Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

le_coc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2004
Netherlands
hmm on iMac update on the same day a the Tiger release is hard to believe... But Apple is doing strange things the last couple of days so why not?

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
I'd like to believe this news. But I've been going on "could" and "may" and "might" since February. :) I'd like it to happen tomorrow. I'm ready to buy!

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Well, after the disappointments this week (mediocre PM upgrades, no new iMacs/eMacs, no new iTMS) it would be really nice!

aranhamo

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Me 2

NewtypeCJ said:
I'd like to believe this news. But I've been going on "could" and "may" and "might" since February. :) I'd like it to happen tomorrow. I'm ready to buy!

I've been ready to buy since I got my tax refund. So many times I've almost gone down to CompUSA and grabbed a mini (since they probably won't see an update for a while), but my wife keeps encouraging me to stay strong and wait for new iMacs. But now my old iMac is dying and I'm worried it won't last until new ones come out. :(

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I would love to see new iMacs, especially if thinksecret is right about the specs. I'm not sure about Friday though. I would think next week or the week after but maybe they want the new models to be in the store when Tiger is released. Some people may see it as buying Tiger and getting as well. :p

WolfgangK

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2005
iBooks

No iBooks?

I second that! iBooks keep getting tossed in and out of these update rumors. Sort of weird that shipping times did increase on the Apple store for iBooks as well, but no more information on updates.

I would be ecstatic with GPU upgrade at the very least. I'm ready to buy, but don't want to get bit with an update only days later. And the GPU being upgraded is the one that would really kill me. I wouldn't really care so much about a small speed increase, or more RAM.

I have a feeling they'll get a minor, minor update with the release of Tiger...but I'd have thought there'd be some solid info floating around out there by this time, if that was the case. Guess we'll see.

Some one on the Apple-Insider forums mentioned that they had ordered 3 "14 iBooks for their school...and their ship times went from being normal...to them receiving a message that they wouldn't be delivered until May 6. Don't know if that's a sign of dwindling supply and an update though.

I've got my fingers crossed, hoping some light will shine down from the heavens in the next few days.

m4r71n1

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Is that even possible?

Looking at the Imac G5 and the 1.8 Low-end model PM, they are pretty much the same RIGHT NOW. Without a further price drop on the PM (highly unlikely) or a price rise for the Imac (also unlikely)... we probably will either not get ANY improvement (maybe a graphics card option) for the Imac G5. I really don't expect any changes in any of the consumer-level products. The professional line is looking terrible.
My predictions:
- No Ibook before updated powerbook
- No new Imac
- A newer Emac

About PMs...
The PowerMac line although arguably still powerful although being on "old technology" is hindering Apple's ability to grow. Apple's desktop consumer line is great value (especially the Imac G5), but where can that go if the professional line is not going any higher. My guess; Apple is making it cheaper to build their computers but is not improving the performance of their computers.
MY ADVICE FOR PMS (laptops are a different story:
Give AMAZING options to your pro line,
-like cheaper RAM if you buy more than 2 Gigs
-like dual graphic cards (available from nvidia)
-like cheaper 30 inchers if you buy a top of the line
-like speakers/headphones, mics
-like cheaper software (my dream)
-like MAYBE.. Blu-Ray options

Cheers,
Ini

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
swissmann said:
The rumors on PowerMacs turned out right, let's see how this one turns out.
Yes. :) We'll see the rumored iMac updates happening just like the rumored PM updates came true. New iMacs are coming... :D

For anyone who hasn't noticed, I'm getting assertive about this. :p lol. I'm soooooooooo tired of reading pessimistic, negative posts that I'm trying to keep the balance swung in favor of optimism that we'll have iMac and eMac updates really soon (within a week). All the signs say we'll have them, and I think we'll have them that soon for sure.

woodsie

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
swissmann said:
The rumors on PowerMacs turned out right, let's see how this one turns out.

the initial rumors (going back to pre NAB days) were wrong in regards to the full specs and the launch date.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
m4r71n1 said:
I really don't expect any changes in any of the consumer-level products. My predictions:
- No Ibook before updated powerbook
- No new Imac
- A newer Emac
I'm just glad your sources are you, yourself, and you, while TS has inside information. ;)

I'd bet my Power Mac's left processor :eek: that we'll see new iMacs/eMacs by Tuesday at the latest, as TS predicts. Near end of product cycles, 5-7 day shipping time, and no supply in retail stores is a safe bet by itself, let alone the inside info TS has. TS has a snitch inside Apple. Heck, Jobs himself may be feeding TS just to draw some attention. :eek:

Anyway, I'm leaning toward no updates on Friday but on Monday or Tuesday, because
1. Apple wants the focus to be on Tiger on Friday, not a new product
2. Apple doesn't need to give 10% off of the new iMacs, because with all of the upgrades the iMac will receive, they are a pretty hefty upgrade and people will buy them with no discounts
3. If Apple updates the iMacs, then any old stock in the stores on Friday will drop by about $200 in price (maybe $300 for the 20"), PLUS Apple would give 10% off of that, so that would be a lot less revenue than if they just started selling them Monday/Tue.

