Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
ImAlwaysRight said:
A price decrease of at least $100 per system would be appropriate, but with all the upgrades coming (processor, video card, video memory, system memory, hard drive, BT2 option), I highly doubt Apple will drop the iMac prices. The Power Macs should have been decreased in price by a couple hundred bucks each, but were not, and I'm sure Apple will follow the same pattern.

Look at current pricing: you can get a 20" LCD + single 1.8 PM for $800 + 1500 = $2300, and since a single 2.0GHz G5 iMac 20" will cost $1900 at the old price point, I doubt Apple will lower the price any further. :(

While I mostly agree that prices won't be lowered, the comparison to the PM 1.8 is not a good one. The PM was kept in the lineup for two reasons: (1) they had too much inventory to get rid of on the for sale page and (2) schools. They don't care about performance too much and in many cases, already have LCD's. They want a PM for the cheapest possible price. If the 1.8 could be upgraded to dual for $25, they wouldn't do it. If you are a consumer and want to buy the 1.8, you're crazy, but schools will eat them up.

The point is that arguments that the iMac can't be upgraded very much b/c it will canabalize the 1.8 are wrong. Those arguments work regarding the laptops, but not the desktops. Different markets.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
macridah said:
No new iMac announcement this week i guess. I suppose that apple wants all eyes on Tiger.

That sounds very reasonable. Apple definitely wants a lot of hype on Tiger. Thinking that it will encourage Mac sales also. Then update the eMac and iMac in the next two weeks. Definitely before WWDC.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Beck446 said:
The PM was kept in the lineup for two reasons: (1) they had too much inventory to get rid of on the for sale page and (2) schools.

1. "Too much inventory" is all the more reason to put the 1.8 PM on the sale page. Leaving it in the line up at full price sure isn't going to get rid of all that inventory. :eek:

2. As for schools, Apple has always had a lower configuration for EDU. If the 1.8 PM was kept in the line up for schools as you say, it would not be available for the general public.

IMHO, it makes more sense that Apple kept the 1.8 PM in the line up to make people think the duals are a great value. It will cause people to spend more money than they would have otherwise. And, the 1.8 single PM makes people like me looking at both the iMac and PM lines think the 20" iMac is a pretty good value.

Sped

macrumors regular
May 30, 2003
When / if Apple bumps the eMac, I wonder whether it would be cheaper to use G4s similar to what is in the PowerBook from a volume perspective or to go ahead and go with a 1.6 G5 from a let's get everthing to the G5 point of view?

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
m4r71n1 said:
essentially all the PM has going for it is its expansion right now. At one point in time there was a difference between an Imac and Powermac but now.. there really isnt much.... I've already posted my reasonable solutions for the PM problem...

wait a minute!!! theres a huge difference between the PowerMac and the iMac! the top end iMac Sells for $1899 has a Single 1.8ghz and a SuperDrive. The Low end PowerMac sells for $1499 has a single 1.8ghz and a SuperDrive. True the iMac has a built in Screen, but also had a worse drive to make up for it.

So the High end iMac and the Low end PowerMac are about the same. But if you compare the High end PM to the High end iMac the PM cost $1,000 more but it has a 2.7 ghz Processor (about 1ghz faster and its a Dual) The PM comes with more Ram (512 instead of 256). The PM comes with a better Video Card (256mbs vs. 64mbs) and has support for Two 30" displays (8 million pixels!) The PM comes with a 250gb HD and has up to 800gbs the iMac has a 160gb HD and has up to a 250gb.

