Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
seriously, what is the point of reporting on something as ****ing stupid as this?

"half will use glass"

yeah, that sounds like something apple would do. how long have you been covering apple?

"let's just make some glass"

"hey, my watch scratched!" "oh, you must not have gotten one of the sapphire ones"

and then they tie up apple support complaining for a day and then apple gives them a sapphire one, brand loyalty etc goes down. makes sense guys.
yeah.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
people make **** up. I have 3 retina macbook pros myself, and i manage 160 of them in my office. i've never seen anything even close to resembling ghosting. i think 163 of them is a pretty good sample. we have every year/revision 13" and 15" since the retinas came out.

Actually, I bought a maxed out 15 Retina Pro with the "cheesy" LG display and I have, after 4 months, yet to see even the slightest evidence of ghosting. I even tried inducing it, and zippo.

I think the concept that certain issues get blown out of proportion because only people with problems actually post about it is very true.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
people make **** up. I have 3 retina macbook pros myself, and i manage 160 of them in my office. i've never seen anything even close to resembling ghosting. i think 163 of them is a pretty good sample. we have every year/revision 13" and 15" since the retinas came out.

I think people are too OCD. You get those who will take a magnifying glass out to examine a screen of millions of pixels, see one dead one that's unseeable with the naked eye, and declare it the worst piece of ****** they ever owned.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So much misinformation and crazy rumors being 'leaked'. Apple must be leaking some of this junk themselves to add a bunch of noise to any possible true leaks out there.

Whatever gets released in October it will surely be a surprise.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple won't launch a totally new product like this with only a very limited supply. Just won't happen.

LETS LAUNCH A NEW PRODUCT RIGHT BEFORE XMAS AND NOT HAVE ENOUGH FOR DEMAND!

Remember "that iMac". Released near Xmas and not enough to meet demand till the next year.

----------

People actually going to buy this crap...apple has seriously jumped the shark.

Apple has not jumped the shark yet?
Apple is closer to being Rikers beard.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Wow look at all the drama surrounding the iWatch... several delays, supplier shifts, shortages, then back on time, then shortages again, now they have to split between sapphire and glass.... all these things we learn without ANY word from Apple and any proof (no specific companies cited by sources, no pictures, no nothing) from people making the claims.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Every time we post an analyst's prediction, can we also post their previous predictions along with whether or not they were right or wrong?

MacRumors won't do that. If they did, they'd have to stop posting all these absurd stories because people would stop reading them and commenting on them, and generating all those lovely ad hits. MacRumors knows how insane the stories are that they post, and they don't care. It's all about the money.

It's a shame, because I actually remember a time when MacRumors posted not nearly as many stories, and the ones that were even a little bit unbelievable were always on "Page Two" with a disclaimer that MacRumors had little confidence in them. The editors actually exerted editorial control, and the site was a respected one with actual inside sources. Now everything goes on the Front Page, even the sorts of stories MacRumors would never even have put on Page Two, and the Mac Blog and iOS Blog always read like advertisements. I no longer come here for the rumors, I just come here to laugh at the stupid people who don't understand that MacRumors is just reposting fake stories from other websites now, and think these stories are official Apple press releases or something.

I mean, just look at these people complaining about how Apple is ruining the iWatch and now they don't want to buy one anymore. I guess they still remember the old MacRumors, too, and actually think this is a site with good sources and editors who only want to bring legitimate rumors to their readership. I pity those people, really. I figured out that was no longer true years ago.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Actually, I bought a maxed out 15 Retina Pro with the "cheesy" LG display and I have, after 4 months, yet to see even the slightest evidence of ghosting. I even tried inducing it, and zippo.

I think the concept that certain issues get blown out of proportion because only people with problems actually post about it is very true.

i got headaches after switching desktops constantly
not every LG display had ghosting problems, but it took 3 swaps of the macbook display to finally get rid of the ghosting.

it was also bad about the burn in (am I using the correct term?). I would be working in photoshop, meticulously editing something for about 5-10 minutes, then when I pan the photo, I can easily see parts of the photo in the original position.

if you didn't experience any of these issues, that's all fine, but for those that experienced it, the experience is really bad, especially when you blow $2k-$3k on a laptop

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
So...it's the Retina Macbooks all over again. Either you get the cheesy ghost-y LG displays, or you get the awesome Samsung displays with no ghosting at all!

The end result might be the same, but this two situations otherwise are quite different. Apple would have contracted Samsung and LG to make identical screens, of similar high quality; it just didn't turn out that way.

On the other hand, commissioning the manufacture of one product with one of two completely different materials for a vital part is a different story, as Apple could not expect the two end products to be equal. Segregating the product into a low cost glass product and a high cost sapphire one is far more likely, but I still don't think it will happen.

