Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
When I look at this image on a standard monitor, it looks like the blue is closer to me. I've looked at the same image other times and it looks like red is closer.
Cromostereopsi_PiratiGrafici.gif
The first one was really cool! The blue looks further back to my eyes. The second one I’ll avoid since I don’t enjoy the thought of messing with my vision for days.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
It’s been explained to me that this is why the eye darts around a lot - so that the macular can take hundreds of detailed ‘snapshots’ and use them to fill-in the peripheral so that we perceive a whole, cohesive image. Crazy stuff 👍

ETA: I recall it being said that the actual area that our eye captures in high definition color at any one moment is roughly approximate to a thumbnail held at arm’s length 😳
It's fascinating how the eye divides its functions, with the center being used for what it's best at and the edges used mostly to react quickly to motion but not giving much detail beyond "something is moving over there!" I guess this is also one of the challenges facing VR engineers, as it's difficult to truly emulate the feeling of something coming from behind or above you when you can't project things into the far edges of the eye's field of view.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Why? The answer is simple really:

Karl Mark? Really?

I think that a large part of societal disconnect is due to our fascination with fantasy. Technology can act as an enabler for people like a drug: feeling an alternative reality.

I prefer to live in reality, with all the pros and cons and I encourage my children to do the same. Some may call this naive, and that's OK, but it certainly seems the healthier option.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Someone else mentioned experiencing this in another thread but I really want to see how many other people are getting this issue. This is not a bait thread, nor is it a hate thread. I am wholeheartedly trying to figure out if it's just me and the one other guy on the forum or if more people are getting this problem.

I haven't worn AVP in 24 hours and I'm getting an issue where some elements on 2D displays (my monitor, iPhone, TV) look 3D and it's making me dizzy. I have to blink a few times or shake my head to get rid of it and then it comes back a few seconds later. I first noticed this problem whilst wearing Vision Pro; certain elements that weren't supposed to be 3D (text on Safari sites, parts of image thumbnail content in Photos, etc.) looked like they were 'popping out' of the window. It was really prominent with red elements. At first I thought this was a software glitch but now I'm getting the same effect on real monitors with no AVP on. I'm hoping this goes away in a couple days once my eyes readjust but this is scary and affecting my productivity because it happens most frequently with text (good luck coding guys). In fact I'm getting it right now as I'm writing this thread. It only looks like it's floating a couple millimeters above the actual display.

Oh it's also happening to a lesser extent with text on physical items.

I've decided if even you gave me a Vision Pro for free or PAID ME to use it I'm not going to wear one again. The 3D eye problem I now have is not worth the AVP experience. No tech, no matter how 'magical,' is worth destroying my eyesight over. I was so excited for not just AVP but Apple's whole Vision platform in general.

I can't believe this would end up being my final conclusion. It's a cool platform and I can't wait for the 'glasses' version to come out in a few decades (lol) but I'm not going to risk any more eye issues. What a sad end for my AVP experience :(

EDIT: oh God I just opened Discord and it looks like the window is floating over my browser... I'm using Windows right now on a REAL MONITOR o_O
You’re noticing lower resolution and how the RGB layout is on your screen.

When I’m screensharing from a lower end monitor, the red border appears to jump out of the screen a bit. If I move my head around I notice that from some angles the red border disappears entirely.

This is because screens have different layouts for their RGB pixels. Red in particular always looks a fraction of a millimeter “closer” as an almost 3D effect.

This is the “retina” moment for monitors, once you see super high density, you’re gonna have a hard time using lower ppi (or in this case lower viewing angles) again.

This has *nothing* to do with affecting your vision.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
The first one was really cool! The blue looks further back to my eyes. The second one I’ll avoid since I don’t enjoy the thought of messing with my vision for days.
It's only noticeable when you see a black and white pattern of vertical lines and a pattern of horizontal lines next to each other. If someone never looked at the third image in the series, they would never know anything had changed.

And the shorter the inducement, the less long the effect lasts.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
This report doesn't surprise me. I did something similar to myself once with just an iPad -- was reading a book on Kindle on my iPad for a few hours, with no breaks, and when I finally did stop I found that my vision was doubled to a certain extent -- looking at a line, I would see two diverging copies of the line. The effect went away after a few hours and a nap.

This is absolutely the case with me. I have to very careful about not looking at my phone too close for too long or that can (temporarily) happen to me. Unfortunately I had to turn off the distance warning. I'm not even sure if I could use Vision Pro without it affecting me.

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
So AVP is 100% pixel perfect crisp in your vision the whole time, no matter where your eyes are looking, no matter how much time you've had it on? Genuinely curious, because based on the last 10 days I don't know how that can be possible with the optics in Vision Pro. I don't have eyestrain and poor optics in my Quest 3 and didn't in the older fresnel lenses of the Quest 2.

I really do not want to return it, I love the rest of the experience. But I feel like something with Apple's implementation of the pancake lenses is way, way off the norm.

It's not perfectly crisp always - there is the 'smear' issue that can happen when you move your head around due to the micro oled lenses (a similar issue that the Quest 1, which also used oled, had). But I've mostly gotten used to that. As far as eye strain, because of the sharp resolution it is much less of an issue for me than on the Quest 3 or other headsets I have used, especially if I'm reading text for long periods of time.

