Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prateek90

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Mine is stuck too for about 1 hour and 10 minutes (I know, not as long as the rest of you) About 30% (just past the “e” in “progress”). Calculating time remaining... argh.

See my post above. It should fix this for you. Mine was too stuck at "e" haha.

Reactions: Sheboygan

Identikit

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
See my post above. It should fix this for you. Mine was too stuck at "e" haha.

Thank you! I saw that and will definitely try it, but I figure I’ll give it another couple of hours since Apple told me it could take “several hours”. The support tech also told me not to reboot as I risk losing data (I stupidly thought I had everything backed up to iCloud but forgot to copy over my Logic Pro directory).

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012

Hi Guys, I finally found a fix for this issue.

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernal commands. Got me really scared as i didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing my data :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time to finish its process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I dont know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick. It didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra :cool::cool:

Also got the same issue.

Been stuck on a grey screen for 3ish hours with the progress bar about 1/3rd of the way through.

Guess I’ll try the steps listed above!

Followed these steps and it successfully installed with all data left intact!

bjroot

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
I faced the same issue but was able to get through it.

Install appeared "stuck" at about 45% with "Calculating Time Remaining." After about 5 hours, I performed a hard reset. System would boot, but after entering FileVault password, system displayed the panic debug info and rebooted. NVRAM reset didn't help and I was unable to boot into safe mode. Running Disk Utility in Recovery Mode also didn't help. Still the same panic and debug info immediately after logging on.

I went back into Recovery Mode and started the OS reinstall. At this point it was 1 AM, so I went to bed while the machine download the OS installation package. When I woke up, the machine was powered down. I powered it on and upgrade resumed. It appeared to be making progress: 30%, 38%, 40%, 45%, then... Calculating Time Remaining.

I thought maybe I hadn't given enough time previously. I allowed the install to continue all day. Zero progress. Finally, after 8 hours, I threw in the towel and performed another hard reset (figuring I'll need to restore from Time Machine backup). The system booted, asked for my FileVault password, rebooted and continued install. After another hour, the logon screen was displayed. I logged on, waited about 10 minutes, and finally am up and running with High Sierra.

Why this process worked, who knows. Frustrating.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
+1. Freeze on upgrade on a 2015 MBP. Reboot to kernel panic. Boot to recovery mode for install.

Every release seems to get a little buggier. Same with iOS and WatchOS.

UPDATE:

Took two retries booting to recovery mode for my MBP to install, finally. MBA, though...retried about 10 times already and it still won't upgrade. "macOS could not be installed on your computer"..."Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again". Endless loop of reboot and retry.

Who the hell let this crap ship?

Last edited:

ogr3

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I tried to update one MBP late 2011 and one early 2013 yesterday. The retina one failed exactly as described stuck on calculating time remaining with about 35% on the progress bar.

After waiting for 7 hours I force turned it off and started the steps described - starting in recovery, fix disk, start in internet recovery and reinstall OS.

I left home during the OS install. Will report back when I see how it went.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernal commands. Got me really scared as i didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing my data :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time to finish its process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I dont know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick. It didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra :cool::cool:

Thanks for this, I updated my Macbook all went ok so I tried it on my works iMac and it got stuck... just about finished the recovery. I didn't backup a really important project, about a week's worth of work which would be suicidal if I lost it.

ogr3

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I tried to update one MBP late 2011 and one early 2013 yesterday. The retina one failed exactly as described stuck on calculating time remaining with about 35% on the progress bar.

After waiting for 7 hours I force turned it off and started the steps described - starting in recovery, fix disk, start in internet recovery and reinstall OS.

I left home during the OS install. Will report back when I see how it went.

When I came home the system was updated and at the login screen.

On the first login I was greeted with a crash log since the computer had some kind of failure during sleep probably after the installation was done.

Second thing was Docker for mac which failed to start - needed to be reset to app defaults.

Crossover failed to start as some python dependency failed.

After fixing those and updating homebrew and installing xcode command line tools the computer seems OK again.

Really bad upgrade experience, but glad that the posts here helped!

reilogix

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Carlsbad, CA USA
I'm in I.T. support and I'm upgrading a 2014 MBP 15" from 10.12.6 to 10.13 and I've been stuck at "About 2 minutes remaining" for over 2 hours. Come ON, Apple!! Thank GOD that my end users do not have admin permissions--otherwise our help desk would be flooded with calls. I love you Apple, but f*ck this. TEST. YOUR. SHI*T. Ahem.

Last edited:

dasayheykid

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2016
Decided to take the plunge yesterday afternoon and update my 2011 Mac Mini, which is a dedicated HTPC...Sweet Baby Yeezus, am I happy I only bricked the mini and not my other macs. It wont update to High Sierra, same DiskManagement 0 error other here are seeing. Before that error, it hung for about 5 hours at "Calculating time remaining", then gave me the big FU error with "macOS could not be installed on your computer" Tried the install about 6 times, then gave up.

So i've formatted the drive, because again thankfully its only my HTPC, and no time machine backups. Putting back Sierra now.

