Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProPat

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2018
Italy
Hello everyone!
I have a Angelbird MX2 512Gb installed in a Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1

APPLE SSD Wings RAID0

Thank you for that project!
Schermata 2018-12-29 alle 00.49.14.png

Reactions: cdf

les666

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2018
Tried this last night and it was sweet! I got a PCIe ssd SATA III adapter off AliExpress (debroglie brand) and a crucial bx500 240gb ssd from a local shop that had them on sale and now it is showing as an internal drive. May have to switch it with my boot ssd that is mounted in the optical bay. Any issues running bootcamp from a PCIe drive that anyone knows of? Don’t really boot into it very often as I mainly use parallels as I need to use coreldraw a bit when working from home.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Chiming into give a big THANK YOU to cdf :)

I have two Samsung 970 Evo NVMe drives (256GB boot and 1TB user) mounted to an IOCrest IO-PCE2824-TM2 (aka Syba SI-PEX40129) in PCIe slot 2 of a 5,1.

I also have 4 SSDs with data cables attached to a SATA III controller in PCIe slot 4.

All of these drives appear internal, thank you very much!

Four comments:

1) I believe Innie 1.0.9 needs an update to match the latest Lilu 1.3.0. I originally tried this combination but got the following output when trying to update kextcache

Code:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9307f63a40 [0x7fffa74e4b30]> { URL = "Innie.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.innieteam.Innie" }
Innie.kext - no compatible dependency found for as.vit9696.Lilu.
Innie.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9307f62720 [0x7fffa74e4b30]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }

System Information > Extensions also reported dependency errors as seen in the attached screenshot.

Lilu 130 Innie 109 Fail.png

When I tried Innie 1.0.9 with Lilu 1.2.9 all dependencies were allowed and the system behaves as expected.

2) In case someone isn’t contemplating this in advance — be aware that resetting NVRAM (aka zapping PRAM) appears to reset SIP restricted and excepted files. This will cause Innie to be ignored on the reboot. You’ll need to go back into Recovery OS to disable SIP, boot and run the commands in Step 6, go back and enable SIP to carry on — basically you’re rebuilding the SIP exceptions to allow the unsigned Lilu and Innie. I added an alias in my .bashrc file so I can easily run all four commands.

3) Innie seems to survive multiple reboots (both shutdown and restart) so for now I am leaving SIP fully enabled. If it ever gets tedious I may adopt the -without kext (and maybe -without fs) customization, but just now I’m uncertain how much actual vulnerability that might introduce in my daily use.

4) Another reason why it’s good to have these PCIe drives appear internal is because, when allowing the App Store to install a security update which invariably requires a reboot, the boot process may select a non-PCIe drive to boot from (e.g. a boot clone) and install the patch to a different drive than intended. It’s not the end of the world, but it does cause confusion and wastes time by having to install the patch twice. This has happened to me, but I anticipate it won’t anymore with Innie on the job.

Thanks again cdf!

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks, sailmac, for your comprehensive account. I believe that this is the first report of Innie working with a PCI-switched carrier board. Regarding comment 1: the newest version of Lilu (1.3.1) addresses the issue.

Reactions: dabotsonline

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks @cdf for this great help. It really came up when i try to find a solution about this issue.

I have a question now. I am using HS 10.13.6 with bootrom 140.0.0.0 on 960gb kingston predator pcie ssd.

After this kext installed. Anyone able to install bootcamp partitioned windows 10 on pcie disk? I am struggling now. Did it once but it got bootlooped. Now will try legacy install. And let you know guys!

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
It is possible to use this technique with this card “Angelbird MX2”
Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1
Thanks

It says internal on amazon.com. Are you talking about it come up with internally without ant kext?
Edit: sorry my mistake. Understood it after i seen your previous post

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is there anyone now in the macOS developer beta programme?

Someone told me that the latest Mojave developer beta recognise all hard drives on PCIe cards as internal drives. I am not in the beta anymore, can anyone confirm this?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
It is possible to use this technique with this card “Angelbird MX2”
Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1
Thanks

Innie should work with any AHCI or NVMe drive.

Someone told me that the latest Mojave developer beta recognise all hard drives on PCIe cards as internal drives. I am not in the beta anymore, can anyone confirm this?

Interesting! Hopefully somebody can verify this.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

That's a bit sad. It seems he may hit some "positive bug" in the macOS, but not Apple intentionally fix this issue.

This is from Developer Joe
50084481_1844300455692347_9101189326909210624_n.jpg

He told me that he never install innie, and after one of the beta update, all his drive but one show as internal.

If he has innie installed. All drivers should shows as internal. So, this screen capture actually supported that he didn't lie to me.

And he said after the latest 10.14.3 beta 3 update. All his drives now shows as internal.

P.S. The remaining external one is on the Highpoint card. And the other 3 drivers are all shows as internal on the same Highpoint card.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
That's a bit sad. It seems he may hit some "positive bug" in the macOS, but not Apple intentionally fix this issue.

This is from Developer Joe
View attachment 815606

He told me that he never install innie, and after one of the beta update, all his drive but one show as internal.

