Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I agree with the other posters. Last month, I bought a 2019 27” iMac i5 from the Refurbished store, and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’m a hobbiest who does web design, photography, music, and video, and it’s a major upgrade from my 2012 Mac mini and 2015 MBP. The screen is gorgeous, especially compared to my old 1080P monitor. Since the pixels are invisible to me at normal viewing distance, I don’t know what the benefit of 6K or 8K would be in a 27” screen. I don’t understand why some people have a problem with the bezels and the chin. They don’t distract me from my work. If you need a new computer, then there’s no reason to wait.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Decided to buy iMac 27". However looking it at multiple forums and sites, pretty clear that current iMac design is dated and need an upgrade with less bezels, better SSD upgrades, 6k or 8k display etc.

Not that the current model and design is bad, but one would prefer to have the latest model when spending $$$$.

Rumours has it that an upgrade is long overdue and should be out soon.

Any thoughts or insights please?
Wait unless you need the machine right now.
[doublepost=1566757436][/doublepost]
I agree with the other posters. Last month, I bought a 2019 27” iMac i5 from the Refurbished store, and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’m a hobbiest who does web design, photography, music, and video, and it’s a major upgrade from my 2012 Mac mini and 2015 MBP. The screen is gorgeous, especially compared to my old 1080P monitor. Since the pixels are invisible to me at normal viewing distance, I don’t know what the benefit of 6K or 8K would be in a 27” screen. I don’t understand why some people have a problem with the bezels and the chin. They don’t distract me from my work. If you need a new computer, then there’s no reason to wait.
6 or 8K (more likely 6) would come in a larger size. If they shrink the bezels down and remove the chin, they can push it to 32 inches.

I have a 2017 5K maxed out and I love it, but if they release a 6k with a larger screen, I’m scooping one up and not looking back.

I do think they will release the iMac Pro as the first redesign, though.

Reactions: Icaras

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Will wait..dont "need" one now..would like one but it would be nice if they offered SSD instead of Fusion, never owned an imac before but will wait and see what they come out with in September/October, or just wait til next yr

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Will wait..dont "need" one now..would like one but it would be nice if they offered SSD instead of Fusion, never owned an imac before but will wait and see what they come out with in September/October, or just wait til next yr
You can always choose to get an iMac with SSD, but at additional cost.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Is it a want or a need (ie work related)? Only
you can decide. I went without an iMac for far too long relying on endless rumours on here. Finally the 2019 rolled out and I grabbed one - no regrets.

And I agree with the chin sentiment - don’t even notice it when I’m using the Mac why do people make such a big deal out of it?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I understand talking about bezels on a mobile device, but on an iMac there is almost no need for going bezel-less. Of course this will happen at some time, but I don't believe it is a priority, especially now that Jony Ive is not in charge of design.

_Skyfire_

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
If you absolutely need an iMac now, go ahead and buy it.

However we are due if not a redesign, at least a spec bump into a Navi GPU fairly soon. If you want to do anything graphically intensive, that's defo worth waiting for.

ag11

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
Sydney
Thanks much guys. Appreciate your responses.

Agree that iMac in current state is truly awesome.

It's not that I need it absolute now. I can wait a while.

Key reason I asked is that if anyone here have any indication of when possibly Apple comes out with the new redesigned version?

Cheers.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Key reason I asked is that if anyone here have any indication of when possibly Apple comes out with the new redesigned version?

No indications here or on any other fan forums, only rumors, hearsays and wishful (and most of the time unrealistic) thinkings of users

Reactions: mikehalloran

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I’ve been waiting for 7 years. Here’s to 2020.

I understand talking about bezels on a mobile device, but on an iMac there is almost no need for going bezel-less. Of course this will happen at some time, but I don't believe it is a priority, especially now that Jony Ive is not in charge of design.

This argument is crazy whenever I hear this.

“...but on an iMac there is almost no need for going bezel-less”

Really? Why? Look at the Apple XDR Pro display and your logic immediately makes no sense.

