Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
If so, works well with IKEA batteries. They are the cheapest where I live

Edit: I don’t recommend them anymore, extremely different capacity even when bought packs the same time over the years :/ same device eats the battery 2-3x faster than before and it’s not device issue as many similar does the same.

If you have Action or Jysk - get their brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: KaliYoni

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
While on vacation, I needed to replace the batteries in 2 of my airtags. I bought a set of batteries, took them back to the hotel, and was perplexed that I could not get either airtag to work with the new batteries. After retrying the old batteries, i concluded the batteries must have been old and depleted.

So I went to a little further towards civilization to a CVS. Two more batteries. Same result.

Some searching here, lead me to learn that some brands of coin cell batteries have a bitterant added to them that insulates the battery where the airtags make their connection. I went to check, and sure enough. There is a small ring of something on the outer edge of the negative side.

I’m now $30 in on these tourist priced batteries, so I am determined to find a way to make them work. I saw some mention sanding or scratching the coating off. I tried using some scissors to scrape along the edge, but no dice.

Then I realized, its most likely water soluble, right? You need to the bitterant to dissolve on the tongue to be effective. Sure enough, if you take a damp paper towel and rub the negative side for 15 seconds or so, it comes right off. Popped them into the airtags and they worked perfectly.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
I just ran into this as well, though I had some other batteries without the bitterant coating I was able to use. I’ve also read using isopropyl alcohol can help with removing the surface, but it’s nice to know water works well, too. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: scrtagntman

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Glad you resolved this. FYI, the bitterant coating on AirTag replacement batteries has been a known issue for a while. Apple updated their AirTag support page last year to tell customers to avoid these batteries.

CR2032 batteries with bitterant coatings might not work with AirTag or other battery-powered products, depending on the alignment of the coating in relation to the battery contacts

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Glad you resolved this. FYI, the bitterant coating on AirTag replacement batteries has been a known issue for a while. Apple updated their AirTag support page last year to tell customers to avoid these batteries.

That's lame. The bitterant is there for a good reason. Apple should have designed the AirTag with this in mind, instead of asking people to buy batteries without this safety feature.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Just lick it off…

I don’t understand why we try to override Natural Selection…

Show the bitterant whose boss and lick it off

The bitterant is a safety feature designed to prevent swallowing in case a child, pet, or incapacitated adult tries to ingest the battery.

Given the popularity of coin and button-sized batteries in modern small electronics, the idea is correct, but perhaps in light of the power issues described by the OP and elsewhere, a better solution is needed.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
The bitterant is a safety feature designed to prevent swallowing in case a child, pet, or incapacitated adult tries to ingest the battery.

Given the popularity of coin and button-sized batteries in modern small electronics, the idea is correct, but perhaps in light of the power issues described by the OP and elsewhere, a better solution is needed.
Yes we all understand the reason behind it, we just think it’s a stupid idea not backed up by science.

Seriously if you have small children in the home batteries, medication, cleaning supplies, Tide pods, and the like should be kept away. I also understand children can be ‘crafty’, keep an eye on them.

Give me a choice. Same thing which prescription medication. Has child safe bottles actually saved a life ? What is the danger of swallowing a button cell ? Does coating it with bitters really help if I just shove it in and swallow ? Is this an inconvenient solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?

My kids are grown up, so there are no children in my home, yet if I get a prescription filled, the law requires a child safety cap. Imagine your 90 year old grandma trying to open her arthritis medication. Mine lived to be 98.

Don’t get me started on the shutters inside electrical outlets.

Sorry if this thread has been derailed, bit the bitters on the battery appear to be a ‘feel good’ solution to a problem that may not exist. Show me the data.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The above poster sounds like the people who used to argue against seatbelts in cars.

93578919_2826812687426271_4804256941637369856_n.jpg

Anyhow roughly 3000-4000 kids swallow button batteries per year in the US alone, and depending on the situation it can sometimes potentially be a life threatening condition, since in certain locations leakage of the battery can cause serious chemical burns and even organ rupture.

