Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I would love to see a return to the iMac G4 format, so I mocked up one possible option by cutting together pieces of other current/upcoming Macs. I am not set on this look, just the format, but wanted to highlight some possibilities.

View attachment 855294

Ergonomics are important for computers. Height adjustment is a major part of this as the user's eyes should be level with the top of the screen. The fixed height of the current iMac is bad for this. The screen is too high for me, so it cannot be solved with a riser. I have gone with a new Pro monitor style arm, but would also like the iMac G4 look for this. The important thing is adjustability.

Cooling is not restricted by having the screen in the way, which is a hot component itself. I went with the new Mac Pro style ventilation to highlight the potential for much better heat management.

Speakers could be in the base, meaning no need for a chin. And having all the computer components in the base means there is not the need for such a heavy duty stand. It also means the screen can be thin and elegant. The image has the same screen thickness as a MacBook Pro lid.

Small bezels should be easy. I tried the rounded corners, although I am not sold on the idea, but thought it worth showing them.

Hopefully the side of the base can open up to allow access to RAM and NVMe SSD slots (4 RAM, 2 SSD please).

The image shows 30" 16:10 screen. The iMac has gone through most Apple display sizes except the biggest. The 30" had the same horizontal resolution as the 27", but extra vertical pixels. As many iMac users are limited on desk footprint, vertical is the least problematic dimension for expanding in, and is great for scrolling content such as coding, word processing, and many websites. The Retina resolution would be 5120x3200. This change is not dependant on the G4 format, it is something I would like to see in the iMac whatever, but a taller screen makes height adjustment for ergonomics even more important.

I went with a rounded cube for the base, but it could just as easily be conical (sloping sides prevent anyone covering the hot base with papers, or other fire risk). I also considered something like a closed MacBook, a large GPU and built in PSU replacing the battery space. It would all be nice and thin, but would require a much longer arm (fore-aft movement becomes on issue due to bigger arc, unless there is an extra joint to truly deserve the Anglepoise nickname the G4 had), and has the problem of being a repository for desk detritus and the resulting fire risk on a hot computer.

Oh no. What about VESA mount

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I would love to see a return to the iMac G4 format, so I mocked up one possible option by cutting together pieces of other current/upcoming Macs. I am not set on this look, just the format, but wanted to highlight some possibilities.

View attachment 855294

Ergonomics are important for computers. Height adjustment is a major part of this as the user's eyes should be level with the top of the screen. The fixed height of the current iMac is bad for this. The screen is too high for me, so it cannot be solved with a riser. I have gone with a new Pro monitor style arm, but would also like the iMac G4 look for this. The important thing is adjustability.

Cooling is not restricted by having the screen in the way, which is a hot component itself. I went with the new Mac Pro style ventilation to highlight the potential for much better heat management.

Speakers could be in the base, meaning no need for a chin. And having all the computer components in the base means there is not the need for such a heavy duty stand. It also means the screen can be thin and elegant. The image has the same screen thickness as a MacBook Pro lid.

Small bezels should be easy. I tried the rounded corners, although I am not sold on the idea, but thought it worth showing them.

Hopefully the side of the base can open up to allow access to RAM and NVMe SSD slots (4 RAM, 2 SSD please).

The image shows 30" 16:10 screen. The iMac has gone through most Apple display sizes except the biggest. The 30" had the same horizontal resolution as the 27", but extra vertical pixels. As many iMac users are limited on desk footprint, vertical is the least problematic dimension for expanding in, and is great for scrolling content such as coding, word processing, and many websites. The Retina resolution would be 5120x3200. This change is not dependant on the G4 format, it is something I would like to see in the iMac whatever, but a taller screen makes height adjustment for ergonomics even more important.

I went with a rounded cube for the base, but it could just as easily be conical (sloping sides prevent anyone covering the hot base with papers, or other fire risk). I also considered something like a closed MacBook, a large GPU and built in PSU replacing the battery space. It would all be nice and thin, but would require a much longer arm (fore-aft movement becomes on issue due to bigger arc, unless there is an extra joint to truly deserve the Anglepoise nickname the G4 had), and has the problem of being a repository for desk detritus and the resulting fire risk on a hot computer.
Great job on the write up and those bezels are extremely sexy. But the cube base is an awkward blocky monolith beneath the computer that doesn’t take any inspiration from the iMacs that came before it. Looks like a cheap Mac Pro imitation and not the next iMac design.
the-evolution-of-the-imac-from-1998-to-today-1.jpg

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Great job on the write up and those bezels are extremely sexy. But the cube base is an awkward blocky monolith beneath the computer that doesn’t take any inspiration from the iMacs that came before it. Looks like a cheap Mac Pro imitation and not the next iMac design.
the-evolution-of-the-imac-from-1998-to-today-1.jpg

I did say it was about the format rather than the looks. I'd put it together from the looks of current/upcoming Macs because when I've mentioned wanting the G4 format in the past, people were commenting on the looks as if I was looking for a return to the exact styling of that model, saying it was dated.