A slim bezel iMac is undoubtedly incoming. It’s not a matter of how or why. It’s simply just a matter of when.

krazzix

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Netherlands
I would wait. The 2019 iMac was a good update, but compared to the changes to the laptops and the Mac mini you can see that Apple didn't put that much effort in the 2019 iMac.

I highly suspect the new iMac to be a redesign, with SSD by default, T2 (or a new T3) chip, USB-C, smaller bezels, and maybe some new goodies.

There won't be a new desktop Intel CPU before somewhere in 2020, so I would expect the new iMac to arrive somewhere 3rd/4th quarter of 2020.

Reactions: ondert

FrankyDM

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Brussels
I ordered the i9 iMac and expect it next week.

Been using a 2016 MacBook Pro for 3 years, most of the time connected to a 30 inch monitor, but it's underpowered, overheating, screen suffers from flex-gate and now the keyboard, you know, does what most recent Mac keyboards do ...

The biggest drawback of iMac to me is that it's only 27" and I'm somewhat afraid I'll be disappointed and find it too small (less vertical real-estate). If so, I can always put the iMac under my desk and keep using my 30" monitor...
I know this sounds like a crazy thing to do, but - already having a great monitor - all I wanted Apple to make is a normal, affordable Mac without screen. Mac Pro is not worth the price for me, and Mac Mini uses 8th gen CPUs, throttles badly and has terrible graphics.

So my advice would be to just buy now. The Intel 8-core i9 is state of the art, and will remain so for the next 12 months or so. (Comet Lake will come sooner than that, but offers little extra besides Wifi6).

Reactions: choreo

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I’ve been waiting for 7 years. Here’s to 2020.

This argument is crazy whenever I hear this.

“...but on an iMac there is almost no need for going bezel-less”

Really? Why? Look at the Apple XDR Pro display and your logic immediately makes no sense.

A slim bezel iMac is undoubtedly incoming. It’s not a matter of how or why. It’s simply just a matter of when.

I said that it is definitely coming, but I insist that this is not a top priority for Apple right now. The iPad would benefit more from a bezel-less display. The MacBook Pro also, so I believe they will get the treatment first, before we see any iMac new design.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I said that it is definitely coming, but I insist that this is not a top priority for Apple right now. The iPad would benefit more from a bezel-less display. The MacBook Pro also, so I believe they will get the treatment first, before we see any iMac new design.

You did say that. Sorry. I do agree that all the mobile devices will get the treatment first. The question is whether this fall’s 10.2” iPad will get all screen display with thin bezels, but I doubt it. MBP 16” definitely.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I've been wanting to get a new computer for a while, but I want wait until the iMac has a T2 (or equivalent when this ships) chip in it. To me, it seems weird that every other Mac has dropped the HDD/Fusion drive and gone straight SSD for what seems like over a year now, yet the iMac still has it. I'd hate for Apple to release a future version of macOS (10.16? 10.17? 11?) that requires the T2 chip, and hence run on all current Macs except for the iMac.

Like others, I can wait. My current setup works for my needs.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
The biggest drawback of iMac to me is that it's only 27" and I'm somewhat afraid I'll be disappointed and find it too small (less vertical real-estate).

Are there any shops or places around where you can spend some time with the display?

I can always put the iMac under my desk and keep using my 30" monitor...
I know this sounds like a crazy thing to do, but - already having a great monitor - all I wanted Apple to make is a normal, affordable Mac without screen. Mac Pro is not worth the price for me, and Mac Mini uses 8th gen CPUs, throttles badly and has terrible graphics.

Still, since you already have a great monitor you like, I think you’d probably be better off with a specced out Mac Mini and an eGPU than an iMac under your desk.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I would really like to see a refresh that brings back the G4 iMac or Microsoft Surface Studio style monitor that can easily move, and have a builtin touch + pen input screen. Yes, yes, I know macOS isn't built for touch, but a lot of apps are. Plus, it can really help with graphic pros. And you know what? If you don't need touch, you don't need to use touch.

FrankyDM

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Brussels
Are there any shops or places around where you can spend some time with the display?