So lets see:

250gb HD (Upgrade for iMac)= $100

256mb Ram (Upgrade for iMac)= $75

256mbs of Video Ram= (about) $180

16x SuperDrive (Dual Layer) (For iMac) (Not instaled) = $85

Installation for Super Drive= $99

1ghz Second Processor for iMac= $300

Total Cost of iMac G5 with Updates= $2738

Mac OS X Tiger= $129

Total Cost of iMac G5 and Mac OS X Tiger: $2,867

Hmmm... That seems like a pretty close price... but that doesn't includ all the installations of the Video Ram and the processor (which by the way is impossible to replace in the iMac) So with a entire new board with a 2.7ghz Dual Processors and 256 Video Ram Cost: $40,000 ;)

Also, I believe that this is a minor update for the PowerMacs just to get them on Tiger... I think we'll see a new update within 4 months. (Mac Expo in Paris!)

So don't get Mad :mad: get glad! :)

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
w_parietti22 said:
wait a minute!!! theres a huge difference between the PowerMac and the iMac! the top end iMac Sells for $1899 has a Single 1.8ghz and a SuperDrive. The Low end PowerMac sells for $1499 has a single 1.8ghz and a SuperDrive. True the iMac has a built in Screen, but also had a worse drive to make up for it.

So the High end iMac and the Low end PowerMac are about the same. But if you compare the High end PM to the High end iMac the PM cost $1,000 more but it has a 2.7 ghz Processor (about 1ghz faster and its a Dual) The PM comes with more Ram (512 instead of 256). The PM comes with a better Video Card (256mbs vs. 64mbs) and has support for Two 30" displays (8 million pixels!) The PM comes with a 250gb HD and has up to 800gbs the iMac has a 160gb HD and has up to a 250gb.

So lets see:

Mac OS X Tiger= $129

Hmmm... That seems like a pretty close price... but that doesn't includ all the installations of the Video Ram and the processor (which by the way is impossible to replace in the iMac) So with a entire new board with a 2.7ghz Dual Processors and 256 Video Ram Cost: $40,000 ;)

Also, I believe that this is a minor update for the PowerMacs just to get them on Tiger... I think we'll see a new update within 4 months. (Mac Expo in Paris!)

The point is that the iMacs are about to be updated so you should consider comparing updated iMacs to the 1.8 PM.

As for schools not needing a PM to be listed on the Apple Store b/c schools can get custom machines, that might apply to a school like UCLA, but not your local high school. And as for that being a reason to put them on the 'sale' page, you really have to put yourself in Apple's perspective to understand what's going on w/ the 1.8. Schools are unusual in that they don't care too much about price when they choose to buy, but once they choose to buy, they are concerned about price. I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but I think it's true. For example, a school won't care too much how much Apples cost (they need to have some Apples in the computer lab), but once they make the choice to buy 50 of them, they wouldn't upgrade them even if it cost $25 to get a dual processor.

Apple knows education better than anyone and they're able to profit like nobody else on the fact that the computers in schools have the most ridiculous configurations imaginable (eg: 1.8 G5 w/ 256 RAM). That's why the 1.8 is there.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
From Appleinsider:

"May 01 -9:00 pm EST Based on information from industry contacts, it's expected that Apple this week will begin shipping to dealers several new consumer hardware offerings. Specifically, sources are expecting new iMac G5 and eMac G4 systems. However, revised iBooks are not expected to be part of this next wave of product announcements. Still, unconfirmed reports indicate that the current line of iBooks could see some form of price reduction in the next few weeks."

berol

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
slooksterPSV said:
Think they will be released tomorrow - Monday May 2nd?
not a chance if they haven't been shipped to stores like Appleinsider claims

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I'm guessing it might be like last week with the PowerMacs. Units will ship on Monday with the annoucement on Wednesday with (more or less) immediate availability.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
w_parietti22 said:

So lets see:

Mac OS X Tiger= $129

The 2.7 PM does not support 2 30" ONLY one ;) with the 9650 ;)

aranhamo

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
CompUSA Inventory

When I went to my local CompUSA for the Tiger opening, they only had 11 17" iMacs on the floor and 2 20" iMacs; the sales guy told me that everything they had was out on the floor (ie. they didn't have 100 iMacs in the back). I don't know much about inventory, but that doesn't seem like much for a store the size of CompUSA. New iMacs soon?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
admanimal said:
I'm guessing it might be like last week with the PowerMacs. Units will ship on Monday with the annoucement on Wednesday with (more or less) immediate availability.