A new iMac is likely to have the styling inspired by the current Mac range instead of past iMacs. The base is based on the Mac Pro without legs and handles, with the shape inspired by the inner layer of the Power Mac G4 cube. I went with that option so I could show the potential for better cooling.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I did say it was about the format rather than the looks. I'd put it together from the looks of current/upcoming Macs because when I've mentioned wanting the G4 format in the past, people were commenting on the looks as if I was looking for a return to the exact styling of that model, saying it was dated.

A new iMac is likely to have the styling inspired by the current Mac range instead of past iMacs. The base is based on the Mac Pro without legs and handles, with the shape inspired by the inner layer of the Power Mac G4 cube. I went with that option so I could show the potential for better cooling.

I understand why you styled it the way you did. But history has shown us the iMac has never taken its design cues from the Mac Pro. And because of the cost of the Mac Pro, I doubt it will take on its design from that. The Apple Cinema Display first was made to match the G4 and G5 Mac Pros and then was styled after the Macbook all-aluminum models. The ACD then became the Thunderbolt Display in 2011 and that took it's design inspiration from the current crop of iMacs.

The Mac Pro body itself has never even come close to having the same design as an iMac. So why would the next iMac take on the cheese grater style? They don't need the cheese grater to help with cooling as they've already delivered better cooling on the iMac Pro. It serves no practical purpose. Machining the new Mac Pro case is NOT cheap and there's simply no need to write that expense into the cost of the iMac since the main function of the case is cooling.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I understand why you styled it the way you did. But history has shown us the iMac has never taken its design cues from the Mac Pro. And because of the cost of the Mac Pro, I doubt it will take on its design from that. The Apple Cinema Display first was made to match the G4 and G5 Mac Pros and then was styled after the Macbook all-aluminum models. The ACD then became the Thunderbolt Display in 2011 and that took it's design inspiration from the current crop of iMacs.

The Mac Pro body itself has never even come close to having the same design as an iMac. So why would the next iMac take on the cheese grater style? They don't need the cheese grater to help with cooling as they've already delivered better cooling on the iMac Pro. It serves no practical purpose. Machining the new Mac Pro case is NOT cheap and there's simply no need to write that expense into the cost of the iMac since the main function of the case is cooling.

Again, I went with the design to show points, not to say it should look exactly like that.

They have improved the cooling on the iMac Pro, but it can be improved as it can throttle (e.g. https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/29/video-does-the-imac-pro-get-too-hot-when-under-load) and the ability to add RAM has been removed, not surprising when the ducting is so extensive. Are they going to add the cost of the cooling solution to the non-Pro iMac?

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
The iMac redesign is due, but that isn't happening until at least 2020 or 2021. iMacs have been on a two year upgrade cycle since 2015 and we just got a spec bump in March. The iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro all have the potential to eat into each other's sales so Apple has to make sure these aren't released within the same timeframes. If Apple continues the iMac Pro, my guess is that will be released in 2020 and a regular iMac after that in 2021.

I disagree. The iMac is the only Mac without T2 chips and lacks, along with the mini (and the iMP), of BT5.
Comet Lake S chips will allow a better management of TB3, Wifi 6 and BT5, therefore opening to a redesign of the iMac to accommodate new antennas and I/O architecture. Moreover, I would expect an update in the screen brightness and gamut, plus (hopefully) the addition of Dolby ATMOS compatible speakers (maybe aided by a new T3 chip).

We may see a new model between January and March 2020, imho. Very likely with AMD new Navi GPUs (5700, 5700 XT and perhaps a 5600/5800 option).
[doublepost=1567196844][/doublepost]Apple could use the XDR design on the iMP to differentiate and support a better cooling solution for the upcoming Cascade Lake X chips, due in December.

We might see a contextual presentation of new iMacs along with iMPs... since iMPs need to wait for a new AMD Navi cards that should arrive in January.

Last edited:

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I would leave the design as it is, maybe make it little bit thicker for better cooling. Internal design should be copied from iMP including the option to not upgrade RAM anymore (because of cooling solution). And add space grey option. Also, they should add Face ID camera and T2 chip as well.

Now for the configuration part, I will write only about 27-inch version.

