Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• IMG_0661.gif
    IMG_0661.gif
    2 MB · Views: 42

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I notice post use my vision gets blurry or distorted after using the AVP even though the dual AVP displays are perfectly sharp when I use it.

However, after using AVP, my Mac Studio displays look fuzzy and the text is distorted like I have astigmatism...

Vision get's better after some time and relaxing the eyes looking elsewhere.

Maybe that's a sign ?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
This report doesn't surprise me. I did something similar to myself once with just an iPad -- was reading a book on Kindle on my iPad for a few hours, with no breaks, and when I finally did stop I found that my vision was doubled to a certain extent -- looking at a line, I would see two diverging copies of the line. The effect went away after a few hours and a nap.

Having two displays right in front of your eyes -- centimeters, or less -- for any length of time is likely to cause changes to your vision. Do it long enough and there might be permanent change.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I have nystagmus, a condition where the nerves in my brain that control my eyes basically need input from each other or I canā€™t focus, I canā€™t focus with only one eye open as the open eye (left is more pronounced than right) literally moves from side to side quickly, and I get that vision too, like an old TV set trying to get dialed in, it just scrolls horizontally until I open my other eye. I also have astigmatism.

These conditions throughout my life have caused me to be sensitive around what my eyes are focusing on, and a software engineer I can really get my eyes into rough shape, sometimes I just canā€™t focus normally with both eyes after a few late nights in a row with little sleep, sometimes my vision shifts and sometimes things pop or sometimes things like theyā€™re being sucked away by a vacuum - and Iā€™m forced to take a break from all screens.

To avoid getting myself into this situation I use a timer (it helps with ADD too), where basically every 20 minutes I take a 60 second break and look at my window across the street, anything thatā€™s not short sighted usually does the trick, mixing this in to my life has helped tremendously to reduce eye strain and to be able to maintain focus.

I wouldnā€™t wish this on anyone and not sure if you can get a break timer in AVP but maybe thatā€™s the flow for now, until the tech gets to align more naturally with what eyes are used to?

Iā€™m in between never getting the AVP or seeing if I can get one to engineer an actual mono focus eye exam for people like me.

In my experience eyes seem resilient, though thereā€™s definitely potential for myopic issues with AVP and in my experience once your eyes get into kind of a reduced state you really need to take a break, looking outside always seems to work b/c the lightning conditions are always natural and the field of view should be 100%, also typically your eyes will look at things much further off in the distance.

I hope your eyes are fine OP, def. curious about how your experience continues. As others have said def. get checked out, especially if it feels like its getting worse or you feel noticeable strain where you didnā€™t.

Other things that impact your eyes are hydration, sleep, caffeine, overall metabolism, etc.

IIRC Apple announced a bunch of anti-myopia tools for iOS 17 a WWDC this past June, I wonder if theyā€™re hoping to offset usage of AVP.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Probably. Maybe. Only OP knows if itā€™s a worry worthy of seeking medical opinion. No harm in visiting an optician if thereā€™s any doubt. Theyā€™re better positioned than any of us to advise šŸ‘
See an ophthalmologist not an optician. One is a medical doctor, the other isn't.

Reactions: Itinj24

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
See an ophthalmologist not an optician. One is a medical doctor, the other isn't.

Yes but one is much easier to see and will refer you to the other if thereā€™s any doubt. I was referring mainly to having eye tracking looked at, which any optician should be able to help with šŸ‘

Iskee

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
same thing happens to me after using my AVP for a while. It goes away before long but still interesting since I never noticed that effect after using my oculus rift several years ago.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
Thatā€™s what you get when you put artificial crap right in front of your eyes, I mean how well can that go?
People are always crazy about newest tech but donā€™t care how will it affect their health. It starts with blurred vision, then myopia and then it goes further. There is nothing good that can come out of that.
Stop being stupid and stop ruining your health trying to pursue a fad.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Yes but one is much easier to see and will refer you to the other if thereā€™s any doubt. I was referring mainly to having eye tracking looked at, which any optician should be able to help with šŸ‘
Yes, absolutely correct. Otherwise, it would be like seeing a surgeon and not a GP if you have a tummy ache.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Someone else mentioned experiencing this in another thread but I really want to see how many other people are getting this issue. This is not a bait thread, nor is it a hate thread. I am wholeheartedly trying to figure out if it's just me and the one other guy on the forum or if more people are getting this problem.