Yes, I've spent some time with one in a local shop, and that's where i got the feeling I might miss the vertical space. I don't watch movies on a computer, but work with lots of documents, so the less scrolling, the better.
(I'm a developer and video editor and work with lots of virtual machines that need memory and CPU cores)

Still, since you already have a great monitor you like, I think you’d probably be better off with a specced out Mac Mini and an eGPU than an iMac under your desk.

I've been looking into the Mac Mini ever since they refreshed it, but it just doesn't make any sense, and I finally decided against it:
- It's 3400 EUR (with BlackMagic eGPU included, I'd get that one because I want quiet) as opposed to 4000 for the iMac I ordered
- eGPUs have their own issues and lose a lot of performance due to Thunderbolt overhead
- The top Mac Mini is a 6 core, 8th gen CPU, which many report to be throttling badly.

My iMac will likely arrive on Friday, and I'll see. Perhaps I'll try using it with my 30 inch monitor as second display.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Reactions: CE3

elvisthebeagle

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2019
Bellingham, WA
Yes, I've spent some time with one in a local shop, and that's where i got the feeling I might miss the vertical space. I don't watch movies on a computer, but work with lots of documents, so the less scrolling, the better.
(I'm a developer and video editor and work with lots of virtual machines that need memory and CPU cores)

I've been looking into the Mac Mini ever since they refreshed it, but it just doesn't make any sense, and I finally decided against it:
- It's 3400 EUR (with BlackMagic eGPU included, I'd get that one because I want quiet) as opposed to 4000 for the iMac I ordered
- eGPUs have their own issues and lose a lot of performance due to Thunderbolt overhead
- The top Mac Mini is a 6 core, 8th gen CPU, which many report to be throttling badly.

My iMac will likely arrive on Friday, and I'll see. Perhaps I'll try using it with my 30 inch monitor as second display.
Thanks for your suggestions!

elvisthebeagle

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2019
Bellingham, WA
I have a “Loaded” except RAM ( bought 64GB for OWC ) 27” iMac coming Friday also. I went though the purchase options. I have a 2014 Mac air so I’m covered there for my needs. Mac mini. Once I add a Monitor, eGPU, RAM, Track Pad, I am up to the iMac price. I want the T2 chip so I looked, purchased then returned a iMac Pro. Read the Catalina OS features then look at the requirements.
2. 4K, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and HDR10 content is available on all Mac models introduced in 2018 or later with 4K-resolution screen.
The 27” iMac pro desktop is a early 2017 machine not capable no matter what add ons will play back 4K HDCP 2.2 DRM Media AKA “Netflix”, 4k commercial disc (4k Blu ray ) movies, Games that have this copy protection and future software that will be using it. The only thing right now that will decode or work with this media / copy protection are dedicated devices designed for 4K playback, ( I do not know about iPads / iPhones ) computers with intel Kabylake or later CPU with onboard Intel graphics that start with “UHD”. After Kabylake I think all Intel CPU’s will work with all Intel onboard graphics. Just now AMD has announced 7mm GPU’s “Vega II” and or new CPU’s that require a special driver, Windows 10 that will work. Catalina will allow Apple users to run this without Windows 10.

I believe that the T2 chip is very important. It boosts Video, audio, security and more. I also do not think that Apple will make their Operating systems dependent on the T2 for at least 3 years. That seems to be the cycle of Apple support. It would also spur another class action suit for leaving new products “out in the cold”. Note: Studios do not want their content pirated so they incorporate DRM and HDCP 2.2. Apple’s T2 chip could in future serve a similar function controlling what software can run on a machine.

Apple is not doing anything that any good business would do. Base model machines at any computer company are bare bones so to say “starts at...”. They on the flip side give as a ton of support and yearly updates at no cost. Well, maybe the Apple Support cost that I feel is very reasonable. They as least for me when something goes down “Made in China” they take care of it in a couple of working days. They are far from perfect but for me a much better option that any other company. They don’t try to be all things to everybody. They just try to do a select amount as perfectly as todays tech will allow.

Cheers!!!!

