Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Would it work if I purchased a MacMini, setup the MacMini’s iTunes folder on the NAS, and then pointed Infuse to the MacMini?
I don't believe so. Purchased content is encrypted with DRM which Infuse cannot decode and then stream. Pointing Infuse to the iTunes folder on the MacMini would not work because of the DRM content within said folder. Infuse and Plex have no ability to confirm the legitimacy of your Apple ID purchase thus allowing them to subsequently stream the content.

NAS is good for content that is not DRM protected, such as movies, tv shows and other videos that are not locked and can be played outside of a stock Apple app.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Would it work if I purchased a MacMini, setup the MacMini’s iTunes folder on the NAS, and then pointed Infuse to the MacMini?

It would work if you purchased a Mac mini, set up the mac min's itunes folder on the NAS, and used apple's own apps on the apple tv (skipping infuse entirely) - but that's a setup question for another thread.

Reactions: roronl

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
@firecore Any suggestions here?
Is anyone else having an issue where the tvOS app won't connect to the shared drive (in my case, my Macbook Pro)? This suddenly started happening to me, and I can't seem to fix it no matter what I do. The iOS app works wonderfully, so I'm not sure why the tvOS version is having a hard time.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 7.5.7 now available! 👏

Enhanced downmixing quality with new custom options, updates for Emby 4.8, numerous playback improvements, and much more!

Enjoy! 🙂

Fzt5jekX0AMSVw3

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I used kodi with local metadata on a Raspberry Pi, but now I got an AppleTV and searched for an kodi app there and found Infuse.
It looks really great.

There are some tiny annoyances though:
In earlier kodi versions it used a /logo.jpg or /moviename-logo.jpg but that got changed to /moviename-clearlogo.jpg (or .png) but infuse only recognizes the older variants, not -clearlogo. I think it would be a good tiny fix for those switching from kodi to Infuse.

Also the sorttitle and set tags from the .nfo file seems to be ignored. Is that something that's on the todo list?

Reactions: firecore

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
In earlier kodi versions it used a /logo.jpg or /moviename-logo.jpg but that got changed to /moviename-clearlogo.jpg (or .png) but infuse only recognizes the older variants, not -clearlogo. I think it would be a good tiny fix for those switching from kodi to Infuse.
This is an interesting idea, and something we can look into.

Also the sorttitle and set tags from the .nfo file seems to be ignored. Is that something that's on the todo list?
This isn’t currently available, but it looks like there is a suggestion thread you can follow here.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Is anyone else having an issue where the tvOS app won't connect to the shared drive (in my case, my Macbook Pro)? This suddenly started happening to me, and I can't seem to fix it no matter what I do. The iOS app works wonderfully, so I'm not sure why the tvOS version is having a hard time.
Update. App seems to index while on wifi, but will not index while on ethernet. Really weird.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I came across an AV1 encoded 2160p HDR10 file. Infuse plays it with no problem but the HDR is not flagged or turned on.
Is this normal or is this format too new?
-Never mind, I got my answer on the Infuse user forums.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Is Infuse really worth it? Sorry if this is a stupid question?

I finally got a Apple TV 4k and trying it now. It seems ok but always at 24hz 4k, 24hz 4k HDR, or 24hz 1080p (depending on what movie or tv show not everything is in 4k or 4k hdr you know lol sorry) when playing movies or tv shows.

I use to just drag onto my projector screen from my PC lol but hate there is no remote. So that is why I decided to try a Apple TV 4k.

The thing is that is 60hz 4k, 60hz 4k hdr, and 60hz 1080p. It doesn't seem to make a difference though.

Yes Yes I agree Infuse is all pretty and everything. I just can't decide if it is worth it. Even the Apple TV 4k. I like it but sometimes I feel like the remote lags a little maybe I am wrong and it is Infuse itself hmmm.

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
Is Infuse really worth it? Sorry if this is a stupid question?

I finally got a Apple TV 4k and trying it now. It seems ok but always at 24hz 4k, 24hz 4k HDR, or 24hz 1080p (depending on what movie or tv show not everything is in 4k or 4k hdr you know lol sorry) when playing movies or tv shows.

I use to just drag onto my projector screen from my PC lol but hate there is no remote. So that is why I decided to try a Apple TV 4k.

The thing is that is 60hz 4k, 60hz 4k hdr, and 60hz 1080p. It doesn't seem to make a difference though.

Yes Yes I agree Infuse is all pretty and everything. I just can't decide if it is worth it. Even the Apple TV 4k. I like it but sometimes I feel like the remote lags a little maybe I am wrong and it is Infuse itself hmmm.

If you have a NAS full of movies or tv shows then Infuse is well worth it. I've been using the paid version for years and it's money well spent.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
If you have a NAS full of movies or tv shows then Infuse is well worth it. I've been using the paid version for years and it's money well spent.

Maybe but it still does not work 99% well over the internet at least not 4g lte or 5g/5g+

Though I know most people most likely don't watch stuff remotely or even when moving in public transportation.

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
Maybe but it still does not work 99% well over the internet at least not 4g lte or 5g/5g+

Though I know most people most likely don't watch stuff remotely or even when moving in public transportation.

Ah, I didn't realise that was your use case. I've only ever used it on my home network.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I'm another very happy Synology & Infuse user - highly recommend Synology, and I stream 4k movies/TV over a 5gHz wifi connection (from an Asus wifi router), so even if the Synology ethernet is 'only' 1GBps then that's already way way overkill for any media streaming.

That all fine but I wish it worked 99% well over 4g lte or 5g/5g+

Though granted I am sure most people don't watch stuff remotely :(

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Ah, I didn't realise that was your use case. I've only ever used it on my home network.

Kinda or sometimes.

Not all the time.

It is a nice option to have. I know there is Plex and Emby for that even Jellyfin but I prefer directly to bad it is not possible at least not with any kind of stability.

Most public places have sucky wifi so doesn't matter if there is wifi to connect to. Your better off with 4g lte or 5g/5g+ if your in a good location for it. Sadly that is the biggest issue with it. Location is key.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
The latest version of Infuse is here with some great new additions!

Stream from Aliyun Drive(阿里云盘)​

Direct support for Aliyun Drive is now available in Infuse! Aliyun Drive is a popular cloud service available in China, and allows for accessing movies, TV shows, and other videos via a fast, native connection directly on your favorite devices. This new feature is available to all Pro users, and includes support for files stored in both private(备份盘)and shared(资源库)cloud disk folders.

Note: Streaming from Aliyun Drive is available on all platforms (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac), but connections to cloud services need to be set up on iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Once this is done on a single device, the connection will then sync to other devices via iCloud.

infuse76-aliyun_2x.jpg

Other tuneups and fixes, with more to come​

A handful of other improvements are included so be sure to check out the full list of what’s new.

We’re also working on some great new things for iOS/tvOS 17 (and beyond!) so keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Thanks!​

We always love hearing your comments, feedback, and suggestions — so please feel free to continue the conversation in our community forum.

Thanks for using Infuse! 🧡

Reactions: Meuti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.