Which means I'll be in Chicago on Wednesday :D

I wonder if Wednesday will be the new Tuesday.....

The only thing that is a bit of a pain with Chicago will be the parking.

But I just read that they have free parking if you buy a CPU, haha, damn, that's kind of funny, but I'll take advantage of it.

D

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
admanimal said:
Hey, someone take a photo of the iMacs wrapped in black plastic like the Power Mac photo from last week. We want proof. Well, sort-of, kind-of proof. Just stamp "1.8 and 2.0GHz iMacs" across the photo. Heck, take the same photo and put those words on there, we don't care. It could be microwave ovens, or maybe iMacs in there. JUST GIVE US SOME OTHER SHRED OF HOPE, PLEASE!

Come on, everyone, repeat after me:

Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday or Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

It's the power of positive thinking!

Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
ImAlwaysRight said:
Come on, everyone, repeat after me:

Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday or Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

It's the power of positive thinking!

Tuesday Wednesday, Tuesday Wednesday...

I am sure Steve is listening...

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
aswitcher said:
I am sure Steve is listening...
Yes, I am. :D ;) lol

Tuesday! (or Wednesday)... or even any day between now and Friday for that matter. I can wait a few more days... It'll happen soon. :)

arklab

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
arklab said:
Well, I droped in on a local Apple store (as well as a CompUSA) for the tiger party last night, and got a nice doorprise!
Although the Apple rep "had heard nothing about a new Imac G5" (he really needs his job, I guess), when I mentioned that all the rumors had me convinced not to buy until Rev B, he kinda smiled and just said ...

"See you next Tuesday". ;)

I guess he will at that! :D

I stopped by the same CompUSA this morning to return a wireless mouse I (mistakenly) bought on impulse last Friday night.
The Apple Rep. (not a CompUSA guy) who had tipped me Friday saw me from a couple of isles away and just softly said "Tuesday ... not MONDAY!
Then he saw the return and just smiled. :p :p :p

tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ...

Arrggghhhh!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
arklab said:
I stopped by the same CompUSA this morning to return a wireless mouse I (mistakenly) bought on impulse last Friday night.
The Apple Rep. (not a CompUSA guy) who had tipped me Friday saw me from a couple of isles away and just softly said "Tuesday ... not MONDAY!
Then he saw the return and just smiled. :p :p :p

You're lucky you have such a nice Apple rep at your CompUSA. I asked the one at my local store "So when are you going to have the updated iMacs?" And his reply was simply "There are no updated iMacs." Way to make a customer (who desperately wants to give you $1900) feel like an idiot. I'll be driving an hour to the nearest Apple store to get mine instead. Not that I was expecting an actual answer...but he could have been nicer.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
ImAlwaysRight said:
Who cares about the iBooks ... BRING ON THE NEW IMACS ALREADY!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for pointing out that quote. It seems Tuesday's the day. If not, I'm gonna be depressed. :(

Please don't get too depressed, we want you to stay around. Patience is often needed with Apple. The announcement could be any day this week, maybe as mentioned on Wednesday. Apple is into the nontraditional.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
arklab said:
Are you saying the new iMacs will be announced tomorrow? Is that what he was implying?

arklab

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
And his reply was simply "There are no updated iMacs."

Actually, so did mine. He just went on to say "See you on Tuesday".

I assume that it means something. :rolleyes:

We will see ....

arklab

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
Patience is often needed with Apple.

You should try being an Amiga owner!!! :eek:

And maybe I should update my Apple ][+, except it's already just about perfect and does not require software updates.
Those 5 1/4" floppys are getting darn hard to get, though.
Esp. the single sided ones. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.