But to counter #3, Apple would surely sell a lot MORE iMacs if they upgrade them Friday at 6PM, plus they would be certain to get rid of all of their old stock Friday as well. Kinda like, How about a new iMac G5 to go with that Tiger? or, buy a new, updated iMac and get Tiger for FREE. Either line would work on me. :p

I'm not sure what to think. :confused: Right now I'm wavering 50/50 for a Friday update, but I overall I think it would be in Apple's best interest to introduce the new iMacs and Friday and try to get people to go with the impulse buy. That'd be a good move in today's impulse driven world.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
ImAlwaysRight said:
I'm not sure what to think. :confused: Right now I'm wavering 50/50 for a Friday update, but I overall I think it would be in Apple's best interest to introduce the new iMacs and Friday and try to get people to go with the impulse buy. That'd be a good move in today's impulse driven world.

They better be available...I've been waiting 2 weeks to impulsively buy a new iMac tomorrow night!

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
aranhamo said:
I've been ready to buy since I got my tax refund. So many times I've almost gone down to CompUSA and grabbed a mini (since they probably won't see an update for a while), but my wife keeps encouraging me to stay strong and wait for new iMacs. But now my old iMac is dying and I'm worried it won't last until new ones come out. :(

You got a tax refund? Lucky.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
ImAlwaysRight,

Your username matches your post very well. :) Great logic in your post. It just makes sense.

I'm also glad to see a fellow optimist that we'll see iMac updates really soon. I'm looking forward to placing my order as soon as they are available. :D

Ozzieman

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Bad News for Imac Iboob Updates

Well Friday has arrived in Australia

We have our System X Tiger

But shelves are still full of old model Imacs and Ibooks and no clearance or discounts

:(

Money stay in pocket

Wife find something else to spend money on

Me and Apple Both loose out

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Slightly off topic, but since some people have been wondering...

The iBooks (and everything else not an eMac or iMac) are back to same day shipping...so no update is in the immediate future.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Still Waiting

I'm trying to switch over to Mac from Windows, but they just can't make it easy. There's no way I'm going to buy before they update, but I've been waiting for a long time, and am starting to think it may never be comming! :(

m4r71n1

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
follow your dreams!

ImAlwaysRight said:
I'm just glad your sources are you, yourself, and you, while TS has inside information. ;)

I'd bet my Power Mac's left processor :eek: that we'll see new iMacs/eMacs by Tuesday at the latest, as TS predicts. Near end of product cycles, 5-7 day shipping time, and no supply in retail stores is a safe bet by itself, let alone the inside info TS has. TS has a snitch inside Apple. Heck, Jobs himself may be feeding TS just to draw some attention.....

Well "ImAlwaysRight" I do love your optimism but honestly look at the low end 1.8 G5 PM compared to the 1.8 G5 Imac... whats the difference...

PM is expandable
Imac is not, BUT has a screen

essentially all the PM has going for it is its expansion right now. At one point in time there was a difference between an Imac and Powermac but now.. there really isnt much.... I've already posted my reasonable solutions for the PM problem...

Okay sure we have incidences where the consumer line is "equal" to the pro line... (such as the powerbook and ibook last fall).. BUT LOOK... IT ALREADY IS!.. In fact arguably the Imac is the much better value here. I don't expect a big boost in speed for the Imac (Sorry to break the obvious news...) based on simple facts that
consumer products should be less than pro products!
you just cant deny that...

Well best of LUCK...

My Guess:
Imac G5
Speed Boost to max at 2.0 Ghz but only for 20 incher
Graphics to at least 9600
--> thats about it
... probably gonna happen in a month

TS... you're a believer (GO FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS)

-ini

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Ozzieman said:
Well Friday has arrived in Australia

We have our System X Tiger

But shelves are still full of old model Imacs and Ibooks and no clearance or discounts
I never followed this internationally ... is the 10% off just in the USA, or has 10% also been given internationally at the roll out of OS 10.2 and 10.3?

And also, when Apple does a hardware update, in the past they have always updated the Apple store online at 7AM Central Time (like this past Wed). If Apple did offer new iMacs, I would think they would do it 7AM Friday morning (it is 10:30PM Thurs now) or else at 6PM on the East Coast at the Apple Event. Otherwise, it will happen 7AM on Mon. or Tue.

m4r71n1 said:
look at the low end 1.8 G5 PM compared to the 1.8 G5 Imac... whats the difference...

PM is expandable
Imac is not, BUT has a screen

TS... you're a believer (GO FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS)

-ini
Maybe you are new to the rumor scene, but TS has been right about updates the past couple of years. Right now they cannot pin-point the date, but have said sometime Fri-Tue, so you can be sure it will happen. My left processor will come to you via first class mail if it doesn't. :)

As for iMac/Power Mac difference, that is the way it has always been. Look at the history of the iMac G4, very similar to the G5 today. Like you say, iMac has the screen, but Power Mac has expandability. A lot of value is placed on expandability. It is a big deal to be able to update the graphics card, to have 4x the RAM slots, to have 3 PCI slots, to have two SATA drive bays, to have a full-size optical drive, and to have dual processors. If the graphics card needs replaced in 2 years, the iMac needs to be sold, the Power Mac can just be upgraded. So just because Apple left the single 1.8 in the PM line up is NOT an indicator it will not update iMacs.

I'm not here to argue, you have your beliefs, and I have mine. It'll all be settled in a few day (or hours!) anyway. But I am confident by Tuesday we'll see new iMacs with specs TS has given out.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'll be surprised to see the new iMacs tomorrow, but I'd also be at a store buying one tomorrow night for the hopefully Event 10% off discount....

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.