Base tier: i5 4C/4T - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Low tier AMD GPU with 4 GB VRAM

Mid tier: i5 6C/6T (upgradable to i7 6C/12T) - 16 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - mid tier AMD GPU with 6 GB VRAM (option to upgrade to top tier AMD GPU with 8 GB VRAM)

Top tier: i7 6C/12T (upgradable to i9 8C/16T) - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - top tier AMD GPU with 8 GB VRAM (upgradable to Vega 48 equiv. with 8 GB VRAM and Vega 64 equiv. with 12 GB VRAM).

RAM expandable to 64 GB, SSD expandable to 4 TB.

2 TB 4, 2 USB-C, 4 USB 3.0, SD card reader with UHS-II support, 1 Gbit Ethernet (optional upgrade to 10 Gbit).

Wireless numeric keyboard included for all 27-inch models.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I would leave the design as it is, maybe make it little bit thicker for better cooling. Internal design should be copied from iMP including the option to not upgrade RAM anymore (because of cooling solution). And add space grey option. Also, they should add Face ID camera and T2 chip as well.

Now for the configuration part, I will write only about 27-inch version.

Base tier: i5 4C/4T - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Low tier AMD GPU with 4 GB VRAM

Mid tier: i5 6C/6T (upgradable to i7 6C/12T) - 16 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - mid tier AMD GPU with 6 GB VRAM (option to upgrade to top tier AMD GPU with 8 GB VRAM)

Top tier: i7 6C/12T (upgradable to i9 8C/16T) - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - top tier AMD GPU with 8 GB VRAM (upgradable to Vega 48 equiv. with 8 GB VRAM and Vega 64 equiv. with 12 GB VRAM).

RAM expandable to 64 GB, SSD expandable to 4 TB.

2 TB 4, 2 USB-C, 4 USB 3.0, SD card reader with UHS-II support, 1 Gbit Ethernet (optional upgrade to 10 Gbit).

Wireless numeric keyboard included for all 27-inch models.

I wouldn't mind it being a lot thicker if it improved the cooling and still allowed RAM upgrades. I'm not interested in FaceID as my iMac camera is almost always covered up, and don't plan on changing that.

I agree about having SSD as standard, and would like to see a numeric keyboard, but would like the option to wire it when desired, especially as it would be more secure for the other thing I'd like on the keyboard: TouchID.

Reactions: kazmac

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
wouldn't touchID require a T chip, maybe in turn that would require the computer integrated to the keyboard

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I wouldn't mind it being a lot thicker if it improved the cooling and still allowed RAM upgrades. I'm not interested in FaceID as my iMac camera is almost always covered up, and don't plan on changing that.

I agree about having SSD as standard, and would like to see a numeric keyboard, but would like the option to wire it when desired, especially as it would be more secure for the other thing I'd like on the keyboard: TouchID.

wouldn't touchID require a T chip, maybe in turn that would require the computer integrated to the keyboard

I doubt they would be going back to wired option so Face ID seems more realistic than Touch ID.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I do hope to see a redesigned iMac/iMacPro by the end of this year. Maybe with a 30" Super Retina XDR display?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I would love to see a return to the iMac G4 format

The iMac G4 was always my favorite Apple product design. It does solve the eye level problem that none of its successors' designs have been able to due.

I am sure that Apple would never do it, but I would love to see new retro-mac models with modern HW.

Maybe an updated iMac G4 with an aluminum shell and a 27" display.

I would buy it.

I have a 17" iMac G4, it works perfectly fine, but I was thinking of doing a hackintosh project and attempt to put modern internals in it. But... The idea of hacking up a perfectly working iMac G4 makes me a little sad. Plus it would probably be a very time consuming challenge.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
With Tim Cook running things, I think the reality is going to be the most boring design ever devised for a computer.

Probably welded shut. Like a giant iPad or something stupid like that.

“No vent holes”.

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Guys, I can’t understand why so many people want a larger display? Is 27" really not enough? And why does everyone say exactly 32"? With display size the computer just has to be put further away from the user, and not every table will allow this.

Drawing parallels with the new Pro display, do not forget that it is designed for many use cases, up to and including installation on the wall. In any case, the professional space of music and film studios is very different from the space at home or in the office.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Guys, I can’t understand why so many people want a larger display? Is 27" really not enough? And why does everyone say exactly 32"? With display size the computer just has to be put further away from the user, and not every table will allow this.

Drawing parallels with the new Pro display, do not forget that it is designed for many use cases, up to and including installation on the wall. In any case, the professional space of music and film studios is very different from the space at home or in the office.

The computer does not have to be put further back, it just fills a wider portion of the view.

My main reasons for wanting a larger screen is less zooming and scrolling in art packages and games engines, less scrolling in code editors and websites, etc. Basically, the more content I can fit on screen, the less I have to keep moving the view to see other parts of the content. It improves the workflow.

