Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Yet another way to bring down the GTAT stock price before their earning call next monday.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
So people will be killing each other literally for an iwatch

----------

A watch is the only jewellery that a man should wear and Apple knows that i think..so a jewellery with health related IS LIFE CHANGER

Life changer? Wow. You must have some life...

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
The past few years they've been moving everything closer and closer to just before the holidays for product launches, probably to maximize sales I'm sure, but it does make for an "everything released all at once" kind of month, just like what they were trying to get away from at the MacWorld announcements once a year.

Everything Apple does these days is to get the big headline sales. They keep releasing right near the holidays, everyone panics to get it, and apple gets its "we've had the biggest weekend ever" headline.

bighype

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
With every un-launched Apple product, every year, like clockwork, there are these unsubstantiated rumors of "delays".

I'm convinced this is all BS designed to sell analyst reports and get clicks from people who still believe this nonsense.

Peruna

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
Indiana
IF Apple is coming out with Sapphire Glass for the iPhone 6s, a much larger surface area, it makes absolutely no sense they could not produce for a much smaller iWatch surface area.

While Sapphire Glass may not be ready for production yet, Apple will not have it for the iPhone and not the iWatch - if there even is an iWatch this fall. It may make sense all Sapphire Glass production is going into the 6s and the iWatches will have to wait.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
There's absolutely NO WAY that Apple is going to ship a new product with completely different watch crystals (clear watch face). NO WAY!

Either they'll all be glass (Gorilla glass, or whatever) or they'll all be sapphire. Period.

Mark

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Every time we post an analyst's prediction, can we also post their previous predictions along with whether or not they were right or wrong?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Clever marketing tactic. The more difficult they make it to buy one the more desirable the iWatch will become and create a whole new "must have" craze intended to whip up hype and media interest which will in turn drive sales later on when they increase supply into the channel. It's exactly the same tactic they've successfuly employed with each new iPhone.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
That's odd that half could be glass, that doesn't really make sense to me. They will probably just wait until they have enough sapphire.

Apple uses more than one supplier for many of their components. With the macbook pros, you had a display panel lottery. Some people would get Samsung displays, some lg displays. Same with iPads, they had displays from more than one supplier. Same with the ssd in their laptops, some are Samsung, some are sandisk, etc. Not all apple products are equal.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Samsung's displays sucked too. Colors weren't as vibrant as the LG's, and had yellowing issues on parts of the screen.

I'd take no ghosting issues over color issues. I couldn't even swipe to switch desktops without getting a headache.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
This is the dumbest rumor ever. The one company that values esthetics and customer experience would never make a move like that. They'd just push the debut back until they were ready

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
How much baseless bs are these analysts going to get away with?
There is no true reporting anymore... It is all about payola and manipulation.
Pathetic... And i see no end in site..........

If you can't beat them just join them... time to double down on AAPL. win-win as far as I can tell.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
That's odd that half could be glass, that doesn't really make sense to me. They will probably just wait until they have enough sapphire.

Multiple models? Low-end gets glass? Apple has been known to hold better parts for flagship devices and use cheaper materials for more cost effective models.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I can hardly believe Apple has issues with making a sapphire cover for the iWatch. It's not difficult to make.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
But as an investor, you don't really need Apple to come out with breakthrough products every few years. You just need Apple to figure out how to monetize their user base and extend their existing products and services into new markets.

Take for example, mobile payments. It won't be a new product, but as an investor, it should get you more excited... Apple taking a cut of every Apple user making a payment with their iPhone will be like printing money.

Then there's the agreement with IBM. More deals like this will extend Apple's reach further into markets where they're weak, steadily increasing sales of their steadily improving products.

And with the cash flow they're generating, they can continue to buy billions of their own stock, steadily increasing earnings and dividends along the way.

I think you'll be fine for years to come.

However, as a long term investor, AAPL has been dead money for two years now - dismal performance - and a 2% dividend is so so. At any rate, we will soon know about that pipeline.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So...it's the Retina Macbooks all over again. Either you get the cheesy ghost-y LG displays, or you get the awesome Samsung displays with no ghosting at all!

take a breath. you are making negative comments about an unconfirmed product and unconfirmed potential issues about said unconfirmed product based on the say of an analyst whose job is to manipulate stock buys and whose source might be the lower regions of his own gastrointestinal track.

----------

nothing comes out for almost the whole year and still every new device seems to have production issues. jikes

it's called "I'm an analyst and I said some stuff that I had zero actual information about and now I am worried that I was wrong but I can't admit that so I'm going to make up rumors that there might be issues so things won't happen the way I said they would but it won't look like its my fault" syndrome

----------

Please do not use that render anymore. The iWatch will look absolutely NOTHING like that.

Unless you have seen it, cause you work at Apple, you can't really say that now can you

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Needs some BRICKS to knock him into some sense.

Ming, choose.... sapphire made or glass made.. or half?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've got several real watches that use sapphire. Millions of watches are sold every year with sapphire crystals. How is it that Apple is having issues when literally no watchmaker in the world does?

There has to be something else that is going on.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Releasing a half baked product with no consistency between devices. Sounds like something Apple would do for sure ...

I think you mean Samsung ? Apple has never brought any product to market before it's ready! Just go back for years on this site and see all the complaints for what is seen as dragging their feet or to slow upgrading or better yet, when is the new stuff coming already?? Doesn't sound like a comp that rushes product to market! :cool:

----------

I've got several real watches that use sapphire. Millions of watches are sold every year with sapphire crystals. How is it that Apple is having issues when literally no watchmaker in the world does?

There has to be something else that is going on.

Their is, no doubt!

ashton18

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
Hopefully they'll know how to identify the ones with normal glass and the ones with sapphire.

It wouldn't be fair to charge customers the same amount of money for something with inferior specs.

It's like saying "Oops, we just ran out of all the 8 megapixel cameras, so we're going to put a 5 megapixel unit in the remaining devices".

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
lol supply shortages. Everything is always a supply shortage. I wonder when Apple will go the route of Nike's resellers and raffle off tickets to buy the new iphone/iwatch/whatever. Seriously every month Foot Locker sends me "Enter for your chance to buy a pair of Jordan Retro X Super Blahs!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.