Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tipopilota

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
I started the install over an hour ago and it is stuck at the apple log and with a progress bar about 30% and a message below stating “installation is in progress: Calculating TIme Reaming. It has been at this spot for probably 45 Minutes. Any suggestions. I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Model

Reactions: Howard Brazee

nightowl58

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Aurora, Colorado
I started the install over an hour ago and it is stuck at the apple log and with a progress bar about 30% and a message below stating “installation is in progress: Calculating TIme Reaming. It has been at this spot for probably 45 Minutes. Any suggestions. I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Model

I'm in the same boat, waiting to see.

numgis

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
My 2017 MBP is doing the same thing, stuck at about 30% with "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..." It's been like this for 3 hours now, the progress bar is not moving. Is there any way to tell if it is actually working or if the install has crashed somehow? What can I do, eventually do I just power it off and hope it will power back on and resume install or boot?

Traug

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
My 2017 MBP is doing the same thing, stuck at about 30% with "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..." It's been like this for 3 hours now, the progress bar is not moving. Is there any way to tell if it is actually working or if the install has crashed somehow? What can I do, eventually do I just power it off and hope it will power back on and resume install or boot?

My 2013 mbp has been stuck for 3+ hours now too. Said “calculating time remaining” for the last 2 hours, stuck at about 30%. I shut the screen and reopened, now there’s just a mouse and a blank screen. Scared to shut down, going to wait out overnight probably

numgis

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
My 2013 mbp has been stuck for 3+ hours now too. Said “calculating time remaining” for the last 2 hours, stuck at about 30%. I shut the screen and reopened, now there’s just a mouse and a blank screen. Scared to shut down, going to wait out overnight probably

Wow that sucks, yeah I'm going to go to bed soon and hope it has finished by the time I wake up. If not, guess i will have to power it off and back on to see what happens next. Love how both Apple and Microsoft have done away with useful progress messages and percentage readouts in favour of dumbing things down for the general public. If the install was counting out sectors being encrypted or whatever it was doing at least there would be proper feedback as to what is happening. Even in basic HDD light that flashes to indicate some life would be useful but even that is gone... :(

nightowl58

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Aurora, Colorado
Not sure how to tell, but mine did finished in about 3 hours give or take. Though I had to do it in recovery mode, since the initial attempt didn't complete properly in 2 hours, and caused the mac to going to kernel panic upon boot up.

Traug

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Not sure how to tell, but mine did finished in about 3 hours give or take. Though I had to do it in recovery mode, since the initial attempt didn't complete properly in 2 hours, and caused the mac to going to kernel panic upon boot up.
A similar thing happened to me I think. Called Apple support and they said I interrupted the progress by closing the screen. Restarted and got all kinds of kernel messages on my screen. Had to install in recovery mode, so I’m back to where I started now. Just going to wait it out. Says installing: 40 minutes remaining but it said that initially before all of this. Although the progress bar is more at like 45% opposed to the 30% it was stuck at

Traug

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Honestly think mine may have hung up originally due to low battery. I was an idiot and started the update with like 10% battery. Full battery now and it’s at 50%+ with 30 minutes remaining
[doublepost=1506392236][/doublepost]
I started my install 3 hours ago sand am still looking at this message. Anyone get through this?
Does it say calculating time remaining?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Honestly think mine may have hung up originally due to low battery. I was an idiot and started the update with like 10% battery. Full battery now and it’s at 50%+ with 30 minutes remaining
[doublepost=1506392236][/doublepost]
Does it say calculating time remaining?
Yup, calculating time remains. I left with two macs updating. One finished and one is just stuck.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
A lot of people are having the same problem. I miss the Yosemite and earlier installers when you were able to view the log file during the installation. This would have helped in this situation. Instead, they made it iOS-like by hiding the ability to do anything (view the log file, detailed progress, change networks) during the install progress. We're now presented with a simple black/white screen with the Apple logo and the progress bar. That's it. Scary in situations like this.

Commodore 64

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Anyone waited this out and know how long time it takes? Or will it never end?

I downloaded and installed last night. Download was done in a couple of minutes. I left the room when the installer did the time left estimation. Not sure exactly how long I was out (maybe an hour...), but when I got back the installation was done (I filled in my iCloud password) and everything worked fine. Tested some programs and shut down my MacBook Pro (mid 2012 hdd). When I turned it back on this morning it stuck at the Apple logo with progress bar. The bar is all black so it looks like it’s done loading. Been like this for almost 2 hours!

Anyone got the same at startup or only during installation?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I’m stuck at a grey boot looking screen with an Apple logo, status bar is about 1/6 and been there for about 45 minutes. There is no text on the screen.

I’ve gotta go to sleep. It’s been a long day and I need to get up early. Hope it works out ok and the power doesn’t go out.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Downloading High Sierra took 4 hours ( ADSL ) and then around 50 minutes to install to a brand new Yosemite spinner HD.
Every thing is working well so far.

numgis

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
So after about 8 hours of the progress bar being stuck at 30% I finally powered off the MBP. When powered back on it asked me for my password and then displayed some panic and debug info on the screen (in plain text) and then restarted and the process just repeated. Lucky for me I had created a bootable USB disk of High Sierra to install on my 2010 MBP so I booted off that, ran Disk Utility and First Aid which said my disk was OK, and then restarted the install from the USB. This time it upgraded without hiccups and only took about 40 minutes. Once it restarted I was up and running with High Sierra and my disk has been converted to APFS as well. Whew, didn't lose all my data and settings, although I do have a TimeMachine backup I didn't want to have to resort to that. So far all my apps seem to work ok with High Sierra although knowing Apple there will be bugs, their quality control these days would have Mr. Jobs spinning in his grave.

ot73nl

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
I had this problem too. After waiting for about 10 hours decided to reboot in to recovery mode and it worked. Didn't loose any data as well.

mas90guru

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
Connecticut
Same problem and error message. Waited 10 hours. Still stuck on the same message. Rebooted to recovery and trying again. Now it is showing me 36 minutes remaining so hopefully, the recovery mode will work.

27" iMac 5K

mike9

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Germany
Same here 2016 iMac - 1TB SD - stuck at 30% for the last 4 hours. This is the worst user experience I‘ve seen when upgrading - feels like the product is simply not ready. I‘ll give it another 6 hours ...

Reactions: Tatunes

CapeTownMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Same here 2016 iMac - 1TB SD - stuck at 30% for the last 4 hours. This is the worst user experience I‘ve seen when upgrading - feels like the product is simply not ready. I‘ll give it another 6 hours ...
[doublepost=1506426722][/doublepost]I've been stuck with the bar at 30% and the message "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..." for about 7 hours. Has anyone had a successful install after this amount of time? I'm running a 2015 Macbook Pro with a 1TB SSD drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.