Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
Infuse is as essential as Netflix and YouTube are on the Apple TV 4.
There are some really brilliant people at work at Firecore. They really seem to understand the Apple design language. Infuse is powerful software, extremely beautiful, simple and clean. Well done Firecore!
My money is well spent with your software.

It's almost time to get rid of my buggy and slow Popcorn Hour C-200 and A-400. As soon as we have ISO support in Infuse.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Im about to give up with this app, I can not get to connect to iMac. Says the username or password is incorrect, but I'm using the same details i use to connect to the iMac from my macbook

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
@firecore

Any plans on getting HDHomeRun (Extend in particular) support on Infuse? As it currently stands, the HDHomeRun will show up in the list of available servers, but is unable to connect.

Thanks.

Reactions: thirdeyeopen666

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Im about to give up with this app, I can not get to connect to iMac. Says the username or password is incorrect, but I'm using the same details i use to connect to the iMac from my macbook
Have you tried any of the other video streaming apps on the ATV4 (like NAStify or VideoOne)? I think there are free versions of at least one....try to see if they connect to your iMac. If they can't either, then it's not Infuse's fault.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH

What worked for me was in sharing settings under file sharing options, allow SMB and SMB for windows (requires setting a password). Don't know if there is another way but didn't work until I enabled the windows SMB option.

Reactions: munpip214

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
What worked for me was in sharing settings under file sharing options, allow SMB and SMB for windows (requires setting a password). Don't know if there is another way but didn't work until I enabled the windows SMB option.
That worked thanks

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
I downloaded the free version of infuse to try and compare to Plex, but every time I try to play a file I get a screen asking me to upgrade. I say, "no thanks" but the file still won't play.
Anyone else seeing this problem?

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
I downloaded the free version of infuse to try and compare to Plex, but every time I try to play a file I get a screen asking me to upgrade. I say, "no thanks" but the file still won't play.
Anyone else seeing this problem?

It's probably because your files are encoded with DTS audio (or some other audio/video codec not supported by the free version). You'll either need the Pro version to play these or re-encode the files with AC3 or another supported audio format.

Do a web search: there are various free options out there that will re-encode the audio but not touch the video.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The 4.0.1 update will provide about 10x faster performance for metadata fetching and browsing.
I have been using Infuse Pro to watch mpg 7gb size files that are tv show recordings using HDHomeRun DVR (and EyeTV before) and it takes about 10-15 seconds to start playing, but once started it is good. This is the same on the iPad Version. Also, takes a bit to just bring it up. When using the Kodi Interface on the Mac the records start instantly. Not the same but when watching these show like with Channels on the Apple TV there is no buffering when switching channels. Will this 10x faster help to reduce this 10-15 second delay?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Can we please get the ability to mark a start and end point of video clips, a la Lightroom. Anyone with home videos does not want to have to use desktop software and re-export zillions of video files, with the resulting loss of quality, just to do this. All we want to do is browse and play them and avoid the additional footage at the start and end (and use our file browsers to make duplicates where there is more than one section of interest). THAT'S a home movie viewing platform. Thanks!

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Make sure to turn on SMB file sharing in Network Preferences/Sharing. Even if both boxes are checked, you have to make sure it's on for that specific share folder. Sorry for not being specific enough, I'm away from my iMac at the moment

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I found a problem with SMB File Sharing that I forgot about. I wanted to create a Sharing Only USERID so I would not need to use my personal USERID on the Apple TV Devices. Under File Sharing I needed to go to Options and check on the New USERID to allow it to work. Even though I put in on the folder share. This worked well until I decided to switch to a WD MyCloud NAS device to handle this. Which is also working well. My only problem with Infuse is that it is very very slow. Hopefully the 4.0.1 release they are taking about will fix it.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
This app is absolutely amazing. Now, I can finally play all my GoPro videos that I have on a hard drive attached to my AEBS without any lag on the Apple TV. I don't know if any of you know, but GoPro files can't be a PITA to stream via Plex unless they're encoded first.

This app rocks!

