Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Support for Blu-ray disc images (ISO) and folders (BDMV)

Can you clarify how does that work, exactly? Is this just like PowerDVD or similar players for PC, that can read Blu-rays decrypted to our Hard Drives, untouched?

I also have DVDFab Media Player 3 here... currently I use this to play my DVDs and BDs, the DVDs with the VIDEO_TS folder, the Blu-rays with the BDMV (plus subfolders) and CERTIFICATE.

I didn't know any iOS player could read these folders... does it read with menus and such?

If so, how do we add to Infuse in the 1st place for it to play these contents?

P.S. I think there's also the ISO option, however I have no idea if this ISO can be created from the folders themselves, already decrypted to my HDD, or if you need to do this from the onset, with the help of AnyDVD or DVDFab, and the original disc.

To create an ISO from multiple folders I use this software:
http://www.freeisocreator.com/

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Support for Blu-ray disc images (ISO) and folders (BDMV)

Can you clarify how does that work, exactly? Is this just like PowerDVD or similar players for PC, that can read Blu-rays decrypted to our Hard Drives, untouched?

I also have DVDFab Media Player 3 here... currently I use this to play my DVDs and BDs, the DVDs with the VIDEO_TS folder, the Blu-rays with the BDMV (plus subfolders) and CERTIFICATE.

I didn't know any iOS player could read these folders... does it read with menus and such?

If so, how do we add to Infuse in the 1st place for it to play these contents?

P.S. I think there's also the ISO option, however I have no idea if this ISO can be created from the folders themselves, already decrypted to my HDD, or if you need to do this from the onset, with the help of AnyDVD or DVDFab, and the original disc.

To create an ISO from multiple folders I use this software:
http://www.freeisocreator.com/
Blu-ray support means that Infuse can make sense of the folder structure included on native Blu-ray discs (BDMV bundles). Of course, the discs need to be backed up first (Infuse does not play encrypted content).

A screenshot showing what is contained in a typical BDMV bundle is attached, and the two most common use cases are ISO and Folders. In either case, you will want to name the ISO or folder with the movie's title, and Infuse will recognize that as a playable item.

ISO/BDMV/<files>

or

Folder/BDMV/<files>

By default Infuse will play the main title of the video, but you can switch between the other various titles (special features, deleted scenes, etc...) though the Titles section of the Video tab in the Playback Menu (tap gear while a video is playing).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.07.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.07.47 AM.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 515
Reactions: gutma and Perene

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Today we're happy to release Infuse 5.4!

This update includes a mountain of changes for subtitles, some nice performance improvements for 10-bit videos, and many other really great things. The full story on what's new is below.

All-new subtitles engine
Subtitles have been entirely revamped, and we've made a ton of improvements in many areas. The result is an awesome new implementation that supports many more formats - including subtitles with fancy styling or animation effects (*pause for karaoke fans to rejoice*). Other changes include new color options, and support for subtitles in 3D videos (SBS & TAB).

infuse54-subs_2x.jpg

Awesome 10-bit video playback
10-bit videos get a nice performance boost on newer iOS devices thanks to some slick new hardware decoding options. Not only does HW decoding provide great playback performance, it unlocks hours of extra battery life as well.

infuse54-10bit_2x.jpg

And a bunch of other improvements
We've packed in a number of other smaller (but still important) improvements and fixes, and a complete list of what's new can be found here.

Happy birthday Infuse
This week marks the 4th anniversary of the original Infuse release in 2013 (wow that went by fast), and we wanted to take this opportunity to send a huge wave of thanks to our awesome users who have helped make Infuse what it is today. To celebrate, we're giving away 20 of our awesome new American Apparel shirts - they're super-soft, and have an awesome fit. To enter for the giveaway, simply leave a comment on our blog and let us know one thing you love about Infuse. Winners will be chosen at random on Friday May 12th.

Do more with PRO
Infuse gets even better when you go Pro, and now when you download Infuse 5 you can test drive all the awesome new Pro features for an entire month, for free!

As always, we love hearing from you - so please feel free to post a comment below or drop us a note anytime.

Enjoy! :cool:

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I see the issues reported in the post #342 concerning subtitles have been fixed. Since I reported them at the time, I took another photo today showing the difference now:

https://i.imgur.com/zLWkEsG.jpg

And I see that the Google Drive feature still needs to be fixed (don't know how, another player has exactly this feature available), concerning the visibility of shared contents into a single account. If this were available for the ATV as I explained it would also be perfect, since it would access lossless contents directly from the internet.

What needs to be fixed (for iOS) is the following:

- I have (Google) accounts A and B (and for the sake of this explanation, we will assume both have FREE Google Drive plans, allowing 15 GB in each one. Please don't assume it's a single, paid account).

Account A has movies #1, 2 and 3
Account B has nothing inside Google Drive, besides a trailer with 200 MB, and 5 minutes.

