Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Aug 16, 2018
@cdf

I have 4x 6TB HDD's in my 4 bays of the cMP. I configured them in RAID5 using SoftRAID.

Unfortunately my Raid pops up in Finder as an external drive, even though the drives are inside the 4 bays.

In SoftRAID forum, they said, this is an issue of Apple since 10.12 (I am using 10.13.6). Is there a way to force my Mac to see the RAID as internal?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
@cdf

I have 4x 6TB HDD's in my 4 bays of the cMP. I configured them in RAID5 using SoftRAID.

Unfortunately my Raid pops up in Finder as an external drive, even though the drives are inside the 4 bays.

In SoftRAID forum, they said, this is an issue of Apple since 10.12 (I am using 10.13.6). Is there a way to force my Mac to see the RAID as internal?

Hmm. If it were a hardware RAID, then I would be pretty confident in saying that we could fix this issue by extending Innie. However, as a software RAID, I'm not so sure... If you want, PM me an IOReg. Use the IORegistryExplorer tool (available here), open it, then save the output, and send it to me. I'll be able to tell you if its possible.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Aug 16, 2018
Hmm. If it were a hardware RAID, then I would be pretty confident in saying that we could fix this issue by extending Innie. However, as a software RAID, I'm not so sure... If you want, PM me an IOReg. Use the IORegistryExplorer tool (available here), open it, then save the output, and send it to me. I'll be able to tell you if its possible.

Send you a PM

misanthrophy

Suspended
Aug 16, 2018
OK. I just had a look. Unfortunately, it appears that the issue can't be fixed in the same way as for PCI drives...

Okay, do you think it is possible at all, or no chance? Just to know if it is worth waiting, or just deal with it, haha.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I've been refraining from giving an opinion on this thread. But, what's the big deal? Internal, External who cares? What magical power does a drive labeled as internal have over a drive recognized as external? The reason for this thread escapes me:eek:

Lou

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I've been refraining from giving an opinion on this thread. But, what's the big deal? Internal, External who cares? What magical power does a drive labeled as internal have over a drive recognized as external? The reason for this thread escapes me:eek:

Lou

You should have kept refraining. I simply don't understand why your post was necessary or helpful. If you don't care about this problem then simply move on. Obviously other people care about it and appreciate that someone not only made an effort to solve it but also to share it with the community. What have you contributed lately? :rolleyes:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Your post contributed absolutely nothing except to personally attack me:rolleyes:

My Post asked a couple of questions!

Lou

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012

Lou

Many people embrace Apple products because of their beauty, both in hardware and software. For them, the appeal of something as small as having macOS properly recognize hard drives is big deal. For others, it comes down to pure functionality—as long as "it just works."

However, having macOS properly recognize hard drives is actually important for making things work. Although, you may not have encountered them, there are at least two situations in which incorrectly recognized drives affect functionality: 1) performing a clean installation of macOS (from another installation that sees the target drives as external) and 2) setting up Windows through Boot Camp. The first situation was particularly frustrating earlier this year for many people trying install High Sierra from scratch on new drives; the installer would simply refuse to proceed, popping up a message about a missing firmware partition. Just yesterday, this situation claimed a victim on our forum (see here). The second situation was deemed such a deal-breaker that OWC, a popular source of Mac upgrades (please refrain from bashing the company—it's beside the point), recently dedicated resources to develop a kernel extension, not unlike the one in this thread, for their PCI drives (see here). (In fact, here is what actually sparked this thread.)

So you see, the issue is kind of a big deal.

Last edited:

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
^^^^Your post contributed absolutely nothing except to personally attack me:rolleyes:

My Post asked a couple of questions!

Lou

If you were curious, you could have simply asked the questions without adding the dismissive "who cares?", since that's a stupid question anyway--three pages in this thread (if you bothered to read them) show that some of us do care.

Understand that not everything that "escapes" you is not a "big deal" to someone else.

Reactions: ssgbryan

Catzjes

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Utrecht, The Netherlands
After the install of Mojave GM my NVME SSD shows internal again, it was showing external on Mojave beta switching to and from HS with SIP enabled :)
I will report later when I switch OS back to HS

EDIT state changes are bold

Mojave GS install
NVME shows internal

Mojave reboot
NVME shows internal

switch to HS
NVME shows external

HS reboot
NVME shows external

switch to Mojave
NVME shows internal

Mojave reboot
NVME shows external

Mojave shutdown/power up
NVME shows external

Mojave reboot
NVME shows external

Back to square one....

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Yes, what is happening, unfortunately, is that by switching between operating systems, unsigned kexts get blocked by SIP (an annoyance with the HDMIaudio kext as well). I don't know if there is a way to prevent this without disabling SIP altogether. Once the kexts are blocked, SIP needs to be disabled and the kexts reinstalled.

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
so, newbie here, I mean, for the first time I finally have a real Mac, a 2009 Mac Pro, and for now my OS have installed with High Sierra 10.13.6 in my 1Tb mechanical hard drive and I have a PCIe NVME ssd. So, if I want to use my NVME ssd, first I have to clone my existing installation to the NVME ssd and then install lilu.kext to the NVME ssd to make my nvme drive recognise as an internal drive, is that correct?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
So, if I want to use my NVME ssd, first I have to clone my existing installation to the NVME ssd and then install lilu.kext to the NVME ssd to make my nvme drive recognise as an internal drive, is that correct?

Let me try to clear things up a bit. With the current version of macOS, your drive will work natively, and with firmware 140.0.0.0.0 (which will be released very soon with 10.14.1), it will also boot natively. However, macOS will see your drive as an external one (the issue is mostly cosmetic, though there are some practical implications). This is where Lilu and Innie come into play. If you want, follow the instructions in post #9, and your drive will be seen as internal.

GSXB

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
England
cMP 4.1/5.1 mojave 10.14.2 beta worked, nice one,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-11 at 14.07.38.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-11 at 14.07.38.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 329
  • Screenshot 2018-11-11 at 14.11.45.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-11 at 14.11.45.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 302

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I rather like the fact that my M.2 970 EVO drive being shown as EXTERNAL means I can instantly spot it on the Desktop.

Odd though that in EFI bootscreen it shows as INTERNAL.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Out of curiosity: has anybody tried Innie with a carrier board like the HighPoint 7101? It should work in principle, but I haven't received any feedback yet.

Reactions: dabotsonline

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It works for SATA SSD installed on a TempoSSD card.
Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 04.47.17.png

This internal / external thing never bother me until I want to setup an account for my daughter on our family computer.

I want her account's desktop can show the external drive (e.g. SD cards / USB thumb drives), but not the boot drive (which is a SSD connected on the TempoSSD card) even she is not admin.

There was no such option natively in Finder. Now, with this fix, I can easily hide all "internal" drives and only shows the real external drives on her desktop.

Thanks cdf providing such a good tool for the community.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I've just installed Innie along Lilu. I don't have any PCI M2 SSDs yet. In fact, no SSD at all, but I do have a USB 3.0 PCI card that I use to attach several external USB 3.0 devices to my Mac Pro 5,1 (running Mojave). I don't know if this was reported before, but, for what's it's worth, here goes: My external devices (and they are indeed external) still appear as external, which, in this case, is precisely what I want. I assume that PCI M2 SSDs, when I install them, will now appear as internal.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
My external devices (and they are indeed external) still appear as external, which, in this case, is precisely what I want. I assume that PCI M2 SSDs, when I install them, will now appear as internal.

That's correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.