Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Great to hear!

I assume that movies get sorted by names in the grid view? but sometime it is out of order and it is very frustrating to find a movie. I have to go back out all the way to the top share folder in Favorite and go back in to see movie sorted correctly.

is this a known issue? are there any future features that make searching a movie easier?
Perhaps related to this?
http://firecore.com/forum/topic/13735
Can Infuse reproduce files that have the video header in the last part of the file ?
Hmm, I can't say for sure. Can you drop us a quick note with a few more details?
http://firecore.com/contact
Sorry to hear that, hopefully it is on the radar for sometime later.
;)

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014

I understand that it ignore A and The. based on that post, ignoring A has a bug.

my situation is a bit different. two movies Avatar and Ant-Man. these two movies start with an A, and I expected them to be on the top of the grid but they are way down in the middle.

then movie "9 (2008)" is sorted after movie "Wreck-it Ralgh (2012)". Planet Earth is at the bottom of the grid.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
How does Infuse select the default audio and subtitle tracks in case a video file has multiple? I have a number of MKV files that I made from my old HD-DVDs (to archive them when the format died). Many of them have commentary tracks in addition to the main audio track, as well as subtitles.

When I created the files I took care that the main audio track is always track #1, but still Infuse seems to always choose the secondary track by default if present. It also seems to activate any embedded subtitles by default. This means I have to go into the menu, switch audio tracks, and turn off the subtitles whenever I start playing one of these files, which is quite annoying. MrMC always picks the first track and leaves subtitles off by default, which is much better.

Another issue is that the audio on these files (usually 5.1 FLAC encoded) sounds much flatter than in MrMC. I haven't really analyzed what exactly is happening, but it almost sounds as if some of the channels are missing?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I understand that it ignore A and The. based on that post, ignoring A has a bug.

my situation is a bit different. two movies Avatar and Ant-Man. these two movies start with an A, and I expected them to be on the top of the grid but they are way down in the middle.

then movie "9 (2008)" is sorted after movie "Wreck-it Ralgh (2012)". Planet Earth is at the bottom of the grid.
One thing to check is that these movies have been properly matched by Infuse. One way to do is this is to use the 'Edit' option found on the movie details page, and ensure the correct title is selected.

You may also check to ensure 'Sort by Date' is not enabled in the Infuse settings menu.

How does Infuse select the default audio and subtitle tracks in case a video file has multiple? I have a number of MKV files that I made from my old HD-DVDs (to archive them when the format died). Many of them have commentary tracks in addition to the main audio track, as well as subtitles.

When I created the files I took care that the main audio track is always track #1, but still Infuse seems to always choose the secondary track by default if present. It also seems to activate any embedded subtitles by default. This means I have to go into the menu, switch audio tracks, and turn off the subtitles whenever I start playing one of these files, which is quite annoying. MrMC always picks the first track and leaves subtitles off by default, which is much better.

Another issue is that the audio on these files (usually 5.1 FLAC encoded) sounds much flatter than in MrMC. I haven't really analyzed what exactly is happening, but it almost sounds as if some of the channels are missing?
By default, Infuse will select the audio track with a language that matches the Apple TV language setting. You can select a specific language by default, if you prefer, through the settings menu.

Also found in the settings menu is an option to 'Show Subtitles' and disabling it will turn subtitles off by default, with the exception of 'forced' subtitles which are always shown.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
By default, Infuse will select the audio track with a language that matches the Apple TV language setting. You can select a specific language by default, if you prefer, through the settings menu.
Well, it my case the main track (track 1) and the commentary track (track 2) are both tagged as english. Track 1 is flagged as the default track. Yet Infuse picks the secondary track by default for some reason, which none of my other players do. I have tried this with several MKV files.
Also found in the settings menu is an option to 'Show Subtitles' and disabling it will turn subtitles off by default, with the exception of 'forced' subtitles which are always shown.
Thanks, I'll try the setting. MKV doesn't support tagging subtitles as forced though.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Well, it my case the main track (track 1) and the commentary track (track 2) are both tagged as english. Track 1 is flagged as the default track. Yet Infuse picks the secondary track by default for some reason, which none of my other players do.
Hmm - is this happening for a number of files, or just this one?

