Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
These rumors always prevail with every Apple product. Apple seems to have their production down pat with multiple suppliers.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
I find this incredibly hard to believe. Having looked fairly closely at GTAT and their production methods and capacities - ramped up heavily since Apple became involved - producing sapphire watch crystals in massive quantities would seem to be fairly straightforward for them.

I could perhaps be convinced that producing massive quantities both crystals and iPhone screens might lead to some undersupply, but this seems to me to be yet another case of an analyst having to churn out something to meet his employer's briefing publication date.

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
Is that a joke? It's not April fool, neither hacked, right? :p

It funny this can consider to be a rumor. LOL glass?? be common sense man.. haha

I would rather believe it a bit more if there is not cover LOL :apple:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I really don't think this is the case, i don't see Apple making half and half. I think that these rumours are going around because there's not much information on the iPhone 6 and the iWatch, so to juice it up a bit the rumours start.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
With every un-launched Apple product, every year, like clockwork, there are these unsubstantiated rumors of "delays".

I'm convinced this is all BS designed to sell analyst reports and get clicks from people who still believe this nonsense.

Yes, any product going into such large scale production is bound to hit some problems. These can get exaggerated into "major delays".
Sometimes that will be true, e.g. Intel with Broadwell, often they're just hiccups or inventions.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
I can also be an analyst

Maybe each iWatch will have a crack down the middle, with glass on the left and sapphire on the right? That would take care of the supply problem.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Delay…..delay…late….another month…..another year…...

Talk about how to kill the excitement and pace of modern technological innovation.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
lol now that would be shocking if this happened.

this would really really cause a huge outrage.
I can't imagine apple would do something this dumb.

I guess this analyst was in need of some attention.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Yeah. Apple delays product for over a year to improve battery life, build a sapphire plant and in the 11th hour, they decide to let some watches go out half baked. :roll eyes:

Some of the rumors are getting silly. Like stupid political attack ads during an election year, it will all be over soon. :cool:

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Why do all analysts suggest problems. What does it have to be a problem? I don't get it? Am I missing something that because apple hasn't already brought it to market there are major issues like Apple is dumb and can't solve it's problems?

Nope this is a case of a company doing R&D and refining a product before it launches! There are no problems it's called manufacturing, you can't just make a product you need to tool, and design the steps, the product is like 1% of these so called problems the rest is purely designing the machines and processes you never get them right the first time ever! That might be acceptable for other makers but there are no reasons to release a product early with defects.

Sorry KGI but you're wrong they will all have the same display unless there are more than one model, knowing apple they will start will one and refine it until the market is there for more models.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
lol supply shortages. Everything is always a supply shortage. I wonder when Apple will go the route of Nike's resellers and raffle off tickets to buy the new iphone/iwatch/whatever. Seriously every month Foot Locker sends me "Enter for your chance to buy a pair of Jordan Retro X Super Blahs!"

If Apple ever starts regularly making "limited edition" configurations then we can all agree it will have officially jumped the shark and left innovation at the dock.

But for now a "supply shortage" according to an analyst using incomplete data and lots of conjecture does not make for one, especially when the product for which the parts are scarce isn't even in production yet.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Making the iwatch hard-to-get would make it so much more appealing.. isn't that always the case lol. I would consider it a brilliant strategy for the 1st generation of iwatch!

If you think that is a "brilliant" strategy then you obviously didn't go to business school or ever run a business. Their is no profit to be had in selling out of stock product. A competent company with a desirable product doesn't need to pull an amateurish "short supply" game. I don't think Apple is going to put all it's corporate muscle behind an "iWatch" if it doesn't think it can't sell the heck out of them because its a good product on its own merits. The hype will come w/ "opinion leaders" wearing them, seeing them on TV shows and movies, etc.., just as they used iPods back in the day.

A company's goal is to sell as much product for the quarter as possible, not take backorders. Sometimes backorders are unavoidable, such as when demand exceeds production capability. But to limit sales of regular merchandise as marketing strategy is the equivalent of the company not being in business. We all saw what happened when Apple announced the 27" iMac wouldn't ship in quantity until Jan '13 because of production issues -- it put a damper on Q1 earnings. I don't think Cook wants to repeat that moment. Here is a refresher: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/2...referred-to-announce-the-new-imac-in-january/

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
no way

I call BS. apple would NEVER do something like that. if it's not ready, they'll only ship what they have.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Delay…..delay…late….another month…..another year…...

Talk about how to kill the excitement and pace of modern technological innovation.

Well, only if you follow rumours sites. Most people are probably not aware that Apple are planning anything in the watch area let alone what kind of schedule to expect. Apple themselves haven't actually announced anything, so strictly speaking there is no delay and nothing is late.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
So...it's the Retina Macbooks all over again. Either you get the cheesy ghost-y LG displays, or you get the awesome Samsung displays with no ghosting at all!

The reason for the two suppliers is to keep costs down (competition) and to ensure the number of displays are plentiful.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
There has never been a good post that began with the words ...

IN B4

I couldn't agree more.

I have to agree with a previous poster, the watch will have one material for the crystal, not two due to issues.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
I find this incredibly hard to believe. Having looked fairly closely at GTAT and their production methods and capacities - ramped up heavily since Apple became involved - producing sapphire watch crystals in massive quantities would seem to be fairly straightforward for them.

I could perhaps be convinced that producing massive quantities both crystals and iPhone screens might lead to some undersupply, but this seems to me to be yet another case of an analyst having to churn out something to meet his employer's briefing publication date.

GTAT earnings call is next tuesday, so we'll see then.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So...it's the Retina Macbooks all over again. Either you get the cheesy ghost-y LG displays, or you get the awesome Samsung displays with no ghosting at all!

Actually, I bought a maxed out 15 Retina Pro with the "cheesy" LG display and I have, after 4 months, yet to see even the slightest evidence of ghosting. I even tried inducing it, and zippo.

I think the concept that certain issues get blown out of proportion because only people with problems actually post about it is very true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.