If I go into account A and share its contents with account B, account B will not only access the trailer, it will be able to fully access movies 1-2-3. It's as if everything was stored in account B in the first place.

So I only need to insert the login credentials from account B into the iOS player, in this case Infuse.

The "issue" that needs to be fixed is that Infuse is blind to the contents from account A in such scenario. It can only see the trailer from account B, if I insert its credentials. Meaning I need to insert the login/password from account A, too.

For someone that has only a few stuff stored in Google servers that's not a problem. If I have a few accounts, why am I complaining? It would just need to insert a few more credentials, and that's it.

For me it's a MASSIVE issue, since I have DOZENS of Google accounts and over 1 TB of data. There's so much content spread elsewhere that I need to insert 5 login credentials, and each one is from a specific content, for example:

Documentaries - account A (one of the hubs) can access files from other 20 accounts.
Movies = account B from another 35, etc.

Of course I can't enter dozens of logins+password(s), in this example 55 (or 57) in Infuse to access what I have stored. It's really spread everywhere, the only way to do this sort of thing is by sharing. That's why Infuse needs to stop being blind to Google Drive shared contents.

Last edited:
Reactions: firecore

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I see the issues reported in the post #342 concerning subtitles have been fixed. Since I reported them at the time, I took another photo today showing the difference now:

https://i.imgur.com/zLWkEsG.jpg

And I see that the Google Drive feature still needs to be fixed (don't know how, another player has exactly this feature available), concerning the visibility of shared contents into a single account. If this were available for the ATV as I explained it would also be perfect, since it would access lossless contents directly from the internet.

What needs to be fixed (for iOS) is the following:

- I have (Google) accounts A and B (and for the sake of this explanation, we will assume both have FREE Google Drive plans, allowing 15 GB in each one. Please don't assume it's a single, paid account).

Account A has movies #1, 2 and 3
Account B has nothing inside Google Drive, besides a trailer with 200 MB, and 5 minutes.

If I go into account A and share its contents with account B, account B will not only access the trailer, it will be able to fully access movies 1-2-3. It's as if everything was stored in account B in the first place.

So I only need to insert the login credentials from account B into the iOS player, in this case Infuse.

The "issue" that needs to be fixed is that Infuse is blind to the contents from account A in such scenario. It can only see the trailer from account B, if I insert its credentials. Meaning I need to insert the login/password from account A, too.

For someone that has only a few stuff stored in Google servers that's not a problem. If I have a few accounts, why am I complaining? It would just need to insert a few more credentials, and that's it.

For me it's a MASSIVE issue, since I have DOZENS of Google accounts and over 1 TB of data. There's so much content spread elsewhere that I need to insert 5 login credentials, and each one is from a specific content, for example:

Documentaries - account A (one of the hubs) can access files from other 20 accounts.
Movies = account B from another 35, etc.

Of course I can't enter insert dozens of logins+password(s), in this example 55 (or 57) in Infuse to access what I have stored. It's really spread everywhere, the only way to do this sort of thing is by sharing. That's why Infuse needs to stop being blind to Google Drive shared contents.
Great! Glad to hear subtitles are working well.

The shared Google Drive addition is something we have on our radar and will be looking into. Stay tuned. ;)

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I did a few minutes ago a test with Infuse (iOS) and a Matroska lossless version extracted from Smurfs 2, from the source reported in these links:

https://torrentfreak.com/first-pirated-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disk-appears-online-aacs-2-0-cracked-170503/
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-redfox-and-uhd-aacs-2-0-there-is-hope.68358/page-12
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16115
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=291636

I had to use MKVToolnix and convert the m2ts, since MakeMKV didn't recognize the folder in my Hard Drive. This must be the first MKV lossless extracted from a Ultra-HD Blu-ray disc.

Here's a 30 second file, it has 278 MB. MediaInfo data:
https://pastebin.com/9VpuPBaw

Download link for this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2hhyxg7fq1taog/FILETEST.mkv?dl=0

The original one has 1h44m54s and 47.4 GB, with all these tracks. I used MKVToolnix to remove 30 seconds from it.

I expected this file to not play in my IPP 9.7, however I tested Infuse and another player, and strangely the other player stuttered, but continue the playback and showed new subtitles as they appeared, while Infuse practically stopped the whole thing.

Look:

As you can see from this Youtube clip, first I played using other player, then Infuse. With all that said, I must ask you, @firecore, if this is something is going to be improved in future versions, even if it's going to stutter as you can see in the first seconds of that clip.

You can clearly see only Infuse had more difficulty playing the same file.

Also note the subtitles were displayed in the middle of the video, very small, something that didn't happen in the other player. This makes me wonder what would happen if the clip was lossy, if they would be displayed the same way. These subtitles were from the original source, they are not SRTs added to the MKV.