I can't see Apple being able to sapphire all their iPhones, and not be able to sapphire all their iWatches. Let's face it. The iPhone would require a lot more sapphire, and I reckon will sell a lot more units, unless the iWatch is quite cheap. Apple should be able to find enough left over sapphire sheet for a few 1-1.5" diameter discs.

Wow look at all the drama surrounding the iWatch... several delays, supplier shifts, shortages, then back on time, then shortages again, now they have to split between sapphire and glass.... all these things we learn without ANY word from Apple and any proof (no specific companies cited by sources, no pictures, no nothing) from people making the claims.

Tabloid journalism needs no facts. They make their own, knowing that if they are proven wrong, that just means they get two stories, rather than just one. Or in the case of the iWatch, forty-two-hundred-billion-gajillion stories instead of just one...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
MacRumors won't do that. If they did, they'd have to stop posting all these absurd stories because people would stop reading them and commenting on them, and generating all those lovely ad hits. MacRumors knows how insane the stories are that they post, and they don't care. It's all about the money.

It's a shame, because I actually remember a time when MacRumors posted not nearly as many stories, and the ones that were even a little bit unbelievable were always on "Page Two" with a disclaimer that MacRumors had little confidence in them. The editors actually exerted editorial control, and the site was a respected one with actual inside sources. Now everything goes on the Front Page, even the sorts of stories MacRumors would never even have put on Page Two, and the Mac Blog and iOS Blog always read like advertisements.
Now that they have hired 4 writers to take the workload off Arn, they have to do SOMETHING, don't they? I like MR because it concatonates stories from other sites and at least tries to track accuracy as well as maintain a current status of rumors with round-ups. That is the value added. I for one don't object to the ads since they figured a way to tone them down to the point they don't actively interfere with content.

Rocketman

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Of course saphire is not for iPhone ! Who wants a device that doesn't inevitably break or need overly expensive cases and covers ? Certainly not AAPL !

As for the iWatch: make an expensive iWatch using glass, and an even more expensive one with saphire !

More money, more ways of showing off, more happy customers !

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This is expected because there were delays/issues with the iPhone 6 weren't there ?

So, if this means half of of these iWatch displays will be glass, will they be any cheaper ?

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Apple must be leaking some of this junk themselves to add a bunch of noise to any possible true leaks out there.

I said it before. I expect the iWatch to be a red herring. While Samsung and LG cripple themselves into making a SiFi watch with sapphire screen, 500TFlops computing and a six weeks battery-life, Apple moves into providing the platform (iPhone/iPad) and the API's, and leave making the accessories to watchmakers.

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
If you think that is a "brilliant" strategy then you obviously didn't go to business school or ever run a business. Their is no profit to be had in selling out of stock product. A competent company with a desirable product doesn't need to pull an amateurish "short supply" game. I don't think Apple is going to put all it's corporate muscle behind an "iWatch" if it doesn't think it can't sell the heck out of them because its a good product on its own merits. The hype will come w/ "opinion leaders" wearing them, seeing them on TV shows and movies, etc.., just as they used iPods back in the day.

A company's goal is to sell as much product for the quarter as possible, not take backorders. Sometimes backorders are unavoidable, such as when demand exceeds production capability. But to limit sales of regular merchandise as marketing strategy is the equivalent of the company not being in business. We all saw what happened when Apple announced the 27" iMac wouldn't ship in quantity until Jan '13 because of production issues -- it put a damper on Q1 earnings. I don't think Cook wants to repeat that moment. Here is a refresher: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/2...referred-to-announce-the-new-imac-in-january/

I like Apple but let's face it, they are not what it used to be. For the past couple/few years they have maintained what Steve left but they have not had anything really new or innovative. The iphone is basically the same design (with cheaper aluminum casing) and many of the new features announced for iOS 8 are features already existing on android and windows. Even thou allot of people are curious about the new iwatch I know allot of people would rather wait for the 2nd generation.. and no I didn't go to business college but I do know what people are saying and what people want.

Last edited:

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
does NO ONE think this just might mean two separate iWatch models? OMG thats not possible. Lemme complain about it instead.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Now that they have hired 4 writers to take the workload off Arn, they have to do SOMETHING, don't they? I like MR because it concatonates stories from other sites and at least tries to track accuracy as well as maintain a current status of rumors with round-ups. That is the value added. I for one don't object to the ads since they figured a way to tone them down to the point they don't actively interfere with content.

Plus MR is still worlds ahead of places like AI, which often pumps out rhetoric designed to instill hate, allows personal attacks in its debates, and whose most prolific strawman writer attacks his dissenters using sock puppet accounts. (Even AI regulars are tired of that latter childishness.)

MR's articles are written in a mostly factual way, without injecting fanatical comments, and the authors accept criticism without taking offense.

As for ads, a lot of of us contribute yearly, which makes them go away. (Although half the time I'm reading on a tablet where I'm not logged in, and even then they are not a bother.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.