As for the bitterant, this has been studied before and they have determined that it is a reasonable deterrent to ingestion. It does not prevent ingestion by everyone of course, but it works to an extent.

And BTW, child resistant medication containers do also save kids' lives, according to research. The main problem with child resistant containers isn't that it isn't effective. The main problem is that it is too effective, and sometimes can prevent the elderly and those with arthritis, etc. getting at their medications. It should be noted however, those with such issues such as arthritis can request pharmacies provide their medications in regular containers, not child resistant bottles.

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Yes we all understand the reason behind it, we just think it’s a stupid idea not backed up by science.

Seriously if you have small children in the home batteries, medication, cleaning supplies, Tide pods, and the like should be kept away. I also understand children can be ‘crafty’, keep an eye on them.

Give me a choice. Same thing which prescription medication. Has child safe bottles actually saved a life ? What is the danger of swallowing a button cell ? Does coating it with bitters really help if I just shove it in and swallow ? Is this an inconvenient solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?

My kids are grown up, so there are no children in my home, yet if I get a prescription filled, the law requires a child safety cap. Imagine your 90 year old grandma trying to open her arthritis medication. Mine lived to be 98.

Sorry if this thread has been derailed, bit the bitters on the battery appear to be a ‘feel good’ solution to a problem that may not exist. Show me the data.
Parody? I’m not sure. Battery ingestion fatalities are rare (single digits per month), but then so are the cases of anyone giving a damn about the coatings on batteries. Here’s a whole lot of stats, but one you should be worried about - by far the most commonly ingested batteries are those intended for hearing aids…

jamesrob

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
California Wine Country
Give me a choice. Same thing which prescription medication. Has child safe bottles actually saved a life ?
It’s relatively easy to count children who’ve died because of recognized consumption of curiosity-driven ingestions (my own parents arrived home one day to find me whimpering and the baby sitter quite anxious although neither of us was in any physical distress. One parent asked what was bothering me. I replied, guiltily, “I swallowed a nickel.”

Why would you do that?” asked my dad.

“There wasn’t anything ELSE to do.” I replied.

My Dad was the person “punished” in this little family drauma. As was so common back then, I was subjected to a few likely unnecessary Roentgens, and then my Dad was charged with “surveying” my solid waste until the offending disk was expelled. He was remarkably sanguine about that poopy job.

MaineMan086

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2022
While on vacation, I needed to replace the batteries in 2 of my airtags. I bought a set of batteries, took them back to the hotel, and was perplexed that I could not get either airtag to work with the new batteries. After retrying the old batteries, i concluded the batteries must have been old and depleted.

So I went to a little further towards civilization to a CVS. Two more batteries. Same result.

Some searching here, lead me to learn that some brands of coin cell batteries have a bitterant added to them that insulates the battery where the airtags make their connection. I went to check, and sure enough. There is a small ring of something on the outer edge of the negative side.

I’m now $30 in on these tourist priced batteries, so I am determined to find a way to make them work. I saw some mention sanding or scratching the coating off. I tried using some scissors to scrape along the edge, but no dice.

Then I realized, its most likely water soluble, right? You need to the bitterant to dissolve on the tongue to be effective. Sure enough, if you take a damp paper towel and rub the negative side for 15 seconds or so, it comes right off. Popped them into the airtags and they worked perfectly.

Hopefully this helps someone else.
It helped me! I took a wet wipe and rubbed the back of the Duracell battery, then used a small flat-bladed screwdriver to rough up the perimeter of the battery where the bitter coating is, and then wiped it again. Worked perfectly! Thanks!

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020

In the UK you'd be called a miserable old git, because you are a miserable old git 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh and EugW

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Thanks for sharing; this is a problem for power meters in bikes as well. I get my coin size (CR2032?) from Europe via Amazon to avoid this issue, but I like the alcohol idea.

~ Sheldon

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thank you for sharing.
I have just bought a pack of 5 CR2032 but haven't opened it.
I assume one can use his finger to feel the surface of the battery and tell the difference between metal and non-metal coating, can't he?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.