Reactions: Wolf1701

elvisthebeagle

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2019
Bellingham, WA
I stumbled across this video here

My current desktop iMac is from 2011 and no longer supported. It still works great but it is time for a new machine. For me computers are important tools. To me the computers abilities and how those match my needs are how I purchase. The design is always a plus if it is appealing, but I prefer function.
If your current system is filling your needs and not slowing down production then wait. There will always be a new model. As for Apple redesigning the iMac desktop my best guess would be that the iMac Pro would be first, then the iMac. Remember, Apple is on the verge ( 1-2 years ) from using their own in-house CPUs. Also they believe that the future is the iPad. Early next year Catalina OS will make a iPad a second monitor and more. Imagine that they make a iPad as powerful as their top Mac Book Pro and that could wirelessly connect to several 4,5 and 8K monitors.
The desktop because I am “old school” will always be my preferance because of the power it will always have over a laptop and or a iPad. Apple will make all of these machines completely interactive in the next couple of years. Intel and AMD has held them back so they are getting rid of the obstacles and create some exciting stuff.
A short answer would be “Function over form”.

Cheers!

P.S. The iMac Pro is outdated in any configuration and to my knowledge not compatible with 4K DRM HDCP 2.2 and HDR10.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I have a “Loaded” except RAM ( bought 64GB for OWC ) 27” iMac coming Friday also. I went though the purchase options. I have a 2014 Mac air so I’m covered there for my needs. Mac mini. Once I add a Monitor, eGPU, RAM, Track Pad, I am up to the iMac price. I want the T2 chip so I looked, purchased then returned a iMac Pro. Read the Catalina OS features then look at the requirements.
2. 4K, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and HDR10 content is available on all Mac models introduced in 2018 or later with 4K-resolution screen.
The 27” iMac pro desktop is a early 2017 machine not capable no matter what add ons will play back 4K HDCP 2.2 DRM Media AKA “Netflix”, 4k commercial disc (4k Blu ray ) movies,...
unless running Windows. This has been working since 2017 so it might not really be a hardware issue.

Let’s see what happens in the new apps that replace iTunes in a few weeks.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I would love to see a return to the iMac G4 format, so I mocked up one possible option by cutting together pieces of other current/upcoming Macs. I am not set on this look, just the format, but wanted to highlight some possibilities.

iMac_mock.png

Ergonomics are important for computers. Height adjustment is a major part of this as the user's eyes should be level with the top of the screen. The fixed height of the current iMac is bad for this. The screen is too high for me, so it cannot be solved with a riser. I have gone with a new Pro monitor style arm, but would also like the iMac G4 look for this. The important thing is adjustability.

Cooling is not restricted by having the screen in the way, which is a hot component itself. I went with the new Mac Pro style ventilation to highlight the potential for much better heat management.

Speakers could be in the base, meaning no need for a chin. And having all the computer components in the base means there is not the need for such a heavy duty stand. It also means the screen can be thin and elegant. The image has the same screen thickness as a MacBook Pro lid.

Small bezels should be easy. I tried the rounded corners, although I am not sold on the idea, but thought it worth showing them.

Hopefully the side of the base can open up to allow access to RAM and NVMe SSD slots (4 RAM, 2 SSD please).

The image shows 30" 16:10 screen. The iMac has gone through most Apple display sizes except the biggest. The 30" had the same horizontal resolution as the 27", but extra vertical pixels. As many iMac users are limited on desk footprint, vertical is the least problematic dimension for expanding in, and is great for scrolling content such as coding, word processing, and many websites. The Retina resolution would be 5120x3200. This change is not dependant on the G4 format, it is something I would like to see in the iMac whatever, but a taller screen makes height adjustment for ergonomics even more important.

I went with a rounded cube for the base, but it could just as easily be conical (sloping sides prevent anyone covering the hot base with papers, or other fire risk). I also considered something like a closed MacBook, a large GPU and built in PSU replacing the battery space. It would all be nice and thin, but would require a much longer arm (fore-aft movement becomes on issue due to bigger arc, unless there is an extra joint to truly deserve the Anglepoise nickname the G4 had), and has the problem of being a repository for desk detritus and the resulting fire risk on a hot computer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.