying with a new Duracell I thought I was going crazy . Then I found this
Instead of licking, you can also use your spit on a Kleenex and don't electrocute your tongue 😄 and it's instantaneous
Saliva has enzymes that work faster than water to dissolve the bitterant

Last edited:

Christmas

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2020
If you try to replace your AirTag battery with one of Duracell’s premium coated “Child Secure” 2032 batteries, good luck. Because I couldn’t get them to work. I tried 2 different batteries and neither would work. I popped the old battery back in and it immediately sprang to life. The old battery is just low, not dead yet.

Anyway, if it works for you, let me know. But I don’t think these AirTags like whatever coating is applied.

View attachment 2035583
I had the same problem. All I had to do is clean off the battery with rubbing alcohol. Then it worked. A friend of mine had a scales and we put a brand new battery in and it didn’t work. Then I cleaned off the battery with alcohol and put it back in and it worked.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
I got the Costco packs of these Duracell with these coatings. All you have to do is use isopropyl alcohol - the higher the concentration, the easier it is to remove. Spray it on the coin or drench it up well. Use a microfiber cloth and just wipe the cell thoroughly. I recently replaced two AirTags with two of these coated batteries and it didn't work and I thought the batteries were bad until I realize they are the coated type. So after wiping thoroughly with the alcohol it worked flawlessly.

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
Stop buying duracell's. You can get these anywhere. I buy mine from harbor freight for a lot cheaper and yes they work fine

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
you wont believe this, but I find it to be a little bitter.
Well, that's ok. As an analogy grapefruit can be a little bitter, but it is a fruit of choice for many during exquisite brunches. Conclusion: you're in good company ;-)

ccunning

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
One year after your post and you just saved me from trashing a 12 pack of Duracell batteries. I even reached out to Duracell customer support saying I got a bum pack and they sent me a $25 coupon for replacements (Sorry Duracell!)

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Learned this after buying a 12 pack of Duracell batteries from Costco, they kept causing our AirTags to chime as the battery would go in and out. I lost it, returned all the batteries to Costco and ordered a pack of Energizer batteries instead with no coating on them. Worked like a charm.

Kinda silly to think a product's main purpose is being hindered by a "protective" feature because some people don't do a good job keeping dangerous things away from their children.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
a product's main purpose is being hindered by a "protective" feature because some people don't do a good job keeping dangerous things away from their children.

I blame Apple for this design flaw because the bitterant coating is not a new thing. Batteries with the coating "just work" in pretty much every other device and gadget. Apple did not have to use non-standard battery contacts...sadly, it's part of a long pattern of Apple choosing to redesign connectors and components and hurting usability.

avalon68

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2015
I blame Apple for this design flaw because the bitterant coating is not a new thing. Batteries with the coating "just work" in pretty much every other device and gadget. Apple did not have to use non-standard battery contacts...sadly, it's part of a long pattern of Apple choosing to redesign connectors and components and hurting usability.
They don't work in many devices though, so hardly just an apple issue. Thankfully some companies now seem to apply it as a removable sticker which can quickly be peeled off when inserting it, but keeps them bitter if they are just tossed in a drawer or something.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
They don't work in many devices though, so hardly just an apple issue. Thankfully some companies now seem to apply it as a removable sticker which can quickly be peeled off when inserting it, but keeps them bitter if they are just tossed in a drawer or something.
The Duracells with the bitterant have worked in every other device I’ve tried them in.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I had this problem too when I bought Energizer batteries for the airtags. I too discovered this bitterant thing. I ended up buying the same Panasonic batteries the airtags come with. Those worked as the original battery.

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
You think the battery bitterant is bad, try canned air. Bitterant really put a damper on my weekends. ;)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Learned this after buying a 12 pack of Duracell batteries from Costco, they kept causing our AirTags to chime as the battery would go in and out. I lost it, returned all the batteries to Costco and ordered a pack of Energizer batteries instead with no coating on them. Worked like a charm.

Kinda silly to think a product's main purpose is being hindered by a "protective" feature because some people don't do a good job keeping dangerous things away from their children.

I must admit, since I've never had a baby die because battery acid corroded their internal organs, nor have I ever had to go back to Costco to return a $10 pack of batteries, it's hard to decide which scenario our society should work to prevent. How far is it to Costco?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Duracell with updated packaging should work.

71QrkenaWbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: xizdun and EugW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.