Apple you F*cked up with this release! Bricking installs is a feature now?

skallam

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017

I had the same issues as others here and stumbled across this thread from a google search. It took me 2 attempts to complete step 4 (first time it hung halfway through the install of a new copy and was still there the next morning so I cancelled out) but High Sierra is all working now so I registered here just to say thanks for sharing @Prateek90 :).

Reactions: Apple_Robert

icony

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
i have got the same problem and did a hard reset (with power button). After restart i saw the login screen. When trying to enter in account but mac crashing and restarted again to back to login screen.
Then i restart Mac with holding Opt key. On next screen i choose to start mac from "Mac Installation". Then i wait 3+ hours and installation finished. Now its fine

mwoop

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Same issue here, still not solved.

This already took me a full working day now. Funny thing: safe booting into the system tells me that High Sierra 10.13 is installed on my machine. However, regular booting tells me that macOS could not be installed and path to /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg is damaged or missing. Reinstallation stucks as described in the topic of this thread and so the loop begins.

I already contacted Apple support and we tried this and that: nothing really worked. Hotline guy opened an official ticket and expects an answer in 1-2 days.

ateganda29

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernel commands. Got me really scared as I didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing any data. :)

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time (10 minutes or so) to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I don't know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick and it didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra with all my files intact. :cool::cool:

Hello everyone!

I'm on the same boat as you guys. Tried upgrading my MBP 2015 running macOS Sierra to macOS High Sierra yesterday and got stuck on the "Installation in progress. Calculating time remaining..." and that's how I came across this thread.

Since this is my first time encountering such issue and rebooting on Recovery and Internet Recovery Mode, please excuse the noob question: Do I hold down the Command + R and Command + Option + R until the progress bar is filled and it actually reaches the Recovery and Internet Recovery Modes respectively? Or I can release holding down the buttons once the progress bar appears? Thanks!

mwoop

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Do I hold down the Command + R and Command + Option + R until the progress bar is filled and it actually reaches the Recovery and Internet Recovery Modes respectively? Or I can release holding down the buttons once the progress bar appears? Thanks!

Release when Apple logo/progress bar appears.

mwoop

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
I solved my issue:

It looks like my Master Boot Record has been corrupted during upgrading to High Sierra. Using Disk Utility I simply created a second (small) partition which probably creates a new Master Boot Record or fixes a defective one. Not exactly sure what happened, however my system started fine again afterwards. I removed the newly created partition and everything is fine right now.

Not sure if this is helping anyone else. My machine wasn't working for almost two days (except in safe mode) and Apple support had now idea how to solve this.

Regards from Germany!

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Mine is stuck too for about 1 hour and 10 minutes (I know, not as long as the rest of you) About 30% (just past the “e” in “progress”). Calculating time remaining... argh.

I am stuck same progress bar same area like you. Hoping it will move. I didn’t check how long it been. Think I leave it hour or 2 see what happen.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Posted in another thread: I upgraded my 3 MacBook Pro's and had installer issues on each and every one of them.

I remember having problems with Yosemite, El Capitan as well. So I count on Apple things going wrong, simple as that.
And if they would turn out right, I'd be disappointed and pleasantly surprised at the same time (but that won't happen anytime soon, I'm sure).

High Sierra installer, for me = big fat buggy mess. All I wanted was access to my new and fresh system, which Apple failed to deliver me 3 times out of 3. That is an impressive 100% score.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I never have installer fail for me since OS X Lion. How long should I leave it before I need reboot in safe mode?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I never have installer fail for me since OS X Lion. How long should I leave it before I need reboot in safe mode?
I left my 3rd failing installation process go on doing whatever it was doing (or not) for about 20 minutes, then called AppleCare.
I will not reboot in safe mode without an Apple technician telling me to, because I fail to see the point.
An installer should work. period.
So, if I were in your position, I'd pick up the phone...
Good luck, I hope you'll get it solved.

Wanna know something funny? While I type this, I was downloading iOS11 through iTunes with my iPad Air2 connected. After the download, the installation failed. Am I pissed? You bet I am. :mad::mad::mad:

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I left my 3rd failing installation process go on doing whatever it was doing (or not) for about 20 minutes, then called AppleCare.
I will not reboot in safe mode without an Apple technician telling me to, because I fail to see the point.
An installer should work. period.
So, if I were in your position, I'd pick up the phone...
Good luck, I hope you'll get it solved.

Wanna know something funny? While I type this, I was downloading iOS11 through iTunes with my iPad Air2 connected. After the download, the installation failed. Am I pissed? You bet I am. :mad::mad::mad:

Hmmm. Phone call one thing I cannot do. I see if there any live chat option in app or something.

Edit: Lucky Apple do have live chat option in Support app. Going through it with support. They had me do cmd + option + R and now resintall macOS.

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Well now installation works this time after Apple support in Live Chat.
Yay, good for you! AppleCare has been of great help to me too.
Apple itself on the other hand... hard to believe what level they've sunken to.
Out of my 7 (macOS 10.13 + iOS11) upgrades only 2 actually worked: my iPhone SE and iPad Pro 10.5.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.