I haven't worn AVP in 24 hours and I'm getting an issue where some elements on 2D displays (my monitor, iPhone, TV) look 3D and it's making me dizzy. I have to blink a few times or shake my head to get rid of it and then it comes back a few seconds later. I first noticed this problem whilst wearing Vision Pro; certain elements that weren't supposed to be 3D (text on Safari sites, parts of image thumbnail content in Photos, etc.) looked like they were 'popping out' of the window. It was really prominent with red elements. At first I thought this was a software glitch but now I'm getting the same effect on real monitors with no AVP on. I'm hoping this goes away in a couple days once my eyes readjust but this is scary and affecting my productivity because it happens most frequently with text (good luck coding guys). In fact I'm getting it right now as I'm writing this thread. It only looks like it's floating a couple millimeters above the actual display.

Oh it's also happening to a lesser extent with text on physical items.

I've decided if even you gave me a Vision Pro for free or PAID ME to use it I'm not going to wear one again. The 3D eye problem I now have is not worth the AVP experience. No tech, no matter how 'magical,' is worth destroying my eyesight over. I was so excited for not just AVP but Apple's whole Vision platform in general.

I can't believe this would end up being my final conclusion. It's a cool platform and I can't wait for the 'glasses' version to come out in a few decades (lol) but I'm not going to risk any more eye issues. What a sad end for my AVP experience :(

EDIT: oh God I just opened Discord and it looks like the window is floating over my browser... I'm using Windows right now on a REAL MONITOR o_O

Very interesting and weird. I have used VR a ton over the years, and I have been using the AVP a ton since launch day (I am planning to return it, but because ultimately I don't think I can justify the price given comfort and some other issues, even though a lot about it is amazing). I've never had this kind of issue, or heard of it until now.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Yes, absolutely correct. Otherwise, it would be like seeing a surgeon and not a GP if you have a tummy ache.

And perhaps surprisingly for some, in my own personal experience a good optician can actually be more understanding of the practical effects people suffer with their problems. Ophthalmologists tend to be all about the clinical evidence and the patient is not much more than a set of numbers.

Also guess it depends where you live, but in my territory I could see an optician tomorrow, whereas an ophthalmologist appointment would take weeks to arrange through a GP. Maybe months.

Anyway hopefully OP needs neither šŸ‘

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I once had this happen once after using my Oculus Rift years ago, and I can share my experience.

For me it was not permanent and eventually my vision went back to normal, honestly if it lasts long thats concerning. But it wasnā€™t the first time in my life I had seen this. You can get a similar effect by covering one of your eyes with sunglasses and look at a display, and as a kid I used to do this because it looked cool to get a fake 3d effect. If I did it long enough my eyes would start to do it without needing the glasses, but the effect wore off pretty quickly.

I am not a doctor but this is what I believe helps solve it. Closing your eyes and resting is the easiest thing to do. Also I suggest going outside (use sunglasses if needed) and generally avoid looking at things up close, and avoid looking at displays, do not use your phone or computer. Try to let your eyes relax for awhile, avoid focusing too much. Give it some time, and if this effect does not go away after awhile for you then I agree with others to see a doctor.

Once my vision was back to normal, I adjusted the IPD on the Rift and generally took breaks instead of using it for long periods. I have never had it happen to me again since but now anytime I feel eye fatigue in VR, then itā€™s a trigger for me to immediately stop using the headset for awhile and let my eyes rest (using the techniques I mentioned). Also I recommend when you are in VR, try to avoid looking at 3d objects up close, itā€™s the biggest reason my eyes get fatigued in the first place.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Have previous headsets like Oculus and Quest produced the same complaints? If not, what's the difference in the Vision Pro that would cause this?
I've never seen this problem. Just dizziness while wearing it that lasts even after you take it off, and what's worse: dizziness that suddenly appears some hours after you took it off.

They need to solve all these issues if companies want mass adoption

Reactions: antiprotest

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Very interesting and weird. I have used VR a ton over the years, and I have been using the AVP a ton since launch day (I am planning to return it, but because ultimately I don't think I can justify the price given comfort and some other issues, even though a lot about it is amazing). I've never had this kind of issue, or heard of it until now.

So AVP is 100% pixel perfect crisp in your vision the whole time, no matter where your eyes are looking, no matter how much time you've had it on? Genuinely curious, because based on the last 10 days I don't know how that can be possible with the optics in Vision Pro. I don't have eyestrain and poor optics in my Quest 3 and didn't in the older fresnel lenses of the Quest 2.

