Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
If Apple were to close down tomorrow and never make another iPhone which smartphone would you buy?

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Are you referring to being so closed down that no one else is even allowed to buy the phone business from Apple?

As is, if shut down, nothing happens, then you wouldn't have an app store. So we would be dependent on a jail break solution to get new/updated apps over the next few years. And need big companies willing to distribute apps through third party stores.

The current phones should still be good for several years. There are 3rd party screen and battery suppliers.

If I had to stop using an iPhone RIGHT NOW, I would probably just use my Moto G5 Plus for now.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I’d go with either the S10e or Pixel 3 once my Xs kicked the bucket. I really like stock Android, but the Samsung screens are beautiful.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I would have to go with Samsung / Android and hope that I could still manage my music and online browsing and other online access.

I think Samsung has the hardware - but apple has done a great job at connecting music, phones, email and communication and online access into the most user friendly Eco system

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If we are talking flagship phones. The Nokia 9 Pureview, Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL. I like vanilla Android mainly due to timely updates.

For budget phones I'd get a Nokia 6.1 or 7.1 for the same reasons. They seemed better than any others for the price when I last checked. As far as Android One options go. Nokia 6.1 Plus if I didn't live in the US. Unfortunately the 6.1 Plus seems to have problematic LTE support with T-Mobile in the US. Otherwise it is cheaper than a 7.1 with nearly identical specs.

Personally, I just bought a Pixel XL. As it was used it was cheaper than a Nokia 4.2 but about the same speed as a 7.1. Mainly I just wanted to try Android again. I have to say I hated Android before but Android 9 (Pie) is quite impressive.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Something that can be rooted, something that you can sterilize from Google. Without continuity and iMessage, it will be like going back to 2010.

There is this Librem Phone, which is in beta forever, I do not know if it is ever going to get released.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Are you referring to being so closed down that no one else is even allowed to buy the phone business from Apple?

As is, if shut down, nothing happens, then you wouldn't have an app store. So we would be dependent on a jail break solution to get new/updated apps over the next few years. And need big companies willing to distribute apps through third party stores.

The current phones should still be good for several years. There are 3rd party screen and battery suppliers.

If I had to stop using an iPhone RIGHT NOW, I would probably just use my Moto G5 Plus for now.
Closed down and never being able to buy their products ever again, Apple will no longer exist

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Either Pixel of Note. I've always been really impressed by the Notes, but pure Android would be appealing.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Any Android One device, which means either a Xiaomi Mi Ax series or a Nokia.

Without Apple, Samsung will go unchallenged on the high end, thus pricing will get even more ridiculous and they will definitely slacking off on software support. Google will keep their Pixel phones as high priced phones only for western markets. So the only hope for great Android phone with reasonable prices and good software support will be the Android One handsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.