Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iabacus

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Hawaii
This half glass/half sapphire rumor does not seem to ring true. But who knows, maybe the inexpensive price point for the wearable will have glass instead of sapphire.

I can't fault the analyst though, he is just making semi-educated guesses. Everyone says he is full of it, but things do change/get delayed. If the analyst waited until the product was released in order to be accurate, that would defeat the purpose.

I can't imagine a big market for the iwatch, but maybe I lack imagination. If some of the features like blood glucose measuring actually happens, it could be a game changer.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
No body know what the hell is going on. I'm so sick of these rumors. It's coming out in the fall... It's delayed.... Wait it's on schedule.... It's delayed... Make up ur mind!!!!!!!

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
Not for Apple. Consider the all new "its just a big iPhone" iPad sold 3 million in its first weekend -- Easter weekend no less. iWatch should be priced less and come out at peak holiday gift buying season. 3M is a drop in the bucket, esp. if we are talking worldwide.

Making the iwatch hard-to-get would make it so much more appealing.. isn't that always the case lol. I would consider it a brilliant strategy for the 1st generation of iwatch!

Last edited:

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Making the iwatch hard to get would make it so much more appealing.. isn't that always the case lol. I would consider it a brilliant strategy for the 1st generation of iwatch!

Me too, I've said it before. If it has an important fashion component it can't look mainstream.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
That concept watch is so, so overused on this site. It was clickbait at first, now it's just pandering clickbait.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The watch is the only way to take care in most general of your health. Because it is in touch all the time with your skin. A phone/tablet/mac is not.
A band can do it as well but it can't be fashion or be considered a jewellery

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
This is the one advantage of buying Apple products much later than they are released. You get all the good parts, not the lame or lemon parts. I'm looking at you, 2006 iMac.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
These rumours are just bizarre. They're not going to advertise that the device has a sapphire display and then be like, "Oh, there's a 50% chance your device will have a glass display though."

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Apple won't launch a totally new product like this with only a very limited supply. Just won't happen.

LETS LAUNCH A NEW PRODUCT RIGHT BEFORE XMAS AND NOT HAVE ENOUGH FOR DEMAND!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
When you concatenate all the rumors on iTime we have seen, the indication is the shipments will be massive indeed, but have sapphire, glass, and plastic. Neither plastic nor glass is supply constrained. Sapphire uses the edges leftover from iPhone6 displays from a mold blob that is about the shape of a stone from the Olympics.

This is rumor UPOD.

Rocketman

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
On balance, I tend to agree with your comment about madness. That said, the more months that pass by w/o any exciting, new, innovative, __________, fabulous pipeline releases the more credibility even the "madness" rumors will have.

For over a year now I been very critical of Tim Cook and his leadership group for all the reasons previously stated. My investment dollars (not a trader) have remained primarily with AAPL, which is a vote of confidence that the old culture of Apple will propel some great stuff through that pipeline that Cook keeps touting.

Only a few more months and the rumors will hopefully give way to some positive reality or confirm that there is a big problem at the top.

But as an investor, you don't really need Apple to come out with breakthrough products every few years. You just need Apple to figure out how to monetize their user base and extend their existing products and services into new markets.

Take for example, mobile payments. It won't be a new product, but as an investor, it should get you more excited... Apple taking a cut of every Apple user making a payment with their iPhone will be like printing money.

Then there's the agreement with IBM. More deals like this will extend Apple's reach further into markets where they're weak, steadily increasing sales of their steadily improving products.

And with the cash flow they're generating, they can continue to buy billions of their own stock, steadily increasing earnings and dividends along the way.

I think you'll be fine for years to come.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
The past few years they've been moving everything closer and closer to just before the holidays for product launches, probably to maximize sales I'm sure, but it does make for an "everything released all at once" kind of month, just like what they were trying to get away from at the MacWorld announcements once a year.

It's a boneheaded strategy if you ask me. If they staggered their product launches, they'd keep Apple in the public eye throughout the year, give competitors less media space, generate more traffic to their stores and give customers time to save up for the next product release; all of which would help them sell more products.

Oh yeah, and it would ease manufacturing and supply chain constraints which may improve margins.

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
I stopped wearing a watch years ago. I got a cell phone that had the time. I have no idea why I'd buy or wear one. It'd have to be very cheap and extremely awesome. Do you think it will be waterproof so you could swim in it? I'd be surprised.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Doing sapphire as a premium option makes a lot of sense. It will also highlight if it is so wonderful because those with it will show it off, if it is so wonderful. Then the market will respond.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Im so over this iwatch. I feel its going to be a disappointment. Just like Apples "amazing products in 2014", which will turn out to be nothing all year and a few things before the xmas season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.