If he has innie installed. All drivers should shows as internal. So, this screen capture actually supported that he didn't lie to me.

And he said sadder the latest 10.14.3 beta 3 update. All his drives now shows as internal.

P.S. The remaining external one is one the Highpoint card. And the other 3 drivers are all shows as internal on the same Highpoint card.
I just clean installed 10.14.2 and upgraded to 10.14.3 DP4 to check this. Didn't installed HighPoint SSD7101A drivers:
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 19.24.59.png

Kon_Kipa

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2016
Australia
The kext is called "Innie" and is a Lilu plugin. Lilu is an open-source kext that provides a unified platform to apply various fixes (see https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu). For our testing purposes, I recommend the latest debug version (see the releases page).

An updated version of Innie that works with any SATA (AHCI) or NVMe device has been attached to this post.

Warning: Please make sure that you understand the risks of trying early releases of software, particularly kexts. Back up all data. Should your system become unbootable, you will need to get into recovery mode, open terminal, and delete Lilu by entering the following command:

Code:
rm -r /Volumes/"Macintosh HD"/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext

(You may have to replace "Macintosh HD" by the actual name of your system disk in quotation marks, if it is different.)

To install Innie, please carry out these steps:

0) Disable SIP. (SIP can be enabled again after.)
1) Download Lilu. The file (unzipped) will be called Lilu.kext.
2) Control-click on Lilu.kext and select Show Package Contents. You will see the folder "Contents." Open it.
3) In Contents, create a new folder called "Plugins" (exactly like this, but without quotation marks, of course). This is where Innie (and any other plugins) will live.
4) Copy Innie into the Plugins folder.
5) Now copy Lilu.kext to /Library/Extensions. You will need to authorize this.
6) Open terminal. Enter the following commands:

Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

Wait for the last command to complete.
7) Reboot.

If all goes well, your drive will now be seen as internal, just like mine.
tried this with latest version of LiLu 1.3.1 (Debug) & keep getting error message LiLu.kext omitted as well as the Innie.kext is getting omitted

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
tried this with latest version of LiLu 1.3.1 (Debug) & keep getting error message LiLu.kext omitted as well as the Innie.kext is getting omitted

It seems that the kexts are not being installed properly. Make sure that SIP is actually disabled. Entering "csrutil status" in terminal should tell you if it is. If not, reboot into recovery again and disable SIP.

Once you are sure that SIP is disabled, try installing again. Move Lilu.kext (which according to steps 2-4 should contain Innie.kext) out of /Library/Extensions (to the desktop, for example). Rerun the last two commands of step 6. Rerun them until you see "KernelCache ID: ...". Now move Lilu.kext back, carrying out steps 5 and 6. Repeat the last last two commands of step 6 until you see "Kext with invalid signatured ... allowed ..." and "KernelCache ID: ...". Then reboot.

astonius86

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
I happened to be checking the status of my kexts to make sure they were up to date and noticed my SM951 was no longer TRIM enabled. It used to be, but obviously something changed. I ran `sudo trimforce enable`, y, y, got the success message, rebooted, and.... still disabled. I tried it with SIP both enabled and disabled, and neither way worked despite getting messaging to the contrary. I have Lilu 1.3.1 with Innie 1.0.9 installed. Any idea what's going on?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Any idea what's going on?

Strange. I can tell you that Innie should not interfere with TRIM. Many here are using Innie with TRIM enabled. My understanding is that the trimforce command installs a codeless kext called AppleDataSetManagement. Maybe you can check if this kext is loaded.

astonius86

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
Strange. I can tell you that Innie should not interfere with TRIM. Many here are using Innie with TRIM enabled. My understanding is that the trimforce command installs a codeless kext called AppleDataSetManagement. Maybe you can check if this kext is loaded.

It says it's Loadable, but it's not currently loaded:

AppleDataSetManagement:

Version: 1.0.0
Last Modified: 12/7/18, 10:03 PM
Bundle ID: com.apple.AppleDataSetManagement
Loaded: No
Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Inc. 2015
Obtained from: Apple
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleDataSetManagement.kext
Kext Version: 1.0.0
Loadable: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied
Signed by: Software Signing, Apple Code Signing Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Would my SIP settings have anything to do with it?

csrutil status

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:

Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: enabled
DTrace Restrictions: enabled
NVRAM Protections: disabled
BaseSystem Verification: enabled

Also, what about the fact I have my drive partitioned?

astonius86

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
Well I figured out the problem. I apparently tried to use AHCI3rdPartySATA.kext at some point to make the drive appear as internal. I don't remember doing this when I reformatted for Mojave, but I guess I did. Removing this .kext and resetting the kextcache fixed the issue. Thanks for the info, guys.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Well I figured out the problem. I apparently tried to use AHCI3rdPartySATA.kext at some point to make the drive appear as internal. I don't remember doing this when I reformatted for Mojave, but I guess I did. Removing this .kext and resetting the kextcache fixed the issue. Thanks for the info, guys.

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.