Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Of course, Plex transcodes those files into low bitrate low quality ones, whereas the TV media player supports them natively.

No, no it doesn't. Native support is no good if a file is unable to be played back smoothly.

jdmagoo1

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Is there any chance you can add 'theme music' to TV shows?

Also, is it possible to create folders within the app? I.e TV Shows and Movies?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Bough the Pro (€ 9,99) on Apple TV 4 and connected it to my Plex Media Server (Mac mini OS X 10.10.5 server):
Forced DTS over HDMI.... but:

• Lots of lagging (un-watchable) when DTS is enabled over HDMI with some of the .MKV-movies I have.
• My DTS-audio (music) libraries cannot bee "seen". Every folder says "Nothing to see here".
• I couldn't connect over SMB to the OS X server.

Not a good start.
I'll be trying more over the weekend. If no improvement, I'll be trashing it and try the iTunes refund option here in NL.
Still waiting for VLC then.

Sylver78

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Infuse interface is very good, amazing work guys !
I'm alone but I'll do my best to keep my app as a good alternative to infuse app ;)

Does anyone know if Infuse supports the ability to delete files?
My app "NAStify Player" will allow this in next update (which sould come before the end of the month ;) ). You can contact me to request beta access if you want to test this feature before the update ;)

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Same here. Lots of lagging. Right now its not an alternative to plex for me.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Disappointed to say the least.
  • Slow
  • Media within their own folders don't get thumbnails.
  • DTS doesn't play correctly, just static (Anthem MRX)
Plex offers so much more and works brilliantly.

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I'm alone but I'll do my best to keep my app as a good alternative to infuse app

As I had the chance to beta test both, I can say this: they're both similar in what they can do (i.e. play the common formats such as mp4 and mkv), but they're also similar in what they CAN'T play (mts, ts, high bitrate videos, interlaced stuff, etc.).

At this point I'm not buying either but for those interested I guess the lowest price wins. :)

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
It does not if you set it to unlimited.

It only passes the file unaltered if its supported by the ATV4s native player, which only supports H264 L4.1 profile videos. MPEG2s from an OTA PVR or DVD will get transcoded. Deinterlaced material, as the OP mentioned, gets transcoded, Even a Bluray using VC1 gets transcoded. Even with unlimited. So yes there is quality loss. And if you are lucky you won't get hit by the buffering issue Plex sees when it sends unlimited (but setting it to 20Mbps fixes it).

The problem isn't with Plex, its with the native player Apple uses. Infuse uses its own renderer, but I am guessing its all software decoded, nothing is offloaded to the GPU (except for maybe supported formats) hence struggling trying to transcode stuff on the fly.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
DVD files being transcoded is not really a big deal when it plays back high-bitrate 1080p .mkv files without issue, which is something that Infuse doesn't do. It is not transcoding those as my Plex server is running on a very humble laptop, which wouldn't cope with the task.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Interesting, same bug or issue as I found on MrMc aka Kodi:

- You play a video with DD or DTS via passthrough, so via HDMI, you receiver does the decoding.
- Stop movie
- Play MP4 or AVI (don't think the container format actually matters) with stereo compressed audio like MP3 or AAC
- Result: no sound and tvOS navigation sounds in the launcher are gone as well.
- You can bring sound back by going to sleep or toggle the audio format

Wondering if it's my setup or a tvOS bug. Get the feeling that if you switch between passthrough of audio and local decode, audio out is stuck in passthrough for any source.
Hmm, we haven't seen anything like this here. There are a few other passthrough options we're working to track down, so you may think about joining the discussion on our forum.
http://firecore.com/forum/topic/13646

Just bought the pro Version. Promising so far. Is there any disadvantage using plex upnp/dlna to stream?
You should see similar performance when using UPnP/DLNA or other options.

Just wondering..if you disable metadata, is it possible to get a simple list view with size and timestamp ? Seems like you get over sized icons and that's it.
Not at this time, but it's something we may add in the future.

I was a beta tester for Infuse. It works well with the standard file types (mp4, mkv, srt) but is far from being the ultimate solution to all your video playing needs. Here's where it currently struggles or is completely useless:
- I have a ton of camcorder clips in MTS format. Infuse freezes the moment I start to play them.
- it does not do deinterlacing of interlaced video (e.g. DVD rips in 60i)
- I noticed jerkiness when playing high bitrate videos
- it takes several seconds to start or resume play
- it does not open TS videos at all

I will not pay for Infuse in its current state. My TV's built-in media player, although it has an ugly UI, plays everything I throw at it and streams from my NAS over dlna so I will continue to use that.
We've resolved a handful of quirks in the 4.0.1 update which will be out in the next few days. We'd love to learn a little bit more about the problematic videos if you have a chance to send us a quick note.
http://firecore.com/contact

Does anyone know if Infuse supports the ability to delete files?
Not yet, but it's something we'll likely add in the future.

For the life of me i cannot get the iOS app to connect to my iMac. I get “An error occurred” when trying to connect. I have a 4TB external drive connected to it. What password exactly am I punching in ?
This would be the username/password combo for your Mac - though you'll first want to ensure SMB is enabled. More info on doing this can be found here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Also, if you're using an iCloud ID as your Mac's login, you'll need to first create a separate 'Sharing Only' account and use that username/password combo for Infuse.

Infuse does not see my MacBook Pro not sure why. It detects my windows pc
Check to ensure SMB is enabled on your Mac. More details here.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Is there any chance you can add 'theme music' to TV shows?

