Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
iBooks?

How about the iBooks? and any news on whether the new machines will have Tiger installed? i wonder when they will start installing Tiger in all the machines, including the ones currently sold on the Apple Store website (ie. Mac Mini) :rolleyes:

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
USA Today Confirmation?

In the USA Today review of Tiger that is linked from MacBytes, this line stood out to me:

"On the other machine I tested it on, an iMac G5, Apple preinstalled Tiger."

Hmmmm...

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
Let's hope they do something fun. I'm going to the Vegas store tomorrow. It's a two hour drive. As soon as I sell my car I'm getting either a PM 2.3 and 20" cinema, or save some dough and buy a new iMac IF they come out within the next week. Here's hoping.

Meemoo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
Sugar Land TX
Price cuts please

Since the introduction of the iMac G5 the 20in ACD's have dropped $500 from $1299 to $999 to $799. This means displays are getting cheaper for apple. The iMac G5 20" was introduced at $1899, but now with LCD technology so much cheaper it should be $1399, but this would compete too much with the iMac 17" as you'd get a much bigger screen for $100 more.

What apple should do is go with 3 screen sizes of iMacs just like last gen.

17" $1299
20" $1499
23" HD $1899

If they don't price cut the 20" iMac they better add a ton of much more important hardware such as more ram, waay better graphics card, bigger HD, and a better processor.

Do you think when the new iMacs come out if I added a faster HD and 2GBs of Ram with the rumored 9600 128MB card I could run Halo, C&C: Generals, and Sims 2 in high resolution and detail?

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
fanbrain said:
Let's hope they do something fun. I'm going to the Vegas store tomorrow. It's a two hour drive. As soon as I sell my car I'm getting either a PM 2.3 and 20" cinema, or save some dough and buy a new iMac IF they come out within the next week. Here's hoping.

i hope u sell your car after you get back from the drive......othwise it will be a long walk :D

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Look at the MacRumors' buyer's guide, the iMac, eMac and iBook are bound to be updated really soon. However, I'm a bit sceptic to TS' specs of the iMac because I think they would compete too much with the PowerMacs. But I really hope TS are right because I think those iMac specs look awesome!

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
ibookowner2 said:
I highly doubt they would unveal any updates on the 29th

i bet they will. apple is throwing a fat party at all its stores, it makes sense to release some new stuff for all the pc people coming in to see what's going down. if they throw in a 10% discount and whatnot, they'd sell like hotcakes. especially mini's and imacs.

on the ibook front: i think in a week or two. it would be terrible strategy for apple to have hardware out there that isn't able to run its own software at seemlessly. after apple gets the imacs and emacs off its backs, it'll be quite soon after that.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
I dunno if this is any indication of anything, but I went into my local Apple Store tonight to see what was going on and the place seemed a bit sparse. Especially over by the iMacs, they just had 2 models instead of the usual 3 at the front of the place and only one of the little "pricing" cards next to the 17". Maybe they'd just moved things around since the last time I'd been in there, but... I hope it's because there's a refresh tomorrow (erm, in a few hours). :D

Has anyone actually confirmed that 10% off thing, anyway? Or is it just speculation based on the past. If it's true, maybe I'll pick up a bigger iPod or something tomorrow.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Shipping days in the UK store are now 5 days on all 3 current models, as opposed to the normally vague 7-10 where it's been at for a while.

That 5 day shipping would be available on Tuesday ... the traditional weekday that Apple releases new products ...

Hmmm.....

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
"logical" CPUs

I hope this "logical CPU" variable is not used for counting cores as ThinkSecret suggests. A core in a multicore chip, is after all, a real CPU with less memory bandwidth.

The term should be used for referring to CMT, so if you have two cores capable of holding two threads each, the count would be 4, not 2.

Ozzieman

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Just got back from my local Dealer

Tiger went on sale at 1 minute past 6 Australian time

but no specials or discounts on any other machines

Had a talk to the store manager and asked for an under the counter answer to the iMac releases and he said Quote

Apple are behind getting them out

expect it Monday Tues

Specs please 2.0 gig with a better grphics card and a higher speed burner

at this point in time no price reduction but they haven't been given costings as yet

Dark Horse

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Ozzieman said:
Had a talk to the store manager and asked for an under the counter answer to the iMac releases and he said Quote
Apple are behind getting them out
expect it Monday Tues

C'uh! You could have asked him about iBooks while you were there! ;)

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
EricNau said:
I'm trying to switch over to Mac from Windows, but they just can't make it easy. There's no way I'm going to buy before they update, but I've been waiting for a long time, and am starting to think it may never be comming! :(
Give yourself a break. :) They'll be out within a week. :p Congrats on your soon-switch! :)

arklab

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
"See you on Tuesday"

Well, I droped in on a local Apple store (as well as a CompUSA) for the tiger party last night, and got a nice doorprise!
Although the Apple rep "had heard nothing about a new Imac G5" (he really needs his job, I guess), when I mentioned that all the rumors had me convinced not to buy until Rev B, he kinda smiled and just said ...

"See you next Tuesday". ;)

I guess he will at that! :D

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
My theories about no new iMac/eMac this week are

1) Apple had lots to ship by way of PMs and Tiger this week, too busy to do more than they already had on their plate

2) They can use the Tiger weekend to clear out inventory as those holding off now buy that Tiger is available

3) PMs are hardly what they were hoped to be now so why allow potentially bad press to mar the release of iMacs/eMacs. I figure Tiger out a few days after the PMs will bury most negative press and discussions about them

4) iMacs and eMacs next week or even the week after allow Apple to build upon the hype around Tiger to keep Apple in the media as doing new and exciting things, bring more switchers as faster, better and even cheaper machines appear

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Since apple lowered their price on the LCD, the iMac prices should decrease as well.

I expect a hardware increase along with a price decrease ... not like the recent powermac upgrade.

bxb03a

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Also take note that MacMall has reduced their inventory, they no longer offer the 1.8 20" wireless bundle, looks like its right around the corner

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
macridah said:
Since apple lowered their price on the LCD, the iMac prices should decrease as well.

I expect a hardware increase along with a price decrease ... not like the recent powermac upgrade.
A price decrease of at least $100 per system would be appropriate, but with all the upgrades coming (processor, video card, video memory, system memory, hard drive, BT2 option), I highly doubt Apple will drop the iMac prices. The Power Macs should have been decreased in price by a couple hundred bucks each, but were not, and I'm sure Apple will follow the same pattern.

Look at current pricing: you can get a 20" LCD + single 1.8 PM for $800 + 1500 = $2300, and since a single 2.0GHz G5 iMac 20" will cost $1900 at the old price point, I doubt Apple will lower the price any further. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.