Not everyone is saying 32", but the main reason for saying that size is it being the common next size up for monitors. Many 4K monitors are either 27"/28" or 32", with barely any in-between. I suggested 30" which is no longer a common size, but used to be the biggest monitor Apple made.

There are also differences between the ways in which the extra space is created. Some want to have two things open side-by-side, so want an ultra wide screen such as 21:9 ratio. Other want more height for more space in a single application, so would prefer the 16:10 ratio of MacBook Pros, or even the 4:3 ratio of an iPad. Personally I want more height. I can add extra monitors if I want to view two items (I already do that with an external 27" monitor, in portrait orientation, alongside my 27" iMac). Also, extra height increases the screen space without increasing the footprint on a desk, an issue you mentioned.

pdxplm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
Apple needs to get back to making it "user" upgradeable. Love having the capability of adding my own ram or swapping out an SSD/M.2. Back to the days where it was affordable tech and easily upgraded....

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
The computer does not have to be put further back, it just fills a wider portion of the view.

My main reasons for wanting a larger screen is less zooming and scrolling in art packages and games engines, less scrolling in code editors and websites, etc. Basically, the more content I can fit on screen, the less I have to keep moving the view to see other parts of the content. It improves the workflow.

Not everyone is saying 32", but the main reason for saying that size is it being the common next size up for monitors. Many 4K monitors are either 27"/28" or 32", with barely any in-between. I suggested 30" which is no longer a common size, but used to be the biggest monitor Apple made.

There are also differences between the ways in which the extra space is created. Some want to have two things open side-by-side, so want an ultra wide screen such as 21:9 ratio. Other want more height for more space in a single application, so would prefer the 16:10 ratio of MacBook Pros, or even the 4:3 ratio of an iPad. Personally I want more height. I can add extra monitors if I want to view two items (I already do that with an external 27" monitor, in portrait orientation, alongside my 27" iMac). Also, extra height increases the screen space without increasing the footprint on a desk, an issue you mentioned.
I cannot completely agree with you for the reason that there are norms of the distance at which the user should be from the screen, depending on the diagonal. If you have a huge monitor close to you, it hurts your eyesight. The height of the monitor can also affect the angle of the user's head. An incorrect angle can lead to spinal problems. For this reason, I personally use the iMac stand.
For many years I worked for 27" and now temporarily for an secondary 21.5" (sold expensively my 27" in the hope that a major update will appear in this spring, but 2019 iMacs do not suit me).
After half a year 27" seems very large in comparsion with 21.5" and I could not use 32" because it's too big for me. While 21.5" is still not enough for me.:)

As for the rest as a whole, I agree: of course, it’s convenient to operate with data or the same video editing on a large screen. With games, only a moot point, because an increase in the diagonal will lead to an increase in resolution. Somewhere, the performance of video cards will cry loudly, which will cause additional load ...

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I cannot completely agree with you for the reason that there are norms of the distance at which the user should be from the screen, depending on the diagonal. If you have a huge monitor close to you, it hurts your eyesight. The height of the monitor can also affect the angle of the user's head. An incorrect angle can lead to spinal problems. For this reason, I personally use the iMac stand.
For many years I worked for 27" and now temporarily for an secondary 21.5" (sold expensively my 27" in the hope that a major update will appear in this spring, but 2019 iMacs do not suit me).
After half a year 27" seems very large in comparsion with 21.5" and I could not use 32" because it's too big for me. While 21.5" is still not enough for me.:)

As for the rest as a whole, I agree: of course, it’s convenient to operate with data or the same video editing on a large screen. With games, only a moot point, because an increase in the diagonal will lead to an increase in resolution. Somewhere, the performance of video cards will cry loudly, which will cause additional load ...

Why would a bigger screen hurt my eyes at the same distance? I am still focusing at the same distance. It is filling a greater proportion of my vision, but I am careful about lighting my work area carefully so that the screen and surrounding area are similar brightness.

I agree about the height, that is why I think the iMac needs height-adjustment. The G4 was the only generation to do so. I have got a height adjustable table to partially make up for it. The desk is low as I can go, but the iMac is still too high (the top of a monitor should be at eye level).

Yes, large screens can be a problem for games as it requires more performance, although I was talking about games engines, i.e. making games, not playing them. That is one of the things I need screen space for the most.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

For one, Apple is already releasing a 32” display later this year in the form of the XDR display, so it’s the next logical step for the iMac Pro. Secondly, it has the same exact PPI as the 4K and 5K iMac/iMac Pro displays so mathematically speaking, 32” gives you 6K at the same exact PPI. The pattern is this: 4K at 21.5” - 5K at 27” - 6K at 32” = 218 PPI.

I also believe the 32” size will be reserved for the iMac Pro only. Each Pro product with a display that Apple sells is now offered in two sizes, except for of course....the iMac Pro.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.