Also, is it possible to create folders within the app? I.e TV Shows and Movies?
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Bough the Pro (€ 9,99) on Apple TV 4 and connected it to my Plex Media Server (Mac mini OS X 10.10.5 server):
Forced DTS over HDMI.... but:

• Lots of lagging (un-watchable) when DTS is enabled over HDMI with some of the .MKV-movies I have.
• My DTS-audio (music) libraries cannot bee "seen". Every folder says "Nothing to see here".
• I couldn't connect over SMB to the OS X server.
If you have a sec, would you mind sending in a few details about your videos? We're working on a fix for one specific playback issue, so it would be good to know if this covers you file(s) as well. http://firecore.com/contact

lots of lagging, doesn't recognize video_ts folders - DVD iso and BD iso...useless for me!
The 4.0.1 update will provide about 10x faster performance for metadata fetching and browsing.

Unfortunately, DVD files are not supported at this time, but may be added in the future.

Same here. Lots of lagging. Right now its not an alternative to plex for me.
The 4.0.1 update will provide about 10x faster performance for metadata fetching and browsing.

Disappointed to say the least.
  • Slow
  • Media within their own folders don't get thumbnails.
  • DTS doesn't play correctly, just static (Anthem MRX)
Plex offers so much more and works brilliantly.
The 4.0.1 update will have a number of performance improvements.

Infuse supports single movie folders - can you provide a bit more info about what's in the folders?

We're also working to track down a few passthrough related issues - though they seem to be receiver specific. More info here http://firecore.com/forum/topic/13646

As I had the chance to beta test both, I can say this: they're both similar in what they can do (i.e. play the common formats such as mp4 and mkv), but they're also similar in what they CAN'T play (mts, ts, high bitrate videos, interlaced stuff, etc.).

At this point I'm not buying either but for those interested I guess the lowest price wins. :)
De-interlacing isn't supported at this time, but the other files should be working. If you have a sec to drop us a note with a few more details we'd sure appreciate it.
http://firecore.com/contact

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
If you have a sec, would you mind sending in a few details about your videos? We're working on a fix for one specific playback issue, so it would be good to know if this covers you file(s) as well. http://firecore.com/contact

Hope I can help you with this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 16.36.48.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 16.36.48.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 427

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
It only passes the file unaltered if its supported by the ATV4s native player, which only supports H264 L4.1 profile videos. MPEG2s from an OTA PVR or DVD will get transcoded. Deinterlaced material, as the OP mentioned, gets transcoded, Even a Bluray using VC1 gets transcoded. Even with unlimited. So yes there is quality loss. And if you are lucky you won't get hit by the buffering issue Plex sees when it sends unlimited (but setting it to 20Mbps fixes it).

The problem isn't with Plex, its with the native player Apple uses. Infuse uses its own renderer, but I am guessing its all software decoded, nothing is offloaded to the GPU (except for maybe supported formats) hence struggling trying to transcode stuff on the fly.

Well, 95% of my videos is h.264 with 4.1, that's what is usually is used for blurays. And I haven't had any issue yet regarding buffering. I tried infuse yesterday but the navigation on plex is much better imho, especially with a split library on more than one HDD. Infuse has a great feature tho with the subtitles, that's really well done. I wish plex had this.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
This would be the username/password combo for your Mac - though you'll first want to ensure SMB is enabled. More info on doing this can be found here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Also, if you're using an iCloud ID as your Mac's login, you'll need to first create a separate 'Sharing Only' account and use that username/password combo for Infuse.

Check to ensure SMB is enabled on your Mac. More details here.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Got it !! Thank you !!

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Well, 95% of my videos is h.264 with 4.1, that's what is usually is used for blurays. And I haven't had any issue yet regarding buffering. I tried infuse yesterday but the navigation on plex is much better imho, especially with a split library on more than one HDD. Infuse has a great feature tho with the subtitles, that's really well done. I wish plex had this.

There's no one magic bullet for ATV4 yet... I have hopes for MRMC though, but Ive used Kodi (or its predecessors) since the Xbox 1 version, so I might be biased.

For my ATV3 though, Plex and Plexconnect is all there is.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
In app purchase. The iPhone app says I have to pay another 9.99
On iOS, you'll want to ensure you're logged in with the same Apple ID and download the free version and your Pro features should be restored automatically.

If the purchase prompt does appear, you can tap the 'Restore' button.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I bought Infuse Pro on IOS - actually bought twice - because first was in-app purchase but didn't carry over when I switched my accounts to family sharing, so I bought the Pro version. I got it to be an XBMC/Kodi alternative for IOS.

Since then, I have switched from Kodi and use Plex. Athough I don't see a use for Infuse to replace my main library I would like to use it to play files not in my main Plex library. On IOS in Infuse I disabled all metadata fetching and used list view but I see list view doesn't seem an option on the AppleTV (unless I missed something). Also seems I have to add a folder as a favorite and cannot just navigate to a share and play a file like I can in IOS (again, am I missing something?).

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU

The 4.0.1 update will have a number of performance improvements.

Infuse supports single movie folders - can you provide a bit more info about what's in the folders?

We're also working to track down a few passthrough related issues - though they seem to be receiver specific. More info here http://firecore.com/forum/topic/13646

Glad to hear about the planned updates and the quick feedback here :)

Every movie (and television programme) is in a separate folder to allow collections of artwork, extras, etc.

To be honest, I'm only really interested in quick navigation and decent playback of MKV's directly from SMB shares, with support for fast navigation and DTS.

Anything else is perfectly provided by Plex, which has fantastic meta data maintenance, offline sync, huge multiplatform support etc etc.

I do think there is a big market though for those who don't want the type of server setup Plex requires or who want native playback of HD sound.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
To be honest, I'm only really interested in quick navigation and decent playback of MKV's directly from SMB shares, with support for fast navigation and DTS.

Anything else is perfectly provided by Plex, which has fantastic meta data maintenance, offline sync, huge multiplatform support etc etc.

Same applies to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.