Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Quoting from the BlizzardInsider coverage of this morning's developer Q&A: said:
10:21 a.m. Can we fly in Legion or are we grounded? Hazzikostas says “eventually.” The Warlords solution will be the template going forward. After you’ve explored the Legioncontent, you’ll be able to unlock it. The first steps of the achievement will be available in patch 7.0 so you have some idea of what you need to do and progress toward it from the beginning.​

Well, there ya go. Those wanting it can grind for it. I think I'll probably take a pass just like this time around. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Hopefully they are smart and it's a grind you can do while leveling. Grinding in of itself isn't too bad as long as you are leveling as well. It's the max level grinding that leads to burn out.

Reactions: Dirtyharry50

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
Hopefully they are smart and it's a grind you can do while leveling. Grinding in of itself isn't too bad as long as you are leveling as well. It's the max level grinding that leads to burn out.
I think that's the implication from the quote. Still, I hope they don't use it to force players into certain content (e.g., WoD Apexis dailies) that they might otherwise skip.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I think that's the implication from the quote. Still, I hope they don't use it to force players into certain content (e.g., WoD Apexis dailies) that they might otherwise skip.

They may, but really depends how the Beta goes. If players see something like forcing grinds upon them after WoD, they'll most likely revolt at this rate. lol. =[

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WoW Classic!
do i have to say thread revival?? :p
July 2019: Blizzard is gearing up to launch WoW Classic, and my guild is preparing to jump in. Surprisingly, I find myself also preparing to join. Setting up characters is enabled starting Aug 13th, with the game itself available at the end of the Month.

Is anyone here going to take the leap? If so, maybe you can entertain these questions. :D

I have a Battlenet account. It seems that as I swore WoW was history as in Dead Sea Scrolls history, so I uninstalled it.

This link: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/wowclassic says “for installing the Classic version, in the drop down region menu, select WoW Classic”. I’m not seeing that yet, and presume that it will appear at some point closer to the 13th? Answering this question, will answer the second question below.

More questions:
Does WoW reside within the Battlenet folder or is it installed as a separated entity?

I own 3 or 4 expansions, and I really don’t want to reinstall all of that. Is anyone familiar with the process? If I click on World of Warcraft, install, will I be given options or will the entire thing including every expansion I ever purchased?

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I stopped playing 8 years ago. Used to be a hardcore player.
I installed it separately (extensions included), but how it works now I don't have a clue.
Nevertheless, most probably I will check the "new version" out.
The 40 men raids back?

Reactions: Huntn

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I’m not seeing that yet, and presume that it will appear at some point closer to the 13th?
I believe that that's the case.

Does WoW reside within the Battlenet folder or is it installed as a separated entity?
By default it sits in /Applications/World of Warcraft. It'll only install the files needed for Classic, not any of the other expansions.

Once it's installed, you can launch it directly and don't need to go via the Battle.net app (you only need to use the app to download updates).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I stopped playing 8 years ago. Used to be a hardcore player.
I installed it separately (extensions included), but how it works now I don't have a clue.
Nevertheless, most probably I will check the "new version" out.
The 40 men raids back?
I have no clue. 40 player raids was never my thing, too much like work.
[doublepost=1564456098][/doublepost]
I believe that that's the case.

By default it sits in /Applications/World of Warcraft. It'll only install the files needed for Classic, not any of the other expansions.

Once it's installed, you can launch it directly and don't need to go via the Battle.net app (you only need to use the app to download updates).
When you launch Battlenet and choose WoW, there are two drop down menus: Region (North America if you live there) and Version: WoW Classic, then hit install. You can do that today, I did this morning, about 4.6GB, just the stuff for Classic.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
More questions:

I own 3 or 4 expansions, and I really don’t want to reinstall all of that. Is anyone familiar with the process? If I click on World of Warcraft, install, will I be given options or will the entire thing including every expansion I ever purchased?

it'll install everything to date, but you just won't be able to access content outside the xpacs you have purchased up to.

The whole Classic WoW dealio is a personal decision for most folks. Personally, been there, done that and zero interests to repeat the long grinds and all that. But I know a lot of folks, especially those who really didn't experience Vanilla WoW (and some who did), who are super psyched about it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
it'll install everything to date, but you just won't be able to access content outside the xpacs you have purchased up to.

The whole Classic WoW dealio is a personal decision for most folks. Personally, been there, done that and zero interests to repeat the long grinds and all that. But I know a lot of folks, especially those who really didn't experience Vanilla WoW (and some who did), who are super psyched about it.
Actually, I acquired the answer to this. If you don’t currently have WoW installed, you can install just WOW Classic. In Battlenet, select WoW, and under the version drop down, select: Classic WoW. This will install only that version of the game, not the regular game and all of the expansions you may own.

Because the game can be played without purchase, just a monthly subscription, and guild mates are jumping in, I will wiggle my toes in the water and see if it sucks me in, or turns out to be, been there, done that. It very well may be the latter. However I am currently on a second run through of Fallout 4 and enjoying it immensely, so you never know! ;)

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Have they posted the system reqs for classic?

Is it the same as the latest expansions or more closer to the older expansions?

I have a 2010 MBP that works for everything that used to run WoW just fine up until the last 2 expansions. Of course, I didn't know that it wouldn't until I paid full price for Legion and was lucky to pull 4fps in the middle of nowhere just by myself with everything turned to low.

My MBP is still a champ that runs every thing else I need, so still not looking to upgrade.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's not as resource hungry as the modern game, but it's still a great deal more bloated than it used to be. I haven't seen any documented requirements though.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The official requirements were announced yesterday.