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
One thing to check is that these movies have been properly matched by Infuse. One way to do is this is to use the 'Edit' option found on the movie details page, and ensure the correct title is selected.

You may also check to ensure 'Sort by Date' is not enabled in the Infuse settings menu.

I checked it under Edit option, and it is matched correctly. there are many movies that is out of order like this. also Sort by Date is not enabled.

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
Any way to select a default audio/subtitle track for .m2ts files?

A Russian guy explaining the video for the blind is quite a frightening way to start a movie...

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hmm - is this happening for a number of files, or just this one?
As I wrote, it happened with several MKV files I tried. Below is the track info from MKVMerge for one of them. Track 1 is the main audio track (flagged as default track) and should be used by default. Infuse selects Track 2 though, which is a commentary track:

File 'xxx.mkv': container: Matroska [container_type:17 duration:7369322000000 is_providing_timecodes:1 segment_uid:98683610804bf2e98a579fb7fdbf3682 title:xxx]

Track ID 0: video (VC-1) [codec_id:V_MS/VFW/FOURCC default_duration:41708332 default_track:1 display_dimensions:1920x1080 enabled_track:1 forced_track:0 language:und number:1 pixel_dimensions:1920x1080 uid:1]

Track ID 1: audio (FLAC) [audio_bits_per_sample:24 audio_channels:6 audio_sampling_frequency:48000 codec_id:A_FLAC default_duration:85333333 default_track:1 enabled_track:1 forced_track:0 language:eng number:2 uid:3297514659]

Track ID 2: audio (AAC) [audio_channels:2 audio_sampling_frequency:48000 codec_id:A_AAC codec_private_data:119056e500 codec_private_length:5 default_duration:21333333 default_track:0 enabled_track:1 forced_track:0 language:eng number:3 track_name:Commentary uid:2090941325]

Track ID 3: subtitles (SubRip/SRT) [codec_id:S_TEXT/UTF8 codec_private_length:0 default_track:0 enabled_track:1 forced_track:0 language:eng number:4 text_subtitles:1 uid:2260095422]

Chapters: 52 entries​

Last edited:

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
As I wrote, it happened with several MKV files I tried. Below is the track info from MKVMerge for one of them. Track 1 is the main audio track (flagged as default track) and should be used by default. Infuse selects Track 2 though, which is a commentary track.
Thanks - we'll dig into this and see if we can get a fix out soon.

jdmagoo1

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
My feature requests:

- newly added list (also displayed in the home bar at the top of the Apple TV home page)

- watched / unwatched marks

- tv show theme music

- when Scrubbing forward or rewind, have a marker where the original start point was and allow the marker to snap to it when you swipe to or past it. Hard to explain, but exactly how it works under the normal Apple media player on the Apple TV 4. This way, when I bump the remote and the slider moves forward I can quickly snap back to the original spot without the need to buffer again.

- Thumbnail preview whilst scrubbing

- Trailers before a movie starts

- add custom artwork to favourite folders

- add Siri support when the API is available

Will add to this, but overal a fantastic app guys!

Last edited:

shacky

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
I have my atv4 and a media computer running through my home audio and, of course to my tv. On my home computer I have Kodi. My question is: is there anything I'm really going to gain from Infuse?

I guess I'm not getting my head around what it really does.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
I have two NAS: synology 715+ and Qnap 453.

Kodi connects to these two NAS without any problem. Infuse took many tries to connect on three ATV 4. I tried killing the app, restart ATV, etc. I tried to set these NAS to SMB1, SMB2, SMB2.1. after so many tries, it connects. I have three ATV so it take a long time and frustration.

anyone experience this?