I also wonder what kind of lossy conversion would play the same thing fine in my iPAD, with the best possible quality. I only like to watch things in lossless, but in this case I have no choice if I want to use my iPAD for the job.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I did a few minutes ago a test with Infuse (iOS) and a Matroska lossless version extracted from Smurfs 2, from the source reported in these links:

I had to use MKVToolnix and convert the m2ts, since MakeMKV didn't recognize the folder in my Hard Drive. This must be the first MKV lossless extracted from a Ultra-HD Blu-ray disc.

Here's a 30 second file, it has 278 MB. MediaInfo data:
https://pastebin.com/9VpuPBaw

Download link for this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2hhyxg7fq1taog/FILETEST.mkv?dl=0

The original one has 1h44m54s and 47.4 GB, with all these tracks. I used MKVToolnix to remove 30 seconds from it.

I expected this file to not play in my IPP 9.7, however I tested Infuse and another player, and strangely the other player stuttered, but continue the playback and showed new subtitles as they appeared, while Infuse practically stopped the whole thing.

Look:

As you can see from this Youtube clip, first I played using other player, then Infuse. With all that said, I must ask you, @firecore, if this is something is going to be improved in future versions, even if it's going to stutter as you can see in the first seconds of that clip.

You can clearly see only Infuse had more difficulty playing the same file.

Also note the subtitles were displayed in the middle of the video, very small, something that didn't happen in the other player. This makes me wonder what would happen if the clip was lossy, if they would be displayed the same way. These subtitles were from the original source, they are not SRTs added to the MKV.

I also wonder what kind of lossy conversion would play the same thing fine in my iPAD, with the best possible quality. I only like to watch things in lossless, but in this case I have no choice if I want to use my iPAD for the job.
Unfortunately 4K HEVC videos will require HW support from Apple in order to be usable on iOS or tvOS devices. For fun, I just tried playing the sample in VLC on a late 2016 MBP, and even that was unable to play it. :(

You could use Handbrake to convert it to some flavor of h.264 and Infuse should have no problem playing it...even in 4K resolution.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
With iOS 11's Files app, is it now possible for Infuse to directly play videos from the 'On my iPad' folder, without having to duplicate the file into your own sandbox?
This would be really useful because we'd now have one directory to store them all, and the same files would be available to other apps without the need to import each time.
Thank you!

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
With iOS 11's Files app, is it now possible for Infuse to directly play videos from the 'On my iPad' folder, without having to duplicate the file into your own sandbox?
This would be really useful because we'd now have one directory to store them all, and the same files would be available to other apps without the need to import each time.
Thank you!
That's something we'll definitely be looking into. ;)

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
That's great! :D
But I was really just asking about whether it acts like a common folder for direct access(no duplicating) or not.. hope you can shed some light!
Thank you :)
We haven't had a chance to dive too deep into everything that's new in iOS 11, but if it's possible we'll make it happen. ;)

Reactions: ashindnile

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Is the A10X on the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9 fast enough to software decode HEVC 1080p and 4K on iOS 10 until iOS 11 is released?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Is the A10X on the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9 fast enough to software decode HEVC 1080p and 4K on iOS 10 until iOS 11 is released?
Infuse should be able to handle most 1080p via SW decode on the A10X, though one of the biggest upsides to HW decode (especially on mobile devices) is it's much more efficient, which will provide much improved battery life.

As of right now it looks like HW decode will be available on A9 and later devices (iPhone 6s and iPad Pro, and later) once iOS 11 is released.

Reactions: mi7chy

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
One last question for now if I go back to Infuse Pro can I import all my media files from nPlayer plus easily or do I have to delete them then readd them all to Infuse Pro ?

The 10-bit video playback has me interested in longer battery life with playing media.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Still no support for subfolders ? :(
Not yet. Sorry.

One last question for now if I go back to Infuse Pro can I import all my media files from nPlayer plus easily or do I have to delete them then readd them all to Infuse Pro ?

The 10-bit video playback has me interested in longer battery life with playing media.
Yes, you can use the 'Open In' option to copy videos to Infuse from other apps (swipe left on video and select More).

Note, this is a copy function, so depending on your available storage space you may need to transfer a few and then delete them from the old app before transferring the rest.

Crisis

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
As of right now it looks like HW decode will be available on A9 and later devices (iPhone 6s and iPad Pro, and later) once iOS 11 is released.

I'm so excited for the HW decode! Have you guys tried it out with developer beta? Is A10X capable of 4K HEVC 10bit?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I'm so excited for the HW decode! Have you guys tried it out with developer beta? Is A10X capable of 4K HEVC 10bit?
Not yet, but we're planning to dig more into the new beta features after the release of 5.5 in July.

Stay tuned. ;)

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Not yet. Sorry.

Yes, you can use the 'Open In' option to copy videos to Infuse from other apps (swipe left on video and select More).

Note, this is a copy function, so depending on your available storage space you may need to transfer a few and then delete them from the old app before transferring the rest.

So when will subfolder support come please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.