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I'm also having an issue where it's saying invalid user name and password :/. Looks like it'd be great if I could use it.

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Had to buy the pro version as the free version would not play anything after i selected "no thanks" but in the end the pro version could not play any of my media smoothly. I guess its because my all media is 23.976 frames/sec and the Apple TV 4 / Infuse Pro can't deal with this framerate.

So i got a refund in the end.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Had to buy the pro version as the free version would not play anything after i selected "no thanks" but in the end the pro version could not play any of my media smoothly. I guess its because my all media is 23.976 frames/sec and the Apple TV 4 / Infuse Pro can't deal with this framerate.

That was the reason I got the Pro version. But in my guess it worked. I like Infuse except for being very very slow. And no response from the developers.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I found infuse slow. I've preferred Plex.
Me too. I am keeping it around because I like the interface. But I am now using NAStify which is much faster. I am supporting both. I am considering Plex but at this time I prefer not setting up another server if not required.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007

Has nothing to do with the framerate. All my files are 23.976 as well, and it works fine.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
For the life of me i cannot get the iOS app to connect to my iMac. I get “An error occurred” when trying to connect. I have a 4TB external drive connected to it. What password exactly am I punching in ?

Infuse does not see my MacBook Pro not sure why. It detects my windows pc
You may check to ensure SMB File Sharing is enabled on your Mac in System Preferences.

More info here.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Bough the Pro (€ 9,99) on Apple TV 4 and connected it to my Plex Media Server (Mac mini OS X 10.10.5 server):
Forced DTS over HDMI.... but:

• Lots of lagging (un-watchable) when DTS is enabled over HDMI with some of the .MKV-movies I have.
• My DTS-audio (music) libraries cannot bee "seen". Every folder says "Nothing to see here".
• I couldn't connect over SMB to the OS X server.

Not a good start.
I'll be trying more over the weekend. If no improvement, I'll be trashing it and try the iTunes refund option here in NL.
Still waiting for VLC then.
The upcoming 4.0.1 version will provide much faster metadata fetching (5-10x faster) which should help with some of the slowness you're seeing.

Also, we've got a handful of fixes in the works for a few reported playback issues.

lots of lagging, doesn't recognize video_ts folders - DVD iso and BD iso...useless for me!

Same here. Lots of lagging. Right now its not an alternative to plex for me.

We're looking into a few reported playback issues, and plan to have them fixed up ASAP.

Disappointed to say the least.
  • Slow
  • Media within their own folders don't get thumbnails.
  • DTS doesn't play correctly, just static (Anthem MRX)
Plex offers so much more and works brilliantly.
4.0.1 should help with some of this.

If you're seeing issues with DTS, ensure 'Reduce Loud Sounds' is disabled in the Apple TV Settings menu.

why should I buy pro version instead of getting free?
Pro supports additional media formats, Dolby/DTS audio, and trakt sync.

Infuse is as essential as Netflix and YouTube are on the Apple TV 4.
There are some really brilliant people at work at Firecore. They really seem to understand the Apple design language. Infuse is powerful software, extremely beautiful, simple and clean. Well done Firecore!
My money is well spent with your software.

It's almost time to get rid of my buggy and slow Popcorn Hour C-200 and A-400. As soon as we have ISO support in Infuse.
Thanks for the kind words. :)

You may check to ensure SMB is enabled on your Mac. More info here.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Also, if you're using an iCloud email/password as your Mac's login you will need to setup a separate 'Sharing Only' user through System Preferences.

@firecore

Any plans on getting HDHomeRun (Extend in particular) support on Infuse? As it currently stands, the HDHomeRun will show up in the list of available servers, but is unable to connect.

Thanks.
We'll see what we can do.

Since you're here with great support in this thread, can this be accessed remotely via LTE on my iOS device ?
Remote streaming is supported, though it needs to be setup manually by creating an 'Other' share using your external IP address or a DDNS service like the (free) one offered from Synology.

We're looking into a few reported playback issues and plan to have them fixed up ASAP. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.