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
I have my atv4 and a media computer running through my home audio and, of course to my tv. On my home computer I have Kodi. My question is: is there anything I'm really going to gain from Infuse?

I guess I'm not getting my head around what it really does.

Infuse streams any of your movies from your PC or NAS and display on your TV. Kodi can't run on ATV4, but Infuse can with much more user-friendly interface.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

Kodi connects to these two NAS without any problem. Infuse took many tries to connect on three ATV 4. I tried killing the app, restart ATV, etc. I tried to set these NAS to SMB1, SMB2, SMB2.1. after so many tries, it connects. I have three ATV so it take a long time and frustration.

anyone experience this?
Does it just not connect, or does it not even discover the network shares? If it's the latter, check if you have Bonjour enabled and configured to advertise SMB on the NAS.

Don't set the NAS to SMB1 (this has inferior performance).

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Nothing really except perhaps a nicer GUI. A computer running Kodi is much more flexible and powerful for this kind of thing than the ATV (which has a number of software and hardware restrictions), but may also require significantly more configuration work and consumes more power. But since you have it running already, I don't think it makes sense for you to switch to an ATV-based local media streaming app.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Does it just not connect, or does it not even discover the network shares? If it's the latter, check if you have Bonjour enabled and configured to advertise SMB on the NAS.

Don't set the NAS to SMB1 (this has inferior performance).

it discovers but won't connect. but if I keep trying to connect (many times), eventually it connects.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
For me at least, Plex > Infuse.

I've used them both for some time, having the Firecore jailbreak on my old aTV2, but the Plex UI and library management has always been the simpler solution. I accept that you need a reasonable powerful machine to run the Plex Media Server on, but if you have that then Plex is the better solution. If you don't, maybe there is a stronger argument for Infuse, but it doesn't look as good and lacks some key functionality for me (e.g. remote access, stop-start on different devices, user content control, etc.)

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014

anyone experience this?

resolved this issue. My NAS broadcast many different network protocals, and SMB is one of them. I disable all other network protocal (webDAV, FTP, etc).

For example: my QNAP broadcasts two names: QNAP and QNAP (SMB). at first I selected QNAP (SMB) as the name suggested but it won't connect. infuse can connect to QNAP but not QNAP (SMB).

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
My feature requests:

- newly added list (also displayed in the home bar at the top of the Apple TV home page)

- watched / unwatched marks

- tv show theme music

- when Scrubbing forward or rewind, have a marker where the original start point was and allow the marker to snap to it when you swipe to or past it. Hard to explain, but exactly how it works under the normal Apple media player on the Apple TV 4. This way, when I bump the remote and the slider moves forward I can quickly snap back to the original spot without the need to buffer again.

- Thumbnail preview whilst scrubbing

- Trailers before a movie starts

- add custom artwork to favourite folders

- add Siri support when the API is available

Will add to this, but overal a fantastic app guys!
Thanks for the suggestions! We'll see what we can do.
Is it fair to say, one of the main reasons for switching from Plex to Infuse is the DTS audio?
That's one reason yes. Infuse supports DTS passthrough, Plex will transcode DTS to something else.

Infuse also removes the need to have a separate server component running on a Mac/PC, as it uses the ATV4 for decoding. Wherever your videos are stored Infuse can play them.
resolved this issue. My NAS broadcast many different network protocals, and SMB is one of them. I disable all other network protocal (webDAV, FTP, etc).

For example: my QNAP broadcasts two names: QNAP and QNAP (SMB). at first I selected QNAP (SMB) as the name suggested but it won't connect. infuse can connect to QNAP but not QNAP (SMB).
Great! :)

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
@firecore
the other day I played Ant Man movie. Infuse buffered at 12:35 min mark and it stuck there. the only way to continue playing is to fast forward. MrMc played the same movie at 12:35 min mark just fine. I also tried VLC on a PC and it played without any problems.

I thought it might be just one Movie but last night it happened again twice in another movie, Pan. Both movies are 11GB and 12GB MKV.

is this a known bug? any future fix for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.