Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
In the market for mate 20 pro, is your LG screen or not ?
mine is a LG screen but have zero issues with it. got it back in november 2018 so it's almost 4 months i think if there was a problem with the screen i would have seen it already. now im not saying that there are no mate20 pro phones with screens issues., just that every phone has a problem here and there. and people tend to blow things out of proportion.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If Apple were to close down tomorrow and never make another iPhone which smartphone would you buy?

XS Max, my current DD. Pretty phenomenal phone, without the bezels and the large size just make it almost perfect. My only wishes would be pencil support, multi screen support and a better camera. Hopefully with good care it should last for a few years. I'd be hesitant to go back to Android because of all the privacy issues, seems like there is a new one every day.

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
XS Max, my current DD. Pretty phenomenal phone, without the bezels and the large size just make it almost perfect. My only wishes would be pencil support, multi screen support and a better camera. Hopefully with good care it should last for a few years. I'd be hesitant to go back to Android because of all the privacy issues, seems like there is a new one every day.
sounds like you would be more happy with a note10 than with the iphone. as far as privacy.
A Huawei phone is probally the safest phone for privacy if you live in the United States.
It's one of the only companies that won't cooperate with the NSA, CIA, FBI, etc.,
unlike Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. (Look up Edward Snowden and project PRISM).

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If I had to pick just one...most like a Google phone because of the excellent cameras and update. Close second would be OnePlus. It was my first pick, but the cameras aren't up to par with Pixels, Galaxy's or iPhone.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I’m kind of facing that problem now because I refuse to own a phone with The Notch.

I would just keep my 7+, but if I absolutely had to change right away I would probably get one of Sony’s new Xperia phones. I’m not a big Android fan though; always something like “Media Server” or another system app eating up tons of battery life while idle some days, and then runs perfectly on others. Wish there were a third alternative again.

Reactions: Ffosse

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Probably a Sony as I can't trust a Huawei or Xiaomi phone just yet with support and upgrades. Or maybe a pixel phone.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm using it... Pixel 3XL. My XS Max is all boxed up, listed for sale.

If Apple disappeared tomorrow, I'd shed a tear for my Apple Watch, but that's presently about it.

Reactions: 5105973

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
sounds like you would be more happy with a note10 than with the iphone. as far as privacy.
A Huawei phone is probally the safest phone for privacy if you live in the United States.
It's one of the only companies that won't cooperate with the NSA, CIA, FBI, etc.,
unlike Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. (Look up Edward Snowden and project PRISM).

Lol what? Get a Huawei phone if you want the Chinese government to have your information instead of the US governement. That's the only difference. Huawei are about as dishonest a company as it gets. They steal tech constantly and have had very public issues of storing data on Chinese servers. They've also admitted that if the Chinese government asks for data they would have to comply.

Reactions: tbayrgs and 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
In the hypothetical situation that Apple were to permanently shut down, then I would be interested in purchasing a hypothetical new Essential device collaboration between Jony Ive and Andy Rubin.

That's right: In this hypothetical situation, Jony is freed up to work on the next Essential phone!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

That's a tough decision, the US having my info versus China, hmm... It is an interesting take and actually makes sense if you just ignore the China part.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
I would go back to a flip phone, before I would use the broken and fractured security mess that is Android et al,
Flip phones were kinda cool tho, the distinct "klok" they gave when closing them after a conversation were legendary.

If i were to change i would go for Huawei P30 (or Mate 30 if/when it comes). super value for money, and decent UI.

Last edited:

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I would continue using Sony phones as I have been for the last 20+ years.
I have nothing against iPhones, (other than their price), but I just love my Sony phones even from their Sony Ericsson days.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Windows 10 mobile, 950XL or an HP X3
Too late as Microsoft already discontinued Windows 10 Mobile. :D
[doublepost=1557114494][/doublepost]
I would continue using Sony phones as I have been for the last 20+ years.
I have nothing against iPhones, (other than their price), but I just love my Sony phones even from their Sony Ericsson days.
Then get them while they’re still around since Sony won’t last long. There are already rumors of them exiting the Middle East and SE Asian markets, which won’t bode well to their future.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Windows 10 mobile, 950XL or an HP X3

I hated that the Windows phone platform died off. That would have been my choice as well as I bought one once just to try and loved it. Now I guess I would switch over to the Pixel Phone as how they receive updates closely resembles Apple and you don’t have all the bloatware you get from the carrier phones.

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
I hated that the Windows phone platform died off. That would have been my choice as well as I bought one once just to try and loved it. Now I guess I would switch over to the Pixel Phone as how they receive updates closely resembles Apple and you don’t have all the bloatware you get from the carrier phones.
True. I switch platforms 2 or 3 times a year but always seem to come back to apple. Not usually because of the hardware (I feel that other manufacturers are way more innovative lately eg. S10+, Pixel, Huwawei...) it always seems to come down to iOS for me. Privacy, iMessage, FaceTime, Airdrop, seamless address book synchronization.

I am holding out to see if MS actually comes out with Andromeda/Surface phone. Feel like that would be something to disrupt the market...if they did it right (highly doubtful)

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Given Nadella completely killed off and was not supportive of a Microsoft mobile segment I can't see it is likely they will return to it. They are working on something small and surface related, a tablet I suspect, with no phone component.

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Given Nadella completely killed off and was not supportive of a Microsoft mobile segment I can't see it is likely they will return to it. They are working on something small and surface related, a tablet I suspect, with no phone component.
You’re prolly right

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.