OS 10.12, 2 GHz i5, 1 GB Metal-capable GPU, 2 GB RAM (or 4 GB if Intel graphics).

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
You can install any blizz game wherever you choose on your Mac. But it does have a default in /Applications/WorldofWarcraft. I have a late 2013 27" iMac (3.5ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB GeForce GTX 775M). It has a 500gb SSD and I also installed a 6TB spinning hard drive in it in the open slot. Both retail-wow and the classic beta are on the spinning drive. Classic played great on this.

You do not need the most recent version of 'retail'-wow. You just need a subscription to WoW in order to play classic. The bnet launcher let's you choose between wow and wow classic (as well as ptr/beta versions of the game).

I'm a vanilla wow player and still play to this day. Though not hardcore like I did from vanilla-wrath. But I've played every expansion on release day and plan to do so with classic. Classic/TBC are still my favorite times in this game.

I was in the classic beta and spent a couple of hours playing it. Loved it! Couldn't do a lot as it was overcrowded but I was having a lot of fun. It may be some nostalgia but the game today is nothing like it was then. A lot of the 'conveniences' in retail-wow have taken away that immersion that I loved over a decade ago. I'm truly excited to play this.

Edit: Not sure how many in my guild are going to play Classic (we've been together since vanilla and formed our guild in TBC)...but if anyone here is looking for a group maybe we can put something together.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I suppose that means you haven't been playing the test version! It's still open for another 20 hours if you want to give it a go :)
I looked that up, and just saw that I had missed the stress test, but it was only 1 day and thought that was it. Then I saw a couple of servers and thought what was that?... I’m getting stupid in my old age, but I searched online and saw nothing about test servers. But I’m happy to wait.

As I said, much of this is engraved in my mind and can’t say if I’ll be sticking with it. I’ll be starting most likely in Teldressel. I’ll create 3 characters today, a Night Elf, two humans or one human and one gnome. I’m thinking Hunter, Priest, Paladin, or Warlock.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@Nermal, I'm US Central time, just checked and there are 3 US Realms up, Blaumeux, Barov and Stalagg, I assume these are the test servers, you referenced. I'm waiting for my guild's PVE Classic server to appear for character creation. My impression, around 3pm today, but not sure what time zone.

Update: maybe more like 11pm-12AM today, but still not sure of the time zones for that time. Pacific or Eastern?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unfortunately I'm going to be on the road when Classic hits. Although I have mostly given up gaming on my MacBookPro, I think it can handle WoW Classic so I have it installed it.

I'm seriously considering installing the WoW Starter Edition, just so I can play around in the Starting area. Does anyone have a clue if the WoW Starter Edition is more like Vanilla or is it it after the time when Aseroth got ripped up by whatever that event was?

Regarding WoW Classic Addons
I’ve looked at both CurseForge (Twitch) and WoW Interface, and for now I’m going with the WoW Interface Mod Manager called Minion, just because it seemed to have a few more mods supported, at least the mods I’m picking. It does not look like the Carbonite developer is going to come out with a Classic Version of that outstanding mod, but I could be wrong about that.

I don’t claim to be a WoW Mod expert so I’m happy for any constructive feedback regarding this list! Thanks!

Using Minion except for Sell Junk, I have used minion to instal the following Mod on both my Mac and PC version of Classic Wow.
  • Atlas World Map Classic
  • Bagnon- Bag manager.
  • Classic LFG- Classic Group Finder
  • Postal- Mail interface
  • Sell Junk- Think about disabling this before Swamp of Sorrows . because there is a quest in the Swamp of Sorrows that relies on a grey item: Noboru’s Cudgel. Manually installed, but there is another mod called tekJunkSeller which can be installed through Minion.
  • Tweak Wow- Makes it easy to change settings, but I’ve not tested it yet.
  • Weak Auras2 Classic- Provides info on buff duration and the like.
  • World Quest Tracker- See Carbonite comment above.
[doublepost=1566072870][/doublepost]
Character reservation opened ~40 minutes ago. Hopefully you figured out the timezone in time!

I nabbed mine :)
Me too, I grabbed 3 toons, that first day and was able to snag 3 of my old favorite beta names on Mankirk. I went to make 3 more on another server and it would not let me. -_-
-NE Hunter
-Human Priest
-Gnome Mage or Warlock

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I meant as far as the changes to the landscape

I jumped last night into the starter edition, and I was surprised that the toons I had from my original Starter Edition playing where not there, I guess because it’s starter edition. I don't recall Teldressel being effected by the rift that ripped up the landscape around Stormwind, but the Teldressel starter area was as I remember it and as incredibly easy as I remember it (SE) even easier as a hunter, I did not remember starting off with a pet in the original. As I recall in the original game as a hunter you did not get a pet until you tamed one at L10, you had to feed it and make arrows for your bow.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As I recall in the original game as a hunter you did not get a pet until you tamed one at L10, you had to feed it and make arrows for your bow.
Need I repeat "full of handholding"? :)

Some of the zones have changed drastically (e.g. Barrens, Westfall) and others not so much.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Need I repeat "full of handholding"? :)

Some of the zones have changed drastically (e.g. Barrens, Westfall) and others not so much.
I was agreeing with you. :) It will be nice to see the original Westfall. However, if anything the Starter Edition is not making me feel good about WoW, it’s so easy. I may just wait for next week and Classic.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
OK, I will be playing Classic and this time around I am planning on using Addons, can anybody tell me the Addons to go for and are they on CurseForge

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.