But anyway, what I was referring to was the 3D effect referenced in the original post. I've never experienced or heard of anything like that.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
When I got my Quest 3, it literally messed up my brain for the first week (first time VR user). I am not even kidding. I ended up bumping my car into another car, broke off my house key and just over all felt like I am not in my own body and super clumsy. It hasn’t happened now that I got more used to VR. I still have an issue with letters suddenly appearing double on a computer screen when I take it off but that’s „only“ the case when my eyes were already tired and I shouldn’t have used it in the first place

Reactions: zakarhino

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So many well informed, helpful, and detailed posts trying to help and describe similar experiences. I am very grateful to all of you that took the time to inform me, especially @Jensend your post was excellent

So 48 hours after no Vision Pro and I think my vision is mostly back. You guys were right, it's temporary and a brain issue not an eye issue.

I should be clear I don't think this is just a Vision Pro thing, I think it's just my reaction to VR in general. I've heard some VR horror stories before so I don't think I'm going to take any risks going forward.

As a kid I developed a subconscious habit of giving my eyes a break whenever they felt like it, either by looking outside at the trees just behind my desk like I do today or by 'blurring' my eyes as if I was looking at something far off into the distance. It's this habit that's kept my vision (mostly) perfect when everyone else in my family needs prescription glasses. Looking back I didn't perform this eye exercise whilst using Vision Pro because it felt impossible to do so. Also my eye muscles were quite strained yesterday, I never get eye strain so that's a good warning sign to stop.

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
When I got my Quest 3, it literally messed up my brain for the first week (first time VR user). I am not even kidding. I ended up bumping my car into another car, broke off my house key and just over all felt like I am not in my own body and super clumsy. It hasn’t happened now that I got more used to VR

It's funny you mention that because a couple days ago I took off the Vision Pro and immediately got in my car. I felt a bit dizzy driving which is very unusual for me. It went away in a few minutes thank God but the first thing I told everyone around me was don't start driving right after taking the headset off, give yourself a good 30 minutes. My theory is the edges of your peripheral vision are blocked when using Vision Pro and all of a sudden they are being exposed to fast moving stimuli as other cars/objects whiz by you.

Reactions: Mescagnus

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
It's funny you mention that because a couple days ago I took off the Vision Pro and immediately got in my car. I felt a bit dizzy driving which is very unusual for me. It went away in a few minutes thank God but the first thing I told everyone around me was don't start driving right after taking the headset off, give yourself a good 30 minutes. My theory is the edges of your peripheral vision are blocked when using Vision Pro and all of a sudden they are being exposed to fast moving stimuli as other cars/objects whiz by you.

Yes it’s like I couldn’t tell the distance of things anymore and when I tried to park, I hit the car next to me 🙈 thankfully not too much damage, just a few minor scratches but it was like daaaaamn

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Do mean that a piece of technology that further removes you from the “real world” could have negative biological consequences?

Wow, I would have never guessed!

Kidding aside, I hate everything this product stands for. Society is already too removed from healthy social interactions; why the world needs another device that pulls us further away is beyond me.
I agree 1000%. It is like Apple hates us.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Do mean that a piece of technology that further removes you from the “real world” could have negative biological consequences?

Wow, I would have never guessed!

Kidding aside, I hate everything this product stands for. Society is already too removed from healthy social interactions; why the world needs another device that pulls us further away is beyond me.
I meet up with friends online in a VR game once a week for a couple hours. Everyone in VR has mics, so we talk while we hang out and play the game. Is that more removed from the "real world" than posting on Mac Rumors?

c deerinck

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Very loosely related to this post. When I was about 19, I ate "magic mushrooms". If you ever have done that, you know you can see rainbow halos around things, and you can see "trails" (for example, after images of your hand when you move it around). They never really went away, and I am 62 now. For sure, it is less intense than when you eat them, but it stayed with me. I think it is because my brain learned to reinterpret something that always happened, and I just didn't notice it before. I don't think it damaged anything, it just became a new thing I was aware of.

Also, I am an AVP owner, and plan on keeping it, and my vision means everything to me, as my #1 pastime is piloting high performance sailplanes. It definitely has again re-wired some part of my brain, as the images, especially the Spacial Panorama's taken on my iPhone 15 Pro see a little more vivid than real-life.

I was going to post two examples, but MR says they are too big (24mb each). You can get them from my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/fhj7dzdv4ov7bn0a7qwz8/h?rlkey=vsxyccnjdor87cigerohm6ru2&dl=0

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I meet up with friends online in a VR game once a week for a couple hours. Everyone in VR has mics, so we talk while we hang out and play the game. Is that more removed from the "real world" than posting on Mac Rumors?

I don’t post on MR as as game or entertainment. This is news consumption and discussion.

My social life is far removed from anything online.

VR, like social media, Tic Toc and, to a greater extent, the rise of the internet in general, is often a distraction from “real” life.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Martin Bland

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2014
Red popping out of displays is common with high index prescription glasses. OP do you wear prescription glasses?

Last edited:

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
but it's the sort of thing that will terminally hamper mass adoption of this type of device.
Vision issues will always limit these sort of devices. Does not matter who makes the product, the nature of human vision is that there are numerous issues, defects if you will, in our vision.

Example: after I had IOLs put in, my vision was obviously different. I developed a problem with my right eye because it was not corrected exactly the same as the left eye. It took me quite a while until I got new prescription glasses, to get the right eye to work properly.

It's all an eye-brain thing. Make one change in your use of eyes and there are complicated side-effects that may not be anticipated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.