I really do not want to return it, I love the rest of the experience. But I feel like something with Apple's implementation of the pancake lenses is way, way off the norm.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
One thing people don't realize unless they study optics/human vision is just how much of what we think our eyes are seeing is either made up or corrected by our brains. The eye only really sees in very clear, full color detail in the middle of your vision. The colors you perceive around the edges are filled in by your brain, as well as much of the detail, as your peripheral vision is very low resolution and almost entirely black and white.

Because of the immense amount of "post-processing" involved in human vision, looking at something other than our natural environment for extended periods of time will frequently cause our brains to adjust in odd and unexpected ways. It can take a while to adjust back to "normal" and it's different for everyone; some of us can switch between staring at tiny screens very close to our eyes and looking at mountains miles away without feeling odd at all, while others may take days to adjust between looking at different environments.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
One thing people don't realize unless they study optics/human vision is just how much of what we think our eyes are seeing is either made up or corrected by our brains. The eye only really sees in very clear, full color detail in the middle of your vision. The colors you perceive around the edges are filled in by your brain, as well as much of the detail, as your peripheral vision is very low resolution and almost entirely black and white.

Because of the immense amount of "post-processing" involved in human vision, looking at something other than our natural environment for extended periods of time will frequently cause our brains to adjust in odd and unexpected ways. It can take a while to adjust back to "normal" and it's different for everyone; some of us can switch between staring at tiny screens very close to our eyes and looking at mountains miles away without feeling odd at all, while others may take days to adjust between looking at different environments.

Itā€™s been explained to me that this is why the eye darts around a lot - so that the macular can take hundreds of detailed ā€˜snapshotsā€™ and use them to fill-in the peripheral so that we perceive a whole, cohesive image. Crazy stuff šŸ‘

ETA: I recall it being said that the actual area that our eye captures in high definition color at any one moment is roughly approximate to a thumbnail held at armā€™s length šŸ˜³

Last edited:

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Before I even got to this part of your post, I was thinking of red and blue elements.
Red and blue are on opposite sides of the visual spectrum (well, violet is past blue, but there is no violet emitter on displays) and they bend differently as they pass through lensesā€”which is how rainbows work. The lenses and software in the headset and the lenses in your eyes and your brain are all affecting how colors are aligned.

I think what's happening is that your brain is always recalibrating itself to figure out how depth works for different colors... it's correcting for chromatic aberration. So your brain may be getting used to how colors work on the headset, and temporarily* recalibrating how those colors align outside the headset.

When I look at this image on a standard monitor, it looks like the blue is closer to me. I've looked at the same image other times and it looks like red is closer.
Cromostereopsi_PiratiGrafici.gif

So, basically, I think you are freaking out over a perfectly normal phenomenon. It's just more pronounced in VR because its passing through multiple sets of lenses instead of just one (the lenses in your eyes).

*Temporarily could mean days. One of my favorite optical illusions can actually affect how your vision works for several days afterward. It's called the McCollough effect. Basically you alternate looking at vertical stripes in one color, and horizontal stripes in another color for a few minutes, and then when you look at black and white horizontal or vertical stripes, you see a slight color tint, even if you look at those stripes minutes, hours, or sometimes even days later.
DEEEk7-XUAExHbm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCollough_effect

I'm a bit of a geek about VR, displays, eyes, and optics. So this post kind of combines many of my favorite topics.

/thread. Wow, that red/blue ring image pretty much just nails it. For me the red is closer, but what's crazy is that the effect is still somewhat present even when covering one eye.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Sigh, can we stop blaming AVP.

It has been know for over Two centuries.
Evidence for the stereoptic effect is often quite easy to see. For example, when red and blue are viewed side by side on a dark surrounding, most people will view the red as "floating" in front of the blue. However, this is not true for everyone, as some people see the opposite and others no effect at all

In 1885, Einthoven proposed a theory which states: "The phenomenon (chromostereopsis) is due to chromatic difference of magnification, for since, for example, blue rays are refracted more than red rays by the ocular

Blue_red.svg.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MockT

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Do mean that a piece of technology that further removes you from the ā€œreal worldā€ could have negative biological consequences?

Wow, I would have never guessed!

Kidding aside, I hate everything this product stands for. Society is already too removed from healthy social interactions; why the world needs another device that pulls us further away is beyond me.
Why? The answer is simple really:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.